PDA

View Full Version : Firearms for Women; SCCY CPX-2

echoes
07-25-2017, 13:31
Have done an extensive search using the search function, and have not found this particular firearm, and am tip- toeing slowly in here to ask...per advice from a credible source, any thoughts regarding the SCCY CPX-2 9mm Double Action semi-auto?

It was presented after the Glock 43 9mm, which did not feel good in my grip, and seemed a bit weak, IMVHO

Since I am finally going to purchase a firearm for concealed carry, am going to the local NRA approved facility for classes. Am also going to practice extensively at the range They have here locally.

Per advice again, I did a lot of research and have come to a possible decision on this weapon. It was advised I purchase a compact Semi-auto, vs. Revolver.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any reply's.

Holly:o

PRB
07-25-2017, 15:46
How are you going to carry....on your person or handbag? Makes a big difference when approaching the size of the firearm.

I am not a fan of Glocks for newcomers to concealed carry....simply due to the trigger safety and the amount of AD's attributed to that...both retrieving and holstering.

My wife carries a Ruger RCP (revolver) in .38 special.....she does get out to shoot/practice but not enough for me to be comfortable/or her, with a semi auto.
I like the point/squeeze of a small revolver. It has a good size grip for her and is lightweight enough not to be a bother. She also prints well with it.

To really 'be good' you need to shoot quite a bit to overcome the added stress of a real situation and a semi auto can lead to issues (more rounds fired that you actually wanted to etc.)...

Semi's tho have some great assets...quick reload capability and first shot speed.

If I were you I'd fins a friend, go to a range where you can actually try the piece (s) out then make up your mind.

Also....look into the NRA insurance too...I'd rec that to anyone carrying, if you shoot someone no matter how righteous you will be sued in civil court.....

My brother, Detective, killed a gangbanger wanted for kidnapping and armed with a sawed off shotgun....he was sued in civil court for 3 years by the family but the State pics that up....if he were a civilian it would have cost him 300k in fee's.

adal
07-25-2017, 15:48
Check with The Well Armed Woman
https://twawshootingchapters.org/chapter/locate

I train with these ladies often here in AZ. Firearms and first aid. The members have their stuff together. The link above will allow you to find a local chapter and then you can ask their opinions.

Adal

Peregrino
07-25-2017, 17:22
Shoot before you buy CANNOT be overemphasized. (Failure to listen to that simple advice is why the wife has at least a half dozen different CC pistols she's only carried a few times, each laying around the house quietly gathering dust.) The insurance is another great piece of advice.

rsdengler
07-25-2017, 17:47
Holly:

I have not decided on a handgun as of yet since I am a "newbie" with handling weapons. I am going to start firearm training with an instructor pretty soon. Before I make any selections, I want to do some training first with my instructor so I feel more comfortable with the entire shooting experience. I still need to find the right fit, as well as what works best for me . I did go to my local gun shop and had him pull out some weapons. I handled a Rugar LCP, LC9, a HK VP9, a USP, Glock G19 Gen 4, a Bersa 380 Combat, Springfield XD, and a Smith & Wesson M&P. I really liked the feel of the HK VP OD Green 9mm and the Bersa 380 Combat. But, I am still going to wait to do some training before I finally make a choice. Good luck with your search :)

Peregrino
07-25-2017, 18:08
Rita - I would strongly recommend you concentrate your search on 9mms if given a choice. Availability of ammo with improved terminal ballistics and the ability to acquire a "full-sized" pistol in the same caliber (training is a lot easier/more productive with a full sized pistol) against (usually) little or no sacrifice in concealability and only a moderate increase in recoil makes for compelling arguments in favor of the 9. The only one on your list we've had a bad experience with was the Ruger LC9. We very rarely dispose of firearms but that one only lasted a couple months before it was gone (totally unreliable with defense loads). It was very quickly traded for an XDs in .45 that the wife actually carried for a while (until she got her Kimber Micro9 "Smurfette").

echoes
07-25-2017, 20:36
Wow, thanks so much to All.

All notes of advice have been taken in to account, and written down: Must shoot to overcome and practice is key. The local women's chapter is something to investigate for sure, and shooting the firearm before purchasing is right in line with my goals.

Thank you all so much for taking your time to reply to my question. It was posed after my recent trip by a friend who gave me the advice of checking here on PS, and other locations about SCCY, and asking for feedback.

Goal was semi -auto compact, 9mm...for Concealed carry. (Not a Glock.)

Again, thanks to all for taking your time to reply.:o

Am starting this new venture very soon, and will provide feedback.

Holly

rsdengler
07-26-2017, 04:55
Rita - I would strongly recommend you concentrate your search on 9mms if given a choice. Availability of ammo with improved terminal ballistics and the ability to acquire a "full-sized" pistol in the same caliber (training is a lot easier/more productive with a full sized pistol) against (usually) little or no sacrifice in concealability and only a moderate increase in recoil makes for compelling arguments in favor of the 9. The only one on your list we've had a bad experience with was the Ruger LC9. We very rarely dispose of firearms but that one only lasted a couple months before it was gone (totally unreliable with defense loads). It was very quickly traded for an XDs in .45 that the wife actually carried for a while (until she got her Kimber Micro9 "Smurfette").

Peregrino, thank you for the suggestions, I would like to focus on getting a 9mm. I do like the HK models I have tried, they feel really comfortable and fit my hand better. I am sure I will find my "right fit" once I do a bit of training. Thanks again :)

bblhead672
07-26-2017, 07:36
Have done an extensive search using the search function, and have not found this particular firearm, and am tip- toeing slowly in here to ask...per advice from a credible source, any thoughts regarding the SCCY CPX-2 9mm Double Action semi-auto?

It was presented after the Glock 43 9mm, which did not feel good in my grip, and seemed a bit weak, IMVHO

Since I am finally going to purchase a firearm for concealed carry, am going to the local NRA approved facility for classes. Am also going to practice extensively at the range They have here locally.

Per advice again, I did a lot of research and have come to a possible decision on this weapon. It was advised I purchase a compact Semi-auto, vs. Revolver.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any reply's.

Holly:o

Holly,
Go to a local gun store, not a big box store like Cabelas, etc unless you have a lot of patience to wait and handle every 9mm semi-auto that is in the size you want to start with. Make a list of the ones that feel comfortable in your hands.
Then, go to a gun range that rents guns and try each of the ones on your list.
After that then you can search for the best deal on the one that you choose.
I've bought several from GrabAGun in DFW area: www.grabagun.com

I definitely recommend you check out the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield. It was my first handgun purchase after moving to Texas and getting back into shooting again after 20 years of living in Illinois.

Best of luck finding the "one" that fits you. In the end, all that matters is that you have a gun that feels good, shoots good, you will practice and train with and carry daily.

The Reaper
07-26-2017, 07:57
Note that a house or car gun may have different requirements. For example, you might want a full-sized pistol with a tactical light for your house gun, versus a compact- or sub-compact carry gun. Ammo and magazine compatibility between full-sized and concealment weapons is important. Think about how you plan to carry and conceal the weapon.

Concur with the trying what feels "right" to you before proceeding. Also consider the carry method. A Glock is fine in a holster, but not so much tossed into a purse.

Once you have narrowed your candidates down to 3-5 weapons, go to a range where you can rent or borrow the pistols you are considering, and shoot them. The one that feels best and that you shoot best is the one you want. Any significant jams or stoppages should remove a candidate, no matter how much you like it.

Concur with the preference for at least a 9mm, but concealment requirements, especially in the summer, can force me to carry a .380, which is a marginal performer, but is infinitely better than the .44 Magnum you left at home. Remember that the more power, and lighter the pistol, the more recoil. With good practice and training, most people should be able to manage a 9mm or a .38 Special, and there are some good ammo loads with excellent terminal ballistics out there for each caliber.

Competent instructors can be a big help, especially to new shooters. Women are generally better students because of lesser egos and fewer bad habits to unlearn.

There is nothing wrong with a revolver, other than the lower capacity and slower reloading (unless you are Jerry Miculek). They tend to be more reliable and safer than auto pistols.

Whatever you select, you need to practice with it over and over until you are proficient in drawing from concealment and delivering multiple accurate shots to your target at different ranges within the limits of you and your weapon. Lots of quality dry fire will be required to build the requisite muscle memory.

Then don't forget to carry it, whenever and wherever it is legal.

I tend to ignore people who can tell you a specific gun to carry without the above sort of logical process.

Good luck.

TR

mcarey
07-26-2017, 09:09
I have a Berretta Nano in 9mm. The best pocket pistol and easily concealed pistol that I have ever owned. It shoots straight despite small size and sight radius; holds tight out to 5-15 yards for most of my friends firing it for the first time. I think it is the best value in highly concealable 9MM; of course, you should try one, before you buy one!

frostfire
07-26-2017, 09:52
Shoot before you buy CANNOT be overemphasized.

This is the best option. I must add however that without good fundamental, no gun
would give you that elusive fit/shootability

I'd say seek competent instructor to give you honest feedback on the correct grip ("sliding into" as opposed to monkey grip), then go to the store, close eyes,grab gun from the table, purse, holster, etc, point to safe direction, open eyes, dry fire.
The one that gives you an acceptable sight picture on point is the one you want. Then live fire to validate the shootability. Should save you $$$
youtube.com/watch?list=FLr_ZkMECluVtPpI8IMYOkfA&v=45QhpvY9LZc

Maybe i've been in too many EO and SHARP sessions but im not a fan of the term gun for women, there is only one term, gun for you regardless evrything else.

The SCCY probably has the most assortment of color though:D
From magazine, gunstore, youtube etc., ladies are definitely the fastest growing ccw buyer. Good for ya'll. Good for 'murica!

echoes
07-26-2017, 13:08
And Wow again! Thank you All for your detailed responses.

