PDA

View Full Version : Russian Pilot uses grenade to avoid capture

RichL025
02-05-2018, 08:10
Yes, they are our adversaries both in this conflict, and globally.

But that does not mean we can't admire heroism, and respect the tough decision that pilot had to make....

Prayers & respect to him & his family, and anyone who has to make that decision.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/russia-rains-retaliatory-strikes-rebel-101050822.html

(But pilots carrying grenades? Really???)

Mustang Man
02-05-2018, 08:58
Militants from al-Qaeda-linked Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) opened fire on him after his parachute opened, but he made it to the ground. According to a video circulating*on social media on Monday, Major Filipov shot two fighters before detonating a grenade to avoid capture.

Much respect. He would have been a dead man either way...

Now comes the fun part where we wait and see how these radical jihadists acquired shoulder fired MANPADS.

A Syrian special forces operation is reportedly underway in the area where a Russian Su-25 jet was downed by a MANPAD rocket on Saturday. The goal is to find evidence allowing the weapon to be traced to its origin.

The Russian warplane was downed by a shoulder-fired anti-aircraft rocket, according to the Russian defense ministry. Moscow is very interested in establishing how exactly the weapon system got into the hands of the militant group responsible for attack, Russian MP Vikotor Volodarsky told RIA Novosti.

“The group that had the MANPAD has been destroyed by the Russian Air Force. Now the Syrian commandos are working on the ground. If they find elements of that launcher, we could trace its serial number and establish its origin to the factory in a few days, find out how it got there,”*the Russian MP said. He added Russian planes are providing air support to the Syrian troops.

Earlier the US asserted that it did not provide the MANPAD to the group which shot down the Russian plane.*“The United States have not provided any of its allied forces in Syria with anti-aircraft weapons,”*Pentagon spokesman Maj. Adrian J.T. Rankine-Galloway told TASS.

https://www.rt.com/news/417831-syria-operation-manpad-search/

JJ_BPK
02-05-2018, 09:02
Major Roman Filipo
Russian Hero
RIP Warrior
Vaya con Dios

Maj Filipov, from the eastern city of Vladivostok, has been posthumously nominated for the Kremlin's highest honour - the Hero of Russia, according to a report in Russian daily newspaper Kommersant.

Still,, I'm a little leary,, How did the Hayat Tahrir al-Sham grunts manage DLPT 3+/3+/3+ in Russian?

Streck-Fu
02-05-2018, 11:05
Flashback... From Libya? LINK (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/isis-libya-muhammar-gaddafi-anti-aircraft-missiles-jihadists-a6926216.html)

Mr Michetti, an experienced investigator for a London-based company that tracks the sources of small arms in conflict zones, travelled there on a hunch. Local fighters, he reckoned, may have some of the shoulder-held anti-aircraft missiles that disappeared when rebels ousted the Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.

In the sweltering heat, the gunmen unveiled a small arsenal: four Russian-made SA-7 missiles and two later models of the SA-16 variety. The heat-seeking missiles are capable of shooting down a civilian airliner.

DaveMatteson
02-05-2018, 11:48
Yes, they are our adversaries both in this conflict, and globally.

But that does not mean we can't admire heroism, and respect the tough decision that pilot had to make....

Prayers & respect to him & his family, and anyone who has to make that decision.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/russia-rains-retaliatory-strikes-rebel-101050822.html

(But pilots carrying grenades? Really???)

You should look up some of the weapons the Cosmonauts carry with them into space.

Team Sergeant
02-05-2018, 13:12
I would not allow those assholes to capture me alive either........

SF_BHT
02-05-2018, 16:11
I would not allow those assholes to capture me alive either........

Ditto

lindy
02-05-2018, 17:18
Still,, I'm a little leary,, How did the Hayat Tahrir al-Sham grunts manage DLPT 3+/3+/3+ in Russian?

HTS has Uzbek, Tajik, and Chechen units. It’s worth noting that Abu Umar al-Shishani’s jihadist unit (JAMWA, Army of Emigrants and Supporters) was aligned with Al Nusra (earlier name for HTS) before splitting between ISIS and ANF.

ISIS used to have similar ethnically divided units with some estimates claiming 3400 coming from Russia, making them the largest source of foreign fighters.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/oct/24/russia-no-1-source-country-isis-foreign-fighters-r/

PRB
02-05-2018, 17:20
Valhalla bound....

JJ_BPK
02-05-2018, 17:23
HTS has ....

Thanks

Golf1echo
02-05-2018, 17:34
That burst decodes as " sh.t Jiffy Pop Danger Close with some Willy Pete"...*
RIP

AKA: осторожная катастрофа

*Cluster Bombs and Phosphorus

EricV
02-05-2018, 19:00
Vladimir Shamanov, head of the State Duma Defense Committee, to Interfax on shootdown of Russian fighter: "There are more than a thousand representatives of American instructors in Idlib, and it is impossible to exclude that they could do this for provocative purposes."

Video of the MANPADS launch and hit has someone in clear English remarking, “Got him! Got him! Got him!” Potentially a bit of not-good going on here.

https://twitter.com/qalaatalmudiq/status/959807906374963200

The Reaper
02-05-2018, 19:41
Russian versions of events tend to change as facts are presented.

If the story is as described, MAJ Filipov did the right thing and is a hero.

RIP, Major!

