PDA

View Full Version : Security Force Advisor Brigade are geting GREEN BERETS ??????????

JJ_BPK
10-26-2017, 12:18
Tell me this is not true..

SFAB's are being issued green berets w/flash??

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

glebo
10-26-2017, 13:09
It's true. You should also see their spiffy shoulder sleeve insignia....If I find it, I'll post a pic

glebo
10-26-2017, 13:17
here ya go, this may not be the "official" ssi yet, however it's one being looked at:eek:

Yes, and a tab:confused:

Pete
10-26-2017, 13:39
Who the heck are they?

Mustang Man
10-26-2017, 14:00
Who the heck are they?

These guys from a bit back.
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52100

Looks like they gotta give em Green Berets as well... The whole stolen valor thing is gonna be really interesting when we have "honest" vets saying they were a Green Beret in the Army.

Box
10-26-2017, 14:05
soooo...... where is the source of them getting such headgear and unit SSI ?

Interesting

tonyz
10-26-2017, 14:16
The first link below is a general description.
On the right hand side of that 1st page are links with additional related stories right up to October 25, 2017.
I put a link to that latest October 2017 story below, too.
Interesting.

Army creates Security Force Assistance Brigade and Military Advisor Training Academy at Fort Benning

By U.S. Army Public Affairs
February 16, 2017

https://www.army.mil/article/182646/army_creates_security_force_assistance_brigade_and _military_advisor_training_academy_at_fort_benning

https://www.army.mil/article/195897/xviii_abn_commander_visits_armys_first_sfab

bblhead672
10-26-2017, 14:26
WTF? Who in the Army chain of command said a group other than Special Forces "Green Berets" should be issued green berets?

I hope this is some kind of joke or misunderstanding. This pisses me off even though I'm not a QP. Much as it would if the Navy decided that Sub Tender personnel could wear submarine qualification pins.

Badger52
10-26-2017, 14:44
From Tonyz's article linked above:
"This is a great experience for me. It's definitely an opportunity to [set myself apart] from my peers," said Staff Sgt. Shawna L. Ellis, a signal noncommissioned officer with the 1st SFAB.

Ellis is a multichannel transmissions systems operator-maintainer (25Q) by trade. She says being a part of the SFAB allows her to learn different aspects of the Army and receive training opportunities she never imagined.

"This is something way outside of my realm, and the guys in this room have taught me so much about the combat aspect, said Ellis. I love it here, and I wouldn't change anything about it," she said.

Confused. I thought I read about the advisors with Green Berets a long time ago when I was a little kid; they inspired me to do practice PLF's off the roof of my house & everything, drove my Mother nuts! Damn.

Inside 2 years double the number of Fakebook resumes with a picture of the beret and the words "was an advisor with the SF Assistance Brigade."

Difficult to imagine the Army SF chain sitting idle over this headgear choice; that thought is a bucket of cold water.

the squid
10-26-2017, 15:16
soooo...... where is the source of them getting such headgear and unit SSI ?

Interesting

Don't know about the berets, but those are their unit patches.

WarriorDiplomat
10-26-2017, 15:20
Tell me this is not true..

SFAB's are being issued green berets w/flash??

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Yes its true the GB's have given up our expertise to the SAGE Berets. IMO as we have discussed before the GO's probably barely recognize the description below is us and therefore have no inclination to fight this.

More to follow in the team room

From the SMA

Leaders,

There is a great career opportunity out there for Soldiers. The United States Army is working to fill the first of six Security Force Assistance Brigades. These SFABs are the Army’s newest units designed specifically to conduct security force assistance operations to train, advise and assist partner nation security forces in support of Combatant Command requirements worldwide. Our traditional brigades will focus on preparation for full-spectrum operations.

The first SFAB, consisting of highly skilled senior officers and noncommissioned officers with proven warfighting expertise, will be activated at Fort Benning, Georgia, in October 2017. These volunteers will lead the Army in combat readiness and excellence, while the unit will be optimized for the train, advise and assist mission, and will be built on infantry and armored brigade combat team models. Under the FORSCOM stable of deployable units, SFABs develop the capability and capacity of partnered security forces by conducting security force assistance activities to strengthen host government ability to defend itself from external and internal threats.

