PDA

View Full Version : I need help - .45 info

Sire24657
02-02-2005, 08:42
I need assistance. a friend of mine is overseas and needs some mags for a 1911-series pistol. I want to get him some decent ones. As I am pretty unfamiliar with them (I am very happy with my CZ-85, thanks), I was wondering what mags I should look at. I have heard that Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick makes some good ones, but I am not sure.

Please email me at stuclark@hotmail.com ASAP, Subject MAGS.

Thanks,

Sire24657

QRQ 30
02-02-2005, 09:18
I'm no weapons expert. However, I was going to ask what makes one magazine superior to another. I have probably answered my own question. I would think it would be the durability and resistance to corrosion of the material and the dependability of the spring. I would feel that any reputable mag made for the weapon would be good. Price just may be a factor.

I feel that maintenance may be more of a factor. For some reason people clean and maintain their weapons but totally neglect the magazine and ammunition.

Sacamuelas
02-02-2005, 09:51
STU-
I have had very good experiences with Wilson combat 8 rd mags and have never heard anything negative concerning them. However, Do NOT buy them direct from wilson if you want a better deal. They are cheaper if you buy them online somewhere else. You can usually find them for around $20-25 /piece. They are pricey for mags, but the gun will not go bang without a functioning and reliable mag. :D

mumbleypeg
02-02-2005, 10:15
I switched from Mec-Gars a year ago to CMC 8rd power mags. I've been very happy with their flawless performance. I found good prices here (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept%5Fid=122014&sku=31061&imgid=&mscssid=AF943NBE36G78NNQDKJX84RG0LJ46TA3)

Endorphin Rush
02-02-2005, 11:47
I've been using Wilson mags for years and have experienced absolutely no problems with them. I would recommend them. I've also used the Wilson 20 round mags recently and have had no problems with them as well.

I would say get the mags with metal base plates unless he's got an extended mag well on his 1911, in which case has he may need the plasted extended base plate mags.

I received my Wilson 8 rounders with my 1911, so I can't tell you what they cost off hand. I defer to Sacamuelas' post on that one.

However, I did purchase my Wilson 20 rounders last year for $30 a piece. Though, that may have been a case of being at the right place at the right time.

McCormicks are also supposed to work well, but I've got no experience with them.

When he's ready to replace the mag springs, get him the ones made by Wolff.

Pattaya
02-02-2005, 11:48
I've used Wilson combat 8rd mags for years. I have alot of confidence in them.

mffjm8509
02-02-2005, 12:32
One opinion is as good as any I guess.......

I only use Chip Mcormick mags. The shooting star mags are good for training/practice but I dont use them for everyday carry. If you shoot a lot you'll want to get the mag extenders though, they make mag changes much easier.

What I'm carrying over here are the 10 round Chip Mcormick powermags. Stainless mags with stainless followers. They have performed well with minimal maintenance, and havent jammed up from dust/sand.

I just bought mine from www.sportsmansguide.com for less than $20.

mp

Leozinho
02-02-2005, 21:00
However, I was going to ask what makes one magazine superior to another. I have probably answered my own question. I would think it would be the durability and resistance to corrosion of the material and the dependability of the spring.

I've always heard that it's the tight tolerances around the lip of the magazine that determine if the magazine will feed reliably. No-name or Chinese-made mags just aren't made to as tight specs as original mags, and hence are prone to failure to feed. At least that's said to be the case with Beretta mags.

12B4S
02-03-2005, 00:53
One opinion is as good as any I guess.......

I only use Chip Mcormick mags. The shooting star mags are good for training/practice but I dont use them for everyday carry. If you shoot a lot you'll want to get the mag extenders though, they make mag changes much easier.

What I'm carrying over here are the 10 round Chip Mcormick powermags. Stainless mags with stainless followers. They have performed well with minimal maintenance, and havent jammed up from dust/sand.

I just bought mine from www.sportsmansguide.com for less than $20.

mp

First, Thank you for your service!......... Second, bear with a FOG. K, you are running over there with a .45 1911. Your mag info was great. My question is this. due to that enviroment , the dust, sand.... could you do a short explanation as to your reason for that handgun/pistol ( damn, I'm still leery of calling a pistol or rifle anything other than a weapon) . ("This is my weapon, this is my gun) Sorry. :D
One reason I'm asking, is just 'cause I'm interested..... more important however, I know a guy here that may be deployed to Iraq. He asked me.... I don't know, I used what we had available, which was the Army issue 45. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

Barbarian
03-02-2012, 10:32
I realize this thread is ancient. I found something I believe is noteworthy. If any one dissagrees, then I apologize.

