PDA

View Full Version : What happened after the Fall? NSFW

JJ_BPK
08-27-2018, 04:24
Found this old article about Viet Nam left behind arms.
It's very sad to think this stuff was abandon and is now unrecoverable.
Shortly after the article was published the cache was sent to the smelters.

WARNING: The following link shows material that may make some 18B's sick and could cause irreparable mental damage. :mad:

link: Gun Graveyard By Ray, May 23, 2011 (http://www.armoryblog.com/firearms/gun-graveyard/)

cbtengr
08-27-2018, 18:32
Damn! Those pics are every dems wet dream.

sfshooter
08-28-2018, 09:02
The horror....the horror!!:eek: I think that pic just made the value of the Thompsons go up.
I recall looking into a connex stacked floor to ceiling with AK's that were going out to get destroyed. Talking with a 3ID soldier who was showing it to us and he said a few weeks before he had come upon a 1903 Springfield with a serial number of 800. It got destroyed and he couldn't talk his command into letting him take it home.
The US and its Allies sure did a number on the gun collection of the Hussein brothers.
What a rich gun market their was in that country.
Being especially fond of firearms it is sad to see things like that destroyed.

Golf1echo
08-28-2018, 21:17
Who used the G3s?

Interesting search, not sure if some of the comments were speculation or truth? Seems like a decent system for that theater...

sfshooter
08-29-2018, 09:21
I didn't realize the G-3 was used in Vietnam but it has been around a long time like the FN-FAL. I seen a chrome plated G-3 in Iraq in 2005. Quite gaudy looking it was. Was going to carry a para model FN-FAL in '04 there but couldn't get spare mags.

PSM
08-29-2018, 10:52
I didn't realize the G-3 was used in Vietnam but it has been around a long time like the FN-FAL. I seen a chrome plated G-3 in Iraq in 2005. Quite gaudy looking it was. Was going to carry a para model FN-FAL in '04 there but couldn't get spare mags.

According to the Wayback Machine, the SEALs used them in Viet Nam:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160304074425/http://www.warboats.org/mst2bremmer/stoner_ord_notes/stonerhtml/Heckler_and_Koch_G3.htm

Guymullins
08-30-2018, 05:00

The G3 was not very highly thought of in Rhodesia and was given to the Farm Guard Force while the real battle rifle was the FN FAL.
I worked with the FN/R1 rifle and liked it but the Para FN was so much more versatile with its folding butt, both for parachuting as well as in-vehicle use. Jumping with the Para R1 allowed you to use the parachute belly band to keep it flush with your upper body and a length of paracord tied to the rifle and to a shirt epaulet ensured that it didnt go into freefall if it slipped out of the belly band. If you needed it in=air, you could easily access it without undoing a weapons container.
This picture of me on a combat jump shows that I had loosened my rifle as we were taking heavy ground fire but my priority when the picture was taken was to avoid a river beneath.

Golf1echo
08-30-2018, 07:13
Thank you for the image Guy, hope you are well.

"given to the Farm Guard Force" ... I was thinking behind the wire with a large objective lens scope...heavy compared with the M16s.

PSM SEAL use is what was indicated but they mentioned Thailand...

Burma 1960 : Licensed produced G3A3 by Myanmar stated owned KaPaSa factories in partnership with Fritz Werner Industry Ausrustungen-Gmbh (FRG) and the German Technical Corporation Agency[10][11] with licensing rights sold by 1960 with the first 10,000 G3s bought from West Germany before Burmese factories went operational due to fears that it could align with East Germany.

mark46th
08-30-2018, 08:17
You should always make friends with the EOD guys. We were friends with the Air Force EOD guys at NKP. All the weapons captured/confiscated in Laos went to them for destruction. They let us take whatever we wanted for "educational purposes".

Guymullins
08-30-2018, 14:29
Thank you for the image Guy, hope you are well.

"given to the Farm Guard Force" ... I was thinking behind the wire with a large objective lens scope...heavy compared with the M16s.

PSM SEAL use is what was indicated but they mentioned Thailand...

Burma 1960 : Licensed produced G3A3 by Myanmar stated owned KaPaSa factories in partnership with Fritz Werner Industry Ausrustungen-Gmbh (FRG) and the German Technical Corporation Agency[10][11] with licensing rights sold by 1960 with the first 10,000 G3s bought from West Germany before Burmese factories went operational due to fears that it could align with East Germany.

I am well thank you Golf. been very busy with trying to repatriate the remains of our last MIA paratrooper in Angola. We locate his unmarked grave alongside the river I am avoiding in the picture. It has been 40 years since he went MIA so it has been a detective story of note.

Golf1echo
08-31-2018, 07:35
I am well thank you Golf. been very busy with trying to repatriate the remains of our last MIA paratrooper in Angola. We locate his unmarked grave alongside the river I am avoiding in the picture. It has been 40 years since he went MIA so it has been a detective story of note.

Sounds like determination and persistence, excellent that your efforts are coming to conclusion.

A month or so ago I had the pleasure of meeting Lt Col. Robert K Brown ( ret.) at the association picnic, he published "Soldier of Fortune" magazine which back before the internet gave readers some of the only first hand information on the conflicts around the world. Several in your realm captured my attention. One was the Battle of Kolwezi : http://foreignlegion.info/battle-of-kolwezi/ alonge with several others.

There was also a picture or painting and article of the raiders at Cassinga ... a live fire parachute attack in bush country IIRC as your image shows by a relatively small contingent of men. edit: Poking around I see the connection now. Impressive Sir...

Another article about some combatants that had some magic amulets around their necks so that when they stood on one leg they would be invisible... that method was ineffective... the guys in the gun trucks were a bit astonished.

Guymullins
08-31-2018, 12:45
Sounds like determination and persistence, excellent that your efforts are coming to conclusion.

A month or so ago I had the pleasure of meeting Lt Col. Robert K Brown ( ret.) at the association picnic, he published "Soldier of Fortune" magazine which back before the internet gave readers some of the only first hand information on the conflicts around the world. Several in your realm captured my attention. One was the Battle of Kolwezi : http://foreignlegion.info/battle-of-kolwezi/ alonge with several others.

There was also a picture or painting and article of the raiders at Cassinga ... a live fire parachute attack in bush country IIRC as your image shows by a relatively small contingent of men. edit: Poking around I see the connection now. Impressive Sir...

Another article about some combatants that had some magic amulets around their necks so that when they stood on one leg they would be invisible... that method was ineffective... the guys in the gun trucks were a bit astonished.

Lt. Col. Robert K Brown was a visitor to our shores in the 70's. If I remember right, he was accompanied by a chap called Donovan. Robert actually endorsed my book, Battle for Cassinga that shows the above picture on the cover. The Cassinga raid was indeed quite a small attack group (367 paratroopers) against a fortified base containing 3 500 to 4 000 enemy. It was a box drop with three sides acting as stoppers and the fourth an attack group that swept through the base.
Planned to take only a couple of hours, it took the full day and ended on a high note when a column of Cuban armor arrived. This resulted in Cuba's highest single-day loss of the entire war. Quite a punch-up.