SFAB volunteers will receive the latest personal equipment and arrive to the battlefield using wheeled vehicles including a combination of up-armored HMMWVs, HMMWVs and LMTVs. Volunteers will receive a multitude of training to include common core operations, advising, communications, foreign weapons, and foreign language training, culminating with division-level sponsored capstone exercises at one of the Combat Training Centers prior to deployment.

Under the FORSCOM stable of deployable units, SFAB develops the capability and capacity of partnered security forces by conducting security force assistance (SFA) activities to strengthen host government ability to defend itself from external and internal threats.

The Chief of Staff of the Army’s intent for our SFAB's is to assign volunteers who are high performers with combat experience and who are branch qualified in their current grade. Pre-requisites for assignment to this Elite fighting force include:

1. Volunteer
2. Maintain a secret security clearance
3. Score 85 points on the Defense Language Aptitude Battery
4. Score at least 240 points on the Army Physical Fitness Test
5. Maintain your Deployable Status
6. Demonstrated Exceptional Moral Aptitude by upholding Army Values
7. Be branch qualified in your pay grade – We are looking for former squad leaders, section leaders, section chiefs and platoon sergeants.
8. All volunteers must have demonstrated excellence in past performance and be noted for exceptional potential.

Incentives for enlisted SFAB volunteers include a $5,000 lump sum Assignment Incentive Pay as long as they are permanently assigned to a SFAB and serve in the unit for at least 12 months. Additionally, the Soldier must be in good standing and not involved in the UCMJ process (to include Article 15s or court-martial proceedings), investigations, and must meet Army standards for retention (to include Army Physical Fitness Test and Army Body Composition Program) at the time of approval. Once permanently assigned, volunteers must remain in good standing throughout the AIP tour.

Our ability to train and operate effectively with partner nation forces in current and future conflicts will remain key to the successful application of 21st Century Land Power. If you have what it takes to join this highly selective, all-volunteer force, call or email your branch manager at Human Resources Command today. Soldier for Life!

Army Strong!
SMA

frostfire
10-26-2017, 15:57
Yes its true the GB's have given up our expertise to the SAGE Berets. IMO as we have discussed before the GO's probably barely recognize the description below is us and therefore have no inclination to fight this.

More to follow in the team room

From the SMA

Leaders,

There is a great career opportunity out there for Soldiers. The United States Army is working to fill the first of six Security Force Assistance Brigades. These SFABs are the Army’s newest units designed specifically to conduct security force assistance operations to train, advise and assist partner nation security forces in support of Combatant Command requirements worldwide. Our traditional brigades will focus on preparation for full-spectrum operations.

1. Volunteer
2. Maintain a secret security clearance
3. Score 85 points on the Defense Language Aptitude Battery
4. Score at least 240 points on the Army Physical Fitness Test
5. Maintain your Deployable Status
6. Demonstrated Exceptional Moral Aptitude by upholding Army Values
7. Be branch qualified in your pay grade – We are looking for former squad leaders, section leaders, section chiefs and platoon sergeants.
8. All volunteers must have demonstrated excellence in past performance and be noted for exceptional potential.

Incentives for enlisted SFAB volunteers include a $5,000 lump sum Assignment Incentive Pay as long as they are permanently assigned to a SFAB and serve in the unit for at least 12 months. Additionally, the Soldier must be in good standing and not involved in the UCMJ process (to include Article 15s or court-martial proceedings), investigations, and must meet Army standards for retention (to include Army Physical Fitness Test and Army Body Composition Program) at the time of approval. Once permanently assigned, volunteers must remain in good standing throughout the AIP tour.

Our ability to train and operate effectively with partner nation forces in current and future conflicts will remain key to the successful application of 21st Century Land Power. If you have what it takes to join this highly selective, all-volunteer force, call or email your branch manager at Human Resources Command today. Soldier for Life!

Army Strong!
SMA

IMHOO, from a bean counter perspective it is a cost effective option.
Yes the (different shade of) green is poor taste but perhaps a nod of respect to the original.

