PDA

View Full Version : Academic Rigor Reinforces Privilege

tonyz
12-14-2017, 08:03
So, academic rigor for those who design and build bridges, aircraft, weapons systems, ships, dams, nuclear reactors, medical equipment, etc., merely reinforces privilege.

I, for one, am heartened that those who design and build such important systems are subject to rigorous academic standards.

Normally, this wouldn't even be worth reading except that the calls for eliminating rigorous standards in many areas expands and continues.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right." ― George Orwell, 1984

Purdue Prof: Academic Rigor Reinforces Privilege
Caroline Stout December 12, 2017 College News

A prominent engineering professor at Purdue University’s School of Engineering Education recently made the judgments that academic “rigor” reinforces “white male heterosexual privilege.”

Donna Riley published an article entitled “Rigor/Us: Building Boundaries and Disciplining Diversity with Standards of Merit” that argues that academic rigor is a “dirty deed” that upholds norms of “white male heterosexual privilege.” The article was published in the most recent issue of the journal Engineering Education.

Riley defines rigor as “the aspirational quality academics apply to disciplinary standards of quality.” She contends that it “is used to maintain disciplinary boundaries, with exclusionary implications for marginalized groups and marginalized ways of knowing.”

"One of rigor’s purposes is, to put it bluntly, a thinly veiled assertion of white male (hetero)sexuality,” she states. Riley also adds that it “has a historical lineage of being about hardness, stiffness, and erectness; its sexual connotations—and links to masculinity in particular—are undeniable.”

Among the other impacts of merit-based motivation, as put forth by Riley include the claim that academic rigor may “operate to exclude men of color and women, students with disabilities, LGBTQ+ people, first-generation and low-income students, and non-traditionally aged students.

Riley also claims that it can “reinforce gender, race, and class hierarchies in engineering, and maintain invisibility of queer, disabled, low-income, and other marginalized engineering students.”

Further, Riley even argues that “scientific knowledge itself is gendered, raced, and colonizing” with “inherent masculinist, white, and global North bias…all under a guise of neutrality.”

In order to eradicate the negative impacts of academic rigor, Riley calls for engineering programs to “do away with” the notion of academic rigor altogether. She states, “This is not about reinventing rigor for everyone, it is about doing away with the concept altogether so we can welcome other ways of knowing. Other ways of being. It is about criticality and reflexivity.”

“We need these other ways of knowing to critique rigor, and to find a place to start to build a community for inclusive and holistic engineering education,” Riley demands in the article.

https://www.turningpoint.news/purdue-academic-rigor-privilege/

Streck-Fu
12-14-2017, 08:05
has a historical lineage of being about hardness, stiffness, and erectness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDrnNztzhvg

tonyz
12-14-2017, 08:43

Hmmmm, perhaps the author is merely calling for more flaccid academic standards...;)

Golf1echo
12-14-2017, 08:43

The Tacoma Narrows Bridge suffered that failure from uniform gusts of 30MPH or oscillation... Same force as to why soldiers break their step when marching across a bridge. In reality buildings and bridges are not stiffly erect, they sway, expand, and move or they fail....
Sorry about your thesis Caroline, probably helps to know what your talking about.

Edit: That pesky context of the Code of Hammurabi sure flies in the face of SJW's probably finds the Diorite Stela threatening as well.

CSB
12-14-2017, 08:52
Yeah, about what I thought...

The learned professor at a White House conference (during the Obama administration).

By her standards, I suppose that rigorous standards are not as important as
insuring that the design and engineering is done by an appropriate SJW placeholder.

So the real question, when a walkway collapses and 114 people are killed, is not
whether or not the engineer improperly
designed and built the box beam support so as to double the load on the bolt heads,
and failed to take live loads into account, but whether or not the engineer was a card carrying LGBTQ person.

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/11/16/us/engineers-are-held-at-fault-in-81-hotel-disaster.html

cbtengr
12-14-2017, 08:52
"I, for one, am heartened that those who design and build such important systems are subject to rigorous academic standards. " Agreed Tonyz.

She is out of her freaking mind and more than a little bit of a rascist. She pretty much dismisses people of color as having the ability to meet rigorous acedemic standards. Participation ribbons to all.

Streck-Fu
12-14-2017, 09:25
The Tacoma Narrows Bridge suffered that failure from uniform gusts of 30MPH or oscillation... Same force as to why soldiers break their step when marching across a bridge. In reality buildings and bridges are not stiffly erect, they sway, expand, and move or they fail....
Sorry about your thesis Caroline, probably helps to know what your talking about.

It was the first thing I thought of when I read those words... :D

Golf1echo
12-14-2017, 09:45
It was the first thing I thought of when I read those words... :D

Great example with some crazy images for prosterity!

JJ_BPK
12-14-2017, 10:44
:munchin

sinjefe
12-14-2017, 11:16
The world is full of blithering idiots.:rolleyes:

rubberneck
12-14-2017, 11:16
So by default anyone who is not white, male or straight is too stupid to handle academic rigor. These people are so accidentally sexist/homophonic/racist it’s laughable, but it’s ok because she’s liberal and it’s impossible for her to be any of the aforementioned.

