PDA

View Full Version : Medal Upgrade Question

PSM
01-30-2019, 19:31
For almost 20 years I've been trying to track down information on my uncle who was killed in Korea during Operation Killer. He was CO of A/1/9 2ID. Razor was helpful in connecting me to his USMA class historian (SF COL Dexter) and some other good sources.

I found GOs that showed him receiving 2 BSMs(V), one posthumously. But, he also received a Silver Star posthumously and I can not find a citation for that because his files were lost in the '73 fire. Most of the evidence points that his last BSM was upgraded to the SS. My question is, would he have lost the 2nd BSM and OLC if it was upgraded and, if so, would there be orders to that effect?

Swoop
01-31-2019, 06:10
PSM,

IIRC, when his 2nd BSM was upgraded to the SS; orders should have been cut rescinding the original award and subsequently awarding the revised(in this case the upgrade to SS) award.

PSM
01-31-2019, 10:30
Thanks, Swoop. The Army being the Army that's what I figured. I never realized how much paperwork was generated by it until I started this quest. And using typewriters and carbon paper. :eek: