PDA

View Full Version : Penzey's Spices--Memorial Day Politicized

Razor
05-27-2019, 20:51
Companies and their leade...check that, management are of course free to do and say as they please, so long as it isn't illegal. Those familiar with Penzey's Spices are also probably well aware of the owner's far left positions, which he freely and frequently disseminates via his email ads for his company's products. While aggravating, they're sometimes fun if for nothing than the schadenfreude their Trump Derangement Syndrome-filled content stirs in me.

This weekend, however, Penzey took it too far, IMO. In his latest Memorial Day weekend ad, titled "Well someone has to say something— If not us who?", he deliberately slighted the meaning of the day, calling for people to use the day to remember that more women have died in pregnancy and child birth than men have died in combat, and to support Planned Parenthood by of course buying stuff from Penzey's Spices. Read the email for yourself:

"In my college days, as someone who spent a good chunk of my time studying history while having friends minoring in women’s studies, more than once these friends pointed out that history is pretty much mostly just “his” story. They were, of course, right. One of the facts so clearly backing them up is that, in the history of America far more women have died in pregnancy than men have died in combat. And this is not just a statistic from our distant past, this has held true since the start of this century as well. Yet where is this incredible cost women have paid in the teaching of our history? Where is this in the holidays we observe?

As a fan of “there’s no time like the present” I’m thinking that along with rightfully remembering and honoring those who gave all in service to our nation, maybe it’s time to make this weekend more inclusive of all those who gave all. Maybe in these last weeks, where the Republican Party’s attack on our country’s humanity has led to laws seizing control of reproductive rights from women and placing them in the hands of the state, we’ve reached the time for a turning point. Are we really going back to a time where white male privilege can dictate your assault victim/pre-teen daughter’s pregnancy is a gift from God and must be treated as such? I say Nope, Nope, and Nope.

And this isn’t about when life begins, this is about being truthful about what leads to the ending of pregnancies and honestly working to minimize those causes. When 80% comes down to pregnancies being unwanted, the first step is to ask who is working to cause unwanted pregnancies and why? Mothers Against Drunk Driving are actually against drunk driving. They don’t demand classes that teach bartenders how not to over-serve be shut down. They don’t lobby to pass laws that ban taxis and Uber from operating at bar time. Yet this is exactly what the right-to-life is doing when they block age-appropriate sex education and work to prevent accessible, affordable birth control.

For churches no longer about Jesus, or a political party no longer for We the People, children born into homes where two people love each other very much are not going to be where they find new customers. For tax cuts for the very-very rich and corporate jets for church leaders, the broken lives unwed, impoverished, single teen pregnancies create are what’s needed. Take away the right-to-life’s blocking sex education and affordable, accessible birth control, and abortion rates will plummet overnight, but so would the broken lives they depend on. Their leaders know this, but it’s a price they are willing to pay to fill their pews and get their votes. It’s time to call them on their cruelty.

But do you know who works hard to make sure young women are not left with nothing but bad choices? Planned Parenthood that’s who, and now more than anytime ever they need good people to let them know how much we appreciate all they do. So much of so many of our happily-ever-afters only came to be because of everything Planned Parenthood does to support and protect the health of women. Recent news articles have said corporate America has been silent on this issue because it is a no-win scenario. Maybe — Probably — I guess I’m about to find out. But with such a huge loss being certain if no one speaks out, we are willing to take a stand.

So this Memorial Day weekend, with every regularly-priced, individually sold half-cup jar, Penzeys will be donating $1 to Planned Parenthood to thank them for all they do and all they give to protect the lives and the rights of women. In a time where it can seem we are too short on real life heroes, the workers and volunteers of Planned Parenthood are just the people we are in need of. If cooking teaches us anything, it’s the transformative power of giving respect where respect is due. This weekend let’s give voice to our respect for those standing up for the rights of women. Silent support is no longer enough. Too much is now at stake.

Thanks for taking time this weekend to give respect to all those who have given so much to make America a place of liberty and equality,
Bill
bill@penzeys.com"

Regardless of your stance on abortion, a de facto call to co-opt a holiday intended to honor those that died in service to their nation, as a political call to arms is completely without honor or class. This distasteful stunt deserves wide exposure so others can make better informed purchasing choices.

SF_BHT
05-27-2019, 21:05
Never heard of the company and after reading your post never will buy any. What a turd.

tonyz
05-27-2019, 21:21
That dude Bill Panzy must have done too much k2/spice.

Joker
05-27-2019, 21:21
Who? I'll never buy something from them...

PSM
05-27-2019, 22:03
" Penzeys will be donating $1 to Planned Parenthood to thank them for all they do and all they give to protect the lives and the rights of women."

Well, except for the roughly 50% of future women that they are aborting.

ETA: I just remembered that I ordered some Szechuan peppercorns from them and it was a small pack with lots of seeds. I tossed them. Ordered the next batch from Spice House and they were cheaper and perfect.

Flagg
05-27-2019, 22:54
All due respect to Razor......

But I’ve never heard of them.

And perhaps that is the angle they are playing.

Take a page out of Nike’s recent data analytics based politicised marketing campaign that generated additional incremental sales for them by radicalising one customer segment and inflaming/abandoning another.

