PDA

View Full Version : M1a precision stock from Springfield

Brush Okie
07-11-2017, 23:19
Here is a video of course it says it is the best thing since sliced bread. Anyone used one? impressions? god bad or ugly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54JMqe1bQsc

PSM
07-12-2017, 00:15
...it says it is the best thing since sliced bread

Does anyone know what the "best thing" was before sliced bread? :confused:

Pat

Razor
07-12-2017, 07:52
Does anyone know what the "best thing" was before sliced bread? :confused:

Pat

A good bread knife?

G2squared
07-12-2017, 22:43
I believe that's actually an Archangel stock. A copy/knock off of another company's( J Allen) attempt at the same design but theirs was sooooo much more expensive and the company failed to deliver in reasonable times. I had one on order for 4 years!! and no delivery. I was SUPER excited to see someone else delivering at less than 25% of the cost!! M1As are a bit tricky to get good bedding on due to the way the gas system works but there are design appears to be a good match for the M1A. But I haven't shot one yet.

PSM
07-12-2017, 22:47
A good bread knife?

Hmm. Makes since. Thanks! :D

Pat

Team Sergeant
07-14-2017, 12:24
Any synthetic stock is going to help with accuracy. The butt stock is adjustable, these days no big deal. They have shotgun stocks that are adjustable.

Most semi-autos are not as accurate as bolt guns.

America has stopped "inventing" rifles, now we just dress-up the one hundred year old ones..............

You want a very accurate (the best) semi-auto look at the HK PSG-1.

Brush Okie
07-14-2017, 13:40
Any synthetic stock is going to help with accuracy. The butt stock is adjustable, these days no big deal. They have shotgun stocks that are adjustable.

America has stopped "inventing" rifles, now we just dress-up the one hundred year old ones..............

Thanks. I like my M1a and put a military take off synthetc years ago. It works well with iron sights but not high enough with the scope. It is a loaded version with match barrel and sights. I put in a match gas piston and unitized the front band. I am happy with its accuracy I get with it but the cheek weld with a scope sucks. I have used the old ground pad and duct tape but that screws up the iron placement so i thought this might be nice with adjustable cheek rest. I have also thought of making an adjustable rest but dont want to screw up my current stock.

Peregrino
07-14-2017, 13:44

Fanboy! :p Besides - the M-1 action is only 80 years old. (And I'll take a "personalized" AR 10 variant over the PSG any day of the week; they're better rifles - by an order of magnitude.) :munchin

Brush Okie
07-14-2017, 15:51
Fanboy! :p Besides - the M-1 action is only 80 years old. (And I'll take a "personalized" AR 10 variant over the PSG any day of the week; they're better rifles - by an order of magnitude.) :munchin

The correct answer is one of each :)

The funny thing is the AR was designed in the 1950s with the action/gas system derived from the Johnson rifle of the 1930s. Not saying it is a bad rifle just funny how old many of these supposed new designs are.

For precision work i have a couple of bolt actions.

Axe
07-14-2017, 22:29
The one PSG I've ever handled, which was a demo shooter at an H&K class in VA, had the worst trigger I had ever seen on a rifle, period, let alone what is supposed to be a precision rifle. Century Arms HK91 clones have better triggers than that gun did.

I was shocked that H&K let any students touch that gun, let alone shoot it, considering how bad the trigger was. They should have left it in the vault or hanging on the wall. I had always heard that the PSG-1 was a great rifle, but after seeing it, I was no longer a believer. Even the H&K rep said the triggers sucked. They did not do themselves any favors by demoing that gun.

Maybe things were better earlier, and quality control changed for the worse at some point later in the game, and that is what I got to handle, but as a result I wouldn't take one if it were given to me unless I could shoot it first to see how the trigger was.

frostfire
07-15-2017, 06:44
While the idea of the stock is novel, I thought the reason of still using M1A is for wood lovers only :p My first high power coach, a USMC Scout Sniper honor grad and P100, went back to get his high second master designation using the M1A just for that reason. I loved the M1A too for offhand because of that loooong sight radius, but my seated and prone rapid were destroyed. Not very forgiving of bad position.