I have 2 Wilson Combat 8 rnd mags that have been on range duty for a while, due to failures to feed. Had some free time the other day so I sat down and took a close look at the problem.

Despite being clean and appearing functional on their own, my 1911 would not cycle reliably with the mags, even with ball ammo. I assumed that the mag spring being weak was the problem, now I'm not sure.

After comparing the 2 Wilson mags to various other factory 7 rnd mags, it appears that the magazine catch slot is cut into the Wilson mags roughly 0.12" closer to the feed lips that on my 7 round original styled mags. This is causing cartriges to sit at a impractical angle as they attempt to be chambered.

I plan on doing further research, but in the meantime, I'm open to any and all suggestions. (Don't say it, TS. ;))

Dusty
03-02-2012, 10:37
I was able to solve the entire "failure to (whatever)" issue with my 1911, mags and all, by switching to an H&K.

JJ_BPK
03-02-2012, 10:51
After comparing the 2 Wilson mags to various other factory 7 rnd mags, it appears that the magazine catch slot is cut into the Wilson mags roughly 0.12" closer to the feed lips that on my 7 round original styled mags. This is causing cartriges to sit at a impractical angle as they attempt to be chambered.

I plan on doing further research, but in the meantime, I'm open to any and all suggestions. (Don't say it, TS. ;))

Two thoughts:
1)they were manufactured incorrectly
2)the metal in the mag is soft and over time it has stretched the slot.

Most active shootist consider magazines to be consumables, with a limited life span. My money is on #2..

My suggestion:

Contact Wilson??

WholeManin2010
03-02-2012, 11:15
I was able to solve the entire "failure to (whatever)" issue with my 1911, mags and all, by switching to an H&K.

You accidentally wrote this in pink.... :rolleyes:

Dusty
03-02-2012, 11:30
You accidentally wrote this in pink.... :rolleyes:

I'm stepping lightly. Don't wanna come across as a "Heckler and Koch Snob".

JimP
03-02-2012, 14:19
Wilson 47D's were the issued mags last time I carried a 1911 downrange. If your unit was authorized 1911's, most units switched to Glocks in that environment, (fine sand, etc).

Mandatory note of caution: Talk to your "bud". If he is asking for folks in the rear to send him magazines, then he is probably NOT authorized to carry a 1911. I'm not even aware of any contractors who have weapons authorization to carry a 1911. Most non-standard forearms on authorization docs are Glock 19's. if he's military - he's flrting with his career.

fasteddie565
03-03-2012, 06:03
Holsters, magazines and gun gear in general are like shoes and socks. We get lots of questions on shoes, boots and socks as well. The bottom line is that what make my feet happy, at my build, weight and use may not be good for you. While I also believe that asking for some do's and don't's is sound. Ultimately, picking the right gear for your gun is like picking the right combination of boots and socks. What fits you may not be worth a flip to your mate.

An example shows a general disdain for Kimpro magazines by Kimber. My local gun store stocks them and I shoot the piss out of them. On the other hand, many here praise Wilson Combat 47D mags while I have trouble getting them to drop free from my Kimber TLE II RL, when empty.

What fits our feet, may not fit your friends.

Ghost_Team
03-03-2012, 07:16
I agree with fasteddie. It all comes down to what works for you. I like HK pistols for their accuracy and reliability, however I dislike the magazine release, and that has pretty much turned me off to the gun itself. I have both a Kimber and a Springfield Armory .45, and I don't like the factory mags that came with either of them. I do like the Chip McCormick mags I had for my .45 when I was on an ODA, and I have heard good things about D & L Sports .45 mags though I have never used them.

tom kelly
03-03-2012, 12:40
I agree with fasteddie. It all comes down to what works for you. I like HK pistols for their accuracy and reliability, however I dislike the magazine release, and that has pretty much turned me off to the gun itself. I have both a Kimber and a Springfield Armory .45, and I don't like the factory mags that came with either of them. I do like the Chip McCormick mags I had for my .45 when I was on an ODA, and I have heard good things about D & L Sports .45 mags though I have never used them.

