PDA

View Full Version : Stick Position

twistedsquid
02-06-2019, 02:12
I'm looking over my Dad's jump log and noting his stick positions. Is there a method to the assignment? Curious.

Joker
02-06-2019, 04:13
Copy a page and redact any PII and highlight the areas in question then scan and post a page.

Pete
02-06-2019, 04:18
Are you asking about a a tactical jump by the 82nd or an SF Team? Big difference.

Somebody from a 82nd S3 shop would have to explain the details but because of the length of the sticks they cross load sections/units on different A/C. So the first troops out of each A/C might be 1st Platoon.

On our team it was usually Team Leader, commo, medic, heavy guys to lightest guys and last was the Team Sergeant - who always got out - maybe on an amber light but never red.

miclo18d
02-06-2019, 05:33
In my day, for most of my jumps, the manifest is random....just names of people on the jump. Tactical missions you were placed in an order on the plane generally for mission purposes. I’m not sure the manifests ever reflected the tactical reality of the jump. It may have in some cases but most were just to make sure you got credit for the jump. The only jump I have a manifest for is my Panama combat jump. Manifests were kept at unit level for....2 or 3 years if memory serves me.

CSB
02-06-2019, 17:19
The only time "stick position" was ever important (at least in training jumps, I've never made a combat jump) was with respect to the load carried.
The man with the heaviest load was positioned closest to the door so he could stand up and waddle to the door, preferably being first out.

When I jumped into ROBIN SAGE I had my ruck and a complete M2 60mm mortar in a CWIE (Red Ball) container, plus my LBE
(web gear, worn "exposed" in the Special Forces style) and an M-16 under my left arm.
All up, I probably weighed 320 lbs (I weighed 155 lbs on the PT scales in my gym shorts).

So it was simply logical to make myself the #1 jumper, left door, so I'd be the first man out of the C-130 Combat Talon.
The rest of the A Team would follow me, but I'd have the easiest time making the trip to the door once fully rigged. Since the Drop Zone was
set up with the desired impact point beginning at the intersection of an inverted "L" of lights, I should land closest to the DZ team
who could help unload my air items (main, reserve, aviator's kit bag, steel helmet) and fit me up for the march
to the assembly point, without having to march a kilometer or more from the center of the DZ to the turn-in/assembly point.

Frankly, I really don't remember where I was in most of my "middle of the stick" jumps. It really didn't matter,
especially when we were jumping both doors.

Pete
02-06-2019, 17:44
...... we were jumping both doors.

Those were the days, no net -1s and jumping a team out both doors.

Then nets - trying to stagger when jumping both doors, no jumping -1s out both doors - Oh to hell with it we'll just jump one door or the ramp as fast as we can.

twistedsquid
02-06-2019, 20:46
Thanks for the great information.