PDA

View Full Version : Posers be Dammed!

Archer06
01-21-2005, 11:25
Two sides of the coin.

Incident Number one
While sitting at a café in Central VA with my family a man stands up and says how his bones are aching, loud enough fro everyone to hear. I make eye contact and he continues ‘Fell out of my tree stand, but being a good paratrooper, I put my feet and knees together”… Blah, blah, blah you get the point.

Well being an avid deer hunter I decide to further the conversation so I ask about his time with the military and he goes on to chronicle a list of assignments that would make most soldiers green with envy. He caps it off with “then I finished out with 5th GP.” Great now you really have my attention. I am feeling the love- this SF brother now have common ground and I envision that he and I are going to be putting up Tree Stands soon. He might even give me the keys to the back 40 on his farm for exclusive hunting rights- I fantasize.

So I start to ask all the right questions. Which BN? What years? Who was your SGM? I get the following answers- “I need a moment- I lost my composer- The pain”, “That was a long time ago.”, and Pure silence. Well he pays his tab leaves and I look across the table at my wife who rolls her eyes, says “Poser” and then begs me to drop it so it doesn’t ruin out afternoon.

Incident Number two.
On our way to the Inaugural Presidential Commander in Chief Ball we were riding the Metro (Necessary Evil when trying to get into a city that has all of its streets blocked for security). My wife and I are transferring to the Red line and I am uncomfortable as hell. I hate Dress blues to Begin with and being in Public like that just doesn’t sit right with me. In any case there we where feeling like thousands of eyes are on me and feeling a little self conscious when I notice a small little guy wearing and old Khaki jacket with a SF unit patch sewn on it. I decide to let it go.

After a few minutes the train arrives and we get on- with the little guy I had just noticed a few minutes before. Now he notices me. The first thing he does is extend his hand and asks “What group where you in?” I tell him and then he lists his units and assignments and Tours of Duty including SOG. We chat for a while and share some well wishes in the midst of all the party goers and commuters. AS his stop approaches he invites me to join the SF association local Chapter- Chapter 11, shakes hands with me one more time, and departs.

My wife looks at me and asks “Do you feel better? That makes up for the other day.”

Man I hate posers. You can tell them in a second. Do the right thing all the time because if you don’t you look like a Fool like number one did, and because there maybe a quite humble warriors amongst us- watching.

drawbreaker
01-21-2005, 16:07
I am new to this site and am a little nervous about posting. I am a three time No-Go from SFAS (class 07-03, 02-04 and 07-04) but I intend to go back as soon as the Cadre forget my name. I have seen many SF Posers both in my hometown and around my duty stations. I used to not think much of it until I came face to face with the challenges of Phase 1. Now, granted, that's JUST Phase One, but I figure anyone who can get through that beast without getting eaten by the drawmonster or assesing themselves out and STILL have the intestinal fortitude to carry on and complete the other Phases has the right to stand talll WITHOUT worrying about posers trying to stand tall with him. Ya'll are a special breed and posers be damned for trying to take that without going through it themselves. I now go back to being quiet and watching and learning.

The Reaper
01-21-2005, 17:10
I am new to this site and am a little nervous about posting. I am a three time No-Go from SFAS (class 07-03, 02-04 and 07-04) but I intend to go back as soon as the Cadre forget my name. I have seen many SF Posers both in my hometown and around my duty stations. I used to not think much of it until I came face to face with the challenges of Phase 1. Now, granted, that's JUST Phase One, but I figure anyone who can get through that beast without getting eaten by the drawmonster or assesing themselves out and STILL have the intestinal fortitude to carry on and complete the other Phases has the right to stand talll WITHOUT worrying about posers trying to stand tall with him. Ya'll are a special breed and posers be damned for trying to take that without going through it themselves. I now go back to being quiet and watching and learning.

DB:

Thanks for the kind words.

I hate to tell you this, but after three tries, you will need a waiver.

The cadre will also never forget your name, because every SFAS record of every student is kept there for your return, and a database has all of the classes you have attended.

If you get another shot, you better be ready, because odds are they will not want to see you a fifth time and you will be NTRed, if you are not already.

PM me if you have any questions.

Your plan to be quiet, watch and learn is a good one.

Gents, every month (every day, lately), I see posts or get PMs from some heroes who have failed to read the stickies and are planning their SF career 10-20 years out, or what they are going to do after they complete ROTC and become the Army Chief of Staff.

