PDA

View Full Version : Using a bottle for hand fishing

Thesis
06-10-2020, 19:46
This is just how we fish in Palau. Hand fishing gives you a chance to feel for the fish.

abc_123
06-11-2020, 05:16
What kind of fish is that?

1stindoor
06-11-2020, 05:26
I fished that way in Ecuador with a bunch of Soldados at the river. We were catching catfish.

JJ_BPK
06-11-2020, 06:08
I always carried a Yo Yo or two on my boats.

It's a simple hand-reel. I believe developed in Cuba? Because of the hole, it allows you to put a moderate amount of drag on the line.

https://www.saltstrong.com/fishing-tip/yo-yo-hand-reel-fishing/

PS: I leave my beer in the cooler :munchin

Thesis
06-11-2020, 15:07
I'm still learning the lake here so finding fish from land is all watching and listening.

I know in the Pacific Islands. The best time is the same. Morning and evening. But also the tide has about three to six phases during the day. Usually if you are fishing from a drop off point you can catch different types of fish during the middle phases of tides. There are holes on the reef line (some from artillery) that you can fish during low tide. Those are secret fishing spots.

JJ_BPK
06-11-2020, 16:37
I'm still learning the lake here so finding fish from land is all watching and listening.

I know in the Pacific Islands. The best time is the same. Morning and evening. But also the tide has about three to six phases during the day.

Slack Tide: the point at which the incoming and outgoing tide stops to reverse its flow.

In the Florida Keys, there are over 1000 sq miles on the flats of Florida Bay. At mid outgoing and incoming the current is too strong for most of the grocery fish and even some of the big predators. They hunker down in the reef, undercover.

During the 15-20 minutes of Slack Tide, they all come out to feed.

Time your fishing trip to coincide with that slack tide and you will go home with your limit every time.

Good Luck,,
Tight Lnies
:lifter:D:lifter

mark46th
07-19-2020, 08:42
I surf fish in Southern California and Baja. I have found the most productive time to s fish starts at 2 hours before the high tide.

Rumblyguts
07-24-2020, 13:48
Nice.
Bottle/can fishing is in the WI DNR Angler Education workbook. Had a student's real break while we were fishing at a closed bar. Looked under the deck, yep, there was a bottle. Kid brought in a good size rock bass with it and smiles ear to ear. 😁

JJ_BPK
07-24-2020, 16:58
If you're interested in handline fishing stories on a grand scale?

Stream a copy of Hemmingway's "The Old Man and the Sea"

either the 1958 release with Spencer Spencer

or 1990 release with Anthony Quinn.

:lifter:D:lifter

I prefer the earlier version, but it's the very Woke old white man version.
The other is also Woke with an old Mexican culturally misappropriating a Cubano heritage.

That is if you're not of a Wokeness persona.. :mad:

mark46th
09-17-2020, 00:53
Just got back from Bahia Los Angeles on the Sea of Cortez. We had some
great fishing, great weather and great food. We even saw a whale shark feeding in the bay....