PDA

View Full Version : generation kill

dennisw
02-10-2005, 19:56
I'm not sure if anyone has reviewed the above bookon this site, but it is a great read. It's about the first marine recon fighting their way to bagdad. Their whole effort was a diversion, but the battles and fire fights are pretty incredible. The author is an embedded reporter, so the story is from his perspective. Some of the stories are almost hard to believe(especially about some of the Marine officers). If you haven't read Generation Kill by Evan Wright, I would recommend it.

Fonzy
05-19-2008, 15:25
Gentlemen
Sorry to revive such a dead thread, but didn't seem right to start a new thread. Just a heads up, saw a commercial on HBO last night advertising a seven part miniseries based on this book, with the same title. Looked pretty well done, but then again everything does in commercials.
SPC Fonz

FMF DOC
05-19-2008, 19:35
I must admit I have not seen commercials or PR on the book but I'm skeptical. Since when does a Force Recon Unit take a reporter with them on what was most likely a classified mission that had so much enemy contact. Just curious .:confused:

Pete S
05-19-2008, 19:38
Link to the trailer: http://www.hbo.com/events/generationkill/

Good book

I must admit I have not seen commercials or PR on the book but I'm skeptical. Since when does a Force Recon Unit take a reporter with them on what was most likely a classified mission that had so much enemy contact. Just curious .:confused:

They were Recon Battalion

Remington Raidr
05-20-2008, 06:35
Link to the trailer: http://www.hbo.com/events/generationkill/

Good book

They were Recon Battalion

Yah. and the reporter was writing for the "Rolling Stone".:eek:

Motivated
06-11-2008, 22:41
Generation Kill is a pretty good read. I also read the book One Bullet Away: The Making of a Marine Officer by Nathaniel Fick, who is TL of the recon unit Wright was attached to. It was different, but refreshing, to read 2 books on the same events from two points of view.

Team Sergeant
06-11-2008, 22:48
generation kill,

I read the first ten pages and threw it away. :mad:

IMO its nothing more than a self indulged writer attempting to make himself famous.

Team Sergeant

kgoerz
06-12-2008, 07:10

He was embedded, it airs this Friday on HBO