Currently only available to SEAL Team 6 :munchin

Q: Who is going to jump-n-hump that solar charger?? :eek:

Nikola Reckless UTV for SOF

775 FT LBS TORQUE
590 HP
UP TO 150 MILE RANGE**
4.0 SECONDS 0-60mph

waterproof

The Reckless™ is the only OHV built that does not require air to operate. An IP67 rating on all parts means you can submerge the Reckless in water up to 1 meter for 30 minutes giving you piece of mind in wet conditions

Instant Torque

Experience torque on demand with no delay. The Nikola Reckless's™ exhilarating performance delivers up to 775 ft-lbs of peak torque and the wide RPM range makes the Reckless ideal for all types of driving; rock crawling, dunes, snow and trails.

Direct Drive

No more belts, electric motors drive each wheel on the Reckless! Enjoy increased efficiency, instant power, improved reliability and regenerative stopping power across all types of terrain.

Low Center of Gravity

A lower center of gravity means more control, faster cornering, and fewer rollovers. The batteries on the Reckless are installed inside the bottom frame rail, moving the motors to each wheel and keeping a majority of the weight at or below your feet.

https://nikolamotor.com/reckless

PS: I have no idea why that guy in pic #2 has a scuba mask on :]

Guy
04-18-2019, 07:39
PS: I have no idea why that guy in pic #2 has a scuba mask on :]3D goggles used with UAV.

Joker
04-18-2019, 07:47
3D goggles used with UAV.

They are trying to find where they parked their electric golf-cart.

My car has ~600 hp, 0-60 in <4 sec, range of ~300 miles per tank vs 150 miles, can be fully refilled in <10 minutes vs 2-17 hours for the golf-cart.

JJ_BPK
04-18-2019, 07:56
They are trying to find where they parked their electric golf-cart.

My car has ~600 hp, 0-60 in <4 sec, range of ~300 miles per tank vs 150 miles, can be fully refilled in <10 minutes vs 2-17 hours for the golf-cart.

Exactly my argument. Golf Cart technology is still experimental, expensive, and of little practical use. :munchin

Golf1echo
04-18-2019, 08:36
The Marines have a hand in the development, This from Nikola Motors Director. In the future imagine a Special Operations Team driving an electric and hydrogen powered Light Tactical All-Terrain Vehicle (LTATV) over 400 miles without refueling. Think about the advantages of being able to export vehicle generated electricity to power communications gear, computers, drones and combat operations centers. Future vehicles that can deliver a three dimensional capability and solve multiple problems for the Soldier in the fight will be in high demand. Combining electricity with hydrogen to extend mission duration and reduce logistical requirements just makes sense. NASA uses hydrogen fuel to launch the space shuttles. Hydrogen is the simplest element. An atom of hydrogen consists of only one proton and one electron. It's also the most plentiful element in the universe. Despite its simplicity and abundance, hydrogen doesn't occur naturally as a gas on the Earth - it's always combined with other elements. Water, for example, is a combination of hydrogen and oxygen (H2O).

Took me awhile but sounds like I'm a little more optimistic about this technology especially when coupled with a broader energy platform. The stats on moving fuel in and around a battle space are daunting at times, as many here know.

Longstreet
04-18-2019, 16:04
I did some quick checking and they cost $85,000 USD per unit so they are not chump change. I assume the solar charger is an extra cost. I guess one thing they do have going for them is they would be very quiet.

glebo
04-18-2019, 17:01
Jayson here and I did some quick checking and they cost $85,000 USD per unit so they are not chump change. I assume the solar charger is an extra cost. I guess one thing they do have going for them is they would be very quiet.

jaYson

except for the dust trail....

Old Dog New Trick
04-18-2019, 18:47
Having experienced every high speed, low drag, light weight, super compact, new fangled battery operated gadget they could give us in 80s & 90s I’ll stand by my earlier statement: “if it works on batteries it will fail when needed most!”

Night vision goggles, laser/red dot sights, that radio to call the exfil bird that’s two-minutes out on a hot LZ...yep that’s when the “AA” or CR123 battery goes tits up!

Kinda like owning a Tesla and running out of juice in the middle of the night only two miles from home.

Givin’ that they are SEALs and have strong legs they should install pedal crank generators at their feet...a little better than Fred Flintstone! (Feed that squirrel!)

PSM
04-18-2019, 19:15
Kinda like owning a Tesla and running out of juice in the middle of the night only two miles from home.

Or in the middle of Compton. :eek:

Joker
04-18-2019, 20:32
Jayson here and I did some quick checking and they cost $85,000 USD per unit so they are not chump change. I assume the solar charger is an extra cost. I guess one thing they do have going for them is they would be very quiet.

jaYson

Have you ever ridden in a 600HP vehicle going through its paces? Mine has a very high-pitched squeals, coming from the passenger(s). You would have to get mufflers for their mouths...:D

Flagg
04-18-2019, 23:50
We are not yet at the point of a breakthrough solid state battery.

We are probably another 7+years off.

Battery performance is only increasing about 7-10% per year(Moore’s Law is physics, not chemistry)

But the installed base of LIon battery factories is so large that while battery performance may not spike, prices are likely to drop at an accelerated rate.

A bit like LCD/LED screens dropped drastically in price in the last decade.

Motor wise, I would far, far rather have to rely on a good quality electric motor than a good quality ICE motor.

It’s just “fuel tank” energy density and stability left to sort.

Golf1echo
04-19-2019, 07:19
Having experienced every high speed, low drag, light weight, super compact, new fangled battery operated gadget they could give us in 80s & 90s I’ll stand by my earlier statement: “if it works on batteries it will fail when needed most!”

Night vision goggles, laser/red dot sights, that radio to call the exfil bird that’s two-minutes out on a hot LZ...yep that’s when the “AA” or CR123 battery goes tits up!

Chilling thought-

Good argument for a lensatic compass, pace count beads, map, pencil, extra TP & water...:D