PDA

View Full Version : Boy Scouts of America ending after 108 years

bblhead672
05-03-2018, 09:49
Boy Scouts to change name, drop 'Boy' and accept girls in 2019, organization says (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/02/boy-scouts-to-change-name-drop-boy-and-accept-girls-in-2019-organization-says.html)

After 108 years, the Boy Scouts program is set to drop the gender from its name and re-emerge as "Scouts BSA," a more "inclusive" group that will also soon welcome girls in its ranks.
Boy Scout leaders have cited busy and diverse families as a reason to make the change. They said they hoped the switch would give parents more options. The Boy Scouts began offering co-ed programs in 1971. Leaders have said participation has been at 2.3 million – down from 2.6 million in 2013.

Another American institution bows to progressive agenda and political correctness.
I hope their number continues to fall until it is necessary to either close down the organization or throw out all the progressive idiots who want to destroy males.

Streck-Fu
05-03-2018, 10:10
Another American institution bows to progressive agenda and political correctness.

We left Scouts a couple years ago at the Cub Scout pack level and never ventured into Boy Scouts. This was right about the same time they announced they were permitting gay scouts to remain.

Our decision to leave was not related to that policy, rather, the national and council levels of professional scout leaders were only concerned about two things, recruiting and fund raising. Bot were oppressive.

The local leaders were mostly pretty good and tried to run the best program that they could but when new scout parents try to get used to the program and jump right into popcorn sales only to be blasted with Friends Of Scouts fundraising, it becomes too much about the money.

Our Council insisted on doing a big sales pitch for the Friends of Scouting that took half of one meeting. Most parents were still trying to figure what they had to pay for after popcorn sales when they had to digest that 70% goes to the council.

"You said the program is $150 this year and Jimmy sold $220 worth."

"With that $220 is sales, you get $66 dollars credit to the program so you still owe $84. Oh, please fill out this Friends of Scouting donation card. 100% participation is required."

"Fuck off......"

However, this may still be a better alternative to the Girl Scouts of America, especially for girls that do not consider an abortion to be a life goal.

Silver Eagle
05-03-2018, 10:51
Ok, Boy Scouts of America is not changing its name. Cub scouts (K-5 grade) will still be called Cub Scouts.Ventures ( ages 14-21 and coed ) will still be called Venntures. Explorere ( ages 14-21 and coed ) will still be called Explorers. The only change is boys and girls age 11-18 will be called Scouts BSA instead of Boy Scouts.

As it stands right now is girls that join Cub Scouts will be in seperate dens than the boys with atleast one female leader. Girls joining Scouts BSA will be in all female troop with atleast one female leader. So you will have a male troop and a female troop. Ventures and Explorers are coed.

Streck-fu I am sorry you had a bad experience. Local Councils are self funded by Friends of Souting, Popcorn sale, United Way or other like programs and other fundraisers. Popcorn is divided 33% to the popcorn company, 33% council and 33% to the unit or youth. Which is beeter than selling cookies.

PSM
05-03-2018, 11:24
Girls joining Scouts BSA will be in all female troop...

For now.

PedOncoDoc
05-03-2018, 11:28
I dunno - perhaps coed overnight excursions could be an opportunity for some new merit badges...

Silver Eagle
05-03-2018, 11:44
PSM you're right, for now there will be all girl troops. I ask what is the differnce between a coed Venture crew and a coed Scouting BSA troop.

A coed Venture has to have coed adult leadership. The boys and girls do not share sleeping quarters. All BSA camps are going to single stall toilet and shower facilities so boys and girls do not share gang showers or gang toilets. Think about this, Who thought of putting 14-21 boys and girls together when their hormones are raging was a good idea.

Eagle5US
05-03-2018, 11:55
My dad left Scouting after 36 years as a leader. With me through Cub Scouts, Webelos, And Boy Scouts. Senior Council member, Committee Chair, three time recipient of the Silver Beaver award, was an OA leader, on and on and on....

Same issues as mentioned above -
money money money first / politics politics politics second / parents parents parents third...Scouts? DEAD LAST.

It was a shame watching the transformation...Lord Baden Powell is rolling in his grave.

bblhead672
05-03-2018, 12:39
All BSA camps are going to single stall toilet and shower facilities so boys and girls do not share gang showers or gang toilets..