As you can see here, this is not an easy road, attrition in the past four years from SFAS has run from a high of 77% to as little as 20% for one very special class. Odds are better than even that any particular individual will not make it through Selection.

Quit asking if you can go to Ranger, or CDCQ, or MFF schools. Schools are for you to learn a skill that you need to do your job, not for you to collect shiny badges to impress your friends. If you need a school, the Army will send you to it. Only exceptions are for courses like SFAS, and when slots are left over from the people who need it. Most of the best SF guys wear a uniform with few, if any badges affixed. They let their performance and reputation speak for them. They need no badges to impress others.

Stop assuming that you are going to be an SF Soldier just because you signed an 18X contract or are going to graduate from ROTC. A lot of plans fail, and a lot of thngs happen in a few years to change the goals that you have. Set out to complete the course or be carried out of it, never lose sight of your goals and quit, but have another plan for what you want to do, and quit asking or telling people what you are going to do before, during, or after SF. You need to focus on the 25 meter target, be that ROTC, High School, Basic, or SFAS.

A fast run time or a good bench press does not equal success at SFAS or in the SFQC. We are looking for the total package, the "whole man". Intelligence, physical fitness, and the right attitude are all equally important. All of the bluster and bragging in the world will not move you one meter closer to the next point when you are out in those woods for days on end with the big green tick on your back, feet that are killing you, and miles to go before you rest.

All you can do is to prepare yourself as best you can, be quiet, watch, and learn, and roll the dice by giving it your best effort along with everyone else. The soldiers who make it do that. IMHO, those who talk the most, generally do the least.

Good luck.

TR

aricbcool
01-21-2005, 19:28
Reaper,

Very inspiring advice. Thank you.

--Aric

12B4S
01-26-2005, 03:06
drawbreaker..... TR is dead on as usual. I went through SFTG in 1969. Stuff changes, ONE thing that doesn't change is what the cadre is after, what the training, the qualifications are all about. I was fortunate at that time where all my insrtructors had several years combat experience. I remember just running the obstacle course in august.....hot....humid. At the time, we were the second class to run it, the first to run it after completely finished at that time. They lifted and wrote a number under our top left fatigue pocket flap. Explanation being....... you'll be lucky to remember your name, let alone a number. Turned out to be kinda true, as I watched guys given saline injections and put in the meat wagons. Out on that course, I helped a guy on one of obstacles ( we called it the tables). This guy looked like he had been born in Gold's Gym, then there was me, 6'4 155 skinny guy. He freaked on the obstacle. I helped him part way up and he got through, knowing we were also being timed.
If you mentioned why you are going back for the 4th time, having to leave after the other attempts, I missed it. Injuries?... Mental attitude? At any rate, if you need to keep trying.... and it isn't the mental thing, that is commendable.
I'll add my Good Luck as well

drawbreaker
01-26-2005, 09:26
TR,

Injuries. Getting too confident and trying to go too fast is what happened. I forgot the golden rule: Paitience is Everything. I have reclassed into 11B w/Airborne follow on to get some line experience and more maturity. I sincerly hope to go back in two years and that is what I'm working for. (Two years is the timeline I figured out for personal and professional growth.) In the menatime, I plan to learn from this site, and keep my mouth shut for the most part.

DB

CPTAUSRET
01-26-2005, 14:45
TR,

Injuries. Getting too confident and trying to go too fast is what happened. I forgot the golden rule: Paitience is Everything. I have reclassed into 11B w/Airborne follow on to get some line experience and more maturity. I sincerly hope to go back in two years and that is what I'm working for. (Two years is the timeline I figured out for personal and professional growth.) In the menatime, I plan to learn from this site, and keep my mouth shut for the most part.

DB

DB:

I admire your spirit, good luck.

Take what TR said to heart.

drawbreaker
01-27-2005, 11:25
Roger, and thank you Sir.

Roguish Lawyer
01-27-2005, 12:07
Good luck, DB.

MinerDiver
01-27-2005, 16:54
1. Posers come in many forms - some that wish and want to be us, and others that are us. Those that wish - we can identify rather quickly and blow off. My issue is with the ones that have the tab and not only "enhance" what they thought they might have done - but bring it to the point of stupidy.

