PDA

View Full Version : Saftey Briefing @ 1800

JJ_BPK
07-19-2018, 08:25
PSA: SGM says there will be a mandatory Saftey Briefing Friday at 1800 before any weekend passes are issued. :D

22 Soldiers Injured in California Military Base Tent Collapse
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/07/19/22-soldiers-injured-california-military-base-tent-collapse.html?ESRC=eb_180719.nl

mojaveman
07-19-2018, 09:57
I remember working with some CH-53s back in the day. Now that's some downwash!

Old Dog New Trick
07-19-2018, 10:05
On Monday morning there will be remedial tent peg pounding with wooden carnival hammers for all enlisted ranks.

miclo18d
07-19-2018, 17:21
When JRTC was at Ft Chaffee, we had a circus tent city set up to fly into a “non-permissive state” and back out to our “permissive” tent city.

It was the end of cycle and I got to leave a day prior to the rest of the battalion. That night a tornado swept through and hit the tent city. A friend of mine got 3 stitches. One guy told me he was bouncing down the road on his cot. The tent had collapsed on an entire company. No fatalities, but some injuries.

Tents, like trailer parks, are tornado magnets.

mark46th
07-21-2018, 08:16
I was acting as a downed pilot for the Jolly Greens out of NKP in 1973. They were training some new guys on spotting a downed pilot. The CH53 came in to a hover over my position and blew down a 10" branch. that landed next to my head. The exercise almost be came the real thing!. The down draft of a hovering CH53 is around 130 MPH.

Longstreet
07-21-2018, 08:51
A buddy of mine told me a story where he was riding on a helicopter that came a tad too close to camp. The downwash from the helicopter not only blew over tents, but actually launched some of the porta potties. He said there was crap everywhere and toilet paper flying around like comets. He also mentioned he had never seen so many over weight warrants move so fast.

jaYson

frostfire
07-21-2018, 13:18
Tents, like trailer parks, are tornado magnets.

I bet this happens more often than reported.
Last year at Bragg my unit practiced assembly/disassembly at the parking lot. All asphalt so no place for peg. Sunny clear blue sky. What could possibly go wrong.
I went inside to hydrate and heard a commotion. Went back out and one of the tents was halfway leaning on the roof!!! We were in disbelief. Two poor souls got banged up good since they were inside when it “took off.”

I still had to do a bunch of paperwork, but thank heavens it did not make it to social media, army times, military.com etc. Bunch of us would have been in deep dodoo