Outrage marketing they hope goes viral.

I’m not playing into their hand.

I wonder if their spices are mixed with aspestos and cancer?

tom kelly
05-27-2019, 23:32
Never herd of him or his product. Well, as long as he think's he is important to sway opinions DO NOT BUY his SPICES.

Pete
05-28-2019, 02:56
Never heard of them - and can't recall ever seeing their products in the spice section of the stores I frequent.

JJ_BPK
05-28-2019, 05:45
ditto Never heard of them - and can't recall ever seeing their products in the spice section of the stores I frequent.

:munchin

Little Fish
05-30-2019, 01:08
Companies and their leade...check that, management are of course free to do and say as they please, so long as it isn't illegal. Those familiar with Penzey's Spices are also probably well aware of the owner's far left positions, which he freely and frequently disseminates via his email ads for his company's products. While aggravating, they're sometimes fun if for nothing than the schadenfreude their Trump Derangement Syndrome-filled content stirs in me.

This weekend, however, Penzey took it too far, IMO. In his latest Memorial Day weekend ad, titled "Well someone has to say something— If not us who?", he deliberately slighted the meaning of the day, calling for people to use the day to remember that more women have died in pregnancy and child birth than men have died in combat, and to support Planned Parenthood by of course buying stuff from Penzey's Spices. Read the email for yourself:

"In my college days, as someone who spent a good chunk of my time studying history while having friends minoring in women’s studies, more than once these friends pointed out that history is pretty much mostly just “his” story. They were, of course, right. One of the facts so clearly backing them up is that, in the history of America far more women have died in pregnancy than men have died in combat. And this is not just a statistic from our distant past, this has held true since the start of this century as well. Yet where is this incredible cost women have paid in the teaching of our history? Where is this in the holidays we observe?

As a fan of “there’s no time like the present” I’m thinking that along with rightfully remembering and honoring those who gave all in service to our nation, maybe it’s time to make this weekend more inclusive of all those who gave all. Maybe in these last weeks, where the Republican Party’s attack on our country’s humanity has led to laws seizing control of reproductive rights from women and placing them in the hands of the state, we’ve reached the time for a turning point. Are we really going back to a time where white male privilege can dictate your assault victim/pre-teen daughter’s pregnancy is a gift from God and must be treated as such? I say Nope, Nope, and Nope.

And this isn’t about when life begins, this is about being truthful about what leads to the ending of pregnancies and honestly working to minimize those causes. When 80% comes down to pregnancies being unwanted, the first step is to ask who is working to cause unwanted pregnancies and why? Mothers Against Drunk Driving are actually against drunk driving. They don’t demand classes that teach bartenders how not to over-serve be shut down. They don’t lobby to pass laws that ban taxis and Uber from operating at bar time. Yet this is exactly what the right-to-life is doing when they block age-appropriate sex education and work to prevent accessible, affordable birth control.

For churches no longer about Jesus, or a political party no longer for We the People, children born into homes where two people love each other very much are not going to be where they find new customers. For tax cuts for the very-very rich and corporate jets for church leaders, the broken lives unwed, impoverished, single teen pregnancies create are what’s needed. Take away the right-to-life’s blocking sex education and affordable, accessible birth control, and abortion rates will plummet overnight, but so would the broken lives they depend on. Their leaders know this, but it’s a price they are willing to pay to fill their pews and get their votes. It’s time to call them on their cruelty.

But do you know who works hard to make sure young women are not left with nothing but bad choices? Planned Parenthood that’s who, and now more than anytime ever they need good people to let them know how much we appreciate all they do. So much of so many of our happily-ever-afters only came to be because of everything Planned Parenthood does to support and protect the health of women. Recent news articles have said corporate America has been silent on this issue because it is a no-win scenario. Maybe — Probably — I guess I’m about to find out. But with such a huge loss being certain if no one speaks out, we are willing to take a stand.

So this Memorial Day weekend, with every regularly-priced, individually sold half-cup jar, Penzeys will be donating $1 to Planned Parenthood to thank them for all they do and all they give to protect the lives and the rights of women. In a time where it can seem we are too short on real life heroes, the workers and volunteers of Planned Parenthood are just the people we are in need of. If cooking teaches us anything, it’s the transformative power of giving respect where respect is due. This weekend let’s give voice to our respect for those standing up for the rights of women. Silent support is no longer enough. Too much is now at stake.

Thanks for taking time this weekend to give respect to all those who have given so much to make America a place of liberty and equality,
Bill
bill@penzeys.com"

Regardless of your stance on abortion, a de facto call to co-opt a holiday intended to honor those that died in service to their nation, as a political call to arms is completely without honor or class. This distasteful stunt deserves wide exposure so others can make better informed purchasing choices.
By having a reverence for life, we enter into a spiritual relation with the world By practicing reverence for life we become good, deep, and alive.
Albert Schweitzer

Remington Raidr
05-30-2019, 07:03
He has been running his cockholster for years. This is NOT a marketing gimmick as far as I can see. He is truly deranged. But it is his company and I support his right to his depraved opinions, as I am free to shop elsewhere.:mad: