PDA

View Full Version : SSG Melgar's murder walks??

JJ_BPK
05-11-2019, 07:06
This sucks.
He is effectively walking with no punishment.

Chief Special Warfare Officer Adam Matthews has reached a pretrial agreement under which he will be referred to a special court-martial rather than a general one, said his attorney Grover Baxley. The maximum penalty that a special court-martial can impose is one year in prison, reduction in rank to E-1, forfeiture of two-thirds pay for one year, and a bad conduct discharge.

Matthews will plead guilty to charges of hazing, assault consummated by battery, burglary, and conspiracy to obstruct justice, Baxley said. In return for his cooperation, prosecutors will withdraw charges of murder and involuntary manslaughter for taking part in actions that led to the death of Army Staff Sgt. Logan Melgar on June 4, 2017 in Bamako, Mali, Baxley said.

link: (https://taskandpurpose.com/seal-plea-agreement-melgar-case?fbclid=IwAR0V1ija0drtt6KvJR9fdlQmyu2QqI792LVO rdXBPu1p0OG3xOo4-kNfQQU)

Could one of the 2L's explain why he can go from Murder to Hazing??

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Pete
05-11-2019, 07:34
I would guess because he talked first.

Old Dog New Trick
05-11-2019, 08:13
Why am I not surprised? :rolleyes::(

Joker
05-11-2019, 08:25
He is testifying for the prosecution against his “teammates.”

Basenshukai
05-11-2019, 08:30
He is testifying for the prosecution against his “teammates.”

So, that was my question when I read the news. Have they really "flipped" this guy to convict the other one with murder?

Joker
05-11-2019, 12:34
That is the normal SOP. Get one to talk and hammer the rest.

miclo18d
05-13-2019, 04:47
“Prisoners dilemma”

The first one to point the finger and testify gets the lesser charges, the other gets charged with the serious crime.

Another shining example of Navy SEAL camaraderie and resolve.

Not saying it would be any different with SF guys charged with murder...but it wasn’t.

Box
05-13-2019, 06:10
From what I have been able to follow - the only one they haven't "flipped" is one of the Marines that was dragged into the fracas.

The guy that actually choked him to death will probably spend less time in jail than most SF guys spend on a deployment.

Then he'll probably write a book.

Trapper John
05-13-2019, 07:37
“Prisoners dilemma”

The first one to point the finger and testify gets the lesser charges, the other gets charged with the serious crime.

Another shining example of Navy SEAL camaraderie and resolve.

Not saying it would be any different with SF guys charged with murder...but it wasn’t.

Well, for one thing, I can't imagine a Brother, let alone a group of Brothers, being involved in an act like this one in the first place! :eek:

Uman
05-14-2019, 17:29
What is the units history of types of punishment for its members taking government money. I mean how many have they sent to prison for doing the same?

WarriorDiplomat
05-14-2019, 17:37
What is the units history of types of punishment for its members taking government money. I mean how many have they sent to prison for doing the same?

I am sure there is a lot of fraud, waste and abuse throughout the military that goes unnoticed, overlooked and unreported....don't believe for a second any unit wants to know how frequent it happens....but when it brings delegitimacy to it's efforts, shame and embarrassment to a unit...the incalcuable cost of losing trust...I am sure the punishment can be compounded with other infractions

The Reaper
05-14-2019, 20:14
I seriously doubt that justice will be served here.

Look for all to skate with minor, if any punishment.

TR

Uman
06-08-2019, 23:21
So is this the Ethos of the famed SEAL unit and the Marine Raiders, a Prison Male Dominance Mentality?

https://www.businessinsider.com/navy-seals-sexual-assault-plan-logan-melgar-special-forces-2019-6

If so maybe both units have run their course.

LongWire
06-09-2019, 00:13
So is this the Ethos of the famed SEAL unit and the Marine Raiders, a Prison Male Dominance Mentality?

https://www.businessinsider.com/navy-seals-sexual-assault-plan-logan-melgar-special-forces-2019-6

If so maybe both units have run their course.

I always knew they were Butt Pirates!!! :D

Longstreet
06-09-2019, 08:16
If so maybe both units have run their course

Maybe they have. Canada had to disband its Airborne Regiment (a SOF type regiment) due to similar issues - minus killing one of their own. The Canadian government disbanded it in 1995.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1995/01/23/Disgraced-airborne-regiment-disbanded/5605790837200/

Little Fish
06-09-2019, 17:02
Wonder if you'd all feel the same if the SEAL killed a marine?

