PDA

View Full Version : Randall Model 14 (w/McPherson grip?)

Trip_Wire (RIP)
01-20-2005, 17:30
Bill here are some pics of the Randall with that grip. It seems to lend itself to using the index finger over the hilt and the middle finger in the slot on the lefy side in the grip.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
01-20-2005, 20:30
Attached PicsL

Sacamuelas
01-20-2005, 20:38
Very nice Trip wire. Great knives and good pics too.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
01-21-2005, 01:12
Very nice Trip wire. Great knives and good pics too. YOu know you can tell some personal info about you from those pics right?

I edited them for you below. Just trying to be helpful. You can delete the originals if its a concern or leave them up. Your call.

Thanks anyway, but I'm not to worried. At 74 years old, I doubt that I'll get recalled or get a chance to go back on active duty. :D

I needed the closeups of the grips, for a question I had discussed with Bill Harsey on that kind of grip. The model #1 was just for fun.

Most people from my SFA Chapter would know who I was by reading my profile any way. :munchin

Jack Moroney (RIP)
01-21-2005, 06:38
Those Randalls look in great condition. Unfortunately one of mine had a bout with some salt water during Ranger School and sort of looks like John Kerry before his botox treatments. One of these days I think I have it cleaned up a little.

Jack Moroney

lrd
01-21-2005, 07:35
Those Randalls look in great condition. Unfortunately one of mine had a bout with some salt water during Ranger School and sort of looks like John Kerry before his botox treatments. One of these days I think I have it cleaned up a little.

Jack MoroneyYou're cracking me up, Sir.

A question for you all (and a slight hi-jack): does heavy, extended, all-around use of a knife with a compass in the handle affect the utility of the compass?

Bill Harsey
01-21-2005, 07:37
Trip Wire,
Thanks for posting the images of your knife. I don't think I've seen that handle on a Randle before.

Do you know what year that knife was made?

It is the one piece linen micarta-over the hidden tang construction common to the Randle shop (stating the obvious).I like the single finger groove and the curve on the bottom going to the end. This aids in knowing where the blade is when you can't see the knife in low light conditions.

I guess a little homework on my part is in order.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
01-21-2005, 09:15
You're cracking me up, Sir.

A question for you all (and a slight hi-jack): does heavy, extended, all-around use of a knife with a compass in the handle affect the utility of the compass?

I would think you might cut "something" you didn't want to if you used it to shoot and azimuth, make folks very nervous if someone said "which way LT, and you drew a knife to find out, or getting a good reading with it sitting on top of a steel shank. Other than that, probably not. :)

Jack Moroney

Tuukka
01-21-2005, 12:16
Not a Randall but influenced by them, especially the Model 18. Got it from my grandfather.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
01-21-2005, 13:21
I would think you might cut "something" you didn't want to if you used it to shoot and azimuth, make folks very nervous if someone said "which way LT, and you drew a knife to find out, or getting a good reading with it sitting on top of a steel shank. Other than that, probably not. :)

Jack Moroney

LOL! Yes sir, I have to agree with you on your Lt. drawing his knife. I must admit, I had the same thoughts about a compass sitting on top of a steel shank too. So on many occassions I checked the knife compass against GI issue ones and my own Silva and found that they indeed found North in the same direction. :p

I think my obsession with always having a compass on my person, goes back to a night jump into a flat, featureless area on moonless, starless night without a compass (I think it was in Idaho.) My issue compass wasn't present and I got separated during the jump. (Dumb, for not checking my stuff.) I still carry a compass to this day! Right now it's attached to my dive watch (Computer.)

Anyway when Randall offered the compass, (It was inexpensive.) I said why not? So I got it and thought I'll always try to wear the knife, in a manner that will allow me to have it separate from other gear that I might shed for the night, etc. (Sort of a survival item, never to be without.)

I don't think I would really trust it for formal land navigation or shooting a serious azimuth; however, a good general purpose survival item....and that's the rest of the story. :munchin

Trip_Wire (RIP)
01-21-2005, 13:36
Trip Wire,
Thanks for posting the images of your knife. I don't think I've seen that handle on a Randle before.

Do you know what year that knife was made?

It is the one piece linen micarta-over the hidden tang construction common to the Randle shop (stating the obvious).I like the single finger groove and the curve on the bottom going to the end. This aids in knowing where the blade is when you can't see the knife in low light conditions.

I guess a little homework on my part is in order.

Damn! I don't recall just when I bought that Model 14. I'm thinking it was in '68 or '69. I know that I was attending the Annual International Association of Bomb Technicians and Investigators meeting in Orlando, FL when I made the trip out to Randalls and bought it. The #1 came later and was mail ordered.

Speaking of the #1, although it is kinda fancy compared to the #14, I always thought that it felt better to me as a fighting knife then the #14. The #14 is; however, a better all purpose knife, chopping, (shudder...prying, etc.) The #14 is SS and the #1 is carbon steel.