PDA

View Full Version : Ranger School Before SFAS?

Gusto16
06-13-2018, 16:50
I just want to start this off by saying if this is not a good question to ask or it should not be asked, just say the word and I will delete it. The last thing I want to do is get off on the wrong foot. Anyways Im currently in the 82nd ABN DIV as an 11b , 19 years of age and am looking for some advice from then men who would know best. In the next 1- 2 years I would like to attend SFAS , thats my goal and I am preparing now. The thing is that I could go to Ranger School almost whenever I want , assuming I pass SURT. So my question is do you think it is smart to go to Ranger School first and then go to SFAS. Or solely focus on preparing mentally and physically for SFAS? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a good day.

Wake27
06-13-2018, 17:21
ETA - just realized this fell under the SF Questions subforum so I shouldn't have responded. Disregard.

Basenshukai
06-13-2018, 17:41
Wake27 is correct.

If you have the opportunity to attend the Ranger Course, go ahead and do so. Getting through the Ranger Course will equip you with some important qualities and characteristics that will certainly enhance your preparation - and performance - in SFAS.

If you are on schedule for SFAS (have a class date), I would recommend you focus on this instead. However, if it is open-ended for you (no SFAS class date lined-up), go for the Ranger Course. Whether you get selected at SFAS or not at a later date, you'll be a more capable soldier with that Ranger Course experience.

Peregrino
06-14-2018, 07:11
Wake27 is correct.

If you have the opportunity to attend the Ranger Course, go ahead and do so. Getting through the Ranger Course will equip you with some important qualities and characteristics that will certainly enhance your preparation - and performance - in SFAS.

If you are on schedule for SFAS (have a class date), I would recommend you focus on this instead. However, if it is open-ended for you (no SFAS class date lined-up), go for the Ranger Course. Whether you get selected at SFAS or not at a later date, you'll be a more capable soldier with that Ranger Course experience.

Concur.

TrapperFrank
06-14-2018, 08:49
Get your mind right and do Ranger School first.

Gusto16
06-14-2018, 09:24
Thank you all for your answers. I appreciate it greatly. I will be dropping a Ranger school packet shortly.

exsquid
06-14-2018, 14:15
The last thing Group needs is another 21yo with zero real world experience or skills. The only thing you should be worried about is being a good soldier with a solid skill base and some real leadership time. The Deuce cares about two things leadership wise, a Ranger tab and being a Jumpmaster. Do those two things because that is what is expected at your unit and because it will help you out in the long run whether you stay CMOS 11 or come over to CMOS 18. After you make E5 and have put in some leadership time, then go to SFAS. Here is a piece of advice though, never ever mention you want to go to SFAS until you are completely ready and are handing in the paperwork to do so. The Big Army, 1SGs and CSMs especially, don't look favorably on those who, "think they are better than everybody else." I hate that guys who think their path in life is the only way to go but unfortunately that is a fact of life in the Army.

x/S

Astronomy
06-16-2018, 20:21
Reinforcing collective wisdom... definitely go to Ranger School before SFAS. Naturally, with a generous physical recovery/trainup period between the two. You need to be at the peak of your physical game for both.

You'll find that having met the challenge of Hooah School goes a long way towards mentally mastering that later SF challenge. Different places, but similar conditioning, fortitude, teamwork, and no-quit attitude required. It won't make SFAS easier, but it also won't be your first gut-check rodeo.

Attempt SF after you've got some Junior NCO Troop Leading Time under your belt. That deeper well of experience will pay off later.