A lot of incredible information to absorb. My SCCY and Glock comparisons were done at a local gun shop here, about a mile away...
The only advice that my friend gave me was compact and 9mm.

(The house or car gun analogy TR, really has me thinking)

Am so glad that I asked...try before you buy is something I had not thought about...makes so much sense.

Going to take as many classes as I can first, before purchase.

In any case, love to shoot, and figured its time to step up to a gun instead of just my Harsey knife for self defense. :-)

Again, thank you all for taking the time to respond. I trust PS.com, more than anything!

Holly

cat in the hat
07-26-2017, 14:28
always good to learn that another person is taking responsibility for their own safety

lots of great advice above that, as an instructor, I would echo; find a gun that fits your hand and needs, try before you buy, reputable stores for advice, and others.

as n part time CCW instructor, I also recommend looking for proper training. NOT the guy at the range with lots of "cool guy gear" who offers unsolicited advice when you are shooting at the range.

one thing I always emphasize is dry fire practice. it will enhance your basics, grip, stance, sight alignment, sight picture, front sight focus, steady trigger press and surprise break, without spending as much money. then when you go to the range, you can spend all your time with follow through and accuracy.
get some dummy rounds and you can practice reloads safely as well.
like anything else, learn the basics first and then pick up some advanced techniques

once you are carrying on a regular basis, remember that states have different laws on WHERE you can carry ,, (church, bars, private establishments) duty to inform law enforcement when stopped. do your homework on states you visit. googe CCW reciprocity map as a start.

Team Sergeant
07-27-2017, 14:07
always good to learn that another person is taking responsibility for their own safety

lots of great advice above that, as an instructor, I would echo; find a gun that fits your hand and needs, try before you buy, reputable stores for advice, and others.

as n part time CCW instructor, I also recommend looking for proper training. NOT the guy at the range with lots of "cool guy gear" who offers unsolicited advice when you are shooting at the range.
one thing I always emphasize is dry fire practice. it will enhance your basics, grip, stance, sight alignment, sight picture, front sight focus, steady trigger press and surprise break, without spending as much money. then when you go to the range, you can spend all your time with follow through and accuracy.
get some dummy rounds and you can practice reloads safely as well.
like anything else, learn the basics first and then pick up some advanced techniques

once you are carrying on a regular basis, remember that states have different laws on WHERE you can carry ,, (church, bars, private establishments) duty to inform law enforcement when stopped. do your homework on states you visit. googe CCW reciprocity map as a start.

Damn, there goes my cover again, I get busted all the time..........

Was home visiting family last year and my mother's 80 year old friend carries one of these....... and he's big enough to use it!

http://www.guns.com/2012/09/11/judgement-cutting-through-the-410-revolver-hype/

echoes
07-28-2017, 17:43

Was home visiting family last year and my mother's 80 year old friend carries one of these....... and he's big enough to use it!

TS,

Would seek advice from you at the range, no matter what!:lifter...You are , "The Man."

In addition, am printing off all of the advice here, and posting it on my bulletin board. Am going to study each and every sentence, til it is committed to memory...before my purchase.

Thank you all again.

Holly

PRB
07-28-2017, 18:09
Just picked up a Sig Sauer P 290 rs 9mm....this is a double action and one needs tp be comfortable with that.
I'm not sure that would work for you as a double action takes practice but it is a safe carry without any safeties.
It shoots flawlessly, is small (sub compact), and the recoil to me was negligible.
I am going to carry this piece in lieu of a tad smaller .380.
If you can get one to try out see if it fits....the size and weight/caliber are on the nose.

Chucko
07-28-2017, 18:43
Interesting posts. I have a little different twist on this. My wife was looking for a headboard gun and also my sister who is looking for a CC gun. Something they are comfortable shooting and is fairly accurate.

I took my wife out on the back porch to shoot my 1911 45 about 20 years ago. The think kicks like a mule and is not accurate and one of the first few rounds sent a casing back and hit her in the forehead. That was it for her.

Today she is more serious about shooting for defense in the home so I take her out again. I start with my semi auto Buckmark 22. It is big and not much recoil and she was very comfortable with that and could put a dozen rounds in a cool whip cover at 15' right out of the gate. She was to the point where she wanted it dead center and not off 2 inches.

I give her my 9mm semi auto Kahr just to see how she would handle it and it has to much kick and she is afraid of it. Then the 45 again, and again forget it. We could even tell where the bullets were going.

She likes the 22.

Lat week I went to Wisconsin and took my sister out shooting with the same 3 guns. She fell in love with my Buckmark for shootability and ease of reloading etc. Both women had a terrible time loading the clips on the 9mm and the 45 to where they could only put a couple rounds in it at a time. (I know they sell autoloaders).

We went looking for a few days and came across a Rugar PS22 semi auto. They seem like a nice, small, easy to use and cheap to practice with gun and will probably get one for my wife in a couple days. I cannot see a problem with this particular gun for defense.

I would not want to face a competent woman carrying a 22 even though a bigger gun has more stopping power. 10 rounds from a 22 coming at you accurately will change a burglars tune in a hurry.

That is a gun that she will be comfortable with (I hope) and if she runs put of bullets she can reach over and grab my 45 if she pleases.

A few years down the road she can change if she wants more kick from a gun and get something else, but for now a 22 has just the right amount of wallop.

doctom54
07-28-2017, 19:46
Shooting the biggest pistol you are comfortable and accurate with is always a good plan. If that means a .22 then thats ok.

PSM
07-28-2017, 23:01
My wife is a an NRA certified RSO and coach at an all-women's shooting club here in Sierra Vista. The first class (required of all new members regardless of previous experience) is free and conducted by an NRA instructor. It includes range time shooting a variety of guns to help them decide what is best for them.

My wife carries several depending on the situation. She has a .22 Ruger LCR for around the property in case of snakes or to scare off coyotes. A .38 LCR in her purse for in the car, and a 9mm XD for CC which she almost never carries because she doesn't want to wear a holster. Therein lies the usual problem, the best tool is not handy because it doesn't fit the outfit. Her XD carries twice the number of rounds as my UPSc .45, yet it is almost always at home when we are out.

Even experience cannot always trump vanity.

Pat

rsdengler
07-30-2017, 10:30

LOL....it's the "cool guy gear" you are wearing :p. It makes the women go all "dreamy eyed", that's why they book extra lessons :o Ha....

That Taurus Judge looks sort of like the weapon my HQL instructor showed us when I first went shooting. That thing felt massive when I picked it up...Heck forget about me shooting that bad boy, I could always just use it to club someone to death:D

Team Sergeant
07-30-2017, 11:20
LOL....it's the "cool guy gear" you are wearing :p. It makes the women go all "dreamy eyed", that's why they book extra lessons :o Ha....

j/k, I've only been on a "public" range once, and once was enough. The "range safety personnel" on Ben Avery are low IQ idiots dealing with lower IQ idiots.

I'll take a spot in the desert any day. Besides if anyone here has ever watched me teach I stand in front of my students...... yes you read that right, in front. ;)

rsdengler
07-30-2017, 14:41
j/k, I've only been on a "public" range once, and once was enough. The "range safety personnel" on Ben Avery are low IQ idiots dealing with lower IQ idiots.

I'll take a spot in the desert any day. Besides if anyone here has ever watched me teach I stand in front of my students...... yes you read that right, in front. ;)

LOL too funny...that's why "You Da Man".....:p

JamesIkanov
07-30-2017, 22:01
Specific to the gun mentioned in the title:
I've heard very mixed things about'em. Several complaints of out of the box failures, but on the plus side they have a fairly generous warranty. For a while they even offered to replace them if they got stolen. To me that's an indicator of how inexpensively made they are. Not necessarily a bad thing, but in general I'd relegate such a gun to a beater. Wouldn't carry it as a first choice, but that's just my 0.02$

I'd personally recommend any 9mm from a well known and reputable manufacturer. The Walther CCP is a good example, but that particular gun has or previously had some drop safety issues that discount it from consideration specifically.... Unless they've been fixed, which I haven't heard of yet. There's also the P2000/VP9 SK models, but those are pricier. Same for single stack SIG. CZ makes a decent compact as well.

rsdengler
08-22-2017, 13:11
Holly:

These guys are spot on with the comments about training, listening, firing different handguns, and asking loads of questions prior to buying a handgun. Over the weekend I had my first lesson with my instructor, one-on-one and I have to say it was amazing. I shot 4-9mm handguns, 3 Glocks, and 1 Springfield XD9. I have to say practice, practice, practice, and pay attention …my thumb now has a nice blister on it, I have a redneck sunburn, and spent cartridge burns on my arms, collarbone, and had one fling down the front of my shirt, and you have to keep in mind to stand still when they hit. But it was worth it; oh wait the first burn made me do the backward jimmy leg dance.

You also need to find a great instructor, someone you feel very confident and comfortable with. I have to say I just love my instructor, he and I meshed right off the bat, like we have known each other for quite some time. (I have this impression that my husband thinks I am about to run off with him…LOL :p) Ask questions, after questions and LISTEN, especially when it comes to safety with handling the weapon. So much goes through your head the first time you go through lessons, it can be overwhelming at first. I am still texting questions and asking “when can we train again”. Plus, I need to work on my problem areas.

I have another lesson planned for Sept. 9 and I am psyched and cannot wait until September.

Best of luck to you….Rita :o

echoes
08-22-2017, 14:26
Holly:

These guys are spot on with the comments about training, listening, firing different handguns, and asking loads of questions prior to buying a handgun. Over the weekend I had my first lesson with my instructor, one-on-one and I have to say it was amazing. I shot 4-9mm handguns, 3 Glocks, and 1 Springfield XD9. I have to say practice, practice, practice, and pay attention …my thumb now has a nice blister on it, I have a redneck sunburn, and spent cartridge burns on my arms, collarbone, and had one fling down the front of my shirt, and you have to keep in mind to stand still when they hit. But it was worth it; oh wait the first burn made me do the backward jimmy leg dance.