I would have loved to handle a PSG1. Deutsche Ingenieurin!
This is the most current and elaborate review I've come across
http://www.snipercentral.com/hk-psg-1-full-review/
Looks like it lives up to its hype and was truly ahead of its time. Yes...only 3 shots group and it has 26" barrel but it outshot my OBR damnit.

I wouldn't spend the money though. Now I am looking for Armalite, Seekins, or Savage upper in 6.5 Creedmoor to fit in the PRS-Geissele national match OBR lower I've become one with

R3V3LATIONS
07-16-2017, 07:38
Frostfire, PM sent reference my Seekins SP10 for sale.

Team Sergeant
07-17-2017, 12:39
The one PSG I've ever handled, which was a demo shooter at an H&K class in VA, had the worst trigger I had ever seen on a rifle, period, let alone what is supposed to be a precision rifle. Century Arms HK91 clones have better triggers than that gun did.

And you are a trained Special Operations/Special Forces sniper? With decades behind various weapons platforms? :munchin

Team Sergeant
07-17-2017, 12:41

Fanboy........

So if I drove a Rolls and said it was the best in it's class I'd be a fanboy? :p

The HK PSG-1 is the best in it's class. But there is a drawback.

Peregrino
07-17-2017, 13:32
Fanboy........

So if I drove a Rolls and said it was the best in it's class I'd be a fanboy? :p

The HK PSG-1 is the best in it's class. But there is a drawback.

I'll cheerfully concede "best in it's class" given its class is DMR - not PSR. It's a fancy G3, just like the M21 is a fancy M14. If I need a gas gun for precision work, I'll stick with a custom AR10 variant. It's a much better platform, usually for less cost than the PSG (too many fanboys willing to pay H&K anything they ask just for the name and the "privilege" of being abused by Teutonic customer service reps). MOO, YMMV! :p

Team Sergeant
07-17-2017, 16:01
I'll cheerfully concede "best in it's class" given its class is DMR - not PSR. It's a fancy G3, just like the M21 is a fancy M14. If I need a gas gun for precision work, I'll stick with a custom AR10 variant. It's a much better platform, usually for less cost than the PSG (too many fanboys willing to pay H&K anything they ask just for the name and the "privilege" of being abused by Teutonic customer service reps). MOO, YMMV! :p

A custom AR10 variant is nice. But just like knives only a few are made really well. I'll stick with an established PSR, HK fits that bill nicely. Not sure how you come up with "DMR". And I've no idea where that term came from anyway......

I didn't realize that the M14 upgrade to M21 also sported a "free floating " barrel? (and I have many years with this rifle) The G3 upgrade to PSG-1 does. (Yeah, take that. :p)

Don't just take my educated sniper opinion..... the only thing I have against this review is the "reviewer" does not state what other less cheap rifles do the same or better? (Not that I'd purchase a PSG-1 anyway, too damn expensive.)

Doesn't really matter anymore, if I was to get real serious I'd opt for a .338.

PSM
07-17-2017, 16:27
Don't just take my educated sniper opinion..... the only thing I have against this review is the "reviewer" does not state what other less cheap rifles do the same or better? (Not that I'd purchase a PSG-1 anyway, too damn expensive.)

How the review came about is interesting, too: http://www.snipercentral.com/our-psg-1-story/

Pat

Axe
07-17-2017, 23:47
And you are a trained Special Operations/Special Forces sniper? With decades behind various weapons platforms? :munchin

Not by any means. I wouldn't make a good pimple on a Special Forces sniper's ass.

I'm drawing from my experience shooting precision rifles as an LEO and civilian. I've shot enough rifles to feel competent enough to state that the trigger on that particular PSG-1 I shot was not good.

The HK instructor who agreed with me about the poor quality of the trigger was a former SMU guy, FWIW.

JJ_BPK
07-18-2017, 05:13
How the review came about is interesting, too: http://www.snipercentral.com/our-psg-1-story/

Pat

I wonder if the " liquidating confiscated drug weapons company" returned the money to the LEO org "Chief of Police criminal made up a purchase order for the rifle from his department, "

Or sold the rifle twice?? at higher price because of the NEW "Provenance"?

Interested minds want to know.. :munchin