PDA

View Full Version : 519 Bull ELK

Penn
11-06-2017, 05:41
A Friend and Client Rick N harvested this Bull, he stated this in his email to me.

The... 519” bull taken 25 September 17 near Firth, Idaho. Approx. 12 yrs. old, teeth worn to nubs, injured in a fight with younger bull who took over the harem. Antlers weigh 90 lbs.

Waiting for certification….may be #3 or #4 typical Rocky Mtn. Elk on record.

Next Sunday will be cooking some elk, very excited

cbtengr
11-06-2017, 06:17
WOW! That is a massive rack. I wonder what percentage of elk reach that age.

JJ_BPK
11-06-2017, 07:03
Congratulations RICK,
Awesome Trophy..

:lifter:D:lifter

Box
11-06-2017, 07:10
That is an incredible beast. The thought of some stew, chili, butterfly steaks....

wow

Sohei
11-06-2017, 07:17
That is a beautiful animal! For many, a once-in-a-lifetime hunt....

mark46th
11-06-2017, 08:49
A really big bull!

bblhead672
11-06-2017, 09:00
Wow. Great rack. Congrats to the hunter.

Badger52
11-06-2017, 15:44
Just.... wow. Thanks for sharing those pics with us.

sfshooter
11-06-2017, 18:35
At this time I would be happy with a 360 and dream of getting a 400 class bull. And when the shoulder season starts than a cow would be just fine.
That is one massive bull and a rarity for sure! Congratulations!

Joker
11-06-2017, 19:52
That is nothing but a bunch of bull! :lifter

TOMAHAWK9521
11-07-2017, 08:43
Any chance I get to say "Nice rack!!" in a public forum is always refreshing. :lifter :D

BigJimCalhoun
11-08-2017, 18:18
, injured in a fight with younger bull who took over the harem.
Maybe I just see the glass as "half empty" but as much as an accomplishment of the harvest, as I get older, I gravitated to the quote above.

Penn
01-28-2018, 18:05
Record update on the Bull elk

Guymullins
01-29-2018, 06:38
As a matter of interest, where would it sit in the Rowland Ward book?

Team Sergeant
01-29-2018, 16:00
I'd rather have #1 record for best tasting Elk meat..........;)

(I would never hunt just for a trophy, I hunt/fish to eat.) ;)

Badger52
01-29-2018, 17:28
As a matter of interest, where would it sit in the Rowland Ward book?I found a Rowland Ward PDF on the net with a "maximum" measurement for the North American Wapiti of 70 1/4. Their formula is obviously pretty simplistic, might want to know what that measurement is & compare to identical measurement portion that makes up SCI.

Whatever it is, 520 is a gorgeous animal.
Although, like TS, I'll happily put that big mature cow in my freezer any day.

twistedsquid
01-29-2018, 17:41
I'm just curious as I've never eaten elk other than jerky. Is old elk meat tastier than that from a younger animal? I would think it would be tougher, more grizzled and gamier but the yield must be higher. I guess one can stew just about anything.

sfshooter
01-29-2018, 19:37
I really think that depends on the person. I myself have never eaten a bad elk and that is from old bull to cows. But, I don't mind eating mule deer either yet there are a lot of hunters around here who do not like the meat at all. Run into the same with antelope. Some people won't eat them yet I think they are the most succulent meat for my area (ok tough go between them and elk).
The antelope complaint is people say they taste too much like sage. Lots of farms in my area so they have better choices than sage as a sole diet. Mule deer complaint is they are too gamey.

Badger52
01-29-2018, 20:19
I really think that depends on the person. I myself have never eaten a bad elk and that is from old bull to cows.Ditto. Last bull I had was not an old monster but fully mature - wonderful. I've heard the same about other animals you mentioned & often wonder how well it was taken care of right after the shot. You can make a farm-fed whitetail taste like crap if you don't do your part.

Penn
03-06-2018, 06:39
We cook a lot of game meat, if fact a few members on this board have even delivered every animal mentioned.

That said, and with regard to taste, gameness, texture, and preference. We would argue it is a matter of cooking technique and experience. For example, you can and we have, broken down thighs of Goat, Elk, and all Deer, into individual muscle groups. Removed the facia/silver skin, and further sectioned them, by cutting the meat into loin shaped portions. The purpose of the this process, was to cook the meat as we cooked the loins. Edge to edge sear, rare/medium rare. The meat sliced crossed grain and thin, 3/8" at most, is incredibly tender for the cut.

Taste is approached by pairing the meat with those vegetables and sauces that counter balance or enhance the taste. A very gamy bird/Elk/Deer, is best address through a sauce reduction that includes alkaline/sugar. A great poor mans port wine reduction is easily made by adding wine to a cooked mirepoix and then sugar to the wine and reducing, before adding your stock. It does wonders for strong game flavors.

The additional use of tarragon, fennel, and other aromatic herbs and fruits, like figs, dates, apple, plums, peaches, when combined with roasted root vegetables, create compotes that will compliment any game.