PDA

View Full Version : F-16 destroyed on ground by negligent Vulcan cannon discharge

mojaveman
10-15-2018, 21:53
Talk about a major FU, one F-16 destroyed and another seriously damaged. I'd hate to be the responsible party.

https://www.aviation24.be/military-aircraft/belgian-air-component/air-force-f-16-destroyed-maintenance-collateral-damage-second/

Box
10-16-2018, 06:38
For some reason, "whoops" just doesn't seem to be the right explanation.
Just think, there was a time in my military career when I worried that my biggest ass chewing while conducting maintenance would be for not having wheel chocks and an oil pan while I was working on the CUCV.

...occasionally I might obsess that maybe -just maybe - I had put the vehicle back on line without having the bumper lined up with the other trucks

Ret10Echo
10-16-2018, 06:55
No-Pay-Due

EVER

glebo
10-16-2018, 07:11
Talk about a major FU, one F-16 destroyed and another seriously damaged. I'd hate to be the responsible party.

https://www.aviation24.be/military-aircraft/belgian-air-component/air-force-f-16-destroyed-maintenance-collateral-damage-second/

Relative of McCain???

bblhead672
10-16-2018, 08:43
Always assume the firearm is loaded. :D

atticus finch
10-16-2018, 10:47
major screw-up.

those planes have been around a long time, safety procedures for those planes are well established with multiple safeguards.

Somebody had to have bypassed several layers of safety procedures for this to happen.

armed cannon in the hanger? I can't see how that is not the first violation unless their safety procedures are different from what I've experienced.

Edit: thankfully nobody got killed, planes can be replaced.

miclo18d
10-16-2018, 11:30
For some reason, "whoops" just doesn't seem to be the right explanation.
Just think, there was a time in my military career when I worried that my biggest ass chewing while conducting maintenance would be for not having wheel chocks and an oil pan while I was working on the CUCV.

...occasionally I might obsess that maybe -just maybe - I had put the vehicle back on line without having the bumper lined up with the other trucks

Hehehehe..... you said Cuck V...... hehehe

TFA303
10-16-2018, 13:12
On the plus side, he's 20% closer to being an Ace than anyone else in the Dutch Air Force...

PedOncoDoc
10-16-2018, 13:32
On the plus side, he's 20% closer to being an Ace than anyone else in the Dutch Air Force...

I don't know about that. It depends on if one gets as much for shooting up a plane as one gets for shooting one down. :D

tom kelly
10-16-2018, 14:27
Relative of McCain??? He is still the record holder for $$$$$ damage cost to Military Equip. ACCIDENTALLY....

G2squared
10-21-2018, 21:56
Looks like they can't just buff it out...