2. You have a good wife.

3. You must have looked ravishing in your blues...

----------------

Show me the leader and I will know his men. Show me the men and I will know the leader.

Aurthur. W. Newcomb

CRad
01-28-2005, 12:13
All you can do is to prepare yourself as best you can, be quiet, watch, and learn, and roll the dice by giving it your best effort along with everyone else. The soldiers who make it do that. Good luck.

TR

Even after more than two decades of being around them SF soldiers still have the ability to ability to reply to a question that makes me want to stand up, applaud, and call "Good Answer! Good Answer!"

IMHO, those who talk the most, generally do the least.

"When all is said and done it's what's done that counts." a 7th SFG(A) CWO-4

Ockham's Razor
01-31-2005, 23:16
"Quit asking if you can go to Ranger, or CDCQ, or MFF schools. Schools are for you to learn a skill that you need to do your job, not for you to collect shiny badges to impress your friends. If you need a school, the Army will send you to it. Only exceptions are for courses like SFAS, and when slots are left over from the people who need it. Most of the best SF guys wear a uniform with few, if any badges affixed. They let their performance and reputation speak for them. They need no badges to impress others."

Originally posted by The Reaper.

I just want to add on here for those of you who are joining right now. (Please delete if it's not my place.) Most combat arms MOS's are going to newly structured UA's (Unit's of Action). They have NO time or patience to be handling 4187's for schools and such. You might be able to get Ranger (11B or 19D) but that is a very small percentage. As always, it depends on the Unit. I'm in the first Unit of Action to be deployed so we have an inordinate amount of attention to making sure every Soldier is present and not away without cause. I.E. MFF, Pathfinder, Sniper, etc... Those that need to go or qualify are told so, as TR stated. Put it this way, UA's are trying to formulate under an entirely new structure and are trying to get the schooling in that they are required from higher for their Soldiers. Most of this is in house and they want to make sure they get this done before even considering a 4187. That comes from higher so don't expect to get around that.

Keep this in mind, those that are going to enter service to try "as soon as you get in".

Hope that was helpful.

Ian

magician
02-01-2005, 00:02
young man, I respect you for having the balls to try out three times.

good luck with your fourth.

12B4S
02-01-2005, 01:06
young man, I respect you for having the balls to try out three times.

good luck with your fourth.

I agree. May get some flack for this, but putting the physical aside, it's about your mentality. Crap, now I entered something more than I can type. As far as waivers and all, I know TR gave ya that info. But what happened in those last 3 attempts? You mentioned injuries and "getting to fast" whatever that means. Of the 3 attempts, how many were injury and "getting to fast"?

drawbreaker
02-01-2005, 09:26
The first try was a med drop. They said I fell out with a high core temp. I really don't remeber much. The second time I broke my ankle getting lost in Hoffman. It was the third night and the docs said it wasnt bad enough for a med drop, but because land nav was over, and I had been picked up off the course I had to sign a VW statment. On the third attempt, I was in the top percentile I'm pretty sure (except for Nasty Nick), was a hut leader, posted high run times, high ruck times etc. I was doing pretty well up until the last night of the star. It was wet, I was tired and not paying attention. I went up a draw on my feet and came down on my neck. (I feel like a real puss typing this now by the way). The Cadre talked to me afterwards and told me to reapply in six months to a year.
The endsate of the matter is this; It was concentrating on the tab and beret too much and not paying enough attention to what I was actually doing. Stupid, rookie mistakes and not enough concentration is why I didn't make it. Going too fast, thinking I knew it all because I had "Been there before". Dumb Mistakes. I truly hope to gain the experience and maturity in the next few years so that I can go back and get it done. Until then, I'll just sit back and learn all I can from this site.

12B4S
02-03-2005, 21:49
drawbreaker, anyone could get hurt at at anytime for any reason, going through training. Don't beat on yourself for that. Keep it simple, forget the endzone, take it play by play. You are shooting for your fourth try... that is admirable.. good luck!!

t-rex2025
02-07-2005, 07:37
I will never understand why someone would try to improve there self image by pretending to someone they are not. It does not make any sense to me why someone would want to endure the shame and humiliation. Some physiatrist believe it could be related to a mental illness because like an addiction even when an individual is discovered he moves on and continues his facade somewhere else.