Sohei
12-14-2017, 11:21
I love the idea that a college professor basically wants people to stay ignorant!

In fact, I enjoy the fact that she probably indebted herself to get to where she is and yet wants others to remain ignorant so as not to offend the willingly ignorant by their lack of desire to improve themselves.

Ah...academia at its finest!

Team Sergeant
12-14-2017, 16:47
I've learned, privilege , allahu akbar, racist, blm, mean absolutely nothing especially mouthed by "professors".

Anything that has the word privilege, I immediately stop reading. :munchin

Joker
12-14-2017, 22:31
:munchin

Your post makes my head hurt. :D

Streck-Fu
12-15-2017, 07:22
"“We need these other ways of knowing to critique rigor, "

I'd like for her to break that shit down barney style and explain what it means.

" holistic engineering education"

:eek:

Sohei
12-15-2017, 07:24
"“We need these other ways of knowing to critique rigor, "

I'd like for to break that shit down barney style and explain what it means.

" holistic engineering education"

:eek:

Academic psychobabble at its finest. I don't even think she knows what it means.

I wonder what ever happened to "critical thinking" being taught.

Oh well, let's keep the masses ignorant.

bblhead672
12-15-2017, 09:40
Stupid liberal bitch. How in the hell does someone become a "A prominent engineering professor at Purdue University’s School of Engineering Education" without ever held a f**king job outside of academia.
What the hell has she ever "engineered" except a career in brainwashing her students?

*%&#!!. Where's my rope? :D

SF_BHT
12-15-2017, 09:55
Stupid liberal bitch. How in the hell does someone become a "A prominent engineering professor at Purdue University’s School of Engineering Education" without ever held a f**king job outside of academia.
What the hell has she ever "engineered" except a career in brainwashing her students?

*%&#!!. Where's my rope? :D

I take it that you have never attended any higher learning institutes.:eek: the majority of the professors have never done anything outside of attending college and started teaching. Most would never survive in the outside and corporate world. They thrive inside the liberal bubble called college and love preaching their dribble to young minds that have not had enough life experiences yet to know that they are full of shit. They bank on the fact that they will get a high Pecentage to buy in and expand the liberal agenda.

Most communist and socialst revolutions have started at universities.

Old Dog New Trick
12-15-2017, 10:11
I typed up a long reply and then deleted it.

The federal government needs to stop funding these for profit institutions.

If the Deans, Presidents and stockholders in these universities can’t control and can’t hire bias free and experienced “experts” the federal government i.e., my tax dollars, don’t need to pay for it.

A generation of mindless stupid people have been created. :rolleyes:

Team Sergeant
12-15-2017, 10:14
I typed up a long reply and then deleted it.

The federal government needs to stop funding these for profit institutions.

If the Deans, Presidents and stockholders in these universities can’t control and can’t hire bias free and experienced “experts” the federal government i.e., my tax dollars, don’t need to pay for it.

A generation of mindless stupid sheeple have been created. :rolleyes:

Fixed that for you. ;)

bblhead672
12-15-2017, 11:13
I take it that you have never attended any higher learning institutes.:eek: the majority of the professors have never done anything outside of attending college and started teaching. Most would never survive in the outside and corporate world. They thrive inside the liberal bubble called college and love preaching their dribble to young minds that have not had enough life experiences yet to know that they are full of shit. They bank on the fact that they will get a high Pecentage to buy in and expand the liberal agenda.

Most communist and socialst revolutions have started at universities.

Yeah, 40 years ago I attended a "higher learning institute" and much of what transpired in those years are not exactly fresh in my mind! :D

My brother is a retired academic, liberal as they come, and spent just about his entire working life in academia. Except for one brief period where he worked in advertising surrounded by other like minded liberals.

It just pisses me off that these people, including my brother and his wife, believe that their ideals are how all of us should live our lives.

Golf1echo
12-17-2017, 10:39
In thinking about this thread... It's as good an example of the many avenues of social engineering the last administration used to try to forward their agenda as any, this one being a bit more obvious than some of the others. There historically were issues in engineering programs that created limitations, the tools, the curiculums, the faculties and professional accreditation. All of us are familiar with the tendency of engineers to be liniar thinkers as an example however many approaches have been put in place to expand their perspective ie. design process, STEM programs, even development of computer interfaces. It is both discouraging and yet transperant that someone in this persons position chose racism and sexism to be the focus of her diatribe.

The big irony to me is that she comes out of Perdue... The"Boiler Makers", that references a time when homes and buildings were heated with boiler/radiator systems a potentially volital mechanism if not done correctly. While it involved engineering the installation was equally critical. Thes folks were boiler makers, a trade that came out of guilds and apprenaships often referred to as an art form although it was the product of a very rigorous and disaplined process.

CSB That is very interesting, I never saw the final adjudication malpractice rates and civil actions come to mind.

SF BHT Right on the money to a big degree, I saw a lot of that in my own program... Which was supposedly one of the better ones described by many as a weed out program... As they say and is often the case ," Those that can't teach".