Sounds like the former Boy Scouts is going to need to sell a lot of popcorn to fund their diversity project. Separate sleeping quarters, showers and toilets. Will they be allowing gender benders to choose which facilities to use?

rsdengler
05-03-2018, 12:48
I dunno - perhaps coed overnight excursions could be an opportunity for some new merit badges...

LOL...And close behind the "Me Too Movement" will be parading around complaining about sexual harassment/assault/and misconduct against the "male" scouts of the "New" BSA....:p

Silver Eagle
05-03-2018, 13:35
Will they be allowing gender benders to choose which facilities to use?

Not that it really matters.

The single stall toilet or shower is unisex.

Did you ever think what it cost to operate a scout camp.

Old Dog New Trick
05-03-2018, 14:11
“Meatballs” part two!

^^^Silver Eagle- however much it used to cost to run a Scout Camp or Jamboree? The costs just became astronomical and wait for the lawsuits to settle the rape accusations.

Anyway so it was for 108-years BSA = Boy Scouts of America. Now it’s “Scouts BSA” what does BSA stand for? (Boy Scouts of America?)

WarriorDiplomat
05-03-2018, 15:58

Not sure how many I would get but I would work extra hard for those merit badges LOL

(1VB)compforce
05-03-2018, 16:04
Silver Beaver award...

There's your new merit badge right there :D

Badger52
05-03-2018, 17:35
My view only, maybe, but I think the issue isn't the marketing or moniker. The fact, to me, is that it's a continuation - another small piece in the ounces make pounds column - of the blender strategy (set on puree) of what have been fairly successful roles for genders, both functionally & culturally.

This is not about equality in achievement or pay or denial/preference of goals. But there are roles in a civil society that are successfully played by one gender or the other, because one or the other is simply better at it - shown over the span of a very long time. Applies equally whether it's nurturing (which has already diminished because many women simply don't have it because of #MeMeMe) or strength & predatory instincts taught (which is vaporizing fast because so many young men don't... well, they just won't get off the couch and what self-respecting female wants to breed with that...).

It may thrive & probably will because no one will draw a line, but a society is denigrated as a result when they lose the identity that helps them hold onto values that would sustain them.

I'll do my own popcorn & have bought my last shortbread from the grand-daughter. Again, just my $.02, adjusted for the Drachma.

On the bright side, now I only have to remember BSA as being Birmingham Small Arms and how much I miss my 441 Victor Special.
Now get off my lawn.
:munchin

Peregrino
05-03-2018, 18:22
As a former Eagle Scout my only comment is that I didn't leave the Boy Scouts; they left me. Simply put, I can no longer support what they have become.

The Reaper
05-03-2018, 19:20
The Scouts have fallen for the fallacy that is sweeping the country, essentially, that boys and girls are exactly the same.

TR

Box
05-03-2018, 21:10
...but I have seen it in the movies

girls can do anything boys can do

Requiem
05-03-2018, 22:57

In the movies, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards and in high heels. :p

In real life, it's not that way, but there are those who want to think so.

It's a shame that boys don't have a place to be boys anymore, whether that's in the Boy Scouts, the army, boys' schools, sports teams, or wherever.

S.

Dean Jarvis
05-04-2018, 06:25
I'll never forget the first day of class in phase II. Our instructor walked up to the chalkboard and wrote his name: Tramell. Then he said that stood for Toughest, Roughest And Meanest Motherfucker that Ever Lived and Loved.

Then he asked our 12B class of about 15, how many are Eagle Scouts, and over half raised their hands, me included. He said he was a scoutmaster and observed that there was a quality about kids that achieved the rank of Eagle Scouts that attracted them to want to achieve the status of a GB.

The Scouting program today is so convoluted I'm thinking about returning my Eagle award in protest.

Badger52
05-04-2018, 09:04
The Scouting program today is so convoluted I'm thinking about returning my Eagle award in protest.Horsehockey; you earned it during the era you earned it.