You also need to find a great instructor, someone you feel very confident and comfortable with. I have to say I just love my instructor, he and I meshed right off the bat, like we have known each other for quite some time. (I have this impression that my husband thinks I am about to run off with him…LOL :p) Ask questions, after questions and LISTEN, especially when it comes to safety with handling the weapon. So much goes through your head the first time you go through lessons, it can be overwhelming at first. I am still texting questions and asking “when can we train again”. Plus, I need to work on my problem areas.

I have another lesson planned for Sept. 9 and I am psyched and cannot wait until September.

Best of luck to you….Rita :o

Rita, Wow Lady!!! Sounds like you had a helluva first lesson..

Thank you for the detailed Q&A!

Am already ahead of the game, as am going back to CO next week for some real live shooting practice with my friend from my recent visit.

He is qualified, and would...(and am,) trust him with my life as we are going to a very remote AO.

Will check back after completion of this training.

And if ya'll don't hear from me...send out the search party.:o. LOL

Holly

blue02hd
08-22-2017, 15:09
http://pistolpacknmama.com/

Echo! Your former student sends hellos and wishes you the best!

I purchased a purse from the above website for my better half and she uses it daily. She preferred wheel guns to auto loaders, she didn't like the slides on my 380's or 9mms. Started her on a .22 as mentioned earlier in this thread to build confidence and acquire some "fun factor", then progressed to light 38's in a small 5 shot Taurus Mod 85. She now can handle mid ranged .357 from a 6 inch SW M27. The .357 stays in the truck, while the 38 rides in her purse.

For home defense she has the choice between a pump 20 gauge shotgun or a suppressed 9mm AR 15. Both have lights.

1. Practice.

2. Look fashionable.

Hope this helps,,,

2018commo
08-23-2017, 04:20
Last X-mas HH6 told me she wanted a new handgun, with the help of my go to gun shop she held and shot almost everything. We went home with the HK VP9. The grips adjusted to her hands and the slide was the easiest for her to manipulate. She has been a good shot since I've known her, but now it's fun to go to the range together. She heads to the pistol range, while I practice oh the rifle range. CC is not an option in The People's Republic of Maryland, thus the VP9 is set up as a "House Gun" as TR described.
Good luck and have fun with the process.

echoes
08-23-2017, 11:43
Thank you blue and commo, your advice will be committed to memory...

Practice, look fashionable, and have fun have been added to my list of tips...

In all seriousness though, I have been very inspired by so many folks on PS to practice.

Will update after training commences next week.

Holly

Box
08-23-2017, 12:36
...just a thought

If you are going to carry concealed; carry concealed. A carry gun in your purse is just like having extra ammo in your ruck back at the patrol base.
It doesn't do you any good if it isn't on your person. If you fall victim to a purse snatcher, your have just armed your assailant with your only means of defense.

Men and women are built different AND they dress different. If you like to wear a skirt, you still can wear a holster that allows you to carry a small pistol on your inner thigh...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNL5pqn3Eng
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ja4mUIO4mw

You also have boobs... that means you can wear looser shirts that help conceal a gun on your belt. A man wearing the same
You can also wear a light jacket in the summer and it will just look like you are a sharp dressed lady in a business jacket.

If I wear a jacket in the summer, it makes me look like I am crazy, or to the more observant, it labels me as a guy that is probably carrying concealed.
You can wear a vest and it just looks like a fashion item
If I wear a vest, it ABSOLUTELY makes it look like I am hiding something. There are a few site (below) that cater to ladies that want to carry concealed.

...for what its worth, I'd have a lot of fun getting my wife to model some of these holsters wearing nothing more than a tiara and some high heels

https://www.cancanconcealment.com/
https://www.gungoddess.com/on-body-holsters/

echoes
08-23-2017, 13:24
...just a thought

If you are going to carry concealed; carry concealed. A carry gun in your purse is just like having extra ammo in your ruck back at the patrol base.
It doesn't do you any good if it isn't on your person. If you fall victim to a purse snatcher, your have just armed your assailant with your only means of defense.

Men and women are built different AND they dress different. If you like to wear a skirt, you still can wear a holster that allows you to carry a small pistol on your inner thigh...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNL5pqn3Eng
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ja4mUIO4mw

You also have boobs... that means you can wear looser shirts that help conceal a gun on your belt. A man wearing the same
You can also wear a light jacket in the summer and it will just look like you are a sharp dressed lady in a business jacket.

If I wear a jacket in the summer, it makes me look like I am crazy, or to the more observant, it labels me as a guy that is probably carrying concealed.
You can wear a vest and it just looks like a fashion item
If I wear a vest, it ABSOLUTELY makes it look like I am hiding something. There are a few site (below) that cater to ladies that want to carry concealed.

...for what its worth, I'd have a lot of fun getting my wife to model some of these holsters wearing nothing more than a tiara and some high heels

https://www.cancanconcealment.com/
https://www.gungoddess.com/on-body-holsters/

Box Sir,

Wow, thank you for the insight and great ideas.

For me no skirts, tiaras, or high heels, (not in public anyway,) but since I do carry a chest around with me daily, it is good to know there are extra advantages for concealed carry. Thanks for the info. Have a lot of research and analysis to do before making the correct purchase. Try before you buy...and I plan on shooting a lot next week at targets designed to aide in this process of deduction.

Am continuing to learn, and thanks to all the advice here, am headed in the correct direction.

Thank you for taking the time to share.

Holly

Peregrino
08-23-2017, 14:03
Box Sir,

Wow, thank you for the insight and great ideas.

For me no skirts, tiaras, or high heels, (not in public anyway,) but since I do carry a chest around with me daily, it is good to know there are extra advantages for concealed carry. Thanks for the info. Have a lot of research and analysis to do before making the correct purchase. Try before you buy...and I plan on shooting a lot next week at targets designed to aide in this process of deduction.

Am continuing to learn, and thanks to all the advice here, am headed in the correct direction.

Thank you for taking the time to share.

Holly

When looking at CC alternatives (e.g. the "Flash Bang", etc.) please remember Safety First! As in - keep your finger out of the trigger guard until you're coming up on target. Save the tatas is more than just cancer; there have been injuries and fatalities as a result of "negligent discharges" (with firearms ;)).

Box
08-23-2017, 14:08
Save the tatas is more than just cancer; there have been injuries and fatalities as a result of "negligent discharges" (with firearms ).

OMFG... that is funny.
It has a bit of a "you'll shoot your eye out kid" ring to it

negligent discharges....
...you win the internet for the day

echoes
08-23-2017, 14:23
OMFG... that is funny.
It has a bit of a "you'll shoot your eye out kid" ring to it

negligent discharges....
...you win the internet for the day

Sirrs,

No negligent discharges will be done, as I am confident in my shooting instructor to advise and prevent anything like that from happening.

We will be more focused on basics, beginning with proper grip of the firearm, and move up from there.

Am looking forward to the training so, god forbid, any accident results from of careless discharge of my firearm.

Thank you Sirrs for the updates on safety first!

Holly :o

rsdengler
08-23-2017, 15:32
Sirrs,

No negligent discharges will be done, as I am confident in my shooting instructor to advise and prevent anything like that from happening.

We will be more focused on basics, beginning with proper grip of the firearm, and move up from there.

Am looking forward to the training so, god forbid, any accident results from of careless discharge of my firearm.

Thank you Sirrs for the updates on safety first!

Holly :o

LOL....And Holly, thinking about safety, don't go to the range wearing Daisy Duke shorts either....you could get a thigh burn from the spent cartridge....sort of like a "Cartridge Hicky"....:p

echoes
08-23-2017, 16:03
LOL....And Holly, thinking about safety, don't go to the range wearing Daisy Duke shorts either....you could get a thigh burn from the spent cartridge....sort of like a "Cartridge Hicky"....:p

Thanks Rita, ;)

No shorts of any kind will be a part of this shooting exercise. Since my "friend" is taking the time to do this, the least I can do is Be Prepared with proper outfitting.

All kidding aside, this is a very serious undertaking on my part, and am very grateful to have this opportunity to learn from someone who knows what to do with a firearm.

Hope your lessons continue to go well Rita! The more intelligent females that are armed, the better.:)

Holly

The Reaper
08-23-2017, 16:26
Make sure you have the following at the range:

Weapon
Magazines
Ammunition
Ear pro
Eye pro
Holster or carrying device
Stiff belt if using a holster
Weapons cleaning kit
Any tools required to disassemble the weapon for cleaning
Targets
Target backers
Stapler and/or tape

TR

echoes
08-23-2017, 17:08
Make sure you have the following at the range:

Weapon
Magazines
Ammunition
Ear pro
Eye pro
Holster or carrying device
Stiff belt if using a holster
Weapons cleaning kit
Any tools required to disassemble the weapon for cleaning
Targets
Target backers
Stapler and/or tape

TR

TR Sir,

Thank you for providing a great list. Am confident that all of the items will be there at the outdoor targets to be used. But it never is to be taken lightly, and a double and tripple check is always a good idea.

Being Prepared is always my first priority.

Holly:)

rsdengler
08-23-2017, 17:18
Thanks Rita, ;)

No shorts of any kind will be a part of this shooting exercise. Since my "friend" is taking the time to do this, the least I can do is Be Prepared with proper outfitting.

All kidding aside, this is a very serious undertaking on my part, and am very grateful to have this opportunity to learn from someone who knows what to do with a firearm.