From my own personal accounts:

While an NQP at 3/20 SFGA, I recall an AGR MSG who was the Battalion operations NCO for years had fooled the entire battalion. This individual had earned his tap (Paper Tab), but had also decided to put on a few other enhancing awards that were not earned such as a CIB, 101st Combat Patch earned during Vietnam, Master Parachute wings and a Ranger Tab. Since he had access to the majority of the unit files he made forgeries of orders from using other unit member’s files. He was in charge of the Battalion NQP program, he used to tell us all the time how weak and worthless we were and how we did not have what it takes to make it in SF, followed by a few heroic tales such as Ranger School and Jumpmaster School Honor Grad or his Bronze Star and Purple Heart from Vietnam which were all forgeries. He was challenged, charged and dismissed from the Guard and set off firestorms of doubt that hurt the entire unit. I lost motivation, felt betrayed and decided to give active duty a try, thus putting off SF for a few years.

Another account occurred during the Pipeline at SFQC. The individual was not in my squad but the word was, he was sporting a Ranger Tab and a combat scroll from 3rd Ranger BN and claimed to have been a veteran of Somalia. The phase was SUT and I am not sure if this is phase I or II these days, but apparently, the individual felt the cadre would grade him more favorably as a former Ranger qualified Combat veteran. It would have worked if not for the fact one of the cadre was a Somalia veteran and in 3rd BAT and did not remember the individual. The end result was an NTR from the course and I think the individual got off easy.

This brings me to reason; I made this post to begin with. In the two pervious accounts I had been an observer and did not personally know the individuals. For the most part you think how stupid and move on. It affects you a different when you know the individual. Last May, before going to SF ANCOC, B Co 1/20SFGA conducted a routine drill (Mortar Training). I was happy to see that the unit had picked up a few more individuals. One individual was an E6, 18E from 2/20 SFGA, who had moved and joined our unit. We were happy to have him. After ANCOC, our company conducted SFAUC training, we had to combine some two of our ODA’s to make up a team and the individual was on our team. The guy was not quite on his game did not really know too much about the radios and no one from 2nd BN remembered him except as an NQP. But, you don’t want to doubt a brother and you give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Since, the unit could not verify his records he is given the temporary rank of E4. He still wears his tap. Shortly after SFAUC, the truth comes out that the individual was dropped from the course. I expected to hear the individual had turned in his gear and was shown the door. Instead, the unit gave him 90 days to go to selection.

I will not reveal the individuals name on the site because I don’t feel its right. However, since you never know who is on the site, I hope he reads this post and get the message. I hope for his stake he does the right thing before he shows his face as an NQP at our next drill. In my option he does not deserve the honor to go to selection as others who have worked hard to get a shot. If he should get to go, I wish him all the luck in the world at the Q-Course because he will need it when the cadre is informed about this candidate true character. In the event he makes it, He will still not have earned my respect. Because Posers rely on badges, tabs, medals that were never earned only bought. As well as frabricated tales to go with there big ego's to get respect, but the quiet professionals earns it though actions and deeds not the shiny stuff on you chest.

SP5IC
02-08-2005, 22:02
Lads, I've been duped by the best. Go to page 407-409 of Burkett's book, Stolen Valor. John Gallagher was a fixture around SFA Chapter XI for a decade. In the ten years I knew him he went from a humble SGT w/ a SS to a SSG with three SSs. He went from an A-Team puke (like me) to a Soggie, to a Son Tay Rader to a POW. The guy was a wheel mechanic who tried or did a stint in the SF Guard or Reserve. He was a very good listener. He was a total fake/flake. He bilked a bunch $$$ as well. I/we went from total trust of a claimant to total distrust because of the John Gallaghers. He lives east of Denver, and may be with the NEC...if it still exists. He is the worst I've known. Now, I've met a few hundred charlatians <so when do we get spell check?> at The Wall. Some of these creeps think that a Ranger tab or worse yet a SF tab, goes on the right shoulder. This gets my Irish up.

lksteve
02-08-2005, 22:21
He is the worst I've known. Now, I've met a few hundred charlatians <so when do we get spell check?> at The Wall...This gets my Irish up.

sharlaton...sharlatun...charlaton...charleston...b ut according to Webster's New World Collegiate Dictionary (Fourth Edition) it is spelled C-H-A-R-L-A-T-A-N...
and let the record show, getting your Irish up is not always a great achievement...

t-rex2025
03-14-2005, 07:40
I will never understand why someone would try to improve there self image by pretending to someone they are not. It does not make any sense to me why someone would want to endure the shame and humiliation. Some physiatrist believe it could be related to a mental illness because like an addiction even when an individual is discovered he moves on and continues his facade somewhere else.

