PDA

View Full Version : Vintage BB gun

twistedsquid
01-19-2018, 17:32
I'm still unpacking after his passing. My father's first "rifle". A 1948 Daisy Red Ryder. It still shoots straight. What we take into our hands we take into our hearts.

Abu Jack
01-19-2018, 17:35
Cool Heirloom!

Joker
01-19-2018, 18:42
YOU"LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT!!! :D

Cool! :lifter

Combat Diver
01-19-2018, 23:43
Might want to slug the bore if you decide to fire it. Just be careful if you decide to shoot it as BB technology was up/down after WWII. Lead BBs were .180, Daisy had started a .175" steel BB in the late 20s.

The end of the war did not immediately restart America's peacetime economy. Wartime industry had to be phased out and plants and tools returned to their rightful owners. Certain materials remained in critical shortage for several years. Companies like Daisy had to virtually remake themselves from the ground up. So steel BBs were off the market for quite a while.
Aluminum BBs were tried briefly as a substitute, but without the weight of steel, they exhibited the worst sort of instability, even at relatively slow velocities. Old stocks of lead air rifle shot were called upon for a time until the late 1940s, when factories got the steel flowing again.

https://www.pyramydair.com/article/BB_History_February_2006/28

CD

Team Sergeant
01-20-2018, 11:15
YOU"LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT!!! :D

Cool! :lifter

Damn, beat me to it.

Nice BB gun!