PDA

View Full Version : Lunch time

Kyobanim
01-25-2005, 17:42
This was taken by a helicopter flying over Lake George ! (For those of you who are not local, this is Lake George in Ocala, FL.) Guess the deer wasn't so lucky that day.

Team Sergeant
01-25-2005, 20:13
Guess the deer wasn't so lucky that day.

No, but the gator was!!!!

Big Mo FO!!!

CPTAUSRET
01-25-2005, 20:45
I was flying a Cobra out of Hunter Stewart one day low levelling down the river and I flew over a large tree floating upstream, I swung around for a better look and saw a big a** Gator. I did not want an engine malfunction over that river!

Terry

Sacamuelas
01-25-2005, 21:52
While I admit wanting NO part of a gator, sometimes they are just a mandatory part of the natural scenery. There is a 6-7 ft gator that almost always comes to "play" with us when we wade fish for speckled trout off Cat Island. Trust me, it is hard to get any more anxious when simply fishing than when you are wading waste deep in water, a 7 ft gator is between you and the boat, and you have 10-15 bleeding and slowly dying speckled trout tied to your body on a 10 foot rope acting as chum. I understand what you were anxious about CPT.

BTW, you gotta be "tuff" to fish with Saca.... :D

CPTAUSRET
01-25-2005, 22:01
While I admit wanting NO part of a gator, sometimes they are just a mandatory part of the natural scenery. There is a 6-7 ft gator that almost always comes to "play" with us when we wade fish for speckled trout off Cat Island. Trust me, it is hard to get any more anxious when simply fishing than when you are wading waste deep in water, a 7 ft gator is between you and the boat, and you have 10-15 bleeding and slowly dying speckled trout tied to your body on a 10 foot rope acting as chum. I understand what you were anxious about CPT.

That's cute! :cool:

Sacamuelas
01-25-2005, 22:05
Its not real cute at the time... trust me. It has become routine though. "Cute" is probably watching my sorry A$$ standing ready with needle nose pliars in one hand and a 6.5' rod at the ready in the other when that sucker comes a little to close for comfort. :D Same stands true for sharks.

12B4S
01-25-2005, 22:42
My brother lives on a golf course in Ft Meyrs. Played it alot years ago. Back then they had a pretty decent gator population. They have in the past decade removed the big guys, but it's an ongoing project. Wasn't unusual to watch the ball sail toward a waterhole :mad: Once in awhile you'd spot it within 10 or so yards of some sun basking gator. Back then, some of those guys were bigggg. Damn, I figured it was good cause I didn't go in the water, just had to deal with the critter. Made up a slowish, testing type deal and was always able to take the next shot. Talk about concentration over the ball. :D
Being in the water is an adrenaline pump as well. Got to play that game.

Huey14
01-25-2005, 22:47
Anyone tried 'Gator?

I'm curious as to the taste.

12B4S
01-25-2005, 23:07
I havn't, but bet it tastes like chicken. :munchin

Air.177
01-25-2005, 23:23
"Cute" is probably watching my sorry A$$ standing ready with needle nose pliars in one hand and a 6.5' rod at the ready in the other when that sucker comes a little to close for comfort. :D Same stands true for sharks.

Needle nose Pliars and a 6.5' rod?? WTF??

this sounds like basic failure in Planning.

Round here, we wouldn't consider doing anything like that without at least a model 29 on, preferably a long gun too.

Roguish Lawyer
01-25-2005, 23:36
and you have 10-15 bleeding and slowly dying speckled trout tied to your body

Uh huh . . .

SlimTexan
01-25-2005, 23:50
Anyone tried 'Gator?

The Old Alligator Grill, here in Austin, serves it as an appetizer(sp?). It's not exactly fresh, so that could make some difference. But I would say, it tastes like barnyard chicken. Not quite like the cheap supermarket chicken.

Smokin Joe
01-26-2005, 02:06
Anyone tried 'Gator?

I concur with SlimTexan, it taste like chicken, tough, chewy, chicken.

Huey14
01-26-2005, 02:10
Interesting. I would have thought it would be more like pork. I may have to try it if I ever get to the States.

Kyobanim
01-26-2005, 04:07

Why in the hell would you get out of a perfectly good boat to wade in water to fish when you can fish just as good from the boat? There's something wrong with that.

Huey14
01-26-2005, 04:19
I would like to add: Why sail a boat into waters so shallow you can wade in them? Seems like tempting fate to me.

Yaaarrr (for good measure).

