PDA

View Full Version : SF-86 and clearances

Sleepy
02-23-2018, 15:38
I have recently gotten an 18x contract after working with My recruiter for awhile, but i've made a Huge mistake and trying to fix it somehow.
I have a criminal record from another country wich i got as a juvenile and before i moved and became a Citizen in the US.

My recruiter Said since i was never fingerprinted they wouldn't find out wich Well i believed.
It was a dumb mistake wich happend 3 years Ago and should be off My record in a couple years. But i've already signed and shipping out soon, i would really like to serve in the US Military what happend was a mistake and Does not define me as a person wich i would like to prove.

I'm lost in My mind right now and don't know what to do next, My recruiter tries to help me and suggests i commit to the lie and start life as a new person in the Army. My question to you is what Should i do?
I don't wanna lie and want to serve with a clear conscious but Also don't wanna get kicked out and never able to serve again.

7624U
02-23-2018, 16:01
1st: never lie period on your security clearance stuff !

2nd: Not very good form or SA to post a Intro that has nothing in it then ask a question that you could have first searched (SF-86) because this has been asked before..

Your intro: Hey i've recently become interested in joining the Army and specifically as an 18x.

Sleepy
02-23-2018, 16:16
1st: never lie period on your security clearance stuff !

2nd: Not very good form or SA to post a Intro that has nothing in it then ask a question that you could have first searched (SF-86) because this has been asked before..

Your intro: Hey i've recently become interested in joining the Army and specifically as an 18x.

Thanks for the answer.
I have edited My introduction and sorry if i posted this in the wrong place.
I have searched for the answer already a thousand Times and i know i should not lie, but my mistake is already have and don't know how to go about it.
I might be stupid to listen to My recruiter but in the beginning i thougt he had all the answers. So i don't know wether to continue to OSUT and SOPC like it is or just throw it all away.

7624U
02-23-2018, 17:08
The US Govt only cares if your alliance is to this country now that your a citizen of the USA.

It also cares if your crime in your background could be used against you some how to blackmail you into giving out secrets you may be exposed too.

That's all the SF-86 is for. if you have something in your past you need to come clean because they will find out by talking to other law enforcement. even from your original country. Your recruiter is a dumb ass and you can tell him or her I said that.

Scimitar
02-23-2018, 17:33
Sleepy,

My experience with USAREC is it is standard procedure to take a potential recruit into a office 1 on 1, go thru all the questions and for the recruiter to tell the recruit what to say, including lying. This is so common, I'd be surprised if it doesn't come from much higher up.

You've got yourself in a pickle for sure...questions.
- Please provide details on the criminal record, country, crime, year, etc.
- Do you have absolutly any written record of the recruiter advising you to leave the info off?

S

Sleepy
02-23-2018, 18:03
Thanks, I understand @7624U

I sent you a PM about it. @Scimitar

Scimitar
02-23-2018, 18:10
Didn't get one.

Scimitar
03-08-2018, 15:43
OK,

Spoke to a contact at USAREC.

1) Getting a waiver for the issue as you've described it, even for an 18x contract, would have been relatively easy. It is highly unlikely to have been any more than a bit of paperwork. Waivers of this type are now authorized at the Battalion level, were they used to go to the General level. It would seem that your recruiter simply wanted to avoid doing waiver paperwork.

2) The primary issue here is it's a felony to lie on an SF-86. You'd be discharged under a fallacious enlistment, and would need to try and reenlist. However, there is another pathway, were if you speak up before shipping out, it would be considered an erroneous enlistment, and could easily be fixed.

There are no guarantees here, but the local USAREC brigade has no interest in losing 18x special mission numbers.

HTH

S

JimP
03-08-2018, 17:08
Rog, people "forget" stuff all the time. So long as you catch it and clarify the record you'll be fine. Although, the usual disclaimer in that I know NOTHING of the alleged parade of horribles you perpetuated in another county.

Best of luck!!

P36
03-12-2018, 04:11
I used to do background investigations for the Army way back in the day when CI Agents sill did them overseas.

This will haunt you if you do not sit down with the person who did your clearance paeprwork, or the S2 of USAREC/MEPs (at whatever level you are at in the process).

Lying to get into the military is a crime. You will be re investigated every 5 years for your clearance and you will have to lie again. If you ever get into a job that requires a polygraph, this will be on your mind and will mess you up and it will be much worse for you career wise. This one lie has the ability to impact the rest of your life.

I understand the fear you are feeling (what if..what if...should i stay quiet...). No, you should not. You want to be SF, you need integrity and moral courage.

Go do what Scimitar suggests. Then, note the date/time/location/name of the person you told and keep that shit forever, so if it ever comes up again...you can point to the fact you made it right.

Recruiters tell recruits to lie routinely (they want numbers). My recruiter told me to lie about smoking marijuana.

Do the right thing and good luck.