PDA

View Full Version : Emerson Karambit --Review

Smokin Joe
01-31-2005, 05:54
First time review so bare with me.

I just picked up an Emerson Combat Karambit. I have been reading and listening for approximately 6 months about the Karambit in general. I researched both Mr. Tarani's Karambit as well as Mr. Emerson's Karambit. I went with the Emerson because of 2 distinct reasons: 1. The Wave design which makes opening it as fast (relatively speaking) as drawing a fixed blade. 2. I got a good freaking deal on the blade.

First and for most if you are going to get a Karambit I would highly suggest you take some professional instruction or at the minimum get some instucrtional videos, and get a training blade. These knives are very high on the "Cool Guy" scale due to the fact that you can spin the knife. However, unless you know what you are doing spinning a live blade will give you stitches. I can almost guarantee it! The Karambit takes along time to master do not expect to be Zoro with a Karambit in a few days.

On to the Knife:
These are the specs:
Handles: Black G-10 epoxy / glass laminate
Liners: Aerospace grade Titanium
Blade: 154 CM
Finish: Black - Teflon
Grind: Razor Sharp Chisel Grind

Overall Length: 6.80 in.
Blade Length: 2.60 in.
Handle Length: 4.65 in.
Blade Thickness: .125 in.
Hardness: 57-59 RC

The blade is hooked much like a lot of Ms. FrontSights H.A.K.'S it is also razor sharp without a doubt. It comes with a chisel grind making sharpening relatively easy.

A very interesting design on this knife (and most Emerson Knives now days) is the Wave design. The Wave Design is a ridge above the thumb hole of the knife the design and intent of this is for the ridge to grab the corner of your pocket when deploying the blade. This is why it is as fast as a fixed blade to draw because of the fact that while drawing the blade the ridge grabs the corner of your pocket and opens itself. Make sure you keep you fingers out of the way (ref pic #1). This can be accomplished no matter how you have the blade set up to draw be it a saber grip or a reverse grip.

The handle is a G-10 epoxy it feels good in a saber grip or in a reverse grip. The handle is a great design, because I have come across some Karambits that fit and feel great in a saber grip but are uncomfortable or awkward in a reverse grip and vise-versa. Additionally the handle design is not overly big or overly small, it just right. As well the finger hole is a near perfect size it promotes smooth transition from a reverse to an extended grip and vise versa making spinning and transition very smooth, fast, and easy.

How does it handle?
The knife feels like an extension of your hand (as any good knife or sword should) it handles well and is very "quick" not that I would fence with this knife but it moves through the air with ease and fluidity. This makes for easy cuts and precise placement of your cuts. Due to the blades hooked design it is best suited to jab, filet, or to slash. One of my favorite features of the Karambit and one of the main reasons I started looking at them was the inherent retention ability. In a saber grip you slip your pinkie finger through the finger hole and then creating a fist with the knife. It is a very comfortable grip because the handle is curved to fit your hands natural flex or curve. Having your pinkie in the finger hole helps ensure good retention and control. In a reverse grip you slip your pointer finger through the finger hole. This is just as strong a grip as the saber grip again control and retention are great in this grip. Additionally holding the blade in a reverse grip allows you to "extend" the blade. The extended grip is the weakest grip but allows you a quick transition from a reverse grip to a grip that is more conducive to pulling instead of pushing.

Although I am a novice when it comes to the Karambit I would highly suggest the Emerson they have done a great job engineering and designing this knife.

Okay the review is over lets hear it how did I do and don’t pull any punches (not like you guys would :D )

Trip_Wire (RIP)
01-31-2005, 13:18
Good review! :munchin

Sacamuelas
01-31-2005, 13:57
LOL......wait... the more I think about it.... ROTFLMAO!!!

(btw- good review. THanks)

Roguish Lawyer
01-31-2005, 13:58
I am no expert, but that was an excellent review IMO. Thanks!

NousDefionsDoc
01-31-2005, 19:13
Great review!

Smokin Joe
01-31-2005, 21:48
Thank you gentlemen for your feed back the ego appericates it :munchin

Even Saca's comment. :)

12B4S
02-01-2005, 00:45
I am no expert, but that was an excellent review IMO. Thanks!

Putting myself in RL's category SJ. Thinking, Saca was just trying how to use that knife for a root canal. :rolleyes:
Messing around aside, your review makes me want to get one.

The Reaper
02-05-2005, 00:08
Well done, Joe.

TR

Smokin Joe
02-05-2005, 10:45
Thank you gentlemen.