Jack Moroney (RIP)
01-26-2005, 06:36
When I got to the Florida Phase of Ranger School we were really beat. We had a three day movement thru the swamps to hit the target they set up for us. Most of us were halcucinating we were so damn tired from wading in chest deep water trying to avoid sink holes and water moccassins. My Ranger buddy was a Thai officer and was going on just sheer determination. He tapped me on the back every now and then and told me what he thought he was seeing. I kept on telling him he was just tired and to focus on the two little reflective tapes pieces sewn into my cap. Finally he told me that I needed to see the train that was following him. I turned around and the "train" was a curious gator.

Jack Moroney

Sacamuelas
01-26-2005, 07:41
Uh huh . . .

On my honor, yer honor. You have been fishing before haven't you ? The stringer is what we keep our caught fish on while wading. I use a piece of nylon with a large foam float at the end. You run it thourhg their mouth and then tie the end of the line on your belt. Where else would I keep the fish? Damn LA city boys :rolleyes: LOL

Air-
Cat Island is a barrier island in the Gulf. I prefer to not have my sidearms strapped to my side rusting whiile I wade fish in salt water. If you are willing to offer one of your bullet launchers, I will gladly strap it to my side. :D Your right about one thing... my rod and hook remover wouldn't do much if it ever called my bluff.

Sacamuelas
01-26-2005, 08:11
Why in the hell would you get out of a perfectly good boat to wade in water to fish when you can fish just as good from the boat? There's something wrong with that.

You can't fish "in" a boat in some of the places I fish. In other places like Delacroix, we do fish in a boat. IMO, wade fishing at daybreak when the water is like glass is the best... everyone can spread out, creep up on them and do their own thing.

Damn... now I have to sit at work today and be miserable while wishin' I was fishin'. :boohoo

lrd
01-26-2005, 08:54
You can't fish "in" a boat in some of the places I fish. In other places like Delacroix, we do fish in a boat. IMO, wade fishing at daybreak when the water is like glass is the best... everyone can spread out, creep up on them and do their own thing.

Damn... now I have to sit at work today and be miserable while wishin' I was fishin'. :boohoo
I carry one of Mr. Harsey's finest with me when I fish. It could probably handle that alligator all by itself with it's lumberjack genes. :D

Razor
01-26-2005, 11:03
Most of us were halcucinating we were so damn tired from wading in chest deep water trying to avoid sink holes and water moccassins.

Don't forget the damnit stumps!

Razor
01-26-2005, 11:05
Air-
Cat Island is a barrier island in the Gulf. I prefer to not have my sidearms strapped to my side rusting whiile I wade fish in salt water.

Chest holster? Stainless finish? Post-fishing weapons maintenance? ;)

Team Sergeant
01-26-2005, 11:14
On my honor, yer honor. You have been fishing before haven't you ? The stringer is what we keep our caught fish on while wading. I use a piece of nylon with a large foam float at the end. You run it thourhg their mouth and then tie the end of the line on your belt. Where else would I keep the fish? Damn LA city boys :rolleyes: LOL

City boy is right....

Next time take an empty plastic gallon jug and tie your stringer to it, let it "float" 20-30 feet from you. You're just one more fishing trip from becoming a statistic.
TS
(Country Boy combined with Common Sense)

(Note to self, no grizzly bear hunting with the Tooth Fairy.)

Roguish Lawyer
01-26-2005, 11:48
I concur with SlimTexan, it taste like chicken, tough, chewy, chicken.

Yep. We had it during a recent trip to Florida. The Southern part of Florida (not the part that contains Miami). ;)

Roguish Lawyer
01-26-2005, 11:49

Yes, I fish. Your first statement illustrates that you understood my disbelief regarding the number of fish claimed. ;)

Sacamuelas
01-26-2005, 12:17
LOL

TS-
What you describe is exactly what I thought I described. Must be internet filter kicking in to cause a misunderstanding. They do float off to the side of me about 15 away'. You must be a bad fisherman there country boy, as if I had to reel in a 30' rope EVERY time I wanted to add a fish to the stringer, hell, I would never catch any fish. Economy of motion. :lifter Note- I would take Harsey on the bear hunt. He could always wrestle it down if you ran out of ammo.

You guys are so scared of a gator you would miss out on the best fishing spot within 10 miles of the shore. It doesn't mess with us... it just gets your attention when it decides to play.

