PDA

View Full Version : A/2/20th

tojomo
02-20-2005, 13:29
I'm just looking for anyone from the chicago area, that may be able to answer a few ?'s. about joining the Unit there. Thanks in advance.

kusinagaraDB
02-20-2005, 16:23
Oh, some competition? I've been wanting to tryout for the unit as well.

-Scott

Team Sergeant
02-20-2005, 16:36
Why not call them and ask questions?

Just a thought :cool:

Team sergeant

A Co. 2nd Bn/ 20th SFG(A) is located in Chicago, IL. For all inquires please contact (312) 808-8821 / 8822

tojomo
02-20-2005, 19:04
Just trying to find someone i can pm to ask specific ?'s while out of country. Thanks for the info.

t-rex2025
02-20-2005, 19:05
TS is posted the best source of information to the unit. The Company AGR OPS NCO is the best person to ask when it comes to joining the unit. If you answers are still not satisfied or feel that you don't want to ask a stupit question. I will be glad to give you the email (with there permission) of several unit members I am good friends with.

Most of the guys in the unit would be glad to answer your questions and provide advice. If interested in these contacts please request through PM.

T-Rex

Vulture62
03-27-2005, 22:48
Can anyone tell me about little bit more about the general requirements to join the NG SF unit.It's been a year since I ETS'd and I was wondering if someone in my situation would have to go through the basic training again (4 weeks) and also if you can go straight to the unit without joining the regular guard unit and having to transfer to the SF unit.I also plan to join A/2/20 th in summer.

Thanks.

zippy
03-28-2005, 10:08
Can anyone tell me about little bit more about the general requirements to join the NG SF unit.It's been a year since I ETS'd and I was wondering if someone in my situation would have to go through the basic training again (4 weeks) and also if you can go straight to the unit without joining the regular guard unit and having to transfer to the SF unit.I also plan to join A/2/20 th in summer.

Thanks.

I believe your answer lies within this thread, a couple of posts up. ;)

Kyobanim
03-28-2005, 10:59

Thanks.

Your best bet is to call the Guard SF recruiter at the unit you'd like to join. This topic has those numbers : http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/announcement.php?f=55

The search button is another good tool.

Being prior service you wouldn't need to do Basic again. You would sign up A2/20 if that's the unit you want to join. If you fail at any point of the training I believe you would be transferred to a unit of the Guard's choice. But the SF Recruiter is the person you really need to be talking to.

BTW, welcome to the site.

K

ccrn
03-28-2005, 20:02
Jordan C. Murphy
Sergeant First Class
Recruiting and Retention NCO
Illinois Army National Guard
jordan.murphy@us.army.mil
http://www.1800GoGuard.com

(posted with permission)

A/2/20 has specific criteria such as being current ARNG, letters from your Commander etc (please ccorrect me if I am wrong). There is an info doc that can be emailed to you with the specific information you seek.

All this can be had by calling the Il ARNG or the unit itself-

A2-20_Recruiter
03-28-2005, 20:23
Many thanks to ccrn for posting my info. I figured since my info was going to be on here, I might as well be a part of the forum and answer some of the questions.

I've talked to a few of the guys on the board here already, and I look forward to meeting you all when you are back in the Chicago area.

Few things about A Co: They don't generally take direct enlistments in to the unit, unless you have odorless feces, or you have: earned the SF Tab; completed SFAS; completed the Q course, but not been awarded the tab.

The guys there are pretty busy, so they are not fast to respond to inquiries made to them. They have asked me to coordinate all information requests.

Just like most SF units, they hold tryouts several times a year. If you are interested in trying out, let me know at jordan.murphy@us.army.mil and I will coordinate with the unit.

Gentlemen, the tryouts are no joke for the untrained person, I witnessed them for the first time during mid March. During the course of the weekend, you can expect to move about 24-36 miles on foot, most of this with a heavy a$$ rucksack carrying a rubber duck, and holding something else.

They don't mess around with the PT test either, I watched a guy knock out about 90 push ups but he was about an inch to high at the bottom and an inch too low at the top, so they counted 37 push ups. This isn't like a regular APFT, they don't give you any feedback during any of the events, so you have no clue.

The tryouts consist of PT test, 3-30 ft rope climbs, pull ups, obstacle course, 6-12 ruck march with 55 lb ruck, team event (tbd that day), patrolling, land navigation and 1 hour run. This is the baseline minimum, and they can get creative at any point.

If you want some more information about the unit, go to http://www.il.ngb.army.mil/20sf

If there are any operators in the midwest who are interested in coming to A 2-20th, I'll be glad to facilitate your entry in to the unit.

Non tabbed guys, I'll help you all out in getting in to the unit as well.

Any questions at any time, email me at jordan.murphy@us.army.mil. I generally have less than a 12 hour turnaround time for responses.

SFC Jordan Murphy

Kyobanim
03-28-2005, 20:49
Thank you for the great info Sergeant, and welcome to the board!

abc_123
03-30-2005, 22:37
gents,

haven't read this board in quite some time...however i feel compelled to comment.

thanks to sfc murphy. please work thru him and he will square you away.

