PDA

View Full Version : Cigars, who's smoking what?

Team Sergeant
06-14-2018, 21:44
Getting back into Cigars.

Have tried a few and it's like trying to find a lost love. ;)

Anyone else partaking?

JJ_BPK
06-15-2018, 05:20
I have 1,2, or maybe 3 a week.

Size wise, I like Robusto (6x50) or Toro (6x52) and occasionally at a big party, a Churchhill (7x50).

A 6 inch lasts about 45+ minutes, so it's a comfortable afternoon smoke with 2-3 oz whisky, couple cubes of ice OR Vodka straight up (Tito or Grey Goose) which I keep in the freezer. Out on the patio watching my Hummingbirds. :lifter

Thinner than 50 ring smokes like a cigarette, larger ring, and I get concerned it looks gay. :D

Wraps: Connecticut
Filler: Nicaragua
Strength: mellow to medium full

Last purchase was a Sampler,

5 – Cohiba Red Dot Robusto (5” x 49)
5 – Man O’ War Armada (6.5” x 56)
5 – Rocky Patel Decade Robusto (5” x 50)
5 – Montecristo Churchill Extra (7.5” x 50)

Did I mention I'm cheap? Yes, I love Arturo Fuente, Ashton, Padron, or any of the top of the line. But I am not the type that throws a Jackson down for a smoke.

Conditionally, I will smoke anything I am offered, I'm easy :D

BUTT NOT THOSE FR(*K'n. infused cigars, like Drew Estate's ACID, That shiite is just wrong on all counts )*(&^( )&*^(&*^ (*&^&^)&* ^)&^)&)*(&* :mad:

Remington Raidr
06-15-2018, 06:05
Hoya de Monterrey Excalibur Prensado Oscuro in the maduro wrapper, box press.:D

tonyz
06-15-2018, 06:27
Padron has always been one of my favorite smokes - I seem to enjoy all of their products - never had a bad one if properly kept.

Monte Christo White series is a good mild smoke.

But, like many, I enjoy many types. La Finca (another Nicaraguan smoke) is an inexpensive smoke that has impressed. Hell, I’ve even smoked the cheap Parodi when working outside for weeks at a time ! I still have a few boxes of the Parodi Ammezzati 5 Toscano little turds in my humidor. But, I also have a few aged Cuban Cohiba’s in there too.

However, I have not had luck with CAO.

I agree with Hoya de Monterrey and most any Fuente.

Diamond Crown has been enjoyable.

Light ‘em up !

tazaygul
06-15-2018, 07:58
La Gloria Cubana...Serie R...No 5 are my all time favorites. Real robust smoke. Tad on the pricey side though.

theis223
06-15-2018, 10:27
CAO Mx2, wrapper and filler are Maduro. This is my go-to in the boat

CAO Lx2, double ligero. <--sum bitch it TASTY

Liga Privada T-52. If you can find them, dont tell people where you got em. They never stay in stock.

And for the special occasions, Diamond Crown Maximus in churchill size.

If any of you have a bottle of Pappy's or Weller's laying around, any of these sticks pairs wonderfully well with these whiskies.

adal
06-15-2018, 17:33
Padron. I've tried the others, but for consistency, they are the ones for me. Plus I get them fairly cheap locally. :)

Dean Jarvis
06-15-2018, 18:28
Romeo Y Julieta Reserva Real Toro 54x6. Very mild. Been smoking them for years.

http://bonitasmokeshop.com/premium-cigars/

Penn
06-15-2018, 21:42
https://www.famous-smoke.com/brandgroup/avo+cigars ( this company a good resource) If you get to Miami, in little cuba there area number of shops the will hand roll custom stogies for you, and then ship to you as needed.

I was an AVO fan, until the triple by-pass. Love the aroma of a good cigar. AVO are imoo, a rich, not hot smoke, great with a good scotch.

Team Sergeant
06-16-2018, 19:57
Well I've tried Punch Rare Corojo , Cohiba Red Dot, La Aroma de Cuba and a few others. So far these three I really enjoyed. Will keep testing...... ;)

exsquid
06-17-2018, 19:17
Years ago I enjoyed robusto sized maduros of various brands. Don't really do cigars anymore. I enjoy pipe smoking more now than cigars. Must be an 18C thing. Pappy was always smoking when I went through MOS phase and I know Adam at the committee enjoys pipe smoking as well.

x/S

hardcorps
06-21-2018, 10:14
For me, nothing's better than a genuine Cubano-rolled Montecristo #2 (Torpedo). I've mostly curtailed my cigar smoking (for health reasons), but if I'm in a foreign country Duty-Free store, I will pick up a Montecristo 3-pack, and happily smoke them when I'm back in the USA.

rubberneck
06-21-2018, 11:05
It’s been 20 years since I smoked cigars religiously but back then it was Padron and Cohiba exclusively for special occasions and Uppman for casual use with a glass of Macallan of Hibiki.

PedOncoDoc
06-26-2018, 08:39
I enjoy a good stick from time to time - A Fuente, Don Pepin and Kristoffs are all consistent and excellent. I'm also a fan of Oliva Serie V and Special Blends (1 or 3, not 2) if I can find them and Leaf by Oscar.

If I'm in the mood for something new, I usually look for something in a ligero/double ligero, oscura or San Andres.

If you are looking to support a Veteran owned/operated company, Southern Draw makes some good cigars if you can find them - a list of retailers that carry them can be found on their website.

rsdengler
06-26-2018, 09:08
LOL...That reminds me of a time in the 90's when my best friend and I would visit this bar called Cancun Cantina for Happy Hour. We would always go by the counter that sold Cigars and pick out a few of the nice, thin vanilla flavored ones. We would just light up and take a few puffs and walk around with it dangling from our fingers. Not sure what the name was, but they were nice and mellow. Plus, we really looked cool...LOL...:D

Badger52
06-26-2018, 11:59
If you are looking to support a Veteran owned/operated company, Southern Draw makes some good cigars if you can find them - a list of retailers that carry them can be found on their website.Thanks for that; they have some online folks that will take care of you as well. Am going to pickup several of their Rose of Sharon Lanceros to hand out for the upcoming annual FOG gathering. Gets good reviews as one for someone not regularly into them, or who might be getting back into cigars, with very good flavor but nothing in your face & about a $9-10 price point.

PedOncoDoc
06-26-2018, 13:01
Thanks for that; they have some online folks that will take care of you as well. Am going to pickup several of their Rose of Sharon Lanceros to hand out for the upcoming annual FOG gathering. Gets good reviews as one for someone not regularly into them, or who might be getting back into cigars, with very good flavor but nothing in your face & about a $9-10 price point.

They were a bit light for my taste and I was disappointed after seeing some positive reviews, too. I liked the Firethorns and Kudzus, and would be open to trying the others.

Badger52
06-26-2018, 14:54
They were a bit light for my taste and I was disappointed after seeing some positive reviews, too. I liked the Firethorns and Kudzus, and would be open to trying the others.Thanks for that as well. No one around this fire circle are cigar people - but it has a long-but-good day ceremonial bent to it almost. Maybe I'll get a few in a sampler of some kind & we'll pass 'em around since I don't know enough to know what I don't know.
:D

cbtengr
06-26-2018, 18:11
So no one here is into Roi Tan, White Owl and Swisher Sweets? :D

tonyz
06-26-2018, 18:19
So no one here is into Roi Tan, White Owl and Swisher Sweets? :D

I’ve had to burn a Backwoods, White Owl and Swisher on the road. But, that was many, many moons ago. I would not recommend them except when that is only what’s available. Otherwise, Padron all day...any day.