Stroll down memory lane. (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22744&highlight=Boy+Scouts)

mojaveman
05-04-2018, 12:21

The "Joy Scouts" ? :D

exsquid
05-04-2018, 21:00
I remember hearing about this being discussed a while back. As I remember it, the BSA was basically saying they had to consider expanding their base because the ranks were depleting (let's face it, young kids want to sit in front of a TV and not a camp fire) and that the money was running thin. Basically they said, the Girl Scouts made so much money off of cookies that they never needed to worry about overall numbers because the money would always keep coming in. I also remember hearing the Girls Scouts grumbling that the BSA was trying to lure away their constituency. I am not sure I think this part of a grand scheme to effeminize boys despite the fact that our culture is trying to do so.

x/S

JJ_BPK
05-05-2018, 15:15
My $00.0002

Lots of shit going around about the BSA opening up to females. 95% of you are betting the by the end of summer there will be a couple hundred thousand preggy scouts after summer camp..

My girls could have whipped ass in field skills, hunting, shooting, land nav if they had a chance 30yrs ago. Because I provided the opportunity to learn the needed skills.

If you look at the Scout badges, I think there are 130+..
There is not one badge that is sex specific.
There is no biggest dick badge
There is no biggest tits badge

AND every badge has just about the same requirements.

Now if BSA sets limits, like 100 push-up in 2 minutes, but that's not what the BSA does.

The Foundation of Scouting

Scout Oath: On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and MORALLY STRAIGHT.

Scout Law: A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

Scout Mission: The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to PREPARE YOUNG PEOPLE TO MAKE ETHICAL AND MORAL CHOICES over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Scout Law.

We are talking about kids,, being good Scouts, supervised by good parents.

NOT the thining out the weak and unprepared in the Q course..

:munchin

Joker
05-05-2018, 15:59
That is a big change of the Merit Badges of the '70s.

TrapperFrank
05-06-2018, 14:56
Males still join the Boy Scouts these days? Speaking as an Eagle Scout, last I looked, the BSA was a pussified, politically correct program. They no longer get my money.

Team Sergeant
05-06-2018, 16:04

Egg-zactly......

There's not a movie or television show made in the last couple of years that does not depict women/females/weaker gender as "warriors"........ equal to men in every "physical" respect.

Joseph Goebbels, would be proud of our "media" industry. The scouts, not so much. I quit buying girl scout cookies long ago.

GratefulCitizen
05-06-2018, 16:21
Send a bunch of young women and young men on overnight trips together who have merit badges in tying knots.
What could go wrong?

Streck-Fu
05-07-2018, 05:29

I blame Irvin Berlin and Annie Get Your Gun...

"Anything you can do I can do better..."

Insert "Squid that quotes musicals" jokes here....:p

PSM
05-24-2018, 11:06
Boy Scouts to provide condoms at upcoming World Jamboree

By Bradford Richardson - The Washington Times - Tuesday, May 22, 2018

The Boy Scouts will reportedly provide condoms at the upcoming World Scout Jamboree.

The World Organization of Scouting Movement handbook requires the host organization to “ensure that condoms are readily and easily accessible for all participants and [International Service Team staff] at a number of locations on the site.”

The 2019 World Scout Jamboree will be held in West Virginia from July 21 to Aug. 1. The theme is “Unlock a New World.”

The World Jamboree is an official World Organization of the Scout Movement event. The Boy Scouts are co-hosting this year’s program with two other scouting organizations, Scouts Canada and the Scouts Association of Mexico.

Andy Chapman, vice chairperson of the World Scout Committee, said the co-hosts are working to implement requirements previously laid out by the World Organization of the Scout Movement.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/may/22/boy-scouts-require-condoms-upcoming-world-jamboree/

When does the backlash start?

Old Dog New Trick
05-24-2018, 14:24

Well, that’s leaning forward in the foxhole! :D

EricV
05-24-2018, 15:06

How 'bout this... In the name of equality, I demand girl scouts get birth control pills. Or morning after pills.

Not the back lash your looking for?? :munchin

cbtengr
05-24-2018, 15:59
How 'bout this... In the name of equality, I demand girl scouts get birth control pills. Or morning after pills.

Not the back lash your looking for?? :munchin

So you are assuming this is just for the boy girl stuff? "For all participants and International Service Team Staff", pretty progressive organization.

ccrn
06-05-2018, 12:36
I think these days with all the fascist PC emotions flowing, that its best just to get together with some like minded friends in the area to go camping or teach your kid rock climbing or something like that.