From my own personal accounts:

While an NQP at 3/20 SFGA, I recall an AGR MSG who was the Battalion operations NCO for years had fooled the entire battalion. This individual had earned his tap (Paper Tab), but had also decided to put on a few other enhancing awards that were not earned such as a CIB, 101st Combat Patch earned during Vietnam, Master Parachute wings and a Ranger Tab. Since he had access to the majority of the unit files he made forgeries of orders from using other unit member’s files. He was in charge of the Battalion NQP program, he used to tell us all the time how weak and worthless we were and how we did not have what it takes to make it in SF, followed by a few heroic tales such as Ranger School and Jumpmaster School Honor Grad or his Bronze Star and Purple Heart from Vietnam which were all forgeries. He was challenged, charged and dismissed from the Guard and set off firestorms of doubt that hurt the entire unit. I lost motivation, felt betrayed and decided to give active duty a try, thus putting off SF for a few years.

Another account occurred during the Pipeline at SFQC. The individual was not in my squad but the word was, he was sporting a Ranger Tab and a combat scroll from 3rd Ranger BN and claimed to have been a veteran of Somalia. The phase was SUT and I am not sure if this is phase I or II these days, but apparently, the individual felt the cadre would grade him more favorably as a former Ranger qualified Combat veteran. It would have worked if not for the fact one of the cadre was a Somalia veteran and in 3rd BAT and did not remember the individual. The end result was an NTR from the course and I think the individual got off easy.

This brings me to reason; I made this post to begin with. In the two pervious accounts I had been an observer and did not personally know the individuals. For the most part you think how stupid and move on. It affects you a different when you know the individual. Last May, before going to SF ANCOC, B Co 1/20SFGA conducted a routine drill (Mortar Training). I was happy to see that the unit had picked up a few more individuals. One individual was an E6, 18E from 2/20 SFGA, who had moved and joined our unit. We were happy to have him. After ANCOC, our company conducted SFAUC training, we had to combine some two of our ODA’s to make up a team and the individual was on our team. The guy was not quite on his game did not really know too much about the radios and no one from 2nd BN remembered him except as an NQP. But, you don’t want to doubt a brother and you give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Since, the unit could not verify his records he is given the temporary rank of E4. He still wears his tap. Shortly after SFAUC, the truth comes out that the individual was dropped from the course. I expected to hear the individual had turned in his gear and was shown the door. Instead, the unit gave him 90 days to go to selection.

I will not reveal the individuals name on the site because I don’t feel its right. However, since you never know who is on the site, I hope he reads this post and get the message. I hope for his stake he does the right thing before he shows his face as an NQP at our next drill. In my option he does not deserve the honor to go to selection as others who have worked hard to get a shot. If he should get to go, I wish him all the luck in the world at the Q-Course because he will need it when the cadre is informed about this candidate true character. In the event he makes it, He will still not have earned my respect. Because Posers rely on badges, tabs, medals that were never earned only bought. As well as frabricated tales to go with there big ego's to get respect, but the quiet professionals earns it though actions and deeds not the shiny stuff on you chest.

Just got back from Demo Training with B/1/20 this weekend - As far as our Poser goes. It looks like we will not be seeing him anymore. No one has heard from him since he was exposed.

The Unit supply and Ops NCO are starting to get the statement of charges ready for issued equipment.

I just wonder how long it will take before the individual surfaces again? or where?

An interesting though occured to me. I wonder just how many posers are working contract Job?

I worked last year with MPRI and MVM. Most companies intending to hire require a background check and you must provide valid proof of who you are such as dd214's. Some like blackwater and Triple Canopy have assessments. But, bodies equal dollar signs to most companies and with the demand being so great some might have been allowed to slip by in order to achieve the year end bottom line!

Dustin03
04-10-2006, 16:42
Sorry to re-up an old thread, but I'm at an 11B mosq school, and I have a PFC wearing an SF tab, Ranger tab, and a 75th combat scroll. His claim to being a PFC is that he got in a fight with an officer. One day he's not wearing the Long Tab the next he is. Same goes with his CIB. He claims to be 11c, and 18c qual'd. got his combat scroll in Grenada, where he was with the 2/75th but wears basic wings with no mustard stain, claims he air assaulted in. I shot with him on the 240 range and he had no clue what was going on with the weapon. I also overeheard him talking to the instructors after day/night rifle quals where he shot less then 10 on the day fire.

