PDA

View Full Version : Just had a Special Forces buddy die of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease

Team Sergeant
07-02-2018, 10:20
Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, a very rare neurodegenerative disorder.

A long time friend just died of this horrible disease. He retired in 2003 after 23 years in Special Operations (Rangers/SF).

After doing a lot of reading, could it have been "Service related" ????

https://www.cdc.gov/prions/cjd/index.html

PedOncoDoc
07-02-2018, 10:43
Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, a very rare neurodegenerative disorder.

A long time friend just died of this horrible disease. He retired in 2003 after 23 years in Special Operations (Rangers/SF).

After doing a lot of reading, could it have been "Service related" ????

https://www.cdc.gov/prions/cjd/index.html

If it was Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (and not variant CJD) - it was likely a sporadic case for which attribution is very difficult. My wife used to be the associate director of the National Prior Disease Surveillance Center (https://case.edu/medicine/pathology/divisions/prion-center) - I'm sure the case is being reviewed carefully there.

My condolences for your loss.

Cynic
07-02-2018, 10:50
It is a terrible disease. Agree with above.
My condolences.

Eagle5US
07-02-2018, 13:30
Much too much death lately...from so many varied causes...Condolences for you on your friend.

JimP
07-02-2018, 18:03
spend any time in 10th Group in Europe? I have to "splain" every trip I went through Europe when I give blood. They are pretty sticklers about it.

Sdiver
07-02-2018, 18:55
TS ... my sincere condolences.

spend any time in 10th Group in Europe? I have to "splain" every trip I went through Europe when I give blood. They are pretty sticklers about it.

I was stationed in W. Germany Apr86-Jan88 ... I still can't or not allowed to.

Golf1echo
07-02-2018, 21:43
I'm sorry for your loss of a good friend TS and glad he is at peace. When we are younger we fill our lives with friends, places, and experiences. I too have lost many... As I get older it occurs to me they are not really lost but they are a part of me... I am certainly better for that.

Penn
07-03-2018, 04:21
TS, My sincere condolences for your loss.

Badger52
07-03-2018, 05:19
TS, very sorry for the loss of your friend. Golf1Echo put it well. Friends are with us forever.

Errata: I'll have to do more digging; not getting the Germany connection. I spent many years in the FRG & forays in DDR up till '77 and have never been asked to explain that particular thing at a blood drive (.mil or local civ).

JimP
07-03-2018, 05:42
TS - with what SDiver said, there may be a causal link to military service if he was stationed in Europe. I'll see if we have anyone here smart on that stuff.

Razor
07-03-2018, 06:51
Sorry to hear, brother.

PedOncoDoc
07-03-2018, 07:52
Variant CJD (the one associated with eating tainted meat) can be distinguished from sporadic CJD - if he was stationed in Europe and it is determined he suffered from vCJD, this certainly could be service related.

echoes
07-03-2018, 10:02
TS,

My sincerest condolences on the loss of your friend.

Holly

Sohei
07-03-2018, 17:04
Rest In Peace, Warrior and thank you for your service and sacrifices!

My sincerest condolences TS as well as to his family and friends.

The Reaper
07-03-2018, 18:43
RIP.

Sorry for your loss.

TR

Bleed Green
07-03-2018, 20:26
My deepest sympathies to you TS, all your friend's family, brothers, and the people he touched through his travels. You all will be in my thoughts and prayers.

ProudGSMom
07-03-2018, 21:14
TS- I am very sorry for your loss, one we all share when we lose a warrior. We are poorer as a nation each time.

I’m searching for an article I read a few months ago about CJD, and if I can find it I’ll post it here. I came across it and read it while researching other rare brain diseases and possible service connections, but because it wasn’t directly related to the research project I was working on, didn’t save or cite it. I’ve also reached out to someone who is very good and experienced in finding service connection to rare diseases.

I have a VSO who may be able to help, if you’d like to PM me, I’d be happy to connect you.

PSM
07-03-2018, 21:17
May your friend Rest in Peace, Jeff. Condolences to the family and friends.

Pat

Scimitar
07-04-2018, 01:20
I seem to recall a GB passing from CJD from eating tainted meat in A-stan, perhaps 3 or 4 years ago. I might be mistaken.

S

Team Sergeant
07-04-2018, 09:49
After much reading on CJD it looks like it would be a long shot to attribute his death as "service related". Thanks for the input, he just left way too soon. He was only 54.

ProudGSMom
07-04-2018, 10:42
TS - there is a lot of emerging research on CJD and other brain disorders and the dots are there...but...because CJD can be a spontaneous mutation in an individual with no possible exposure, the causal link is difficult to prove. What's more is a directive I found by the VA stating there is no causal link, in response to an American Red Cross release of info regarding possible CJD exposures to our military.

What I've found fascinating is other, promising, emerging research hypothesizing a causal link between TBI and a host of brain and CNS issues i.e., dementia, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, as well as CJD and other spongiform encephalitis-type diseases. Given the past decade and a half of war, given this enemy's preference for IED's, I fear an epidemic of these and other diseases in the futures of our combat veterans.

...and all of this matters not at all when the loss is so personal and the pain is fresh and raw. I am sorry for the loss of your brother, you have my deepest condolences. He, and you, as always have my grateful thanks for your service to us all.

exsquid
07-05-2018, 21:47
I am not in the medical field but my understanding of this disease is that if he was exposed during his service it would have killed him years ago. Google SSG James Alford from 5th Group for a really messy story regarding one of our own and what happened with him and his wife's struggle to correct the record. IIRC, he was exposed to tainted meat while doing a MTT in Yemen.

x/S

PSM
07-05-2018, 23:40
I am not in the medical field but my understanding of this disease is that if he was exposed during his service it would have killed him years ago. Google SSG James Alford from 5th Group for a really messy story regarding one of our own and what happened with him and his wife's struggle to correct the record. IIRC, he was exposed to tainted meat while doing a MTT in Yemen.

x/S

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20772&highlight=Alford

PRB
07-06-2018, 10:14
RIP, sorry Jeff.