Hope your lessons continue to go well Rita! The more intelligent females that are armed, the better.:)

Holly

LOL, you know I was only joking :o Best of luck on your training, I am still set for September and I will keep you updated

Rita

Peregrino
08-23-2017, 18:45
Serendipitous that I should get my September American Rifleman today. Page 73 has an article, "The Ladies Pistol Project", detailing an experiment by women, for women to figure out what constitutes the ideal firearm for a woman. Bottom line - 35 women x 18 different handguns (all the women volunteered to shoot all the pistols! [free ammo and somebody else to clean up the aftermath - no surprises there!]) with a survey after each pistol and tallying of surveys to determine ranking. The results challenge some of the popular myths. IMNSHO - Worth the read.

JJ_BPK
08-24-2017, 05:00
Serendipitous that I should get my September American Rifleman today. Page 73 has an article, "The Ladies Pistol Project", IMNSHO - Worth the read.

Found a link and brief intro video:

http://cdn.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/8/21/the-american-rifleman-ladies-pistol-project/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSGERBYZng4&feature=youtu.be

:lifter

rsdengler
08-24-2017, 11:09
Thanks both for the article and links. Very thoughtful read on the subject of handguns, etc. for women.

I do have a question, I am normally a very high stung person, which means I cannot sit still, and I always have to be moving around. My instructor kept telling me "relax, breath, take your time". But I have a very hard time "relaxing", does anyone have some good suggestions before I go back on the range next time? I always feel like I want to run around the block several times just to relax.

Thanks for any advice, now I have to go run around the building because I am way too hyper right now.....;)

JJ_BPK
08-24-2017, 11:50
I'll let the 18D's give you a professional remote diagnostic answer,,

But Whisky helps me :D

rsdengler
08-24-2017, 12:40
I'll let the 18D's give you a professional remote diagnostic answer,,

But Whisky helps me :D

Hummm...Whisky...Na, then I would just be drunk and giddy :) I don't take hard liquor well, even if it is a swig...:p

PRB
08-29-2017, 13:23
This is from a retired OSI Agent that worked world wide in civvies...thought the ladies here might appreciate her comments.

Jen's response to a carry question

My experience is that unless you are very slim or built like a 10 year old boy, there's always going to be some fit issues. The waist/hip curve is going to potentially make your gun stick out. Belt loops can be damn near impossible to find (except on jeans or utility pants) and concealing with a jacket ... just makes a big lump. Another issue can be boobs (yes, really); when you draw, your gun side breast can get in the way. Is it a showstopper? Not necessarily, but something to practice and contend with. The good, old-fashioned hip holster seemed to do the job best for me. I wouldn't dream of keeping a weapon anywhere but ON my body. Can't use it if you can't get to it. You may have to opt for higher pants (no low-rise) to make sure the belt stays securely on your waist, too. And on the note of belts, unless someone has come up with a retention gadget, when it's time to visit the bathroom, loop the flat end of your belt back around the first belt loop to keep it from slipping out. I've seen lots of guns hit the floor in the ladies' room, and that's a big no-go. My two cents'.

rsdengler
08-30-2017, 11:03
This is from a retired OSI Agent that worked world wide in civvies...thought the ladies here might appreciate her comments.

Jen's response to a carry question

Another issue can be boobs (yes, really); when you draw, your gun side breast can get in the way. Is it a showstopper? Not necessarily, but something to practice and contend with. The good, old-fashioned hip holster seemed to do the job best for me. I wouldn't dream of keeping a weapon anywhere but ON my body. Can't use it if you can't get to it. .

LOL...Yep... Boobs do get in the way....:D I think she brings up some very good advice, and I would not put a weapon in my purse. You cannot get to it fast enough. Hip Holster.....that's the way to go...now only if I could get my Boobs out of the way...LOL

Thanks for the comments :o

PedOncoDoc
08-30-2017, 11:11
LOL...Yep... Boobs do get in the way....:D I think she brings up some very good advice, and I would not put a weapon in my purse. You cannot get to it fast enough. Hip Holster.....that's the way to go...now only if I could get my Boobs out of the way...LOL

Thanks for the comments :o

Hopefully your boobs don't get in the way of a hip holster. :p

rsdengler
08-30-2017, 12:18

LOL...Ha...too funny, I just snorted my drink...I guess I worded that wrong...No Boobs are still in the right place on my chest the last time I looked....:p

Peregrino
08-30-2017, 14:05

I've had plenty of opportunity over the previous two plus years observing women of widely varying skill levels participating in 3-gun competitions. Everyone is using hip holsters, ideally positioned on rigid gunbelts, located with belt loops, and not on "hip hugger" pants, most with some amount of "drop and offset" to the holster to compensate for hip flare. Truth is - even moderately endowed women have to make allowances for "boobage" when shooting. The relative levels of experience (and endowment) are reflected in whether or not the "accommodation" is conscious or unconscious. The only factor that mitigates the issue is having quality support to shape/restrain the errant anatomy. (There's a hilarious Facebook post by a well-endowed semi-pro lady shooter who's front fastened bra clip broke during a stage and her travails concentrating on finishing the course of fire while simultaneously worrying about "the girls" breaking free - needless to say she now carries a spare in her range bag.)

PedOncoDoc
08-30-2017, 14:09
I've had plenty of opportunity over the previous two plus years observing women of widely varying skill levels participating in 3-gun competitions. Everyone is using hip holsters, ideally positioned on rigid gunbelts, located with belt loops, and not on "hip hugger" pants, most with some amount of "drop and offset" to the holster to compensate for hip flare. Truth is - even moderately endowed women have to make allowances for "boobage" when shooting. The relative levels of experience are reflected in whether or not the "accommodation" is conscious or unconscious. The only factor that mitigates the issue is having quality support to shape/restrain the errant anatomy. (There's a hilarious Facebook post by a well-endowed semi-pro lady shooter who's front fastened bra clip broke during a stage and her travails concentrating on finishing the course of fire while simultaneously worrying about "the girls" breaking free - needless to say she now carries a spare in her range bag.)

I can understand breasts getting in the way of drawing from a hip holster - Rita made it sound like they were directly interfering with the placement/securing of the hip holster. :D

Peregrino
08-30-2017, 14:16
I can understand breasts getting in the way of drawing from a hip holster - Rita made it sound like they were directly interfering with the placement/securing of the hip holster. :D

Directly interfering with the placement/securing of the hip holster sounds like a German grandmother I witnessed on the topless beach in Antigua many years ago. Some things cannot be unseen. :eek:

PedOncoDoc
08-30-2017, 15:43
Directly interfering with the placement/securing of the hip holster sounds like a German grandmother I witnessed on the topless beach in Antigua many years ago. Some things cannot be unseen. :eek:

Why didn't she just tuck them into her bikini bottom? :eek:

rsdengler
08-30-2017, 16:56

Haaaaa.....I can't stop laughing...Believe me, I have seen those types of women running around with them flopping right around the belly button, and it's not a pretty sight:D

No, I checked again, my boobs are situated nicely in the correct location...LOL:p

cbtengr
08-30-2017, 18:26
Why didn't she just tuck them into her bikini bottom? :eek:

We are gonna have to start tagging these posts with a NSFW.

PSM
08-30-2017, 21:38
Well, if we are going there, why not go here: Flashbang! (https://youtu.be/YKh_HI7Kj3I?t=60) ;)

Pat

Swoop
08-31-2017, 02:45
Has anyone shot the new Springfield XDe?

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xde-features

echoes
09-16-2017, 11:14
Wanted to update;

Went shooting recently with a friend in CO, outside a cabin built in the 1800's. No electric or water, just a very rustic environment that provided an excellent spot to set up targets, and a range.

Shot a Sig Sauer, and a 1911, which I fell in love with, but am going to start with the 9mm as my first purchase.

Also a mini cross bow, and fantastic shot gun shooting clay targets, which my friend obliterated.

Had great eye and ear protection, very important to have.

Learned the basics of how to load and unload the weapons, and tips on what to do/ not do on a public range with the weapons.

All in all, a tremendous undertaking on a short timeline, but well worth the effort.

Attached some pics, and am hopeful to return soon and learn even more.

Safety First is my motto, and it is definitely something to respect when learning to fire these weapons.

Holly:munchin

rsdengler
09-16-2017, 12:40
Ah great for you so cool �� I have not been shooting since August. I think it's time to find another one �� hope you continue ��

PRB
09-16-2017, 12:55
Ah great for you so cool �� I have not been shooting since August. I think my instructor only wants to get into my pants lol. Time to find another one �� hope you continue ��

Lol, you need to find a nice SF guy to train you....that would never happen then!

rsdengler
09-16-2017, 13:28
Man so I guess I was suckered�� Ok now I need a new instructor any takers lol��

PRB
09-16-2017, 13:30
Man so I guess I was suckered��

Well, there is training and there is training so maybe aye?

OTOH, since you are armed and dangerous .......

echoes
09-16-2017, 18:15
Ah great for you so cool �� I have not been shooting since August. I think my instructor only wants to get into my pants lol. Time to find another one �� hope you continue ��

Well Rita,

My instructor was SF, but more importantly is someone I trust after getting to know them over the last decade.

It is very important to be with an instructor you trust, since after all, you are putting your training for personal self defense in their hands.

And when it comes to learning proper safety and security of your weapon, you want to have that trust that they know WTH they are talking about, IMHO.