With all the rock climbing, crossfit, MMA, adventure racing, IDPA/USPSA, orienteering clubs, so on and so forth, its not really necessary to join the scouts to get your kids outside. And if they arent going to teach the values and ethics that they used to, whats the point?

A female single parent may wish to put her son in scouts in order for him to be around men but if she needs to worry about pedophiles and political correctness as well as being forced into a fundraising scheme that only contributes 1/3 to her kid, Im guessing shes going to give them the middle finger. If she perceives scouting to no longer be a male centric organization providing growth experiences for boys, she might be much less likely to participate.

Sometimes these organizations get too focused on growth as well as perceiving any amount of contraction to be synonymous with failure. I think thats a mistake. The important thing to focus on is long-term survival even if it does mean some contraction or consolidation. Some conservative organizations are finding that if they stick to their values and mission, they continue to attract people seeking an alternative to the mainstream. I think boy scouts is that as well as a way for busy parents to get their boys involved when they dont have the means. They are essentially cutting their own throats by changing their entire identity.

exsquid
06-05-2018, 14:59
The Boy Scouts cut off their nose to spite their face by turning the Mormons against them. LDS membership in the Scouts account for almost 1/5 of their membership and now that they are leaving, the Scouts have to make up even more for their dwindling membership and financial support.

x/S

WarriorDiplomat
06-05-2018, 20:29
The Boy Scouts cut off their nose to spite their face by turning the Mormons against them. LDS membership in the Scouts account for almost 1/5 of their membership and now that they are leaving, the Scouts have to make up even more for their dwindling membership and financial support.

x/S

I was a scout master for eagle scouts we had quite a few boys(young men) in their about 10 years ago but I can't feel bad for the organization they did it to themselves no matter what they say this was an Obama era SJW influenced action......the degeneration started years ago but the idea that a boys club to making better men should become a co-ed club is ludicrous to say the least.....getting badges for sexual escapades was never on the agenda so what else were these idiots hoping to accomplish.....to think at one time the boy scouts were considered a boys branch of the military and the military gave instant promotions when joining for eagle scouts just because of their advanced knowledge in survival, camping, tracking, hunting and leadership. I knew the girl scouts were sucking when parents started setting up tables at Walmart instead of the value a kid learns from competition, hard work, door to door face to face relationship building and responsibility you solid citizen character traits. I loved making the leather belts, building and racing the wooden cars, hell I remember making stilts and hammering nails in the scouts I enjoyed it more teaching my son and watching his car lose well 3rd place in the derby LOL the best part of scouts was the camaraderie and the common goal of achievement as a troop and not individuals you felt like you belonged to something bigger than yourself it was ingenious the way it was designed. NO the Social(ridiculous modifier)Justice Warrior invaded the ranks of a good thing and has created irreconcilable riffs between the values and teachings of christian religious institutions that historically sponsor them and SJW's. You do not need to be a socially active person to recognize the polar differences between these istitutional values....yet another attempt for leftist to seize influence over the youth of America that they depend on for votes

ccrn
06-10-2018, 16:49
I was a scout master for eagle scouts we had quite a few boys(young men) in their about 10 years ago but I can't feel bad for the organization they did it to themselves no matter what they say this was an Obama era SJW influenced action......the degeneration started years ago but the idea that a boys club to making better men should become a co-ed club is ludicrous to say the least.....getting badges for sexual escapades was never on the agenda so what else were these idiots hoping to accomplish.....to think at one time the boy scouts were considered a boys branch of the military and the military gave instant promotions when joining for eagle scouts just because of their advanced knowledge in survival, camping, tracking, hunting and leadership. I knew the girl scouts were sucking when parents started setting up tables at Walmart instead of the value a kid learns from competition, hard work, door to door face to face relationship building and responsibility you solid citizen character traits. I loved making the leather belts, building and racing the wooden cars, hell I remember making stilts and hammering nails in the scouts I enjoyed it more teaching my son and watching his car lose well 3rd place in the derby LOL the best part of scouts was the camaraderie and the common goal of achievement as a troop and not individuals you felt like you belonged to something bigger than yourself it was ingenious the way it was designed. NO the Social(ridiculous modifier)Justice Warrior invaded the ranks of a good thing and has created irreconcilable riffs between the values and teachings of christian religious institutions that historically sponsor them and SJW's. You do not need to be a socially active person to recognize the polar differences between these istitutional values....yet another attempt for leftist to seize influence over the youth of America that they depend on for votes

It really has become a war. Its like an invasion of never ceasing corrosive, corrupting pressure.