A/2/20 , SF in general, and indeed this great country of ours is in need of men who have what it takes... both physically and mentally. Let there be no doubt; our country is in need.

The news is full of stories of regular army active duty and arng soldiers serving their country and making a difference every single day. however, if you want to be a member of a small group of men. men who when called, act as force multipliers with an strategic impact far in excess of their numbers; then talk to sfc murphy.

if you decide to try out, do not expect handholding, a drill sergeant pushing you, or a squad of cheerleaders encouraging you. IF you make it, you will join a training team that will prepare to for the selection course. IF you make it through that, then you will attend the qualification course and then follow on training (TBD). IF you make it through that, then you will be placed on a team and expected to perform.

Once in the unit, you will have the opportunity for more training that any other class of unit in the ARNG. Guaranteed. Language training, shooting, close air support, jumpmaster (airborne school is a requirement and not really a big deal), SOTIC (sniper), SERE, etc. More schools pop up all the time.

You want to make a difference? Want to stand out and stand up and be counted?It's here. You just have to commit yourself and do it.

To be honest, very few make it through this process and become qualified. Thanks to all those who give it an honest try...However, the fact is that we see lots of individuals who "want to" but very few who "DO IT." Can You?

Think about it, and if it still sounds good to you, then call sfc murphy.
Good Luck!

De Opresso Liber

Vulture62
04-03-2005, 19:12
Seems harder to get in the unit than to pass the Q.From what I can understand
you stand no chance to get in the unit if the grader on the APFT doesn't feel like
passing you for whatever reason?Also, joining the guard unit first seems like catch 22.If the unit doesn't want to let you go you are stuck there for a while and there are no guarantees you will be able to transfer.I hope I'm wrong about this
but if I'm not, going active seems like a better road to take.

Thanks everybody for the good info!

kusinagaraDB
04-03-2005, 20:20
I personally like the idea that the tryouts are challenging. If they just accepted anyone who showed interest there'd be a lot of wasted money sending kids to SFAS. A horrible thing for someone to do would be to join this unit when they're not ready, and then fail SFAS.

I doubt a grader would just send someone packing who showed intelligence, determination, and an ability to do anything physical required.

I am worried about my unit saying "no" to me trying out. It's something you need to accept though...the needs of the army are greater than what unit you want to serve in. My unit needed a medic, and I'm filling that slot until I'm not needed.

If you believe you are at the level to pass all SF training with flying colors, and you want that security, you probably should go active duty. For me, I didn't learn much about SF until after I was in the guard...and it's better this way seeing as how I want to work a lot more on my PT, so I'll be sure to pass ANYTHING they throw at me.

-Scott

Floyd
04-04-2005, 07:14
Since they came to be from B/1/12 they had their pick of the motivated guys from 12th who wanted to continue in SF.
We had quite a few guys who had passed SFAS and were waiting for the Q when we were closed and most of them went to the NG along with a few others who hadnt been to SFAS but were planning on it.
A/2/20 can afford to be picky about who they take.
Wonder who all is still there that I may know?

Surgicalcric
04-04-2005, 07:52
...If you believe you are at the level to pass all SF training with flying colors, and you want that security, you probably should go active duty. For me, I didn't learn much about SF until after I was in the guard...and it's better this way seeing as how I want to work a lot more on my PT, so I'll be sure to pass ANYTHING they throw at me.

-Scott

Rant on

On what basis to you make that statement?

It would appear to me, and maybe I am a bit biased, just because an individual is physically fit and prepared for what is to come that is in itself not an indicator as to whether or not one should enlist into the AD army vs NG. The issue of which one should enlist into is much deeper than that which you have offered.

I would offer the decision on which to enlist has little or nothing to do with readiness; physical, mental, and/or emotional as an individual should prepare themselves, as much as possible, for whatever is ahead, regardless of affiliation. When I enlisted I was ready for what was ahead of me. That is not to say I considered myself a stud by any stretch of the imagination, or the Team Sarnt's standards but I was as ready as I was going to be. And that, no less ready than anyone I have seen here from the AD component. In fact I was much better prepared than most of my AD counterparts. Readiness is a personal responsibility.

There are many of us NG guys who have jobs that the military just cannot match monetarily or we have other obligations that would prevent us from enlisting AD. Then there are those that just dont care for the possibility of winding up on World-Wide Assignment if something happened and they were unable to complete the training.

The 1/501 is just not where I want to be, and WWA is where I would be if I werent NG.

Rant off

Again, just my .02 and well worth what you paid for it.

Crip

kusinagaraDB
04-04-2005, 09:12
His contention was that to join A/2/20, he'd have to join another unit first (unless his excrement didn't smell :) ). I was saying that if it worried him so much, he should probably just go the 18x route...but only if he's sure he can make it, and only if he really wants that green beret.