I have 2 H&K semi-auto's .45 Compact & a .40 compact and you are correct about the mag release. German Engineering is a step above everyone and they must have a good reason for that type of release, However I prefer the mag release on the 1911 type semi -autos, The extended mag release is much quicker to drop a mag from the well, but you must practice with the pistol so you don't inadvertently hit the release button & drop the mag at a critical time.The best way to decide on any weapon system is to take a trip to the range & try several different makes & models, firing a box of premium ammo should narrow the field. Best Mag's for a 1911 .45 IMHO Wilson Combat, Les Baer, and Chip McCormick...All 8 round single stack...TK

Dusty
03-03-2012, 12:59
I was a 1911 fan for decades-it was my first issue pistol-and I've owned several. Then Team Sergeant posted a line about 1911's and gunsmiths, and I mentally reviewed how many problems I'd had, mainly because of the sear/disconnector spring, the bushing, lugs and recesses-all kinds of issues.

With an HK .45, I don't have those problems, and it's more accurate. Just takes POT to get used to the mag release location, which is a button you don't have to push as often with an HK.

With an all-consuming desire to have my handgun go off when I press the trigger every time, I've found that any nagging doubt is gone with the HK.

Team Sergeant
03-03-2012, 14:44
As far as reloading goes, I carry a full size .45 HK with 13 rounds. Unless there more than 13 individuals requiring an attitude adjustment I don't plan on reloading. SA is having the right tool for the right situation.

Straight stack, (hahahaha) a thing of the "past". Oh and because of "HK" I've not seen a gunsmith in decades....:munchin

The 1911, a one hundred and one year old design, like driving a Model T..... enjoy!

Barbarian
03-04-2012, 13:43
After comparing my mags to several other 47D's at the local gunshop, turns out my mag's measurements are up to spec. My 1911 apparently just doesn't like them. Thank you, gents, for your advice. It helped.

SA is having the right tool for the right situation.

The wisdom of that statement is undeniable. My reluctance to change carry weapons so far has been due to familiarity with the 1911, and also to the inherent difficulty in using hard cast bullets at the range with polygonal-rifled barrels.

Perhaps I should reconsider, and just say to hell with hardcast bullets.

Team Sergeant
03-04-2012, 16:25
After comparing my mags to several other 47D's at the local gunshop, turns out my mag's measurements are up to spec. My 1911 apparently just doesn't like them. Thank you, gents, for your advice. It helped.

The wisdom of that statement is undeniable. My reluctance to change carry weapons so far has been due to familiarity with the 1911, and also to the inherent difficulty in using hard cast bullets at the range with polygonal-rifled barrels.

Perhaps I should reconsider, and just say to hell with hardcast bullets.

Yeah, "familiarity", didn't that kill the cat? ;)
I was a die hard 1911 fan until I got my last 1911 "gunsmith" bill, while viewing that bill I had a moment of clarity.....

7624U
07-17-2020, 05:59
visit
https://www.outdoorlimited.com
may this site helps you

No advertisements on this site and no Intro, starting off badly.:mad:

Peregrino
07-17-2020, 06:44
No advertisements on this site and no Intro, starting off badly.:mad:

He has one more chance to follow the rules; otherwise, he's history. I've already deleted his other post and banned that user ID.

Hummer
10-11-2020, 04:05
Bad 1911A1 mags. Beware of MILSPEC mags that have IM291 on the base plate. Two lots of about 300,000 were procured. The first lot was so bad they were excessed out and wound up on civilian market.

The second run of IM291 stamped mags were much better.

You can tell the difference by looking at the edge of the base plate and the two contact welds on each side. If they appear to be heavy you will probably be OK, if they appear light they are the first lot.

Also on the first lot the back of the mag at the top that looks like this !___! and the area just below it will show signs of a belt sander having been applied and the metal is ground down thin.

This area was ground because metal shaving from stamping was in the lower right corner from the stamping and the guy doing the grinding over ground them. The second lot was better.

You may see mags with two different colors, The upper are from the mag catch slot upwards are a much lighter color because of the heat treat and they are generally very good but hard to find.

Also there was a ammo contract let in late 70s and the headstamp has IMI on it. This ammo was over-pressured and we had several barrels blow pieces out of the upper back of the chamber area. Velocity was supposed to be 830 FPS and that ammo was giving about 930 FPS.

Beware of the after market spring kits for M1911A1s. There is a spring that keeps the striker to the rear and a properly made spring has a internal taper to match the taper on the striker. Springs in some of the kits did not have the internal taper and if the weapon is dry fired the striker protruded out the front of the striker port and jammed in forward position making the weapon worthless.

Finally you can carry a chambered round with the hammer cocked and the SAFETY ON just fine. I would not recommend it be carried with hammer down on partial cock as I have heard reports of thumbs slipping during cocking follow by AD.