PDA

View Full Version : Won a Hog Hunt in Waelder, TX 78959

Penn
09-13-2017, 17:35
Won a Hog Hunt in Waelder, TX 78959 www.independencerach.com

Several months ago, on whim, entered a monthly drawing for a free 3 day/2 night hunt. $799 package, covers everything, but toiletries and bedding. I have 15 days to claim the hunt...if transferable, would anyone in the AO like to take this opportunity?

Old Dog New Trick
09-13-2017, 18:38
Sure.

Penn
09-13-2017, 20:17
ODNT, PM inbound

RichL025
09-14-2017, 08:19
Sorry I missed the original post!

ODNT, let me know what the operation is like, they are only about 1.5 hours away from me here in SA and I had looked at their website previously...

TJ11B
09-14-2017, 10:47
FWIW

http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/somerville/Recreation/Feral%20Hogs/FeralHogHunting.asp

Apparently the Corps of Engineers will allow hunting in the Somerville Lake Reservoir area (Lee County, Washington County) for free as long as you have valid hunter's education/license and apply for the permit. Can only use bow, shotgun, dogs, and livetrapping.

I grew up in Lee County and can absolutely confirm that the feral hog population there is insane.

One night spot-lighting near Somerville Lake we stirred up hundreds (no hyperbole) of hogs eating out of cattle range feeders.

If you wait till a full moon with good ambient light (or bring your PVS-14) you can go without spot-light and really murder the bastards.

Firing a suppressed 300 BLK dropping hogs while their buddies are looking around confused can be quite entertaining.

Old Dog New Trick
09-14-2017, 15:36
Sorry I missed the original post!

ODNT, let me know what the operation is like, they are only about 1.5 hours away from me here in SA and I had looked at their website previously...

I will. I'm new to the area so have figure out the hurdles to jump over. Hopefully this is something that will get me back into something I love - hunting.

bblhead672
09-15-2017, 08:00
I will. I'm new to the area so have figure out the hurdles to jump over. Hopefully this is something that will get me back into something I love - hunting.

Since moving back to Texas last year I've been wanting to get back into hunting by decreasing the feral hog population. It seems you either have to know someone who will let you hunt for free on their land or pay. The landowners seem to be interested in getting rid of the hogs, yet not enough to let people hunt hogs on their land without payment.

LarryW
09-16-2017, 13:24
JMHO, but I found "Texasboars.com" as a good forum for learning from some of the more experienced Texas hog hunters. The forum rules are enforced but should be no surprise to this group.

http://www.texasboars.com/phpBB2/index.php

This "Info for New Hog Hunters" is dated (2009) but still good gouge to seasoned as well as newbies.

Shot placement...

Good hunting!

RichL025
09-17-2017, 08:36
Larry,

That looks like an excellent resource I had not found in my (admittedly cursory) searches. Thanks for pointing it out to me!