Overall he is a pretty poor example of a soldier who would be wearing both tabs. In talking with him about various training it sounds like he has a lot of facts mixed up. He is deploying with 102nd out of Conetticut, I believe they are an engineer unit, going to a-stan under the 29th INF. IF anybody would like his name, PM me.

The Reaper
04-10-2006, 17:02
Sorry to re-up an old thread, but I'm at an 11B mosq school, and I have a PFC wearing an SF tab, Ranger tab, and a 75th combat scroll. His claim to being a PFC is that he got in a fight with an officer. One day he's not wearing the Long Tab the next he is. Same goes with his CIB. He claims to be 11c, and 18c qual'd. got his combat scroll in Grenada, where he was with the 2/75th but wears basic wings with no mustard stain, claims he air assaulted in. I shot with him on the 240 range and he had no clue what was going on with the weapon. I also overeheard him talking to the instructors after day/night rifle quals where he shot less then 10 on the day fire.

Overall he is a pretty poor example of a soldier who would be wearing both tabs. In talking with him about various training it sounds like he has a lot of facts mixed up. He is deploying with 102nd out of Conetticut, I believe they are an engineer unit, going to a-stan under the 29th INF. IF anybody would like his name, PM me.

If he was in Grenada for Urgent Fury, he would have to be at least 38 years old. Ask him if he has a DD 214 for his discharges. You might also ask him where he served in SF and on what ODAs.

Why would an 11C/18C be going to war with an Engineer unit?

TR

magician
04-10-2006, 17:13
...got his combat scroll in Grenada, where he was with the 2/75th but wears basic wings with no mustard stain, claims he air assaulted in.

This is false. No one "air assaulted" into Grenada, and particularly no one from 2/75.

The vast majority of 2d Batt participants jumped into Point Salines. A very few air landed. Very, very few.

Burn him down.

Dustin03
04-11-2006, 16:30
Sir, I will confront him with these facts ASAP. The "word" is, the unit allows him to wear it because they can't prove he hasn't earned it.

Any other questions I may ask him to stir the pot?

Dustin03
04-11-2006, 16:31
Why would an 11C/18C be going to war with an Engineer unit?

TR

OR at an 11B MOSQ course......

Warrior-Mentor
04-11-2006, 17:10
Sir, I will confront him with these facts ASAP. The "word" is, the unit allows him to wear it because they can't prove he hasn't earned it.

My take is that it's just the opposite.
You have to prove you've earned it.
The burden of proof isn't on the unit until they pursue UCMJ.

Guy
04-11-2006, 17:27
Overall he is a pretty poor example of a soldier who would be wearing both tabs. In talking with him about various training it sounds like he has a lot of facts mixed up. He is deploying with 102nd out of Conetticut, I believe they are an engineer unit, going to a-stan under the 29th INF. IF anybody would like his name, PM me.PM me his info...Conneticut is a small state...lmao:lifter

If he's in Mississippi...that's even worse!:D Country-folks don't mince words too much.

Stay safe.

Team Sergeant
04-11-2006, 17:31

Here's the "word" from a retired Master Sergeant:

Tell him the 1SGT wants to see his DD-214 and him. Tell him to be standing tall in the 1SGT's office NLT 0600 wearing full dress greens to include all the medals he has earned. Does this sound like to tough a thing to do? The first guy in his chain of command that out ranks him needs to have a look at his DD-214. Get it done.

WTF You have a unit with no one in charge? Are you a member of the same miltary I was? Not a senior NCO in the bunch? Are you part of an airsoft unit? You guys going Brokeback down there? Get some balls and confront the man.

Team Sergeant

Warrior-Mentor
04-12-2006, 00:08
WTF You have a unit with no one in charge? Are you a member of the same miltary I was? Not a senior NCO in the bunch? Are you part of an airsoft unit? You guys going Brokeback down there? Get some balls and confront the man.

Team Sergeant

Well said.

