PDA

View Full Version : Uniformed Services University

ProudGSMom
08-06-2018, 21:35
Can anyone share information or experience with Uniformed Services University? There is a civilian track for a doctorate in clinical psychology that looks intriguing. It was recommended that I look into it, but not being prior service, I’d never heard of it and know nothing about the culture, reputation, etc.

ender18d
08-07-2018, 11:20
I am a bit biased but I feel I got an excellent medical education at USU and would recommend the MD program to anyone serious about caring for servicemen and women in harm's way. It is generally considered to be a solid, quality MD program. Happy to answer more info in PM or here.

I'll be honest the psychology program is off in its own world a bit, we only really interacted with students in that program during our final FTX, so I can't speak to how people there feel about that particular training. However, as an institution USU is excellent.

WarriorDiplomat
08-07-2018, 16:46
I am a bit biased but I feel I got an excellent medical education at USU and would recommend the MD program to anyone serious about caring for servicemen and women in harm's way. It is generally considered to be a solid, quality MD program. Happy to answer more info in PM or here.

I'll be honest the psychology program is off in its own world a bit, we only really interacted with students in that program during our final FTX, so I can't speak to how people there feel about that particular training. However, as an institution USU is excellent.

Isn't this for soldiers going into the medical world from enlisted or for medical professionals coming into the military world?

ender18d
08-07-2018, 17:13
Isn't this for soldiers going into the medical world from enlisted or for medical professionals coming into the military world?

Mostly yes, but there are a bunch of different programs including a civilian clinical psychology track. I am not sure exactly how it works, but there are definitely civilian students.

https://www.usuhs.edu/mps/applicants

There are also DNP programs for RNs (large programs) and a handful of other small research or clinical tracks.

Its an interesting place to learn medicine.

And if any of my medic brothers still haven't heard about it, the Enlisted-to-MD program is fantastic.

https://www.usuhs.edu/emdp2

ProudGSMom
08-07-2018, 23:44
ender and WD. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

I went back to college two years ago with the intent of earning a PhD. That was scary enough, being in a classroom as a student for the first time in 30 years. I’m gathering it is a really big deal to get accepted to USU, and even more so as a civilian. But, it will require me to move across the country, by myself, to one of the only places I don’t have people. If I get accepted, if I have the courage to try. On the other hand, nothing ventured, nothing gained, and the potential gain is more than I dared to dream.

ender18d
08-08-2018, 06:53
ender and WD. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

I went back to college two years ago with the intent of earning a PhD. That was scary enough, being in a classroom as a student for the first time in 30 years. I’m gathering it is a really big deal to get accepted to USU, and even more so as a civilian. But, it will require me to move across the country, by myself, to one of the only places I don’t have people. If I get accepted, if I have the courage to try. On the other hand, nothing ventured, nothing gained, and the potential gain is more than I dared to dream.

Whatever you decide good luck and message me if i can be of assistance. If you struggle to find a good POC let me know.