PDA

View Full Version : “It should reduce our risk,” Maj. Gen. Mark Hicks

JJ_BPK
04-13-2018, 15:32
Staying IN THE REAR breeds REMF's and POG's.
100% in or 100% out, No 1/2 ASS UW missions
You can not lead from the REAR..

My $00.00002 :mad:

U.S. Is Reducing Presence of Special-Operations Forces on Africa’s Front Lines

Commandos shift toward headquarters role instead of joining African troops on missions

By Michael M. Phillips
Updated April 10, 2018 5:46 p.m. ET
12 COMMENTS

NIAMEY, Niger—The U.S. is reducing the presence of American commandos on Africa’s front lines, a move U.S. officers believe will make troops less vulnerable to the type of militant attack that left four U.S. soldiers dead in this West African country last fall.

American Green Berets, Navy SEALs and Marine special operators serving as advisers to African forces will largely stay closer to the rear, working from command centers and battalion headquarters, rather than accompanying African troops on hazardous operations against militant groups.

“It should reduce our risk,” Maj. Gen. Mark Hicks, commander of U.S. special-operations troops in Africa, told The Wall Street Journal on Tuesday. “But,“ he added, ”life here is not without risk.”

Gen. Hicks said his intention is to put U.S. special-operations troops to work at a higher level, helping African commanders tackle logistics, intelligence, artillery support, medevac and other aspects of large-scale operations against Boko Haram, al-Shabaab and other local Islamic State and al Qaeda affiliates.

“We’re looking to advise as far up the chain [of command] as our assistance is desired and feasible,” Gen. Hicks said. “It’s not just about reducing risk—it’s about increasing our return on investment.”

link to article (https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-is-reducing-presence-of-special-operations-forces-on-africas-front-lines-1523382635)

Joker
04-13-2018, 19:05
It is a shit hole. As is most of the places we are/have been in. We do need to work on educating the higher level staffs, but not going out to the point will have its drawbacks.

7624U
04-13-2018, 19:30
“It should reduce my risk,” Maj. Gen. Mark Hicks, commander of U.S. special-operations troops in Africa, told The Wall Street Journal on Tuesday. “But,“ he added, ”life in Germany is not without risk.”

Gen. Hicks said his intention is to put U.S. special-operations troops to work at a higher level, [As part of SOCAF's forward staff] helping African commanders tackle logistics, intelligence, artillery support, medevac and other aspects of large-scale operations against Boko Haram, al-Shabaab and other local Islamic State and al Qaeda affiliates.

“We’re looking to advise as far down my chain of command as possible. As our assistance is desired and feasible,” Gen. Hicks said. “It’s not just about being risk adverse—it’s about increasing our return on investment.”

There I took the liberty of changing what the commander was meaning to say.

Team Sergeant
04-13-2018, 19:34
Maj. Gen. Mark Hicks

Have you seen this "warriors" bio? LOLOLOLOL He's the next best thing to having a "cook" run Special Operations in Africa.

And we started "Special Operations" to integrate air and ground operations, it's good to see that the cargo pilots are now taking over ground operations. That's got to be a step in the right direction.

:rolleyes:

I'll be fishing.

7624U
04-14-2018, 11:19
Maj. Gen. Mark Hicks

Have you seen this "warriors" bio? LOLOLOLOL He's the next best thing to having a "cook" run Special Operations in Africa.

And we started "Special Operations" to integrate air and ground operations, it's good to see that the cargo pilots are now taking over ground operations. That's got to be a step in the right direction.

:rolleyes:

I'll be fishing.

Command Pilot has to count for something right TS ;)

WarriorDiplomat
04-14-2018, 11:27
It is a shit hole. As is most of the places we are/have been in. We do need to work on educating the higher level staffs, but not going out to the point will have its drawbacks.

The advisors will no longer share the risk of the mission during advising boy that is building respect and losing of real world ground truth and S/A.....this sounds like the PI model

sfshooter
04-14-2018, 13:27
That creeping term "Risk Adverse" rears its head again and takes away courage from the commanders; if there was courage to be had.

Team Sergeant
04-16-2018, 15:37
That creeping term "Risk Adverse" rears its head again and takes away courage from the commanders; if there was courage to be had.

Actually makes sense........ use an "AF" cargo pilot to make those decisions. (lolz)

I'm waiting for the Special Operations "cooks" to chime in and make some tactical/strategic decisions too.

Joker
04-16-2018, 16:50
Actually makes sense........ use an "AF" cargo pilot to make those decisions. (lolz)

I'm waiting for the Special Operations "cooks" to chime in and make some tactical/strategic decisions too.

You know his J3?