PDA

View Full Version : New high bc 30 cal bullet

Brush Okie
10-15-2017, 22:03
Looks like Sierra has been doing some R&D .308 195 gr bulley with a bc of .610

6.5 with a BC of .713 :lifter

Thought you long range guys might apperciate that.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2017/10/new-ultra-high-bc-150-grain-6-5mm-mk-from-sierra/

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2016/11/sierra-introduces-new-195-grain-30-caliber-tipped-matchking/

JJ_BPK
10-16-2017, 09:08
Wondering if the 6.5 will fit the AR-10 Mag??
It's listed @ 2.825 OAL
Is that a bit long?

Brush Okie
10-16-2017, 09:26
Wondering if the 6.5 will fit the AR-10 Mag??
It's listed @ 2.825 OAL
Is that a bit long?

Be intresing to see if it fits. How long is the ppc case vs creadmore and 260 case?

JJ_BPK
10-16-2017, 10:41
I'm not a re-loader, but from past reading, it seems that to get hi numeric BC's, the bullet is drawn out with a shorter bearing area, thinner longer ogive and pointy meplat.

Typically this means work for the loading ramp and mag follower geometer.

The alternative is to lose case powder volume, by pushing the bullet further into the case.

Brush Okie
10-16-2017, 13:21
Yes but shorter case means generally shorter oal everything else being the same. I have not reloaded any 6.5 so speaking general terms. Taking up case volume is not always bad espically with light loads.

Team Sergeant
10-16-2017, 14:01
What's a 6.5 ?:munchin

Brush Okie
10-16-2017, 14:08

Any of the 6.5 bullets and cases. The 6.5 gets its high bc from generally long lenght vs diameter. Not having reloaded them i am not familar with the bullets ezcept from reading and talking to shooters that like them. The 6.5 also has a reputation for penetration and killing power better than what you would expect.

I had a 6.5x55 in high school and a couple years after but was not knowledgeable enough to really understand what i had. Wish i still had that rifle.

Team Sergeant
10-16-2017, 14:14
J/K

I know what it is and I'll stick to my .300, really like it. ;) For small stuff, I'll keep the 556.

JJ_BPK
10-16-2017, 14:39

A bastard..

They started with the 307 (308 with big rim), designed for level actions,, it failed.

Then after a couple tries, they necked it to .264/6.5, trimmed the rim, and called it 6.5 creedmoor

It is currently the darling of the long range competition crowd.

120 years ago the 6.5x55 Swedish, with a 160gr, had similar results..

The 6.5C has some 50inch less drop at 1K than the 308..

sfshooter
10-16-2017, 19:21
Berger has a better bc bullet than Sierra in the .30 / .300 win mag weight.

The following article is on the .300 Norma but it is nice to see how well the .300 win mag holds up to the .338 lapua.

Like Team Sergeant I am a fan of the .300 win mag for big stuff and 5.56 for smaller stuff.

https://www.accuracy1st.com/content/docs/Binder7.pdf

Peregrino
10-16-2017, 21:31
I'm looking forward to seeing the results when the guys finish sorting out the ongoing 6.5 Creedmoor vs. 260 Remington discussion. I'll be adding the winner to my "stable" and maybe looking into Precision Rifle competition as another way to deny my potential heirs any hope of an inheritance.

Team Sergeant
10-17-2017, 15:21
Berger has a better bc bullet than Sierra in the .30 / .300 win mag weight.

The following article is on the .300 Norma but it is nice to see how well the .300 win mag holds up to the .338 lapua.

Like Team Sergeant I am a fan of the .300 win mag for big stuff and 5.56 for smaller stuff.

https://www.accuracy1st.com/content/docs/Binder7.pdf

Trying to find a hunting bullet with the best BC is the issue...... you need to do your homework as far as accuracy vs knockdown power.

sfshooter
10-17-2017, 19:22
I agree Team Sergeant. There is a big difference in the ballistic coefficient of a match round versus a hunting round that will inflict the most damage. I finished my antelope hunt last week and shot an average buck at 260 yds away. I was using my SPR build with 55 grain Hornady V-Max. I missed the heart but the wound was mortal with just that one shot. Pinpoint accuracy would have been better obtained with the 77 gr SMK but not near as much internal damage would have been recorded.
Finding a good hunting round for my .300, which is just a stock Weatherby, that has the accuracy and the knockdown is still an ongoing evaluation. Hopefully within the year I will have begun on my precision .300 Win Mag build.

Brush Okie
10-17-2017, 20:35
I agree Team Sergeant. There is a big difference in the ballistic coefficient of a match round versus a hunting round that will inflict the most damage. I finished my antelope hunt last week and shot an average buck at 260 yds away. I was using my SPR build with 55 grain Hornady V-Max. I missed the heart but the wound was mortal with just that one shot. Pinpoint accuracy would have been better obtained with the 77 gr SMK but not near as much internal damage would have been recorded.
Finding a good hunting round for my .300, which is just a stock Weatherby, that has the accuracy and the knockdown is still an ongoing evaluation. Hopefully within the year I will have begun on my precision .300 Win Mag build.