Dustin03
04-12-2006, 18:00
Roger that, I will nock that out ASAP. It's kind of hard because nobody at this school really wants to confront him, a few are from different Company's of the same Batt here with him but they really don't know on. I had a CPL who has attended Ranger school ask him various questions about the Ranger program, and he reported back to me that the man in question has no clue.

BTW he claims 7th GRP but doesnt know what his ODA was. :eek:

The Reaper
04-12-2006, 18:18

Bullshite!!

March him in to see the 1SG with his shit on and DD214 in hand.

TR

Team Sergeant
04-12-2006, 19:21
Bullshite!!

March him in to see the 1SG with his shit on and DD214 in hand.

TR

Make sure you get a picture of him in uniform. It will seal his fate during the Courts-Martial. :D

Airbornelawyer
04-12-2006, 20:15
1st Battalion, 102nd Infantry is an infantry outfit, part of the 26th Brigade, 29th Infantry Division (Light) (26th Brigade used to be the 26th "Yankee" Infantry Division).

POC for the battalion HHC:

290 Goffe Street
New Haven, CT 06511-3395
203-776-3100

Basicload
04-12-2006, 20:54
Well its a moot point now, but there are only two authorized scrolls (shoulder sleeve insignia for wartime service) for Grenada

1st bn 75th INF and 2nd BN 75th INF.

There was no Ranger Regt in 1983.

The 75th Infantry Regt (RGR) did not get activated until 1984 and was reclassed 75th RGR REGT in 1986...... 75th Rgr Regt Scroll=NO GO.

Sorry to clog the board with RGR crap....just wanted to put another round in the magazine to put this guy down with.

Daver
04-12-2006, 21:20

SFAS never forgets and getting back would be harder then what you experienced while you were there. Give me details of WHY you were dropped and maybe I can let you know if it's worth even trying again.

Daver
04-12-2006, 21:25
1st Battalion, 102nd Infantry is an infantry outfit, part of the 26th Brigade, 29th Infantry Division (Light) (26th Brigade used to be the 26th "Yankee" Infantry Division).

POC for the battalion HHC:

290 Goffe Street
New Haven, CT 06511-3395
203-776-3100

That's an easy call to make!

groundup
04-12-2006, 22:42
Ranger seems to be a pretty common "poser" tool. I know a guy that claims to be a Ranger. Went to Afghanistan with one of the Bat's. He was SCUBA qualified, EIB, and of course jump wings. He couldn't pass a PT test and had no RSS scroll. While on a deployment, someone called GA to find out more.

Had the same thing happen with someone I know - they called Ft Bragg to find out about someone claiming to be SF. He claimed that he was the youngest person to ever be SF (25 years ago). He claimed to also be a Ranger instructor. Later being Cadre at Q. He said he was a MFF instructor. His list of instructor courses was long. He was on NJSAR (New Jersey Search And Rescue). Usually you need to go to their school to get on a SAR team, but with all of those qualifications, they were ecstatic to have him. Come to find out he doesn't even know how to tie a figure 8. He, like so many others claimed to have a jump in to Grenada. Same guy that made the call was in the 82nd but didn't know who he was, so he asked his buddy who was in the unit that he claimed to be in and was actually in Grenada... more BS.

Have had two different Cops stop me claiming to be Marines. One claims that he had something like 890 jumps and two combat jumps. He said "we Marines don't use those Army parachutes, we use the long ones that are straight". I wanted to smack him. I asked him who with and he wouldn't give me a clear answer. I was trying not to get arrested, but I wanted to call his BS so I said "you never did a static line jump?" Another one claimed he was Force Recon and spouted out a dozen other units in a fury of words. Claimed he made GySGT in < 10 years. He was dumbfounded when I told him what I was doing. I was mantracking/signcutting at the tender age of 17 on the edge of an airport.

Being in recruiting, I have seen several people come in and say that they have more qualifications than they actually do. Expecting me to give them something special for it, if only a shocked look.

Being a poser is saying that you are ashamed of yourself. I am proud of what I have done.

Warrior-Mentor
04-13-2006, 10:29
He said he was a MFF instructor.

That's an easy one to verify or shoot down.
There's less than 560 MFFIs and we have a list of all of them.
JM

Dustin03
04-13-2006, 16:47
He threw out the "I dont have paperwork from active duty" line when i went up to him today. The instructors here at this school don't seem to care to do much about it. Tommorrow is graduation and his state CSM will be here for it. He claims he went to Honduras or Haiti with 7th group, and was also in Panama with the 2/75th.

