PDA

View Full Version : Aero Press.....coffee

Golf1echo
11-26-2017, 08:08
I've had an Aero Press coffee press for a couple of years now, I wasn't completely sure at first as I do like freshly roasted coffee from a French press. The Aero Press definitely gets a thumbs up from me, it is durable, easy to use, the small paper filters that I thought might be an issue are great and seemingly last forever there are a lot of them and they are small)...the best part is it can take marginal and old coffee ( forgotten in the pack or stored at a cabin) and make a very palatable cup of coffee. It makes rocket fuel coffee (strong) that is not bitter. My understanding is the magic happens it the way it extracts from the coffee. I also understand chefs use it.

I usually use Peet's coffee.

http://www.aeropress.com

Team Sergeant
11-26-2017, 14:01
I've had an Aero Press coffee press for a couple of years now, I wasn't completely sure at first as I do like freshly roasted coffee from a French press. The Aero Press definitely gets a thumbs up from me, it is durable, easy to use, the small paper filters that I thought might be an issue are great and seemingly last forever there are a lot of them and they are small)...the best part is it can take marginal and old coffee ( forgotten in the pack or stored at a cabin) and make a very palatable cup of coffee. It makes rocket fuel coffee (strong) that is not bitter. My understanding is the magic happens it the way it extracts from the coffee. I also understand chefs use it.

I usually use Peet's coffee.

http://www.aeropress.com

You making coffee or conducting surgery?

Simple coffee press. No "filters". Simple is good. (And I'm also a chef ;))

VonShef Stainless Steel French Press (https://www.walmart.com/ip/VonShef-Stainless-Steel-French-Press-Cafetiere-Coffee-Maker/118274241?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1142&adid=22222222227063667481&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=170273042550&wl4=pla-275261612306&wl5=9030164&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=117085035&wl11=online&wl12=118274241&wl13=&veh=sem)

rsdengler
11-26-2017, 15:01
You making coffee or conducting surgery?

Simple coffee press. No "filters". Simple is good. (And I'm also a chef ;))

VonShef Stainless Steel French Press (https://www.walmart.com/ip/VonShef-Stainless-Steel-French-Press-Cafetiere-Coffee-Maker/118274241?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1142&adid=22222222227063667481&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=170273042550&wl4=pla-275261612306&wl5=9030164&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=117085035&wl11=online&wl12=118274241&wl13=&veh=sem)

LOL...That's exactly what I want....that VonShef Stainless Steel French Press is SWEET....:o

Golf1echo
11-26-2017, 16:59
Very nice Team Sargent, I don't recall ever seeing that on their shelves... They often don't have any. The last one I got glass was pretty modern. Coffee at the cabin and even at the house now * gets a little stale before I use it, this Aero Press fixes what would other wise be poor flavor.
* Building 3 in Colo. Springs ( owned by a former 10th SFG guy ) has the Central American coffee IIRC Pete once described here on the forum...small cup of that works wonders!!!

I know your a chef, which is why I have been building a small set of better quality pots and pans as well as some cast iron pieces... Just in case someone who knows how to cook passes by.

G2squared
12-04-2017, 23:29
NICE!! So the battle of the best French Press is on?! Is this like the which truck is better, Ford, RAM, GMC? I like it, but sadly my pathetic oldish stomach can't handle the hot brew anymore if it's hot enough to get any acids out of the grounds... Cold brew works but ain't good for the "need it now" caffeine fix. 12hrs of waiting... Yes, my wife makes fun of me as she fires down her French Press coffee and smiles. We have the VonShef for our travel trailer.
G2

Team Sergeant
12-05-2017, 07:55
Walmart has a huge website to make purchases from and most of it is not in their stores.

When I want something I search the internet first, due diligence, then order it.

The VonShef Stainless Steel French Press is what I was looking for after I did some reading. Mine makes only one cup and that's all I wanted. ;)

G2squared
12-07-2017, 23:20
So my wife doesn't like the poor consistency from the electric coffee grinder. Any recommendations on a good quality coffee grinder? From my research of grain grinding, ceramic burs are the way to go.
Thoughts?

G2

Streck-Fu
12-08-2017, 08:16
So my wife doesn't like the poor consistency from the electric coffee grinder. Any recommendations on a good quality coffee grinder? From my research of grain grinding, ceramic burs are the way to go.
Thoughts?

G2

As long as you don't have large pieces of unground beans, how can she taste if the grind is inconsistent?

G2squared
12-11-2017, 23:45
As long as you don't have large pieces of unground beans, how can she taste if the grind is inconsistent?

lol. I quit asking why my wife thinks the way she does. It might be that she can see the difference in the larger chunks or maybe her palate for coffee is that much better than mine? I don't know, I just like to find quality stuff to make her happy at this point! :p
French press vs, drip. Drip vs perk? cold brew? Turkish (which, btw, my platoon asked that I never again have 2. it scares them), espresso, latte, breve? I just want caffeine sometimes. Other foods I'm a bit more particular, but coffee, meh.
G2