Compare to SF/SOF requirement and pipeline
To effectively advise and assist, does one really have to be Airborne, score 1100+ UBRR, have TS (now a messed up backlog), SERE level C, MFF, scuba and so on?
Cross thread point to another. I have met non tabbed soldiers and officers who are just excellent teacher and force multiplier . I am sure lots of you have too.

It reminds me of comment from Lodge act vets who were appalled when they saw two weeks in hell documentary. It’s too close to shock troop smoke fest vs. recruitment of “warrior teacher”

This is almost an attempt to challenge one of the SOF rule on mass production, except I don’t think the goal here is to create SOF.....

Definitely getting more than few slices of the pie though
Oh well, 3rd order effect from SOF= elite DA culture that have permeated over a decade I guess

PRB
10-26-2017, 16:41
We need real confirmation about the Beret...iotw, a DoD/DoA directive etc. before we go off.

This would be a serious issue for the GB Association to get involved in with Congressmen etc.

Those at Bragg please provide ground truth.....I do not care one whit about the shoulder patch.....just need to know about headgear.

ddoering
10-26-2017, 17:23
Give them a black beret. There are plenty of those laying around.

CDRODA396
10-26-2017, 17:41
Its my understanding that Milley is the mover behind the creation of these monsters, the beret and the tab.

As the story goes, he even wanted to call them the, "Security Force Assistance Group," until someone politely pointed out he probably didn't really want people running around referring to the "S-FAG" even in this day of political correctness. :D "They," say they are eventually going to be the "Security Force Assistance Regiment."

I thought Milley was one of us...

Team Sergeant
10-26-2017, 18:00
LOLOLOL

Everyone is special now. :munchin

Box
10-26-2017, 18:05
If this was the private sector, there would be a HUGE lawsuit for trademark infringement....

...but maybe this will give us more time to focus on shooting double taps from the 15-meter line and trying to get everyone MFF qualified.

The new guys will get to see how the old-school Ranger Regiment guys felt when the Army gave out black berets.
Diversity and Inclusion leaves little room for elitism.

Perhaps we should also give them a tab that says "Forces"

7624U
10-26-2017, 19:48
Its my understanding that Milley is the mover behind the creation of these monsters, the beret and the tab.

As the story goes, he even wanted to call them the, "Security Force Assistance Group," until someone politely pointed out he probably didn't really want people running around referring to the "S-FAG" even in this day of political correctness. :D "They," say they are eventually going to be the "Security Force Assistance Regiment."

I thought Milley was one of us...
Yep every thing ive read its all the Army cheif of staff doing gen milley

bblhead672
10-27-2017, 07:09
How about it saying "Special" instead

Something like this? :D

Box
10-27-2017, 08:17
airborne, ranger, special forces, mountain, sapper, presidents hundred, governors twenty, honor guard, combined division, jungle expert, pershing......

fuck it, lets give them their own tab whatever they want...

really special forces
advisory forces
general purpose forces
picking up the slack of special forces
...any of these might work

And as far as beret colors, fuck it - let them have the green - the army fucked over the rangers a while back - its our turn - lets just jump ship and start wearing a new color - something that fits the collective personality we have been slowly adopting over the last decade like maybe a beret made out of kydex

mark46th
10-27-2017, 08:29
They are getting Green Berets? Is that fucking Shinseki involved?

Box
10-27-2017, 08:37
They are getting Green Berets? Is that fucking Shinseki involved?

Even crazier is that the current CSA is a long tabber....

Team Sergeant
10-27-2017, 09:15
Even crazier is that the current CSA is a long tabber....

You sure about that?

The Reaper
10-27-2017, 10:16
You sure about that?

He wears it in his official photo, and claims 5th Group.

TR

TrapperFrank
10-27-2017, 11:18
Are these guys legs?

35NCO
10-27-2017, 13:21
What happened to min DLAB of 95? They lowered the bar for the guys required to speak the language? Then locked them all into minimal possible regions of language category?

