PDA

View Full Version : T-11 replacement?

JJ_BPK
07-13-2019, 12:11
Are they that bad,, and on the way out the door?

What a Cluster F¥€k as the Army calls it. The T-11 is slated for immediate removal from inventory and replacement by a Chute with the T-10 as its Father - SOON

The Military’s 5 Biggest Procurement Fails Since 9/11
Marty Skovlund Jr.
March 31, 2017 at 11:35 AM

T-11 Parachute

With a $400 million price tag, the fielding of the T-11 parachute in 2014 was not a cheap endeavor. A replacement for the T-10 parachute system, which dutifully served paratroopers for 60 years, was requested due to the increased weight of today’s combat-equipped paratrooper. Certainly a replacement was needed, but the well-intentioned T-11 wasn’t the right answer. The parachute itself is nine pounds heavier than its predecessor.

Although it has a lower rate of injury thus far, the T-11 has resulted in more mid-air entanglements. The significantly lower drop rate has resulted in greater lateral drift, which has increased the likelihood of tree and water landings. The amount of time the ‘chute takes to deploy after the jumper has exited from the aircraft has increased from four to six seconds, which allows less time for a reserve parachute activation in the case of main canopy failure.

The T-11, despite a short history, already has blood on its hands. In 2014, high winds inadvertently activated the reserve chute of a Navy SEAL, which led to his death — just one of the nine that have been reported since the parachutes initial issue in 2009. These are just some of the significant shortcomings that have been identified in the field by 18th Airborne Corps commanders that would require a complete redesign of the brand new, fully fielded T-11 parachute system.
https://taskandpurpose.com/military-procurement-fails-9-11

Wagbag
07-13-2019, 15:49
It's bad enough that privates in division no longer get smoked for pulling their reserve.

SouthernDZ
07-14-2019, 08:32
I went to my son's graduation from jump school last year. Saw the final jump of five sticks from a C-17 using T-11s. I heard a loud, long ripping sound and saw one of the kids rapidly passing through other jumpers on the way to the ground. The chute had ripped in half, down the middle. I told my wife to turn the other way because I was certain the kid was going to bounce. He pulled his reserve at about 400 feet and was still pulling it in and flaking it out at 100 feet when it finally caught air. The kid became a veteran that day.

A T-11 looks all the world like a gray hefty bag pulled down at the four corners.

Utah Bob
07-14-2019, 12:35
Apparently somebody thought Da Vinci’s design was just fine.:rolleyes::confused:

Ret10Echo
07-15-2019, 12:42
I went to my son's graduation from jump school last year. Saw the final jump of five sticks from a C-17 using T-11s. I heard a loud, long ripping sound and saw one of the kids rapidly passing through other jumpers on the way to the ground. The chute had ripped in half, down the middle. I told my wife to turn the other way because I was certain the kid was going to bounce. He pulled his reserve at about 400 feet and was still pulling it in and flaking it out at 100 feet when it finally caught air. The kid became a veteran that day.

A T-11 looks all the world like a gray hefty bag pulled down at the four corners.

Yeah.. or a bed sheet. (Calivin had problems with it as well)

Not sure I'd be super interested in taking that long to get to the ground as well. Somewhere between the "rip and zip" and floating around for 25 minutes seems a sweet spot.

Flagg
07-16-2019, 22:35
I’ve mostly jumped SF-10A and a few times on MC-1B/C.

Is there a reason why SF-10A wasn’t more broadly introduced across the forces beyond SF and a few others?

Great steering & sinkrate performance for a round, even for a moron like me.

Pete
07-17-2019, 04:26
...Is there a reason why SF-10A wasn’t more broadly introduced across the forces beyond SF and a few others?

Great steering & sinkrate performance for a round, even for a moron like me.

Mass Tac jumps with 1,800 +/- paratroopers in the air is not the place for steerable parachutes.

Hand
07-17-2019, 07:24
Mass Tac jumps with 1,800 +/- paratroopers in the air is not the place for steerable parachutes.

Why is that Pete?

I'll hazard a guess - these mass jumps are static line, so there will be some spacing between each troop both in elevation and distance. Any type of wind anomalies will affect groups of soldiers at a time thus maintaining that same elevation/distance separation. Is there more to it?

Pete
07-17-2019, 08:18
Why is that Pete?

I'll hazard a guess - these mass jumps are static line, so there will be some spacing between each troop both in elevation and distance. Any type of wind anomalies will affect groups of soldiers at a time thus maintaining that same elevation/distance separation. Is there more to it?

Non-steerable chutes drift more or less with the wind.

Steerable chutes can run with the wind, hold into the wind and crab all over the place. So you would have 1,800 +/- jumpers going where ever the chute took them.

Keep a sharp lookout during descent would take on a whole new meaning.

While some special units use steerable chutes and do "Mass Tac Jumps" it's usually just one A/C or a couple in trail. No big deal for guys used to steerable chutes. When you come over the DZ in a series of V's all dumping paratroopers, some coming down faster than others - that's a lot of parachutes hanging out up there.

Flagg
07-17-2019, 13:23

Steerable chutes can run with the wind, hold into the wind and crab all over the place. So you would have 1,800 +/- jumpers going where ever the chute took them.

While some special units use steerable chutes and do "Mass Tac Jumps" it's usually just one A/C or a couple in trail. No big deal for guys used to steerable chutes. When you come over the DZ in a series of V's all dumping paratroopers, some coming down faster than others - that's a lot of parachutes hanging out up there.

Gotcha.

I gusss that’s why I’m not a Dispatcher/JM

abc_123
07-17-2019, 20:16

To add to the picture... on "Mass Tacs" troopers jump out of both doors theoretically with a 1/2 sec spacing between the guy going out the right door and the guy on the left... Yea maybe the first 2 or 3.... So you have guys potentially exiting simultaneously ending up separated by not that much distance behind the aircraft reaching for toggles to steer that chute... what could go wrong?