PDA

View Full Version : Air Force’s $1,300 coffee cups

Pete
10-23-2018, 02:44
Battle over Air Force’s $1,300 coffee cups heats up

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2018/10/22/battle-over-air-forces-1300-coffee-cups-heats-up/

"The Air Force, under fire for throwing down $1,280 apiece to replace in-flight reheating cups after their handles break, is pledging to use 3-D printing to get that replacement cost down to 50 cents.

But Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, is still wondering why these pricey water heaters are necessary in the first place, and plans to keep pushing the Air Force to find cheaper ways to warm up their coffee......"

We've all heard the jokes about Military Procurement, Air Force in particular. But a $1,300 reheating coffee cup?

For those that don't know military cargo planes have a tiny kitchen station where they can make coffee and cook TV dinners. When lots of troops travel as cargo they can slide in a comfort pallet with porta potties and an expanded cook station.

So the AF has replaced that stack of Styrofoam Cups with a $1,300 plug in reheater per man?

Box
10-23-2018, 06:15
HAHAHAHAHAHA

....coffee cup heats up

The air force is so funny.

rsdengler
10-23-2018, 07:37
Wow...they never had that luxury when I was in the Air Force.....LOL:p

CSB
10-23-2018, 08:13
Is that a coffee "cup" (one person) or a coffee "pot" (makes several cups)?
It looks rather large for a "cup" and if it is electrically heated it looks like it would
burn your mouth.

TOMAHAWK9521
10-23-2018, 09:39
Is that a coffee "cup" (one person) or a coffee "pot" (makes several cups)?
It looks rather large for a "cup" and if it is electrically heated it looks like it would
burn your mouth.

It looks like a leg 1SG's dream come true. Back in the 80's, I saw many a 1SG from leg units with the standard starched, blocked PCs and a trucker's "vat-o-coffee" in their mitts. Those senior NCOs would have likely killed someone to have such a decadent luxury.

G2squared
10-23-2018, 22:15
Need to go to COTS buying. $12 for 12V heating coffee mug at Walmart and $32 for a heating AND cooling cup, both spill resistant on Amazon. and then theres the faithful standby, Stanley...

G2

Ret10Echo
10-24-2018, 04:17
"The Air Force, under fire for throwing down $1,280 apiece to replace in-flight reheating cups after their handles break, is pledging to use 3-D printing to get that replacement cost down to 50 cents.

Didn't they just skip over the whole cost of purchase and operation of a 3D printer here?

Badger52
10-24-2018, 05:47
Didn't they just skip over the whole cost of purchase and operation of a 3D printer here?LOL. Which will be 18x as much if they buy it, including the cyber-security suite. Can't have someone hacking the plans to our coffee cups.

Joker
10-24-2018, 08:58
LOL. Which will be 18x as much if they buy it, including the cyber-security suite. Can't have someone hacking the plans to our coffee cups.

Handles. Coffee cup HANDLES, not the whole danged cup. We cannot waste good Air Force $$ on ccoffee cups. The handles are a different story. :D

I wonder if they could print me out some computer paper while the are at it? :munchin

Badger52
10-24-2018, 09:34
Handles. Coffee cup HANDLES, not the whole danged cup. We cannot waste good Air Force $$ on ccoffee cups. The handles are a different story. :D
Oh, yes, you're right; acchhh, what a dunderhead I am.
Ok, that will be 26x as much for just the handle. I mean, isn't that how lingerie is priced? Would you like to go for matching coasters in the current 'flage' du jour?
:D

PedOncoDoc
10-24-2018, 11:58
Ok, that will be 26x as much for just the handle. I mean, isn't that how lingerie is priced? Would you like to go for matching coasters in the current 'flage' du jour?

What are you into that your lingerie has handles? :p

Golf1echo
10-24-2018, 12:06
What are you into that your lingerie has handles? :p

Tie downs?

Badger52
10-24-2018, 12:33
Tie downs?No you're confusing with the SS when they were down in SA.

rsdengler
10-25-2018, 08:20

You had to stick "Lingerie" in there, didn't you ?.....LOL...lacy and silky things are always expensive.....:p

Box
10-25-2018, 08:26
I'm confused - is the crew buying lingerie as well as heated coffee-pot-cups?

WTF is going on in those airplanes?

PedOncoDoc
10-25-2018, 08:30

What happens at 35,000 feet stays at 35,000 feet....although it sounds like Badger52 might has some intel and/or lingerie....

;)

bblhead672
10-25-2018, 10:16

Aiiir Forrrrce Lingerie Sir! (apologies to Bill Murray!)

Badger52
10-25-2018, 10:55
I think Rita is the only one who "got it" - think bikini vs. the 1-piece worn by the snippety one from Massachusetts in Donovan's Reef. Less material = cost more. The rest of you have disappointed...
:rolleyes: and applied your sexist, misogynist, Air Farce-hating selves to an economics issue. Now go find an Antifite and deck 'em for pennance that you may redeem yourselves.
:p

Remington Raidr
10-25-2018, 16:35
Youall just aint big picture guys. THIS is why the Air Force wants to dump the A-10.:eek:

rubberneck
10-25-2018, 19:55
Need to go to COTS buying. $12 for 12V heating coffee mug at Walmart and $32 for a heating AND cooling cup, both spill resistant on Amazon. and then theres the faithful standby, Stanley...

G2

The one gallon Yeti Rambler sells for $130 retail. Fill up before you take off and it will still be warm 12 hours later.

rsdengler
10-26-2018, 12:37
I think Rita is the only one who "got it" - think bikini vs. the 1-piece worn by the snippety one from Massachusetts in Donovan's Reef. Less material = cost more. The rest of you have disappointed...
:rolleyes: and applied your sexist, misogynist, Air Farce-hating selves to an economics issue. Now go find an Antifite and deck 'em for pennance that you may redeem yourselves.
:p

LOL...Or maybe I just like Sexy Lingerie or Bikini's.....:p

Not the first time the AF spent way too much for something on an airplane...didn't they buy expensive toilet seats one time? Wow, that's what I call the Golden Pooh Pot for sure.....HA