The requirements seem to say they are looking for average soldiers. I can't see it being sustainable at those numbers of the available pool. It's also counter to conventional forces. How do you create regional experts when they are still pcsed regularly and their career path requires diverse assignments and mountains of mandatory training?

Too weird. But the good news is they are running out of "special recognition" and "good ideas" to go around. At least I hope so.

"Demonstrated Exceptional Moral Aptitude by upholding Army Values" ??

WarriorDiplomat
10-27-2017, 15:40
"Demonstrated Exceptional Moral Aptitude by upholding Army Values" ??

What I like about this is I would say good luck the seniors in the Army getting busted for inappropriate behavior, alcohol, women etc what was his name Petreus??....and somehow it didn't stop their upward mobility but these volunteers are expected to meet and uphold a standard leaders won't even follow......love it

Are their any females in this unit?

They are absolutely going to have average folks in this unit 4000 muldoons will be tough to fill with quality we can't even do it these days

It is key to remember that the U.S. Army does not believe that we are unique individuals drawn to the same sense of adventure and mission....driven to succeed where many would quit.....rugged and tough and smarter than your average bear.....

They have the same attitude as the Marine Corps that with training and a mission and everyday soldier can accomplish incredible things....

The rigors of GWOT and contracting world has always taken much of our talent from the Army and even we have been dragging the bottom of the barrel to find suitable candidates...where will they find them?

Box
10-27-2017, 15:47
I am certain the unit will have the requisite amount of females needed to be successful - in the absence of inclusion, failure is inevitable.

I am also certain that the unit will issue head coverings so these females can cover themselves when advising foreign armies that are offended by women with exposed heads.

WarriorDiplomat
10-27-2017, 16:15
I am certain the unit will have the requisite amount of females needed to be successful - in the absence of inclusion, failure is inevitable.

I am also certain that the unit will issue head coverings so these females can cover themselves when advising foreign armies that are offended by women with exposed heads.

Oh yeah the unsilent minority

I am however curious if they have a plan of how to handle a female who gets pregnant like we do?

EricV
10-27-2017, 17:09
https://www.change.org/p/special-operations-command-stop-issuance-of-the-green-beret-to-the-u-s-army-1st-security-force-assistance-brigade?utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_signer_receipt&utm_campaign=triggered&share_context=signature_receipt&recruiter=821818636

Bechorg
10-27-2017, 18:28
Madame Ambassador of semi-permissive country, this is my squad of junior enlisted who will have alcohol related incidents and kill a stripper in their first month in country.

Not saying that is anything out of the norm for us, we just know how to cover it up.

WarriorDiplomat
10-27-2017, 19:23
Madame Ambassador of semi-permissive country, this is my squad of junior enlisted who will have alcohol related incidents and kill a stripper in their first month in country.

Not saying that is anything out of the norm for us, we just know how to cover it up.

And there in lies the problem because the ambassador may just say hey why not it can't get any worse.....in the age of social media much like the Odama bin laden raid little is concealed anymore

As long as we think this is the difference that the highest order of professional are just better at covering up things then it explains why the Army may think this is a needed capability

JJ_BPK
10-27-2017, 19:59
https://www.change.org/p/special-operations-command-stop-issuance-of-the-green-beret-to-the-u-s-army-1st-security-force-assistance-brigade?utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_signer_receipt&utm_campaign=triggered&share_context=signature_receipt&recruiter=821818636

Sign BOTH petitions.

Change org has 18K+ in 10 hours
The WH petitionn only 222???

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/stop-issuance-green-beret-us-army-1st-security-force-assistance-brigade

Spread both around..

EricV
10-27-2017, 20:16
Sign BOTH petitions.

Change org has 18K+ in 10 hours
The WH petitionn only 222???

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/stop-issuance-green-beret-us-army-1st-security-force-assistance-brigade

Spread both around..

Done.

7624U
10-28-2017, 07:12
I have a ppt at work showing the task org it looks familiar oh yea just like a ODA with two of every mos. And only 6 weeks of training to be qualified.

Chucko
10-28-2017, 12:34
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34385&stc=1&d=1509215519
TAKE THIS, SFAB!!