Learn hard, but enjoy the process! Maybe bring a freshly baked pie to your trainer...you never know... But the point is, learn all you can from a highly trained Professional. You never know if one day your life may depend on that training.:munchin

Holly

PRB
09-16-2017, 19:29
Man so I guess I was suckered�� apparently he was SF but who knows. Ok now I need a new instructor any takers lol��

If an instructor claims SF status just ask us to vet him.....a place where you can move and shoot, once skilled enough to do so is important and most ranges do not allow that.
This should also be combined with home protection/shooting skills that include family members...what 'ifs'....
Drawing, acquiring, gauging beyond the target (collateral damage), engaging/nullifying target and 360 degree security should be seamless .
Luck (and luck comes with practice)

rsdengler
09-17-2017, 05:47
LOL.. Really, I do trust, and have confidence in my instructor. When I went to my first lesson, he did teach me a lot, and believe me it takes time to process. He was patient, explained everything, taught me the right way to stand, posture, what to look for when shooting at a target, let me know what I needed to work on, etc. There is a lot that goes through your head, and you know that it takes more than one time shooting to gain more confidence, and techniques. I had fun, and we do get along well, and still do. And yes, there is a mutual attraction between us, but training is training and when I am there, that is what we should focus on.

I do have problem areas I need to address, and have not been able to do so. I was supposed to have training last week, but his schedule was full because of the prior weekend which was rained out. I do need a set time, schedule because I want to be able to go out at least twice a month to shoot and work on gaining experience. And to just be more comfortable with a handgun and know what I am doing. As of right now I am going through some marriage issues and “if, if” in the near future I have to be “on my own” again, I want to be able to protect myself. It is a strange world out there today, and if I have to start over, I want to be able to have the ability and confidence to do it on my own.

Thanks again guys, I guess I will try to work this out on my own. :o

PRB
09-17-2017, 10:22
A suggestion or two as you sound serious about this.

What you are doing is learning/practicing a martial art...think about it in that manner.

Presently you are learning mechanical and motor skills/co ordination....that is kata, the basic moves properly applied.

Most never get beyond that phase. They can be good shots but that is not what you are seeking.

The mental attitude and projection that makes one a warrior is as, if not more, important. Many in SF call it being 'switched on' and that is a guy who can go from casual conversation and at ease into serious killing mode immediately....because he has internalized the attitude....I could give you examples and in essence that is what edge a small ODA has over larger units.
The 'mode' is precise/controlled/lethal and instantaneous if the individual is mentally prepared.......this is what good team training results in.

Not easily acquired in your situation but not impossible either.

Team Sergeant
09-17-2017, 13:57
A suggestion or two as you sound serious about this.

What you are doing is learning/practicing a martial art...think about it in that manner.

Presently you are learning mechanical and motor skills/co ordination....that is kata, the basic moves properly applied.

Most never get beyond that phase. They can be good shots but that is not what you are seeking.

The mental attitude and projection that makes one a warrior is as, if not more, important. Many in SF call it being 'switched on' and that is a guy who can go from casual conversation and at ease into serious killing mode immediately....because he has internalized the attitude....I could give you examples and in essence that is what edge a small ODA has over larger units.
The 'mode' is precise/controlled/lethal and instantaneous if the individual is mentally prepared.......this is what good team training results in.

Not easily acquired in your situation but not impossible either.

I should open a shooting dojo?

"The Yin & Yang of shooting......"

"Achieving shot group nirvana"

;)

PRB
09-17-2017, 14:38
I should open a shooting dojo?

"The Yin & Yang of shooting......"

"Achieving shot group nirvana"

;)

You know the deal.....and if not mentally practiced the switch can go into the off position.

Martial art is martial art.....

The difference between punching holes in paper and punching holes in a person....the reason the military when to human silhouettes and quick kill courses....at the basic level.

rsdengler
09-17-2017, 16:00
LOL...a lot of deep mental thinking in those posts. I may need to do some yoga to clear my mind, loosen my body, and Zen out a bit.;) I do understand about "preparing" the mind when shooting, it is all in how you get there. Or I may need to just watch a "Kung Foo" movie....:D

Oh, and thank you for the suggestions, I really do appreciate it. The more advice I can get is so very helpful :)

Team Sergeant
09-17-2017, 17:40
Learning to shoot long range takes some thinking (300+ meters) Under that, it's not too difficult, but if you're not in shape it makes it difficult.

Until Tiger Woods started playing golf many "pro" golfers were fat guys. Tiger changed that. Yeah, you can be fat and shoot, but, you better have some upper body strength if you want to be good at it.

tom kelly
09-19-2017, 15:01
Shooting at People who are shooting at you with the intent to KILL you is Abstract for almost everyone including military, law enforcement, let alone the average citizen. The Military can Train soldiers for combat, The Police Academy can Train Law Enforcement personnel for shoot- no shoot encounters; BUT, Until you are in a gun fight, firefight or armed combat the Psychological cost of Kill or be Killed becomes instantaneous. You do it or Don't do it; There is no try
Regards,

Tom Kelly

rsdengler
10-03-2017, 12:51
Wanted to update;

Went shooting recently with a friend in CO, outside a cabin built in the 1800's. No electric or water, just a very rustic environment that provided an excellent spot to set up targets, and a range.

Shot a Sig Sauer, and a 1911, which I fell in love with, but am going to start with the 9mm as my first purchase.

Also a mini cross bow, and fantastic shot gun shooting clay targets, which my friend obliterated.

Had great eye and ear protection, very important to have.

Learned the basics of how to load and unload the weapons, and tips on what to do/ not do on a public range with the weapons.

All in all, a tremendous undertaking on a short timeline, but well worth the effort.

Attached some pics, and am hopeful to return soon and learn even more.

Safety First is my motto, and it is definitely something to respect when learning to fire these weapons.

Holly:munchin

Hi Holly:

Have you gone to anymore training classes recently? I think that I may try to look for another instructor and training facility around me. I was looking at a place in PA, one in Frederick MD, and one near me. I have to do a bit more research and ask some questions. I know the one in PA I need my own handgun, so I guess I have to get my rear out there and do some more "handgun" testing. I think I will do some this Friday after work. Oh, and thanks again to everyone that provided such great advice and information.:) Plus, I need to occupy my weekends and this is what I really want to do, more training. :D

echoes
10-03-2017, 13:01
Rita,

PM, inbound.

Holly

JJ_BPK
10-03-2017, 13:03
Hi Holly:

Have you gone to anymore training classes recently? I think that I may try to look for another instructor and training facility around me. I was looking at a place in PA, one in Frederick MD, and one near me. I have to do a bit more research and ask some questions. I know the one in PA I need my own handgun, so I guess I have to get my rear out there and do some more "handgun" testing. I think I will do some this Friday after work. Oh, and thanks again to everyone that provided such great advice and information.:) Plus, I need to occupy my weekends and this is what I really want to do, more training. :D

Rita

Be very very careful about crossing state lines with a weapon and/or ammo. Not sure where you are in Maryland, but Jersey and DC are definitely no-mans land, to be avoided at all costs....

I would strongly suggest you talk to the range owners/instructors about renting weapons and purchasing ammo, while out of state. Good chance there might be a discount for students.

Be Safe,, & Careful..

rsdengler
10-03-2017, 13:14
Rita

Be very very careful about crossing state lines with a weapon and/or ammo. Not sure where you are in Maryland, but Jersey and DC are definitely no-mans land, to be avoided at all costs....

I would strongly suggest you talk to the range owners/instructors about renting weapons and purchasing ammo, while out of state. Good chance there might be a discount for students.

Be Safe,, & Careful..

Thanks JJ, I know that the instructors in PA will travel to a gun range in my area, they would have to do a site visit first. I don't want to travel across state lines with a weapon, so if I could do the training at a gun range near me, that would be the best (I am not far from PA, about 7 miles). The range near me does rent weapons, and they supply ammo if I were to go to that one. I want to handle more weapons before I decide on purchasing one. That is why I rather visit a range that provides these services, and I really want a instructor so I can continue training.

I will be careful, and safe and make sure I do my research first...Thanks again:)

frostfire
10-04-2017, 09:02
Rita, quick tip from my own personal journey towards marksmanship excellence is having a solid role model. Someone to show that you don’t need easy, just possible. That impossible is indeed spelled I’m possible. Many members on this board and the old souls at the firing line have been that figure to me.

Google Ashley Rheuark and her dry fire regimen. IMHOO, she embodies a dedicated (humble) professional even at her age :lifter

orion5
10-23-2017, 12:42
Rita, quick tip from my own personal journey towards marksmanship excellence is having a solid role model. Someone to show that you don’t need easy, just possible. That impossible is indeed spelled I’m possible. Many members on this board and the old souls at the firing line have been that figure to me.

Google Ashley Rheuark and her dry fire regimen. IMHOO, she embodies a dedicated (humble) professional even at her age :lifter

Can confirm. :D Besides if anyone here has ever watched me teach I stand in front of my students...... yes you read that right, in front. ;)

rsdengler
12-04-2017, 09:43
OK, I am going to ask this question on cold weather shooting because I cannot find anything when I searched. And if I totally had a "Duh Moment" when I searched for it, and it was hidden somewhere in a post, then I apologize...LOL:D

Woo-Hoo, this weekend I will be having a 2nd lesson with my instructor at an outdoor range. This will be the first time I will be shooting my new handgun..Hee, Hee…. But, it is supposed to be pretty chilly this Saturday where I am shooting about 37-39 degrees and I will be out around 3pm, so close to sundown. My question, any suggestions or advice for shooting in colder weather? I know that I will have on extra clothing, and I intend on layering and not wearing anything bulky. And I am assuming that the cooler weather may affect my handling, and shooting abilities especially since I do not intend to wear gloves. So, any tips on clothing, techniques, mindset? Thanks in advance, and as always I appreciate any help, knowledge and experience from you guys…..:o

Note to self... remember to bring coffee thermos...and hand warmers...:)

Box
12-04-2017, 10:34
Dress the way you would dress to be outside...
...and then practice shooting that way

If you are going to walk around in the winter months without gloves, then by all means, shoot without gloves.
Consider buying yourself a set of thin gloves that will cover your bare skin and still give you enough grip to handle the weapon.