Joker
06-09-2019, 17:24

A man was murdered. Yes, we would feel the same, but this is closer to us as he was a Brother.

Tread lightly.

Flagg
06-09-2019, 19:03

As an outsider to all of these communities, but as a person with some direct working exposure to all three communities, I find it to be a painfully disappointing story to read.

My personal experiences with all three communities have been very much net positive, but I have also observed some of the often reported stereotypes of the communities as well.

I periodically work in a small tri-service team and occasionally as part of a small coalition team so I know how important it is to not only be a good team player but to also sort out interservice cultural and functional issues.

I know how important it is for seniors to not only set but exceed the standard and demand the same of the rest of the team.

I always think of my time working remotely/austerely as career highlights as it has always come with unusual and often much higher levels of latitude.

It is SO easy for that latitude to be abused on a slippery downward slope.

Hence vetting, vetting, training, and more vetting.

But then I can count the times I've done that with my fingers and I don't require a calculator or abacus, like so many others.

Maybe it's a romanticised notion of it, but I simply can't imagine OSS/SOE/LRDG/Z Force/DET-A/etc doing anything like this.

Indigenous players with their patchwork of motivations? Certainly...

But not the good guys in a time of war.

Which leaves me wondering if the perpetual war that continues with lower visibility is grinding our people more into feelings of being in a service trade(taking out the trash) than a professional calling to defend freedom and defeat tyranny?

As service community/cultures, do we perceive that we face the same immediate existential threat that we have in the past?

If not, would that contribute to this cowboy behaviour?

Also, I wonder if the average age of folks deployed in small teams is possibly a factor?

How would it compare to 20 years ago in terms of average age and years of service?

But then how old were the OSS/SOE/etc working without a net in non-permissive areas?

I also wonder how much of an impact that strategy(or possibly lack of it?) can have on morale and mission focus?

This is certainly NOT a defence of the individuals and their individual/collective behaviour, personal responsibility is king.

For some reason, I'm left thinking of that line from Aliens by Bill Paxton: "Is this going to be a stand-up fight, sir, or another bug hunt?"

I don't know if it applies.

I do know I feel really bad for the family and friends of the Fallen.

That's not how things are supposed to end for any of the good guys.

Little Fish
06-09-2019, 19:41
Interesting thoughts there Flagg..
I totally respect the Brotherhood of Special Forces and am pleased there is a site like this where their thoughts and outrage can be expressed.

Uman
06-09-2019, 20:21
If you are a Quiet Professional you would feel the same way if ODA members murdered a SEAL.

Why would the TM SGT allow some outsiders Haze one of his TM?

Did he know the extent of the hazing?

Flagg
06-09-2019, 20:21
Interesting thoughts there Flagg..
I totally respect the Brotherhood of Special Forces and am pleased there is a site like this where their thoughts and outrage can be expressed.

Completely agree that this site is an excellent resource.

The glass half full side of me says I will use what I can from this example as a learning tool for the young folks I get to work with.

Old Dog New Trick
06-09-2019, 21:04

Marine is spelled with a capital “M” and yes we would be just as disappointed knowing that a U.S. servicemen murdered another U.S. servicemen of any branch for any reason especially one as stupid as this.

That its been so effectively covered up and swept under the rug is just as painful as all the other mistakes that have led to the deaths of countless others supporting haphazard actions and ill planned operations.

Someone, some four individuals acted with malice against another “brother” and he died as a result of that. Someone or all four should be held accountable for their actions.

Pretty damned simple.

Leozinho
06-09-2019, 21:12
Why would the TM SGT allow some outsiders Haze one of his TM?

Did he know the extent of the hazing?

As far as I know, it hasn't been corroborated that anyone in SSG Melgar's chain of command greenlighted the 'hazing.' That came from either the SEALs or the Marines, who obviously have their self interest in mind.

Uman
06-09-2019, 21:16
The question is why is it being covered up?

Leozinho
06-09-2019, 21:28
The question is why is it being covered up?

What are you talking about? It's an active murder investigation (apparently) headed to trial. You want a press conference to satisfy your curiosity about whether a team sergeant signed off on the 'hazing'? You aren't getting it. I'm sure if it happened the defense will subpoena whoever supposedly greenlight it (if the defense thought that person would corroborate it.)

Hell, I'm using quotes on 'hazing' since that's the defense from the SEALs as well and I still have doubts. I'm certainly not repeating the supposed greenlighting as if its an established fact.

Uman
06-10-2019, 05:24
??????I agree with the points you made

Basenshukai
06-10-2019, 10:58
As far as I know, it hasn't been corroborated that anyone in SSG Melgar's chain of command greenlighted the 'hazing.' That came from either the SEALs or the Marines, who obviously have their self interest in mind.

Yep.

Uman
06-10-2019, 11:47
Sorry for the ????? I was typing 1 handed while drinking coffee.

I agree with your points.

bblhead672
06-11-2019, 12:28

No active member or veteran, regardless of service, rank or training should feel anything but disgust over this.

Theft, blackmail, murder....whatever the real story is it makes me want to puke.

7624U
01-04-2021, 18:47
https://www.thedailybeast.com/navy-seal-will-plead-guilty-to-killing-green-beret-logan-melgar?ref=home

The Navy SEAL who admitted to choking a Special Forces soldier to death in 2017 has agreed to plead guilty, according to his attorney.

Chief Petty Officer Tony DeDolph was formally charged with another SEAL and two special operations Marines in November 2018 with felony murder, conspiracy, obstruction of justice, burglary, hazing, and involuntary manslaughter in the strangulation death of Army Staff Sgt. Logan Melgar, a Special Forces soldier assigned to the 3rd Special Forces Group.

Sources familiar with the plea deal say DeDolph will plead guilty on January 14 to involuntary manslaughter, obstruction of justice, and hazing. The prosecution will dismiss felony murder and burglary in exchange for the guilty plea. Sources say DeDolph also agreed to a provision that bars him from profiting from the case in any way, including writing books or earning a living based on his experience at SEAL Team 6.

“This agreement will end the contested charges, allowing SOC [Special Operations Chief] DeDolph to accept responsibility for those offenses he can and mitigate most of the concerns over classified material present in the case,” Phil Stackhouse, DeDolph's civilian attorney, said in a statement. “We believe what is intended by a person’s actions is eminently important and the agreement recognizes that SOC DeDolph never intended to injure Logan Melgar, but also recognizes the fact that Melgar died as a result of actions that went tragically wrong on June 4, 2017.”

Slain Green Beret’s Widow Speaks: ‘I Knew They Were Lying’
‘THEY DON’T GET TO DO THAT’
Kevin Maurer

Stackhouse said while Melgar’s “death was not intentional,” it doesn’t diminish the grief felt by his friends and family. Stackhouse said the guilty plea is an attempt to help Melgar’s family “find closure and peace.”

The Daily Beast left a voicemail at a number allegedly belonging to DeDolph, but the call was not returned by press time. Melgar’s widow, Michelle, declined to comment.

A hearing is scheduled for January 14 in Norfolk, Va., where DeDolph will be required to convince a military judge of his guilt. After the hearing, DeDolph will be sentenced by a jury, according to sources.

DeDolph is the third of four defendants to plead guilty in the case. Only Sgt. Mario Madera-Rodriguez, a Marine Raider, is still awaiting trial. DeDolph’s plea agreement closes one of the last chapters in a case that has seen one of the NCIS investigators get pulled off the case after allegedly engaging in a romantic relationship with a witness and an accused SEAL's hit on Melgar’s widow at a Las Vegas gun show. The Navy even promoted DeDolph four months after he admitted to choking the Green Beret to death.

How a Hazing Led to Murder Charges for Elite Troops
SERIOUS JOKE
Kevin Maurer

DeDolph was part of the Naval Special Warfare Development Group, commonly known as Seal Team 6. He and Melgar were part of an intelligence operation in Mali supporting counterterrorism efforts against al Qaeda’s local affiliate, known as al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, in 2017.

Chief Petty Officer Adam C. Matthews, who was in Mali doing an assessment of the mission there, testified in August 2019 he felt it was his duty to haze Melgar—on DeDolph’s recommendation—to teach him a lesson after Melgar “ditched” the team in Mali’s capital city of Bamako on his way to a party at the French embassy.

DeDolph, Matthews, and two Marine Raiders—Gunnery Sgt. Mario Madera-Rodriguez and Staff Sgt. Kevin Maxwell—spent the rest of the night plotting to choke Melgar into unconsciousness, pull his pants down and videotape the incident and then show it to him later to embarrass him.