Considering most societies have been ruled including most of Europe, and that half of America seems to be eager to reattempt the communist experiment, that means only 100 million people stand in the way of that happening. And it may only be a fraction of them who have the will to stand up.

Frightening.....

PSM
12-13-2018, 11:53
WSJ: Boy Scouts may file for bankruptcy

CNN) The Boy Scouts of America is considering filing for bankruptcy, the Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday.

Boy Scouts leadership has hired the law firm Sidley Austin LLP for possible chapter 11 bankruptcy filing assistance, people familiar with the matter told the Wall Street Journal.

According to the newspaper, filing for bankruptcy would halt the many lawsuits the organization faces alleging inappropriate conduct by employees.

In a statement released Wednesday "in anticipation of news reports that will speculate about the BSA's financial position," the Boy Scouts said no immediate decisions are expected.

"We are working with experts to explore all options available to ensure that the local and national programming of the Boy Scout of America continues uninterrupted," Michael Surbaugh, chief scout executive, said in the statement.

"We have an important duty, and an incredible opportunity, to focus as an organization on keeping children safe, supported and protected, and preparing youth for their futures through our nation's foremost program of character development and values-based leadership training."

The statement acknowledged legal costs related to lawsuits against BSA alleging sexual or inappropriate conduct with boys.

"We believe (victims), we believe in fairly compensating them and we have paid for unlimited counseling, by a provider of their choice, regardless of the amount of time that has passed since an instance of abuse," the statement said.

CNN's Chris Boyette contributed to this report.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/13/us/boy-scouts-possible-bankruptcy/index.html

bblhead672
12-13-2018, 17:08
WSJ: Boy Scouts may file for bankruptcy

If only the Scouts BSA organization had the financial resources of the Vatican....

Noah Werka
12-15-2018, 18:20
Their motto is, as you know, „Be Prepared!" and that is
the name of this song. It may be more fitting to the Boy Scouts now than when it was written in 1953. :D

Be Prepared! (https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Be+Prepared-tom+lerher&t=ffsb&ia=videos)...(first video)

Be prepared! That's the boy scout's marching song,
Be prepared! As through life you march along.
Be prepared to hold your liquor pretty well,
Don't write naughty words on walls if you can't spell.

Be prepared! To hide that pack of cigarettes,
Don't make book if you cannot cover bets.
Keep those reefers hidden where you're sure
That they will not be found
And be careful not to smoke them
When the scoutmaster's around
For he only will insist that it be shared.
Be prepared!

Be prepared! That's the boy scouts' solemn creed,
Be prepared! And be clean in word and deed.
Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice,
Unless you get a good percentage of her price.

Be prepared! And be careful not to do
Your good deeds when there's no one watching you.
If you're looking for adventure of a
New and different kind,
And you come across a girl scout who is
Similarly inclined,
Don't be nervous, don't be flustered, don't be scared.
Be prepared!

Noah W

Old Dog New Trick
10-31-2019, 15:08
Boy Scouts of America’s demise is coming quickly now...

Boy Scouts to boost annual youth fees by more than 80%

Apparently the cost of raping little boys (and girls) has made insurance quite expensive.

Box
10-31-2019, 16:26
......and starting in August of 2020 the local chapters can start charging their own fee in addition to the national program fee. I reckon the cost of background checks and liability insurance kick up a notch or three when you decide to let the little boys and little girls go camping together

Not tht I am the least bit surprised - waaaay back in the 1990's I got stuck on a couple of red cycle taskings to do mod-demo at BSA events. Based on the weirdos that I interacted with during the international boy scout jamboree - there is no way on hell's half-acre my children would get within a country mile of these freaks.
Not to mention the fact that I'd beat my adult children if they let my grandkids near this shit show

The America that I learned about as a kid is dying. In fact - if America was a horse my great uncle would probably just shoot it.