https://www.mackspw.com/Browning-Womens-Trapper-Creek-Shooting-Glove?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIttG20-fw1wIV1LfACh2fNAqkEAQYAiABEgI1ufD_BwE

http://www.reloaderaddict.com/best-cold-weather-shooting-gloves-reviews/

http://www.cabelas.com/product/GIRLS-WITH-GUNS-WOMENS-SMART-TOUCH-GLOVE/2416272.uts?slotId=5

good luck - be safe AND warm

rsdengler
12-04-2017, 11:26
Dress the way you would dress to be outside...
...and then practice shooting that way

If you are going to walk around in the winter months without gloves, then by all means, shoot without gloves.
Consider buying yourself a set of thin gloves that will cover your bare skin and still give you enough grip to handle the weapon.

https://www.mackspw.com/Browning-Womens-Trapper-Creek-Shooting-Glove?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIttG20-fw1wIV1LfACh2fNAqkEAQYAiABEgI1ufD_BwE

http://www.reloaderaddict.com/best-cold-weather-shooting-gloves-reviews/

http://www.cabelas.com/product/GIRLS-WITH-GUNS-WOMENS-SMART-TOUCH-GLOVE/2416272.uts?slotId=5

good luck - be safe AND warm

Thanks Box :) I will try "winterizing" myself tonight, and do a little shooting practice. I do like the "thin glove" recommendations, I was unsure of my grip w/gloves but the thin ones may be doable. I may have to go out and get a pair before this weekend...thanks again, I really appreciate the feedback :o

Joker
12-04-2017, 20:30
Get some flight gloves, the smallest that you can get your hands in.

doctom54
12-04-2017, 21:52

That's "Old School" but very good advice.

frostfire
12-11-2017, 12:21

Concur

Not the warmest but an excellent trade off for dexterity.
For some reason most of my army matches took place with temp from 28 to 36F. After the firearms are exposed to the element for a few hours it's nice not to feel an icy trigger.
The issue flight glove served me well throughout. Still have dexterity for that perfect pull, mag release, mag chNge, sight adjustment, etc.
Won't work with touch screen though. I also don't do the hsld cut off the index section.

Team Sergeant
12-11-2017, 17:10

Flight gloves make no difference as far as speed and accuracy, I can attest. They enhance the grip much better than bare hands.

That said, I would not advise their use for civilian shooters unless in a competition. Why? Cause you're not going to be wearing them when the bad-man comes.

We wore them to enhance our bad-man hunting style. ;)

rsdengler
12-11-2017, 17:36
Ha, thanks guys for all the suggestions. I did buy a pair of women's shooting gloves (Browning Women's Trapper Creek) and they do fit like a second skin. I did some "dry shooting", and made sure they felt like I had good grip and was able to handle my weapon without any issues. So, just in case I do need a pair of gloves, I have them. But, because of the lousy winter weather, rain, sleet I was unable to shoot over the weekend. So just call me "Reschedule Rita".....because this is the 2nd time in a month and 1/2. Ha...always my luck recently..Really, thanks again for the advice....Still waiting to reschedule...LOL:lifter

That said, I would not advise their use for civilian shooters unless in a competition. Why? Cause you're not going to be wearing them when the bad-man comes.

We wore them to enhance our bad-man hunting style. ;)

LOL....Got Ya...:o

jw74
12-11-2017, 19:34
Camelback cold weather gloves are a good choice as well. good dexterity and much warmer than they should be given their lack of bulk. Theyre around $45 most places.

JJ_BPK
12-12-2017, 05:33

I have used golf gloves. Pick'm up at your local Fleezs Market, cheap. They are thin and the texture holds a grip when they soak from sweat.

For something more durable, I like the 1/2 finger sailing gloves. Again, the combination of split leather and nylon/rayon materials hold up well in damp conditions.

:munchin

For warmth: https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Hand-Warmers-Pair-Value/dp/B0007ZF4OA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513079435&sr=8-3&keywords=hand+warmers

7624U
12-12-2017, 05:48
Just buy some hunters friends and put one in each pocket and when you have time between warm your hands.
https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-10-count-pack-warmers/dp/B00PGBN11S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1513079794&sr=8-4&keywords=hand+warmers

Taking your gloves off and on will irritate you for all your shooting tasks because you are not used to loading with cold hands for example and the gloves will get in the way of that.

just my .02

7624U
12-12-2017, 05:49
lol JJ posted the hot hands while I was typing

rsdengler
12-12-2017, 14:03
Just buy some hunters friends and put one in each pocket and when you have time between warm your hands.
https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-10-count-pack-warmers/dp/B00PGBN11S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1513079794&sr=8-4&keywords=hand+warmers

Taking your gloves off and on will irritate you for all your shooting tasks because you are not used to loading with cold hands for example and the gloves will get in the way of that.

just my .02

LOL...I had 2 packs of hot hands I already put in my bag, I am 2 on you guys...HA:lifter:lifter

2018commo
12-12-2017, 18:24
Rita,
Try the hot hands under your gloves, on top of your wrists. I use them this way waterfowling and on the skeet range. If really cold, one under your wool cap too.

rsdengler
12-13-2017, 11:53
I think I need one of those "hot hands" right about now, my little cubicle at work is freezing. I think that is why they put me in the back..LOL....

Thanks for the advice on the "hot hands", in weather like this I need my little nubby's warmed; still waiting for my instructor to reschedule my shooting lesson. So, if that is in January...well that's definitely not a nice weather month. :)

Badger52
12-13-2017, 19:24
Rita,
Try the hot hands under your gloves, on top of your wrists. I use them this way waterfowling and on the skeet range. If really cold, one under your wool cap too.That was a good tip for Rita. Wrists = lots of vessels close to the surface. In terms of heat loss they leak worse than a congressional committee.

rsdengler
01-30-2018, 09:11
Hey, I want to thank you guys for all the advice on handguns, shooting and LOL…Gloves. I had another handgun class in December and learned to shot from behind wooden structures, shooting at multiple targets, shooting positions, running from one wooden structure to another to shoot at a target, and malfunctions. It was great, and I did pretty well. Last week I went to one of my husband’s hunting properties and shoot 100 rounds at these stupid “Midget Pygmy” targets which I taped targets too (you know, those political signs you can steal from people’s yards Ha) and I think I did a really great job hitting my targets, even if the targets were Midgets. My father-in-law (who is a retired full bird) shot with one hand, and he’s a damn decent shot; right near the bullseyes every time. :D

I do want to advance my skills with more training, but it looks like at this time my instructor “abandoned” me, and he has not been there for me to ask questions if I were to have issues when I am shooting on my own. So I will look for another instructor; story of my life LOL. I do have a friend that can help me obtain access to a property nearby so I can go out to practice my shooting skills more often. I am in the process of constructing “portable” targets to bring to that location. My own little outdoor shooting range. I think I will incorporate those steel targets as well, I love hearing the “ding” noise when you hit one of those bad boys. Well thanks again for all the help, suggestions and everything else. I will let you know how I improve my skills in the future. :lifter

rsdengler
03-01-2018, 12:39
OK, need some advice on shooting from a holster. As of right now I have not had training with an instructor for drawing from a holster. Should I buy a holster for my handgun and practice drawing? As of right now I need to find another instructor, like I stated before he kind of "abandoned" me, and I really would like additional training. So, my next step is to find another instructor. But in the meantime, any suggestions for someone who has never practiced or had instruction on drawing from a holster?

Thanks for any suggestions :p

Old Dog New Trick
03-01-2018, 13:32
Holsters are like everything else. They come in many different styles, colors and materials. Some have much security built into it and other little to none.

Find the one that right for you and designed for your weapon. Inside the waist band IWB or outside the waistband OWB. A simple thumb break snap over the hammer makes it at least a level 1 retention holster but other factors can come into play. Speed vs Security or location of carry. Don’t cheap out. There are very good holsters that will last a lifetime and holsters that will break in a year or two. Paddle holsters are convenient but actual belt loop attachment is more secure. And then there are all the shirts and undergarment holsters that simply keep it from falling down your outerwear. Roll around on the ground and they will fall out of the pocket.

Once you find the holster you like (know it won’t be the first or last) put it on and move it around until you find a comfortable position. Empty and clear your weapon and get ready to practice practice practice. With your firing hand open it like you are going to shake someone’s hand fingers together thumb extended. Reach straight down over the grip strap putting the web of your thumb up high under the dovetail while rolling your other fingers (not trigger finger) around the grip. If thumb break type release the snap and pull upwards. At this time your trigger finger should rest along the frame directly above the trigger housing and outside the trigger guard. As the muzzle clears the holster rotate the gun up and towards the target.

Pressing out and meeting your support hand. Your support hand should have been in waiting - about lower sternum/upper abdomen in the ‘Namaste’ position. As you punch out with your weapon the two hands should meet and as you continue to present your weapon you should have a preferred shooting grip short of full extension. From here you can hold at high ready or continue to press out to engage the target.

You can practice in front of a mirror or place a piece of tape or a target on the wall and practice a smooth and deliberate draw all the way through to a smooth trigger press (dry fire).

Practice every morning and every night until your muscles and sights align with the target. Add varying degrees of difficulty with concealment garments, jackets and gloves as the case may be.

When you can draw with one hand, your eyes closed and align the sights on that piece of tape consistently you should feel prepared and pretty good about yourself.

DON’T EVER FORGET TO CLEAR and MAKE SAFE and KEEP YOUR FINGER OUTSIDE THE TRIGGER GUARD UNTIL READY TO FIRE!

Good luck Rita!

Old Dog New Trick
03-01-2018, 13:44
Reholster in the reverse order and after making the weapon safe i.e., decock or safefy on. Practice doing this with one hand as best you can. With practice it will become natural.

