PDA

View Full Version : .308 on AR Platform

STR8SHTR
01-19-2005, 22:36
I'm considering purchasing a .308 cal rifle on an AR platform. Does anyone here have any experience with this type of setup? What are your thoughts on it?

Thanks in advance.

jatx
01-20-2005, 08:37
I had the chance to shoot a Bushmaster .308 recently. It was very well constructed, fit and finish was top notch, and it was shooting 1 MOA groups from prone with surplus ammo. Plus, the Bushy uses standard FAL mags - not proprietary, modified M-14 mags.

I'm considering buying one. The only thing I'm likely to change is the trigger group (I prefer a single stage trigger), and that can be swapped out with any aftermarket group made for the AR family. Although I may also change the flash suppressor, which should be no problem as the rifle comes with a threaded barrel and the standard suppressor is no longer pinned on recently manufactured specimens.

Drawbacks? It's about 2 lbs. heavier than the 5.56 (unloaded). So far as I know, Bushy makes the only available rail system at this time. Stock options are limited for now. Other than that, it seems GTG.

If you want to know more, there's a great range review over here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=28&t=143260&page=1

The Reaper
01-20-2005, 09:25
I'm considering purchasing a .308 cal rifle on an AR platform. Does anyone here have any experience with this type of setup? What are your thoughts on it?

Thanks in advance.

I have experience on the SR-25 and AR-10.

Each represents an excellent precision gas-gun to augment either the 5.56 rifles with more punch, or the 7.62 bolt guns with a higher volume of fire, should you require that.

The ergonomics and controls are the same as the M-16/AR-15 series, and for proficient shooters of those systems, require no additional learning and training for effective use.

Mags can be a weak point with those rifles.

The alternates are the FN-FAL, G-3, or M-14, which are usually not in the same precision category as the 7.62 ARs, and require relearning ergonomics.

You have to examine the environment and application, and decide if you need one.

Rails can be had from KAC, ArmaLite, BM, or any of several other makers.

TR

Psywar1-0
01-23-2005, 09:12
Drawbacks? It's about 2 lbs. heavier than the 5.56 (unloaded). So far as I know, Bushy makes the only available rail system at this time. Stock options are limited for now. Other than that, it seems GTG.

If you want to know more, there's a great range review over here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=28&t=143260&page=1

IIRC any Mid Length rail system will work with the BAR-10. Carbine style stocks can be used if you mod a 9mm buffer by shortening it and adding some heavier weights.

A bud of mine had one, but traded it in for a Para FAL. I might end up getting the BAR-10 myself.