PDA

View Full Version : Influence Peddlers

Team Sergeant
09-23-2018, 09:16
google, fakebook, yelp, tripadvisor, cnn, msnbc, nyt's etc etc etc

Someday internet users might realize that 50-75% of internet "information" is fake. Until then most will be manipulated.

One in three TripAdvisor reviews are fake,' with venues buying glowing reviews, investigation finds
By Guy Birchall | The Sun

Up to a third of reviews on TripAdvisor are fake with hotels and restaurants buying positive reviews, it has been claimed.

Analysis of tens of thousands of reviews on the site has shown that top rated bed and breakfasts have almost twice as many “false” reviews as lower ranked establishments.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/09/23/one-in-three-tripadvisor-reviews-are-fake-with-venues-buying-glowing-reviews-investigation-finds.html

Badger52
09-23-2018, 10:58
Hardly surprising; the practice has been going on for decades in various magazines that cater to one segment or another. (Car & firearm reviews are particularly bad in this area.) Goes to show that one needs to be discerning always and the only research results that are valid to you are yours & trusted sources known to you.

Evy-ting foh sale becuz, cha-ching.
:munchin

Flagg
09-23-2018, 13:23
One of the problems with real reviews on the platform Yelp is Reviews being used as blackmail.

I know of numerous businesses, mostly in the hospitality sector, that have been threatened with vicious Yelp reviews unless free stuff is offered in exchange.

It’s not just cops/LE who need body cams to protect themselves against false narratives and fake news.

I’m a fan of platforms like Hacker News where reviewer credibility is measured and shaped, or here where members are vetted.

doctom54
09-23-2018, 16:02
One of the problems with real reviews on the platform Yelp is Reviews being used as blackmail.

I know of numerous businesses, mostly in the hospitality sector, that have been threatened with vicious Yelp reviews unless free stuff is offered in exchange.

It’s not just cops/LE who need body cams to protect themselves against false narratives and fake news.

I’m a fan of platforms like Hacker News where reviewer credibility is measured and shaped, or here where members are vetted.

Also Yelp uses an internal algorithm to determine which reviews it shows the public. They will not tell the business own how it works. That's one of the reasons our clinic dropped them.
Google reviews are NOT policed either. You can post any kind of review you want even if you have never been to that business.

Flagg
09-23-2018, 21:24
Also Yelp uses an internal algorithm to determine which reviews it shows the public. They will not tell the business own how it works. That's one of the reasons our clinic dropped them.
Google reviews are NOT policed either. You can post any kind of review you want even if you have never been to that business.

What’s funny is that Yelp is scared to death that Google is slowly eating their business with Google Reviews combined with reducing Yelp’s Search Rank in comparison to Google Reviews.

Good news and worse news.