PDA

View Full Version : Question: Emerson Super SOCFK CQC7-B Wave Action

Trip_Wire (RIP)
02-11-2005, 13:28
I'm thinking about ordering an Emerson Super SOCFK CQC7-BTS with Wave Action. Has anyone had any experience with this knife? I'm really curious about the "wave action."

I have the old version of the CQC7 and one of the reasons I'm interested in the wave action opening assist, is that my hands are starting to have problems with arthritis and I have some difficulty, with the opening mechanism on the old CQC7.

The little demo of the Wave Action that Benchmade has on their site looks real cool! Apparently it is some kind of hooking mechanism, the uses the pocket to assist the opening? It seems like it would answer my problem. Anybody got a comments? :munchin

http://www.emersonknives.com/Tact_index.html

Razor
02-11-2005, 15:12
I'll preface by saying I don't own any 'wave' opening knives, although I played with a couple. On the up side, they are very fast opening, as you begin to open them before they even finish leaving your pocket, and like you said, opening them is a gross motor function (simply gripping the knife and pulling it out of your pocket with your arm/shoulder), which is good under stress. A few downsides in my mind are you must use a tip-up carry, you have to pull the knife from either the front or back corner of your pocket (can't carry or draw straight up), if for some reason the wave hook doesn't catch any material you end up with a closed knife in your hand, and its a bit difficult to carry/draw well when seated.

NousDefionsDoc
02-11-2005, 19:01
In my opinion, anything Ernie Emerson makes is GTG.

Air.177
02-11-2005, 19:36
I have found that one can achieve the same results with some knives not intended to be used in this manner. The Applegate/Fairbain folder for example, can be "Waved" even though it doesn't even have a "wave" to speak of on the blade. I carry mine in my right back pocket with the tip of the blade up, and the top of the blade facing forward. To achieve this type of draw, one needs only to grasp the knife, and pull up and forward as you present the knife, this forces the "hump" in the blade above the thumbstud to catch on the corner of the pocket and forces the blade open. In my (admittedly limited) experience, the A/F blade shape is not as hard on the pockets as the more defined "Wave" in the Emerson design. Both ways work, and although I agree that Emerson knives are nice, my <$100 Gerber works just as well for me.

My.02, YMMV

Smokin Joe
02-11-2005, 21:01
Trip Wire,

I have the Emerson Combat Karambit with the wave. This is my review. Link (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5424)
The wave design is good stuff just make sure you have your fingers out of the way.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
02-12-2005, 01:23
Trip Wire,

I have the Emerson Combat Karambit with the wave. This is my review. Link (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5424)
The wave design is good stuff just make sure you have your fingers out of the way.

I had read your review of the karambit and thought it was great! I did order this knife and hope I'm able to keep my fingers outa the way! :eek: I'll practice slowly with it until I get it down.

One of the reasons I was interested in the wave was my fingers are getting stiff and hard to manage. My trigger finger only bends at the knuckle now. :(

I'm still interested in hearing from people who use the wave action and/or have this model. It sounds fairly good size...Overall length over all 9.15" with a blade length 3.78" a BIG knife for a folder. :D

Trip_Wire (RIP)
02-17-2005, 20:21
Trip Wire,

The knife came today! Yes, keep the fingers out of the way is REAL good advice! :eek:

The first draw of the knife, I managed not to do that and got a very minor slice on the index finger. :rolleyes: The finger must have slipped down on the grip and was caught in the sweep of the blade as it opened...it did open though. I have long fingers and hope to keep them. :o

To bad they (Benchmark) don't give a few hints on where to place fingers, when drawing out the knife. The only thing is the short viedo on their web site.

I'll just have to practice more with that grasp and pull rearwards. Other draws with the knife had good results. The noise when it snaps open scared the hell out of my dog. :D

Smokin Joe
02-18-2005, 23:34
To bad they (Benchmark) don't give a few hints on where to place fingers, when drawing out the knife. The only thing is the short viedo on their web site.

I'll just have to practice more with that grasp and pull rearwards. Other draws with the knife had good results. The noise when it snaps open scared the hell out of my dog. :D

Mr. Emerson grinds those bastards pretty sharp huh? :D

I'll review my Emerson Karambit videos and see if they have any suggestions. The way I draw my Karambit would not help you.

