PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Residents Panic Over Pumping Their Own Gasoline

Requiem
01-04-2018, 01:10
A new law that took effect this week in Oregon will allow residents in rural counties to pump their own gas — a divergence from the state’s decades-long history of having attendants pump gas for drivers.

Under House Bill 2482, which took effect Monday, retailers in counties with a population of less than 40,000 are allowed to have self-service gas pumps. Drivers in 15 counties can now pump their own gas any time of day, while those in three other rural counties can do so after business hours, between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m.

The Internet machine roared, fueled by a local TV station’s now-viral Facebook post last week asking people to react to the new law. Some were angry and perturbed by the possibility of having to pump their own gas in the cold, while those from other states scoffed.

“I don’t even know HOW to pump gas and I am 62, native Oregonian . . . I say NO THANKS! I don’t like to smell like gasoline!” one woman wrote.

“No! Disabled, seniors, people with young children in the car need help. Not to mention getting out of your car with transients around and not feeling safe. This is a very bad idea. Grrr,” another woman wrote.

“I’ve lived in this state all my life and I REFUSE to pump my own gas . . . This [is] a service only qualified people should perform. I will literally park at the pump and wait until someone pumps my gas.”

By the time the law took effect, Oregon had become a virtual laughingstock among social media users who seemed to have visualized an entire state filled with hapless drivers.

“FEAR NOT OREGON!!! I’ve decided to move to Oregon to open a school to teach people how to pump their gas. Short-term business you say?” a man wrote and then listed a list of menial tasks he wants to teach people do. His Facebook comment has been liked 61,000 times.

“I’m in Wisconsin and with the wind chill it’s currently -17. You know what I did this morning?! Had to pump my own flipping gas!! It’s not that hard people!!” one woman wrote.

“It’s official. Oregon is full of mentally defective, full grown children, incapable of the most mundane adult tasks,” another man wrote.

Lost in the online chatter, however, is that the law does not impose wide-ranging changes, meaning many Oregonians who don’t want to fill their own tanks won’t have to. HB 2482 does not require all gas stations in the state to have self-service pumps at all hours of the day. It simply gives retailers in sparsely populated communities, or about half of the states’ counties, the option to do so — and some have said they will continue their business practices regardless of the law. Source. (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/01/03/i-dont-even-know-how-some-oregonians-panic-about-new-self-service-gas-law/?utm_term=.a106d818eb20)

This is hilarious. I lived in the Portland area for about 18 months and hated having the gas pumped for me.

S.

Ret10Echo
01-04-2018, 08:25
Someone mentioned that one argument was that it would lower the price of fuel in the state.... With the very thin profit margin (about $.03/gallon) on actual fuel, I don't know how an attendant's presence would play into the cost per-gallon.

It's a jobs program. As a kid that was my first paying job down at the local Sunoco station. Pumping gas, cleaning windows, checking oil and air pressure.

miclo18d
01-04-2018, 17:59
Someone mentioned that one argument was that it would lower the price of fuel in the state.... With the very thin profit margin (about $.03/gallon) on actual fuel, I don't know how an attendant's presence would play into the cost per-gallon.

It's a jobs program. As a kid that was my first paying job down at the local Sunoco station. Pumping gas, cleaning windows, checking oil and air pressure.

What? Did you at least get a “living wage”

Chucko
01-04-2018, 18:12
How in the world will Oregonians pump their own gas while stoned with reefer? It is a balancing act. :eek:

In time it will evolve to an Indian sitting behind the cash register selling cigarettes and just keeping an eye on business like in our town.

If some handicapped or elderly guy needs gas pumped I really doubt he would ever get gas here. Nobody will pump your gas except maybe another kind soul at the pump next to you, if he happens to make eye contact with you.

PSM
01-04-2018, 18:46
I guess Oregonians never drive outside of the state.

TOMAHAWK9521
01-05-2018, 08:31
I never did like having to wait for someone else fill up my tank when I was visiting there. Depending on where you are, you might have to wait a while for the attendants if there are several cars there and you have to wait your turn, despite the pump being open. And if the gas station is empty and the attendant is some slacker misanthrope, what better way to make them get off their ass and do their job than to get out of the truck and start messing with the pump. That little emo or tweaker will be out their like their ass is on fire.

Ret10Echo
01-05-2018, 14:13
My last trip out there I had an o-dark-thirty flight out. Hit a gas station in the rental, jumped out, used the CC, filled up. As I was returning the pump handle I see this guy shambling toward me. Figured it was a homeless guy (there are plenty in the Portland area) so I kept an eye on him...finished my business and drove off as he stared at me.

Didn't even dawn on me that I violated some rule and amazingly I didn't burst into flames or die during the act. :D

CloseDanger
01-05-2018, 22:07
It's so.

The Reaper
01-05-2018, 22:55
Wow, only one other state requiring attendants is New Jersey.

Great club to belong to. :D

TR

Mustang Man
01-06-2018, 02:00
Wow, only one other state requiring attendants is New Jersey.

Great club to belong to.

In Jersey we pump fists not gas:p With this sub zero weather I'll gladly wait in my warm car!

SF_BHT
01-06-2018, 17:53
In Jersey we pump fists not gas:p With this sub zero weather I'll gladly wait in my warm car!

Real men don’t hide in cars

Penn
01-07-2018, 09:53
The headline should have been "How the living wage impacts jobs." First time employment opportunities are scaled back in the restaurant industry due to the "living wage" requirement. We have changed our position by only hiring skilled prep people that are willing to double down in the wash wear @$15 per/hour.