TR

RichL025
02-05-2018, 19:53
Video of the MANPADS launch and hit has someone in clear English remarking, “Got him! Got him! Got him!” Potentially a bit of not-good going on here.

https://twitter.com/qalaatalmudiq/status/959807906374963200

I have no idea what you are talking about. I listened to that video several times and do not hear what you claim to hear. At what time-stamp do you think you hear that?

sfshooter
02-05-2018, 20:39
I would think the SA-7 Grail are probably still out there in abundance. Not withstanding the following report from Wikipedia so extrapolate what you will from it:

During the current civil war, several Strelas have made their way to rebel hands and their firings have been uploaded to YouTube. In 2013, Foreign Policy, citing rebels sources, reported the shipment, with Qatari help, of some 120 SA-7s from Libya (with large stocks acquired by Muammar Gaddafi and proliferated after that country's civil war) through Turkey and with Turkish authorities' knowledge[11][15][16]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9K32_Strela-2

EricV
02-05-2018, 22:19
I have no idea what you are talking about. I listened to that video several times and do not hear what you claim to hear. At what time-stamp do you think you hear that?

Mmm... I can't seem to isolate the particular video. The heading is Feb 3
Qalaat Al Mudiq

@QalaatAlMudiq
Feb 3
More
#SE. #Idlib: video confirmation #Russia|n Su-25 was shot down with a MANPADS. #Syria

In that video it sounds like he's saying got'em about three times starting at the 13th second; clip is only 17 seconds long.

Old Dog New Trick
02-05-2018, 23:29
I would think the SA-7 Grail are probably still out there in abundance. Not withstanding the following report from Wikipedia so extrapolate what you will from it:

During the current civil war, several Strelas have made their way to rebel hands and their firings have been uploaded to YouTube. In 2013, Foreign Policy, citing rebels sources, reported the shipment, with Qatari help, of some 120 SA-7s from Libya (with large stocks acquired by Muammar Gaddafi and proliferated after that country's civil war) through Turkey and with Turkish authorities' knowledge[11][15][16]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9K32_Strela-2

Nothing to see here, move along...it was a long time ago, they are already dead; what difference does it make.

RIP Chris Stevens; Sean Smith; Glen Doherty; and Tyrone Woods.

And now MAJ Roman Filipo.

Imaginary Red lines in the sand filled with American, Russian, (non-combatant) Syrian, and Kurdish blood.

Brought to you by the administration of peace, love and apologies.

PSM
02-06-2018, 00:52
Nothing to see here, move along...it was a long time ago, they are already dead; what difference does it make.

Imaginary Red lines in the sand filled with American, Russian, (non-combatant) Syrian, and Kurdish blood.

Damn well said!

RichL025
02-06-2018, 05:16
Qalaat Al Mudiq

@QalaatAlMudiq
Feb 3
More
#SE. #Idlib: video confirmation #Russia|n Su-25 was shot down with a MANPADS. #Syria

In that video it sounds like he's saying got'em about three times starting at the 13th second; clip is only 17 seconds long.

OK, I found the one you're talking about and I heard what you are referring to. It could be "got 'em" that the speaker is saying, but my money is on something else - especially since the same voice screams "Allahu Akbar" right after that. I'm guessing that "Got'em" is quite close to something in Arabic.

Arabic speakers, any ideas?

https://twitter.com/QalaatAlMudiq/status/959834713446809600

(I tried to isolate the video as well but could not. Navigate to the 17 second long video at the link above)

JJ_BPK
02-06-2018, 06:02
Qalaat Al Mudiq

@QalaatAlMudiq
Feb 3
More

I could hear "something" spoken three times, before he starts with the "ally snatchh bar"

mojaveman
02-06-2018, 12:05
I would not allow those assholes to capture me alive either.....

Agree. They can my head off after I'm dead.

frostfire
02-06-2018, 12:22
Death before dishonor

The alternative ending of Man on Fire comes to mind.

The jihadist got their vest, I wonder if those of us who "volunteer" can opt to swallow a gps marker. I would be smiling even as they cut my head off knowing a JDAM is enroute

EricV
02-06-2018, 12:42
OK, I found the one you're talking about and I heard what you are referring to. It could be "got 'em" that the speaker is saying, but my money is on something else - especially since the same voice screams "Allahu Akbar" right after that. I'm guessing that "Got'em" is quite close to something in Arabic.

Arabic speakers, any ideas?

https://twitter.com/QalaatAlMudiq/status/959834713446809600

(I tried to isolate the video as well but could not. Navigate to the 17 second long video at the link above)

Could be the speaker speaks both English and Arabic. English when sane, but Arabic when he gets excited or hysterical and loses it. That sounds... fitting.:D

EricV
02-06-2018, 12:48
Death before dishonor

The alternative ending of Man on Fire comes to mind.

The jihadist got their vest, I wonder if those of us who "volunteer" can opt to swallow a gps marker. I would be smiling even as they cut my head off knowing a JDAM is enroute

From what I hear, the pilot managed to get his exact coordinates out by radio before the end came...

BREAKING: Russian missiles strike area of #Su25 downing, killing at least 30 terrorists – MoD

Badger52
02-06-2018, 18:03
I could hear "something" spoken three times, before he starts with the "ally snatchh bar"Saw that vid couple days ago or something; I thought (after the "got 'em" x3) he said, Holy Balls!"

Tinnitus maybe...
:rolleyes:

sfshooter
02-06-2018, 19:21

ODNT I did not put 2 and 2 together (I blame it on a long day) but ditto what PSM posted!