Called my unit but the only tabbed guy there doesnt have any contacts in 7th anymore. I've considered calling SWC but don't have access to his SSN, all I have is his name.

Warrior-Mentor
04-13-2006, 16:57
Roger that, I will nock that out ASAP. It's kind of hard because nobody at this school really wants to confront him, a few are from different Company's of the same Batt here with him but they really don't know on. I had a CPL who has attended Ranger school ask him various questions about the Ranger program, and he reported back to me that the man in question has no clue.

No one EVER "forgets" what ODA they were on...EVER.

BULLSHIT FLAG HAS BEEN THROWN...

The Reaper
04-13-2006, 18:06
He threw out the "I dont have paperwork from active duty" line when i went up to him today. The instructors here at this school don't seem to care to do much about it. Tommorrow is graduation and his state CSM will be here for it. He claims he went to Honduras or Haiti with 7th group, and was also in Panama with the 2/75th.

Called my unit but the only tabbed guy there doesnt have any contacts in 7th anymore. I've considered calling SWC but don't have access to his SSN, all I have is his name.

Make a formal complaint to the CO or IG.

The IG will have to look into it.

I bet his state CSM doesn't show up to see him unless he happens to be there for someone else.

TR

Dustin03
04-13-2006, 18:10
It's a GO for the state CSM to be there, he is comming as a guest speaker. I'm looking into the contact info for he COC at Bragg, where they are MOBing at. He should be back on Bragg by saterday.....

18C Dad
04-13-2006, 18:30

Team Sergeant
TS - That was a classic response. Very succinct and clear with correct grammar and no explicit vulgarity. Just another reason that I enjoy this Forum. Nice work.

18 X Dad

scrateshooter
03-09-2007, 04:21
Claimed he made GySGT in < 10 years.

With the current war I am seeing more GySgts with less than ten years in.

82ndtrooper
03-09-2007, 06:01
As for posers, I've rarely run into anyone that claims SF, SOF, SEALs, or Ranger, but I did just last week have the opportunity to spot a fake SEAL sitting in the VA medical centers out patient pharmacy waiting on medications. Generally I find youngsters just back from OEF or OIF that have spilled their blood for this country and do not want to relive their incident that left them with an amputation, or blind, or in some cases, double amputee's. Their generally very quite, and very polite, and refer to any one that is older than them as "Sir" Very professional, and I do what I can to make their stay at the out patient pharmacy as painless as possible. I'll give them my number if it's before their number to be called, or if possible arrange for them to be wheeled to the car, the DAV bus, etc. I try to do just a little to show my appreciation for their sacrifice.

I sat across from a polite young Sergeant still in ACU's with an amputation from an VBID explotion on Route Irish, Iraq. Nice trooper, all smiles, even though he had lossed his leg. I didn't ask about the incident, its not my business, nor do I want to get him upset if he begins to talk about it. He offered up the story, but was more impressed by the young female specialist that won the Bronze star, and purple heart for her actions manning the .50 cal on the HUMVEE during some intense contact. He was more appreciative of her actions than anyone elses. Just goes to show that the women are fighting this war just as hard as the men in some places and some units. Good Juju.

As we were talking a rather poorely groomed man with a flight jacket on was grueling mad for the wait he had endure for his pain meds. On his flight jacket was a SEAL Team III patch and velcro Trident with someones names on it. I ask if he was with SEAL Team III, his reply was yes, "Got hit in Panama at Paitilla Airfield taking Noriega's lear jet out" WOW:eek: SEAL Team III didn't particpate in that raid at Paitilla, but I let it go. SEAL Team 4 had taken that assignment and I know one SEAL that was there and aided his budddy Carlos Moleda during the fire fight. I ask if he knew Carlos and this other SEAL, he said "It's a big community, cant know all of them" Fair enough, but IIRC it was a platoon of 16 men that lead that raid on the hangars...........how could he not know Carlos Moleda? or this other SEAL that was part of the 16 man platoon ? Carlos Moleda is now paralyzed from the waist down and is winning every decatholon and strong man championship for the handicapped. Any google search will show his accomplishments.

I then looked at the Trident with a name on his jacket as they called him to the window.............funny, the name they called at the window was not the name that was affixed to his flight jacket with velcro. How low:mad: