PDA

View Full Version : Looking For A Two point Sling.

Longstreet
10-01-2017, 06:40
Jayson here and last weekend I was in the field and used an issued three-point sling. By Sunday I was unimpressed with it due to a number of reasons such as pain to setup/take down, the snap button on it kept coming undone, hard to readjust to different situations and most importantly uncomfortable. I noticed some guys were using their own single point slings and after speaking to them, they did not to deal with any of the issues I was experiencing.

So this week I started researching my options. After some reading I have zeroed in on a two point sling. The two contenders I have are a Blue Force Gear "Vicker's Sling" and a Magpul "MS1" sling. I know VTac also produces a similar sling, but there are no Vtac dealers in my area (to the best of my knowledge) and bringing one in from the US is a PITA - I live in Canada.

My reasoning for choosing these two companies is that I want to avoid the sling being made overseas. I have eliminated single point slings as from my readings, 2 point slings are more versatile and from what many have stated, they are more comfortable.

So I am now looking for any input from PS.com. I did some searches on this site and found information that confirmed what I have been reading which helped solidify my choices. There does seem to be more information and comments on the Vickers sling though. I am not certain if this is due to it being around longer as opposed to just Magpul making an inferior product. Both slings are about the same price. Please note that I am going for the simple non-padded models where you just thread the sling into the slot on the buttstock and sling swivel. Given that we do not train in armour, but just our tac-vests, would a padding be a worthwhile feature? Comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

jaYson

Combat Diver
10-01-2017, 09:11
For the last 20+ yrs using a side mounted 2 pt sling I just stick with a USGI silent sling. Once adjusted I've never found a reason to keep changing it. Big issue with single point slings is when dropped the gun is between my legs unless slung to side. If you run it just bounces on your jewels. Tried several point slings and we even made our own back in the mid 90s, keep going back to KISS, ie USGI.

CD

Box
10-01-2017, 09:22
I'd look on-line at Midway USA or Cheaper Than Dirt.

There is very little magic involved with a two point sling and both of those sites offer more than enough choice.

I have VTAC slings on most of my guns. Even my hunting rifle has a padded VTAC sling on it. I have old-school US Army issue style leather slings on two of my guns - everything else has a VTAC

frostfire
10-01-2017, 09:23
I've used 550 cord, usgi web, 3 and 2 point. 2 point worked across many platform
I think there's even a version where you can split one strand and carry the rifle like a backpack

Not sure if you have type of our posse commitatus, but if you can "get lucky" and catch someone in their alahu act and somehow put allusion to TS' aloha= ready, snckbar = up in the media photo op, I will send you my very own vtac padded 2 point!

:D

Jayson here and last weekend I was in the field and used an issued three-point sling. By Sunday I was unimpressed with it due to a number of reasons such as pain to setup/take down, the snap button on it kept coming undone, hard to readjust to different situations and most importantly uncomfortable. I noticed some guys were using their own single point slings and after speaking to them, they did not to deal with any of the issues I was experiencing.

So this week I started researching my options. After some reading I have zeroed in on a two point sling. The two contenders I have are a Blue Force Gear "Vicker's Sling" and a Magpul "MS1" sling. I know VTac also produces a similar sling, but there are no Vtac dealers in my area (to the best of my knowledge) and bringing one in from the US is a PITA - I live in Canada.

My reasoning for choosing these two companies is that I want to avoid the sling being made overseas. I have eliminated single point slings as from my readings, 2 point slings are more versatile and from what many have stated, they are more comfortable.

So I am now looking for any input from PS.com. I did some searches on this site and found information that confirmed what I have been reading which helped solidify my choices. There does seem to be more information and comments on the Vickers sling though. I am not certain if this is due to it being around longer as opposed to just Magpul making an inferior product. Both slings are about the same price. Please note that I am going for the simple non-padded models where you just thread the sling into the slot on the buttstock and sling swivel. Given that we do not train in armour, but just our tac-vests, would a padding be a worthwhile feature? Comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

jaYson

JJ_BPK
10-01-2017, 10:08
My reasoning for choosing these two companies is that I want to avoid the sling being made overseas.

jaYson

Are you "legally" prevented from a owning an imported sling?

An alternative to the USGI, is the standard IDF (1,2, or 3 point) available from ebay CA.

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xidf+sl ing.TRS0&_nkw=idf+sling&_sacat=0

I have the old USGI leather, com-block leather AK, Vicker's & VTac. Not fond of padding, but I like a wider strap. All 2 point.