FWIW, the joke with my fishing buddies for any new guy is as follows...

new guy: What are you going to do if that damn gator ever became "interested" in you?
SACA: Drop my stringer, and run like hell.
new guy: You KNOW you can't outrun or swim an alligator.
Me: No shit... I don't have to.
new guy: WTF are you talking about?
Me: I don't have to outrun the gator, I only have to outrun YOU. :D

CommoGeek
01-26-2005, 13:50
My brother and I were fishing in a 14-ft. john boat on a creek in north FL. We'd passed several slides along the banks where gators could enter the creek and even seen a few 6 footers.

We went down a bigger creek later in the day and started seeing larger, wider slides. No problem, no big deal, right? We motored around a bend about 6 feet from the bank and saw one about 12 feet in length. We of course spooked him and he slid off the bank but due to the closeness of the boat to the bank....

My brother Scott thought we'd hit a log, he didn't see the gator slide off the bank. I knew better. The john boat was about 4.5 feet wide, maybe a bit more, so it was pretty stable. I'm glad we weren't in a canoe that day. Scott saw the fresh slide marks in the mud and put 2 and 2 together.

We kept fishing, FWIW.

Air.177
01-26-2005, 21:02
Air-
Cat Island is a barrier island in the Gulf. I prefer to not have my sidearms strapped to my side rusting whiile I wade fish in salt water. If you are willing to offer one of your bullet launchers, I will gladly strap it to my side. :D Your right about one thing... my rod and hook remover wouldn't do much if it ever called my bluff.

Are you trying to tell me that Pimp shooter you posted in here before ain't stainless?

So that makes it what? Nickel? Chrome?? KRYLON???

Hell My (or anyone else's for that matter) Glock will run under water, after sitting on the bottom of the ocean for a year, after being frozen in ice, etc. etc. etc

Find a used glock 20 or 21 and treat it like you own it

Sacamuelas
01-26-2005, 21:11
Air.. I really gotta take you fishin'. My buds would really get a kick out of seeing you sporting a stainless steel assault rifle with eotech optics and a spec ops single point sling to catch a 15" speckled trout. Have you read the recent commando thread in the comedy forum? It would fit the guy who packed that kind of firepower just to go wade fishing.

Course, you can completely breakdown and clean the gun while we drink beer after a long 10 hr day fishing.. your choice. In another year, you may change your mind on what you would rather be doing after a long day fishing.

Air.177
01-26-2005, 21:22
Air.. I really gotta take you fishin'. My buds would really get a kick out of seeing you sporting a stainless steel assault rifle with eotech optics and a spec ops single point sling to catch a 15" speckled trout. Have you read the recent commando thread in the comedy forum? It would fit the guy who packed that kind of firepower just to go wade fishing.

Course, you can completely breakdown and clean the gun while we drink beer after a long 10 hr day fishing.. your choice. In another year, you may change your mind on what you would rather be doing after a long day fishing.

Obviously Your Buds and mine are a little different.

Most of my buds would get a kick out of seeing you fighting off gator with a Fishing pole and a pair of pliars.

Hell if the folks I run with even suspected that I was going to be wading in a tidal marsh with gators and wouldn't be carrying a gun, they would think that I had lost my mind. No need to completely disassemble the weapon, just hose the whole thing in WD-40 or LPS-2 and party on. It needs a cleaning eventually, but WD or LPS will hold it over until the fishing trip is over.

you telling me that you mounted an Eotech on a MINI 14?? Wow, Now I've heard it all ;)

Sacamuelas
01-26-2005, 21:29
LOL... hell no. I was generalizing about what gun you would feel you need.
Obviously Your Buds and mine are a little different.

Rest assured, my buds are different than yours. We can both be confident in that. I am just glad to know your buds are there for me when I order that #2 combo.... they always seem to remember to ask if I need ketchup before I drive off. ;) :D

You can still come fishing with me.. anytime. Bring whatever gear you want, just make sure you bring your kevlar skin too cause it gets tough in my AO for gear junkies- gotta have thick skin. I catch hell all the time.

Air.177
01-26-2005, 21:44
LOL... hell no. I was generalizing about what gun you would feel you need.

Rest assured, my buds are different than yours. We can both be confident in that. I am just glad to know your buds are there for me when I order that #2 combo.... they always seem to remember to ask if I need ketchup before I drive off. ;) :D

You can still come fishing with me.. anytime. Bring whatever gear you want, just make sure you bring your kevlar skin too cause it gets tough in my AO for gear junkies- gotta have thick skin. I catch hell all the time.

Hell round here, if you don't have the Newest, shiniest, or at least most interesting Kit, you lose, no matter what.

just keep tellin yourself that about the crowd I run in, You're only kidding
yourself.

Fine, You win, Forget it I don't have time for this anyway.............

I have to Pack for MY TRIP TO SHOT :lifter :munchin