PDA

View Full Version : North Korean BodyGuards

Wiseman
02-11-2005, 21:19
Interesting video

http://videosmil.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/northkoreabodyguards.wmv

Tuukka
02-11-2005, 22:13
Atleast they can stop assassins armed with 2x4s and bricks...

Sdiver
02-11-2005, 22:17

Not someone armed with a SWAT Brick (TM).

(Accept no subsitute...Because every thing else is just CRAP !!!)

Bravo1-3
02-11-2005, 23:40

Yeah, but I bet they'd be hopeless againt an assailant armed with fresh fruit.

NousDefionsDoc
02-12-2005, 14:26
Not someone armed with a SWAT Brick (TM).

(Accept no subsitute...Because every thing else is just CRAP !!!)

Uh oh...

Sweetbriar
02-12-2005, 15:07
"It is estimated 100,000 million hours are spent preparing a mass(?) games."

And yet they let their people starve????

I don't get long term dictatorships like this, but I'd like to understand it better. (And you guys are free to help me understand!) I can grasp why when things are good, the country is prospering (at least more than it once did), when there are large scale social transformations happening to bring a rural society into an industrial society, and so forth, that a despot can hold on to absolute power. But when things are seriously wretched as they have been in North Korea for a long time, how is it a dictator holds on for so long? It doesn't seem to matter where on the globe it occurs or what age of history, it still amazes me that the strongman phenomenon lasts for so long a tenure. I know my understanding is warped by living in a free country, but I'm still missing something...

frostfire
02-12-2005, 16:14
But when things are seriously wretched as they have been in North Korea for a long time, how is it a dictator holds on for so long?

I believe the human mind and what it believes in (or refuses to believe) is the most dangerous thing in the world. Control the mind and you got it. The next thing is control by fear (eg. having your own paramilitary force to take out those considered subversive)

If you're able to convince the collective population that this is the "right way" to live and prevent different knowledge/philosophy to seep into their mind (eg. why so many despots in the past are book-burners), you're more than likely to stay in power for decades to come.....or until some quiet professionals remove you, of course.
The mass game is a good propaganda tool to show collective benefit over individual need, for example: It shows the thousands of participants and the general population that together they can make phenomenal display whereas as individuals they won't be able to.

Having shared knowledge with an ex-SK operator, the skills displayed in the video is indeed real and impressive to a certain degree. However, I'm sure the footages are taken from some propaganda video...more tools to convince the society that they're in good hands and that their leader is invincible :boohoo