A couple options in heavy .308

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/2160/308-dia-180-gr-SBT

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/2165/308-dia-200-gr-SBT

My favorite for out to 600m or so Does what I want in a 30-06 but then again I do not hunt long range for the most part.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/2145/308-dia-165-gr-SBT

sfshooter
10-18-2017, 20:04
The .308 is a good round, no doubt about it, but I live in big country and the largest game animal I hunt every year is an elk (haven't drawn a moose tag yet). Most of the country I hunt in is fairly open and the possibility of having to make a 600yd + shot at one is not out of the question. The .300 win mag has a lot more energy left at longer distances than the .308.
There are a lot of different calibers that people use around here (.270, 7mm mag, .300 short mag, .30-06, etc.) and most seem effective against the game but then a lot of their precision usually is counted by how many rounds you can have in the air going towards the targeted critter.:D

Brush Okie
10-18-2017, 21:06
The .308 is a good round, no doubt about it, but I live in big country and the largest game animal I hunt every year is an elk (haven't drawn a moose tag yet). Most of the country I hunt in is fairly open and the possibility of having to make a 600yd + shot at one is not out of the question. The .300 win mag has a lot more energy left at longer distances than the .308.
There are a lot of different calibers that people use around here (.270, 7mm mag, .300 short mag, .30-06, etc.) and most seem effective against the game but then a lot of their precision usually is counted by how many rounds you can have in the air going towards the targeted critter.:D

For some reason everyone thinks you need a super mag to kill squirrels. You don't. the 30-30 has killed a lot of stuff, you just have to get close enough.

There is a difference between field/hunting accuracy and match accuracy. Ask yourself this then try it under field conditions, not the range. How far can you consistently with the first shot hit a pie plate? Put a pie or paper plate out 300 yards run a bit then shoot it. Can you hit it not once in a while but all the time? If you can do the same thing at 400 yards etc. Set up the plate then jog back to your firing point then shoot before your heart rate goes down.

I am not saying you can not hit big game at long range. I don't know you and can not judge, but may people think because they shoot well out to 4-500 yards at the range with a good rest they are capable of killing game in the field that far. Most people are not.

After you determine YOUR max range then look at what bullet will suit you best.

Another thing. Know your rifle. I used to hunt with a guy that knew the drop etc of his hunting rifle and I witnessed 400yard head shots consistently in the field. The man was rare in the shooting world. He shot 1000 rounds a week. (he was divorced and that is all he did) Knowing your gear is more important than having the latest and greatest. Dont get me wrong, I am a gear whore myself.

Ralize that bullets are designed to expand at a specific velocity window. A .308 bullet hitting game at 2500fps will act very different than the same bullet at 3000fps. If you shoot an Elk at 50 yards with a 300 mag it bight not penetrate because it was designed for controlled expansion at a lower velocity. Same goes the other way. Hitting an Elk at 500 yards you might loose so much velocity that it will not reliable expand. With newer bullet designs they can be more forgiving but the rule still holds and is something to think about.

For match shooting all that goes out the window and all you worry about is accuracy and retains velocity for long range since dropping below sonic range tends to destabilize the bullet and lessen accuracy.

Any way I will quit rambling.

frostfire
10-19-2017, 10:47
I'm looking forward to seeing the results when the guys finish sorting out the ongoing 6.5 Creedmoor vs. 260 Remington discussion. I'll be adding the winner to my "stable" and maybe looking into Precision Rifle competition as another way to deny my potential heirs any hope of an inheritance.

LMAO what a tough love legacy to raise financially independent descendants

I though that debate is settled with the quality, availability and pricing for commercial 6.5 CM
No need to roll your own for sub .5 moa, and bout same price as match .308
Me and my buddy actually loaded 6.5 back in 06. Didnít know what we really had back then. Just some wild cat flat rounds

.300 winmag must have nice terminal ballistic...
But at the price of lunch per round and under upper 2000 barrel life???
Now thatís one way to deny inheritance

Iím just a steel and paper poker, but I figure the 2 legged animal variant does not have as much adrenaline burst as big game and even at 1500 yds the 6.5 is sufficient to give permanent distraction

Team Sergeant
10-19-2017, 13:27
For some reason everyone thinks you need a super mag to kill squirrels. You don't. the 30-30 has killed a lot of stuff, you just have to get close enough.

Any way I will quit rambling.

Good thanks. I'm not hunting squirrels with my .300 and I have a 30-30 for short range deer hunting. First deer killed with it dropped faster then hillary's prez bid. It was dead before it hit the ground.

:munchin