As you add outerwear you have to learn to sweep shirts and jackets back and away and behind. You will also learn to use your dominant hand thumb as a hook to lift under shirts or jackets that are buttoned or zippered closed. ETA: when in the cold or wet and clothing is obstructing your draw is when your support hand becomes the clearing or tacking hand to press or move clothing away from your holster. No matter what goes wrong - your firing hand should always come down on your weapon with a firing grip from draw. Stupid happens when that doesn’t happen and bad grips lead to bad shooting or worse unintentional discharges.

Always remember to keep your trigger finger outside of the trigger guard while drawing and reholstering.

rsdengler
03-01-2018, 14:03
Sweet, thanks ODNT...I will print out your post so I can reference. I know, practice, practice, practice. I am going shooting over the weekend at the hunting property. I have new targets to try out, plus I have not been out to shoot since January. But I will try to find the best holster for me, and what works best for my handgun and practice my best draw. I know, safety first and always first.

My instructor said he bought me a holster/and magazine pouch but has yet to give them to me. Ha, I may never see that gift anytime soon :) That means I need to send back the Walker Electronic Ear Muffs I bought him...LOL...:D

Thanks for the advice, I will try my hand at it once I find the right holster that I feel comfortable with. Thanks a bunch :o

PSM
03-01-2018, 16:03
This gal has 17 videos on holsters for women: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDdd4k5rQow&list=PL0EAE334EDF19918B The list is to the right of the first video.

As I mentioned in post #21 above, my wife never carries on her body which drives me crazy, I have to keep an extra eye on her purse when we are out. She wears mostly jeans but never with a belt. You've got me as to why she won't just wear a belt for her holster. And she refuses to buy jeans a couple sizes larger for an IWB holster because of vanity. Again, you've got me. She only needs the extra inch or so for her gun.

Another problem women have that men don't is they wear different types of clothing as the girl in the above videos points out. So you will need more holsters than a man would.

Have fun!

Pat

rsdengler
03-02-2018, 05:29
This gal has 17 videos on holsters for women: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDdd4k5rQow&list=PL0EAE334EDF19918B The list is to the right of the first video.

As I mentioned in post #21 above, my wife never carries on her body which drives me crazy, I have to keep an extra eye on her purse when we are out. She wears mostly jeans but never with a belt. You've got me as to why she won't just wear a belt for her holster. And she refuses to buy jeans a couple sizes larger for an IWB holster because of vanity. Again, you've got me. She only needs the extra inch or so for her gun.

Another problem women have that men don't is they wear different types of clothing as the girl in the above videos points out. So you will need more holsters than a man would.

Have fun!

Pat

Thanks Pat, yea women are like that, we like our jeans to fit so we don't walk around with a baggy butt...LOL. But I do wear a belt with a few of my jeans because well,I need one, Ha...I will take a look at the video, I have been looking for a holster to fit my weapon, and comparing them. I really would not put a handgun in my purse, I rather have quick access.

Thanks for the advice:o

cbtengr
03-02-2018, 08:26
Thanks Pat, yea women are like that, we like our jeans to fit so we don't walk around with a baggy butt...LOL. But I do wear a belt with a few of my jeans because well,I need one, Ha...I will take a look at the video, I have been looking for a holster to fit my weapon, and comparing them. I really would not put a handgun in my purse, I rather have quick access.

Thanks for the advice:o

This is a serious thought, perhaps you could come up with a stylish line of jeans for the self conscious concealed carry crowd.

rsdengler
03-02-2018, 08:31
This is a serious thought, perhaps you could come up with a stylish line of jeans for the self conscious concealed carry crowd.

LOL....Hummmmm...sounds like a great idea...I just need a name and logo...hummmmm, have to think...:p

cat in the hat
03-02-2018, 09:31
Practicing in front of a mirror is always helpful but once you reach a level where you are comfortable with your holster, video your practice. You will see your actions more clearly and can make any corrections to smooth out your draw.
Also, get some snap caps and practice reloading.

echoes
03-05-2018, 09:45
Just a quick update on the performance of the sccy cpx-2; My friend/instructor that I shot with last year came down for a visit and mini-vaca at the lake.

During his stay we went to a local store called Blueline Weapons that I had been in contact with about the cpx-2. The proprietor/owner had ordered it for me at a very fair price, and it was great to support a 100% Veteran owned business. (Purchased some self-defense ammo from him as well and got a card for a CCW class.)

Went to Wal-Mart, picked up eye and ear pro, cleaning kit for 9mm, and additional ammo. Thank goodness my friend was with me, as it would have been quite amusing watching me attempt to put together items for a "range bag" by myself.
During our last shoot, my friend had an ammo loader called an "up-lula?" which speeds up the process of loading, but will have to purchase this item separately. But having now practiced with it, it is on the top of my list! Wow.:lifter

Over the weekend we went to an outdoor range in the middle of no-where, (must go with someone who is very adept in finding places no one else could,) and shot about 100 rounds. The biggest thing I noticed about the cpx-2 is that it wants to kick up. My friend and I discussed that it is not like the kick back of a revolver, but up like it wants to escape your grip. And believe me, it tried!

Also, the front sight of the weapon helped me, a beginner, try and hit the targets that were set up side by side. As the pic shows, there is no where to go but up from here. :o “Build muscle memory,” comes to mind.

The practice x 1000 has now commenced, as well as breaking the weapon down, cleaning, oiling, and reassembling, then repeat over and over. And since I put my friend back on a plane home, classes will commence with a local instructor.

That’s it for now. Thanks again for all the great posts in this thread, a lot of great information for a new shooter.

Holly

Joker
03-05-2018, 21:50
You are looking at the target and watching the bullets to see what you are hitting.

Pay attention to the front site ignore the target, except to place the front site on the black.

Front site.
Front site.
Front site.

echoes
03-06-2018, 06:55
You are looking at the target and watching the bullets to see what you are hitting.

Pay attention to the front site ignore the target, except to place the front site on the black.

Front site.
Front site.
Front site.

Thank you for the reply, Joker. Will commit to memory right away.

Holly

PSM
03-06-2018, 09:41
Thank you for the reply, Joker. Will commit to memory right away.

Holly

Commit to memory by dry-firing!

Box
03-06-2018, 14:46
Shooting is like any other performance activity - it takes practice to get good. Like the old saying goes, "the more I practice, the luckier I get." Practice also provides a better payoff when it is positive.

There is no shame in "starting close" when you are learning to shoot. Shooting at a three inch dot from three yards away sounds easy.
It is easy.
It's easy unless you can't keep all of your rounds well inside of the three inch dot. If you cant keep five rounds in a three inch dot at three yards, hitting the x-ring of a 25 yard slow-fire bull target will be damn near impossible.

Try "warming up" by shooting 5-10 well aimed shots at the 3-5 yard line. Shoot as SLOW as you need to shoot to put a shot group completely inside the black dot. Then move back to the 5-7 yard line and work on keeping a shot group in the black. Shooting at a little target is the best way to tighten your shot groups - "aim small, miss small"

The fundamentals are the same no matter WHAT range you are at. If you practice at a range that is overly taxing your command of the fundamentals, your shot group will look like it came from an old 10-gauge goose gun...
...and you will get frustrated and lose focus.

If your command of the fundamentals only reaches out to the 3 yard line then practice at the three yard line for awhile. Practicing at 15-20-25 yards away wont help much if you aren't hitting anything. A tight shot group at 3-5 yards will boost your confidence and keep you in a positive mood as you start moving back to greater distances.

Just don't fall into the trap of training "too close" - you still need to stretch it out or you will ever get any better than a 3-inch group at 5 yards.

echoes
03-06-2018, 17:25
Shooting is like any other performance activity - it takes practice to get good. Like the old saying goes, "the more I practice, the luckier I get." Practice also provides a better payoff when it is positive.

There is no shame in "starting close" when you are learning to shoot. Shooting at a three inch dot from three yards away sounds easy.
It is easy.
It's easy unless you can't keep all of your rounds well inside of the three inch dot. If you cant keep five rounds in a three inch dot at three yards, hitting the x-ring of a 25 yard slow-fire bull target will be damn near impossible.

Try "warming up" by shooting 5-10 well aimed shots at the 3-5 yard line. Shoot as SLOW as you need to shoot to put a shot group completely inside the black dot. Then move back to the 5-7 yard line and work on keeping a shot group in the black. Shooting at a little target is the best way to tighten your shot groups - "aim small, miss small"

The fundamentals are the same no matter WHAT range you are at. If you practice at a range that is overly taxing your command of the fundamentals, your shot group will look like it came from an old 10-gauge goose gun...
...and you will get frustrated and lose focus.

If your command of the fundamentals only reaches out to the 3 yard line then practice at the three yard line for awhile. Practicing at 15-20-25 yards away wont help much if you aren't hitting anything. A tight shot group at 3-5 yards will boost your confidence and keep you in a positive mood as you start moving back to greater distances.

Just don't fall into the trap of training "too close" - you still need to stretch it out or you will ever get any better than a 3-inch group at 5 yards.

Thanks so much for the reply. Very good points to apply!!!

Just checked with my friend, and it was only 7 yards.

(((shrug))):confused:

Will be reading, and re-reading all of the great advice in this thread...after all, ya'll QP's are the Best. And the goal is to only to get better and better, so if god forbid, that time comes when I have to defend myself, Sis, home etc..., I can...long road ahead!

Holly

rsdengler
03-14-2018, 08:43
OK, as you know, I am in the mist of purchasing a holster for my Glock 19 (Don't say it, Don't say it) Someone suggested a Safariland ALS (Single Thumb activated button), any thoughts? I am going to continue training with a NEW Instructor in April, and his course teaches drawing and shooting from a holster so I need to find one soon. I do have a guy in PA that makes holsters, so I may try him as well since he is local to me, and I am going to look at guns next week so I will look at holsters too.

So, any help is gladly appreciated. I may even buy you a pound of a nice, dark roast coffee, bottle of Wine, or Liquor (whatever you fancy Ha) if you are the winner of my selection. LOL

Box
03-14-2018, 09:16
How do you plan on carrying that pistol?

A simple kydex paddle holster can cover a lot of different applications without having to give away a day or two worth of your paycheck.

Good leather is awesome, but it comes with a price and a break in period.

If it is an everyday concealment holster that you are going to wear inside the waistband, it will need to be sturdy enough that it doesn't collapse on itself after you draw the pistol.

If you are looking for a good holster setup that is mostly for range use, your choices will also need to change.

I personally don't like "buttons" for retention but if you have to have an ALS with a button, I'd look at one of these...
http://www.safariland.com/products/holsters-and-gear/holsters/concealable-holsters/paddle/model-7378-7ts-als-concealment-paddle-and-belt-loop-combo-holster-34851.html#start=1
...I use one at work with the M17 Sig and I don't hate it.

If I am buying it with my own money, I prefer Galco over Safariland.

Again, how and where you want to carry the gun have a lot to do with what type of holster you should be looking for.

rsdengler
03-14-2018, 09:30
How do you plan on carrying that pistol?

A simple kydex paddle holster can cover a lot of different applications without having to give away a day or two worth of your paycheck.

Good leather is awesome, but it comes with a price and a break in period.

If it is an everyday concealment holster that you are going to wear inside the waistband, it will need to be sturdy enough that it doesn't collapse on itself after you draw the pistol.

If you are looking for a good holster setup that is mostly for range use, your choices will also need to change.

I personally don't like "buttons" for retention but if you have to have an ALS with a button, I'd look at one of these...
http://www.safariland.com/products/holsters-and-gear/holsters/concealable-holsters/paddle/model-7378-7ts-als-concealment-paddle-and-belt-loop-combo-holster-34851.html#start=1
...I use one at work with the M17 Sig and I don't hate it.

If I am buying it with my own money, I prefer Galco over Safariland.

Again, how and where you want to carry the gun have a lot to do with what type of holster you should be looking for.

Box Man :)

I don't plan on carrying as a concealed weapon (State of MD sucks with that) Nor do I want to carry one like Wyatt Earp-LOL. Ah, the smell of Leather, I can look (and feel) at something like that. I just want it for Range training purposes only. Does that help? I was looking at Safariland. I will take a gander at Galco, I just wanted insight on what someone suggested to me.

Thanks for the information; I just think you want to "win" the bottle of liquor....LOL:p

Box
03-14-2018, 11:35
guns, leather, and alcohol do not mix well - someone always gets injured

bblhead672
03-15-2018, 07:03
OK, as you know, I am in the mist of purchasing a holster for my Glock 19 (Don't say it, Don't say it) Someone suggested a Safariland ALS (Single Thumb activated button), any thoughts? I am going to continue training with a NEW Instructor in April, and his course teaches drawing and shooting from a holster so I need to find one soon. I do have a guy in PA that makes holsters, so I may try him as well since he is local to me, and I am going to look at guns next week so I will look at holsters too.

So, any help is gladly appreciated. I may even buy you a pound of a nice, dark roast coffee, bottle of Wine, or Liquor (whatever you fancy Ha) if you are the winner of my selection. LOL

You may want to ask your new instructor what kind of holster he requires for the drawing from holster class. The classes I took required a OWB hip holster for safety purposes.
I have a variety of holsters for concealed and open carry. I use a OWB holster from Comp Tac for training classes. He has a few women's models as well:
http://comp-tac.com/holsters/womens-holsters/

Box
03-15-2018, 07:28
Comp-Tac has some really great gear.

Their 'BeltFeed' ammo pouch is one of my next purchases....

rsdengler
03-15-2018, 09:26
You may want to ask your new instructor what kind of holster he requires for the drawing from holster class. The classes I took required a OWB hip holster for safety purposes.
I have a variety of holsters for concealed and open carry. I use a OWB holster from Comp Tac for training classes. He has a few women's models as well:
http://comp-tac.com/holsters/womens-holsters/

Thanks, yes he did say something about training with a plastic molded holster like Safariland at first, and when I get more confident I can switch to another one if I wanted. Like that nice, smooth, Corinthian Leather one...LOL:D

bblhead672
03-15-2018, 13:19
Thanks, yes he did say something about training with a plastic molded holster like Safariland at first, and when I get more confident I can switch to another one if I wanted. Like that nice, smooth, Corinthian Leather one...LOL:D

I've begun purchasing leather holsters and mag carriers for my carry pistols. I have to admit I like how they look when I wearing them. Even if they don't match my shoes! :D

Team Sergeant
03-15-2018, 14:08
Don't purchase a kydex holster........... so many reasons why.

Leather or nylon is your friend as far as holsters go.

And there's no such this as "womens" holsters....... as there are holsters for big guns and little guns. Sales gimmick.

Just say "no" to kydex holsters. ;)

rsdengler
03-16-2018, 04:36
Don't purchase a kydex holster........... so many reasons why.

Leather or nylon is your friend as far as holsters go.

And there's no such this as "womens" holsters....... as there are holsters for big guns and little guns. Sales gimmick.

Just say "no" to kydex holsters. ;)

Gee...so many choices......I will put nylon on my list as well...I most likely will purchase a leather one later; Ahhh Leather.....:p

rsdengler
04-20-2018, 16:25
OK, another dilemma question. Since my Glock 19 has the nice plastic factory sights (sarcasm LOL), I was thinking about having them replaced with steel sights. A friend of mine suggested Frank Proctor Y Notch Sights which has a serrated rear/and front fiber optic sight. So, any opinions or other advice on steel replacement sights for my Glock?

Oh, and by the way we did buy a new pistol and I think TS would be so proud. A HK VP 9....sweet...now I need to have some time to shoot that bad boy.....:D Maybe I will take it to my training May 5th to get some usage out of it.

PSM
04-20-2018, 20:29
OK, another dilemma question. Since my Glock 19 has the nice plastic factory sights (sarcasm LOL), I was thinking about having them replaced with steel sights. A friend of mine suggested Frank Proctor Y Notch Sights which has a serrated rear/and front fiber optic sight. So, any opinions or other advice on steel replacement sights for my Glock?

Oh, and by the way we did buy a new pistol and I think TS would be so proud. A HK VP 9....sweet...now I need to have some time to shoot that bad boy.....:D Maybe I will take it to my training May 5th to get some usage out of it.

I'd just say, if you've already got the HK, shoot that before you worry about the Glock sights. ;)

The Reaper
04-20-2018, 20:56

I prefer night sights.

My favorite are the Trijicons, but take a look at several brands and pick the ones you prefer.

Stick with the green dots, the sights will remain visible longer.

Alternate is the combo tritium and fiber optic, like the Tru-Glo.

They are easily found on line.

Unless you have installed a set before, I recommend that you have a gunsmith put them on. The front one takes an odd wrench and the back some hammering, or a sight removal tool.

The factory Glock sights suck. Good upgrade.

TR

rsdengler
04-24-2018, 09:56
I prefer night sights.

My favorite are the Trijicons, but take a look at several brands and pick the ones you prefer.

Unless you have installed a set before, I recommend that you have a gunsmith put them on. The front one takes an odd wrench and the back some hammering, or a sight removal tool.

TR

TR: Thanks, I will do some research on some others and narrow it down. I do have to say I like the green sights. The HK VP9 that I just bought has them, and they are sweet. I do intend on having them installed by a gunsmith, I would never try that on my own. LOL....:)

frostfire
05-03-2018, 02:50
I prefer night sights.

TR

I can attest to the resiliency and ease of use of Tru-Glo TFO. 6 years later, the tritium still shines. Mine is yellow rear and green front. That contrast is extremely easy to pick from bright sun to pitch black. Your countless encounter with traffic stops already conditions you with green = go....so from acquire to engage it should take less than 0.03
The steel frame has withstood years of getting banged/dinged/scraped during classes and various competitions. I do have to put thin layer of paint to stop the exposed past from rust though

Also came across this excellent tips:
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2018/4/26/5-self-defense-tips-for-women/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0518

rsdengler
05-03-2018, 04:38
I can attest to the resiliency and ease of use of Tru-Glo TFO. 6 years later, the tritium still shines. Mine is yellow rear and green front. That contrast is extremely easy to pick from bright sun to pitch black. Your countless encounter with traffic stops already conditions you with green = go....so from acquire to engage it should take less than 0.03
The steel frame has withstood years of getting banged/dinged/scraped during classes and various competitions. I do have to put thin layer of paint to stop the exposed past from rust though

Also came across this excellent tips:
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2018/4/26/5-self-defense-tips-for-women/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0518

Thanks, those are great tips. That's why I have an instructor, because working with people with that kind of experience makes you more situationally aware; not only in your shooting practices, but in everyday life. Funny that you found something from Shooting Illustrated, I get that magazine....LOL..

Great advice on the sights as well....:o

rsdengler
05-10-2018, 07:34
Hey, thanks to everyone who gave me such great advice. I went to another training class 5/5 & I did great. I had no issues what so ever with my first time drawing from a holster. I really had a blast, and my new instructor is awesome, funny as crap too. A bit hyper , and addicted to Tic-Tacs like me. He said I did really well, and he taught me a lot more than my other instructor. I just have to practice not to "jerk" the trigger. A little dry firing practice at night, and I need to slow it down when I pull the trigger after I hit the 80% wall; all in mind to take my time the last 20% before I pull the trigger.

My next training won't be until around September, my "other half" thinks I don't need the classes. But I think I still need a bit more instruction. Plus I want too do it and it's my money...HA..... So hurry up hunting season....LOL:D