Trip_Wire,

Here is what Mr. Emerson shows in his Combat Karambit Video. Thumb is behind the blade and the fingers are on the clip.
(Sorry for the poor quality but I'm working with just me and a tri-pod)

Smokin Joe
02-19-2005, 01:20
Last one.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
02-19-2005, 12:35
Last one.

Oh yeah! He does grind them SHARP! :o

Thanks for the info! I'm not sure that it will be the same for my knife, but I'm working on it. Actually, I have found a rearward motion in not good! It seems to work better with a straight up pull.

I'm looking at their Rapid Deployment sheath for the CQC7. There are two types one a sort of shoulder harness type and a belt type. I'm interested in the belt type, as I think it would be nice to be able to stow it that way. It would also help provide some way of drawing the blade while seated or odd positions. It might be good for less wear and tear on ones pants too. :munchin

Smokin Joe
02-24-2005, 02:17
Trip_Wire,

Email recieved and response sent.

TXscout
03-18-2005, 23:16
This is the standard sized SOCFK---It is my favorite folder for carry/backup

Trip_Wire (RIP)
03-19-2005, 01:19
This is the standard sized SOCFK---It is my favorite folder for carry/backup

Actually, when I first wrote about the knife that I was looking at, I was looking at the SOCFK I didn't wind up buying the SOCFK model, because Emerson Knives doesn't sell it. I would have to go to another company, to buy the SOCFK and it was priced higher then the one I bought.

So, Instead I bought the Super CQC-7 BTS with wave action. I then did buy the rapid deployment sheath for it as well. The blade on the knife that I bought, is a little longer, as is the grip on the Super. Now if they would place that finger indent in the super like the SOCFK and the Commander it would be great!

I'm happy with the one I have though, its an improvement over my standard CQC7 that I bought from Benchmade several years ago.

BTW your knife look great...are you happy with it? :munchin

Endorphin Rush
03-22-2005, 11:49
Trip Wire,

Mine is the Super Commander with the "Wave" feature. I gotta tell ya, I do like that "Wave" :D , and with alot of draws have gotten pretty damn smooth with it. I carry it in a secondary pocket that I had sewn into my right rear wallet pocked so that the clip doesn't stick out for all to see. But it draws just the same, otherwise.

The only thing I'd change on any of my Emerson's would be to re-design the liner-lock to a solid frame-lock design. Not that I've ever had one close on me, but then I've never stuck it in something hard enough to test it. Those edges, thought, are scary sharp. Lost the end of a finger to one. :eek: :o

I don't recall which edge grind yours has on it. but, if you have any trouble with sharpening it, ship it back to Ernie. He'll have it sharp as shit when it comes back to ya. And the turn around time is not bad...atleast not from what I've heard. I sharpen my own.

I just wish that I had asked for the "Wave" feature on my CQC-6 when I had ordered it. I like it that much.

Endorphin Rush
03-22-2005, 12:31
Trip Wire:

I don't have a tripod, so I can't take these pictures in reference to draw from pocket...but I'll give you an idea of hand/knife positioning as it works for me during my draw from pocket. I realize your fingers may have lost some of their range of motion, but this will give you some frame of reference.

Picture 1:

My hand position on knife as I index it in pocket.

Picture 2;

My repositioned hand position as I prepare to draw.
Notice how the pocket clip actually provides the fingers with a surface to grip against to secure a solid hold, as opposed to merely creating friction against the frame.

Picture 3:

Same hand position as I draw to meet "wave" with pocket edge.

Picture 4:

Hand position as knife begins to clear pants and blade begins to deploy.

Picture 5:

Hand position as knife is fully deployed and clear of pants/body.

Picture 6:

Hand repositioned to fighting grip.

Hope this is some help to you!!!

ER

Endorphin Rush
03-22-2005, 12:34
OOOPPSS, :o

Here's Picture #6, didn't realize there was a five picture limit per post.

ER

Trip_Wire (RIP)
03-22-2005, 12:44
Thanks ER. Nice knives! :D