PDA

View Full Version : "Support our Troop" Stickers...Creates a Stir at U of O

NousDefionsDoc
01-23-2005, 01:02
Link (http://www.kezi.com/content/contentID/9835)

"Support our Troop" Stickers...Creates a Stir at U of O

A yellow ribbon sticker that says "Support The Troops" has created a big stir at the University of Oregon.
A day after a campus employee was told to remove the sticker from his maintenance vehicle -- people on campus are reacting.
It all started after a university employee complained.
Some think the university may have gone too far.
But for now... all the stickers are gone.
For some it's a sticker that supports the troops.
But at the University of Oregon... someone saw it as a political statement.
"I don't know how they think these are political.. i think they're patriotic," said Pete Baker, U of O delivery driver.
Pete Baker has had the stickers on his work truck... for months.
Friday, a university employee... complained.
Now the stickers are gone.
"I'm not democratic or republican.. and i was really surprised the university deemed them to be political," said Baker.
Others who work with Baker... try to understand.
"These are like their offices they work in them for eight hours a day.. they're going to do something personal with them," said Ron Lattion, facilities Maintenace worker.
In an e-mailed statement.. the University of Oregon says it is unclear if the decals are a political statement.
But to make sure they are in compliance with state restrictions... all stickers were ordered to be removed.
"I think it's really a tough situation... because both sides have valid arguments," said Terra Wegner, a U of O student.
"It really comes down to the question of should state employees be allowed to express their opinions," said Morgan Goulding, a Eugene resident.
Under university guidelines the trucks are not be used for political purposes.
The question then is... what constitutes a political statement.
"I don't think it's political i think they're just trying to support the guys who are putting their lives on the line for this country. be it right or wrong.. be it right or left," said Lattion.
The trucks are part of a public institution.
Under state law... public employees can not use state resources to spread political messages.
The university determined that some may view the yellow ribbons as a political statement...threfore they demanded that all those stickers be removed.

Huey14
01-23-2005, 01:17
I would suggest the University now communicates only in Japanese.

gits
01-23-2005, 01:27
Thats U of O for you... my friend had his back window on his truck smashed because he had a "Marine" sticker on it. Down in Eugene where U of O is one of the most liberal areas you can be in Oregon.

bberkley
01-23-2005, 02:27
I hear ya Gits. Bunch of mud-hut dwelling anarchist hippies down there.

GackMan
01-23-2005, 03:07
hippies... We have an office in Eugene. they'd have to pay me a ton to live down there.

I can just imagine the uber sensitive tenured academic prick who complained.

Roguish Lawyer
01-23-2005, 12:14
Mr. Harsey? :munchin

Bravo1-3
01-23-2005, 12:20
I can just imagine the uber sensitive tenured academic prick who complained.

It was one of the librarians. You should see the video that they played on the news that showed his personal car. And no, the guy isn't a Democrat, he's a Marxist.

mffjm8509
01-24-2005, 00:55
Thats U of O for you... my friend had his back window on his truck smashed because he had a "Marine" sticker on it. Down in Eugene where U of O is one of the most liberal areas you can be in Oregon.

I accually prefer it when they do this......nothing to impede the path between point of aim and point of impact! :lifter

mp

12B4S
01-24-2005, 01:33
I accually prefer it when they do this......nothing to impede the path between point of aim and point of impact! :lifter

mp

Damn Straight!! Im a FOG. I also grew up in the 60's and 70's (the proliferation of coward suckwads in those days, was spooky scheisse. I mean the peacenic/boiled up view, political crap they believed in. That was not well typed, trying to type 40 or so years of stuff as I grew up. A chunk of that was Army SF. After decades mffjm has it dead on..... don't want anything impeding that path :)