I was considering the fact that he could join a unit and have them hold him there for his entire term. He sounded like he wanted the security of the 18x program, and he also sounded like he didn't care whether he was active duty or guard.

I've had no experience and only research thus far, so it's truly IMHO.

-Scott the Novice

Surgicalcric
04-04-2005, 09:31
...He sounded like he wanted the security of the 18x program, and he also sounded like he didn't care whether he was active duty or guard.

Thats one of my points. There really is no security in an 18X contract with the exception of getting a shot at SFAS if you get past SOPC; get Med dropped, or non-selected, or a two time no-go at any station and you are out flapping on World-Wide Assignment. There is no security in that. As for him serving his entire entire enlistment without getting a shot at SFAS, I dont see that happening if he is motivated.

My intel is based on how my state (Alabama) works though. If a NQP is up to their standard Alabama will send you. Its up to you from there, but I will say Alabama does not see, or has not seen, many non-selects atleast in the recent past. That is to say, if they send you to SFAS they will have made sure you are ready. Furthermore noone will stay in NQP status more than 6 months unless you are injured and it better be a damn good cause/reason. The Cadre's philosophy is that if you are not motivated enough to prepare yourself between drills the 3-day drills wont get you there. They have also stated they have not the time or inclination to keep those around wasting O2 and training dollars.

Again, just my .02 based on my experience with the NG. Each SF Co is a bit different.

Crip

Vulture62
04-04-2005, 15:01
My biggest concern is not getting the shot at it and being stuck in the guard unit (might as well go active then).Also I don't think I can count on 18x option as a prior service.

The same thing happenned to me when I wanted to go to Ranger school.My slot went to the soldier of the month who didn't make it past the first week.

There is nothing in the world that I want more than to become a SF operator.

abc_123
04-04-2005, 19:38
Vulture,

iI makes a bunch of sense to have you join the ARNG into another unit. This way A Co. (and the others) don't have to deal with you if you figure out somewhere along the line that you don't really want to continue with the process and self-select out. Oh, and it also makes it nice and easy to tell you to not bother coming back anymore if at any point in the process it is determined that you aren't someone that anyone would really want showing back up at the unit with a tab. Makes it nice and easy all the way around.

Now, with that said, A Co (and the others) WANT to get you qualified if you are motivated and not a dumbass. THe "selection" and drills while on the training team are designed to prepare you for success at selection and frankly, to make sure that nobody is sent who doesn't have a realistic chance of making it. The "selection" proces is professionally run and not an ego trip for those running it. Also, A Co. at least, does NOT use the training team as "bitch boys". Now, don't get me wrong, there are times when you will get put to work, but your priority is to TRAIN.

Sounds like you think you got robbed by not getting that Ranger slot ...and that you would have made it.

Talk to SFC Murphy. and you will get the chance to prove it and more.

Good Luck!

Vulture62
04-04-2005, 22:56
Sounds good!

Really appreciate your answer.

A2-20_Recruiter
04-11-2005, 20:44
Vulture,
Contact me at one of the methods I posted in my original thread, we can talk more and I can explain the Nature of Things to you.

SFC Murphy

The Reaper
04-11-2005, 20:51
SFC Murphy:

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the help.

TR

joesfmech
07-09-2007, 21:27
For those of you who have looked into the tryouts for A/2/20th, congratualtions on doing some homework and research.

Our tryouts are structured in a very specific way, which many of you have figured out. These tryouts have been an evolution, and are continually updated to insure the personnel we select have the greatest chance of passing SFAS. Myself and the other members of the company spend a great deal of time designing the events (physical, mental, judgement) to insure we do not get someone into the unit that will not understand the mission, and become a danger to himself or his team. We do this because we have had individuals in the past who physically were able to pass SFAS and the SFQC, only to be so unsafe as to warrant them being perpetually placed on the B-team. Or so lacking in leadership and judgement as to wind up in jail or lose their tab.

A/2/20 has a higher percentage of passing SFAS candidates than the regular Army because we prepare you for what lies ahead. I am glad to hear that someone else sees that, when on the training team, you really do TRAIN. During a recent drill, I and a teammate, while the other teammembers were practicing CMMS, taught and trained our training team members the fundamentals of Combat Marksmanship, so as to better prepare the future 18Bs and other MOSs when they hit the Q course. Add to that hip pocket mission planning exercises, and we try to teach the ability to rapidly and efficiently come up with a simple and executeable plan that will (most importantly) succeed. This translates into being able to, as an SF operator, quickly plan and execute a Time Sensitive Target mission with host nation forces, with sometimes minimal rehearsal times.

There is a great deal of unknown in our tryouts, for a very good reason. in SFAS, and on the teams, you will work with a great deal of unknowns. We give you a taste of that in tryouts. The mental tests are not easy, and it shows us your knowledge base, skill set, and your preparation.

Ours is not an easy unit to get into, but the rewards are unlike anything you will experience in the Army. Good luck to all that show up to tryouts. Contact the unit, get on the mailing list, and start training.