The four men—after getting permission from Sergeant First Class James Morris, Melgar’s supervisor—broke down Melgar’s door and attacked him. During the melee, Melgar became unresponsive. Matthews and DeDolph tried to resuscitate Melgar with CPR and opened a hole in his throat. The SEALS with Morris then rushed Melgar to a French medical facility, where he was pronounced dead. At the clinic, DeDolph admitted to an embassy official he choked Melgar, according to NBC News and subsequent reports.

Navy SEAL Promoted After Choking Green Beret to Death
WTFO
Kevin Maurer

A medical examiner’s report, based on a June 8, 2017 autopsy at Dover Air Force Base, concluded Melgar’s cause of death was asphyxiation and the manner of death was homicide, according to documents reviewed by The Daily Beast.

Maxwell and Matthews have already pleaded guilty in exchange for plea agreements with prosecutors. Matthews, 33, pleaded guilty to hazing and assault charges and attempts to cover up what happened to Melgar. He was sentenced in May 2019 to one year in military prison. Maxwell, 29, was sentenced to four years of confinement after pleading guilty in connection with Melgar’s death in June 2019.

Madera-Rodriguez is the last of the four men who carried out the attack to stand trial. He is expected to face a court-martial in February and has no plans to plead guilty, said his civilian attorney Colby Vokey.

Remington Raidr
01-05-2021, 13:55
. .Sergeant First Class James Morris? Melgar’s supervisor?:confused:

The Reaper
01-06-2021, 12:47
Just as predicted.

There ain't no justice.

TR

Box
01-06-2021, 13:45
So... this is just a HUGE misunderstanding - while this dirtbag is getting a plea deal for admitting that he lied, cheated, and killed in a blatant act of betrayal to his country and fellow warriors, across America the legal system is applying "justice" to people for not wearing their mask. It sounds like the worst punishment this turd has received so far is being told he can't write a book about it.
It's almost as bad that his shit fisted lawyer had the nerve to say that this guilty plea is an attempt to help Melgar’s family “find closure and peace.”

It's a beautiful world we live in - A sweet romantic place
Beautiful people everywhere - The way they show they care
Makes me want to say - It's a beautiful world
...for you - It's not for me

SGG Melgar, may he rest in peace, has been betrayed by his leaders and by his country.

I hope for the sake of all that is decent in this world, the jury sees through this bullshit and applies the stiffest sentencing allowable.

May Dedoplh be justly blessed with all that which he is due.

LongWire
01-06-2021, 22:53
This is so fucked!!

CSB
01-12-2021, 18:59
Chief Special Warfare Officer Adam Matthews ...

may you live forever.

HC433
02-04-2021, 00:36
I can't confirm that what im going to say is 100% true. But when i read about SSG melgar's murder a while back. I said something to one of my friends that just got back from that nice part of the world. So please don't get mad at me if im way off. But this guy was one of your brothers so maybe this will help.
suppossedly the seals and the marines were skimming money from the secret jsoc budget . Apparently SSG Melgar caught on to what these scumbags were doing and he either confronted them stating that he was going to report this theft to the commanding officer or whoever was incharge. Another reason was they over heard them telling his wife that he caught these guys stealing money. This is why they killed him . These guys wernt hazing shit . They were shutting him up and the hazing bs was the best excuse they came up with. Well thats all i know and im sorry that this happened to one of your guys and a good soldier. I hope this might help . Sorry if you guys already know what i just stated.
RIP SSG Melgar

Roguish Lawyer
02-04-2021, 17:59
I can't confirm that what im going to say is 100% true. But when i read about SSG melgar's murder a while back. I said something to one of my friends that just got back from that nice part of the world. So please don't get mad at me if im way off. But this guy was one of your brothers so maybe this will help.
suppossedly the seals and the marines were skimming money from the secret jsoc budget . Apparently SSG Melgar caught on to what these scumbags were doing and he either confronted them stating that he was going to report this theft to the commanding officer or whoever was incharge. Another reason was they over heard them telling his wife that he caught these guys stealing money. This is why they killed him . These guys wernt hazing shit . They were shutting him up and the hazing bs was the best excuse they came up with. Well thats all i know and im sorry that this happened to one of your guys and a good soldier. I hope this might help . Sorry if you guys already know what i just stated.
RIP SSG Melgar

Please introduce yourself as directed before posting again. Thank you.