PDA

View Full Version : Forged My First Knife

TWITCHY
07-01-2017, 22:57
Over the past 6 months I have grown very interested in blacksmithing. A lot of that interest has come about from discussions on this site, Forged in Fire, Alec Steele and many other YouTube channels.

I have been trying to learn as much as I can and I am trying to slowly buy some equipment, as well. I stopped by a local farrier shop (Well Shod), on a Tuesday, just to see what they had in the store. It just so happens that they do a free forge night on the first and third Tuesdays of every month, so I went back later that night. One of the employees set me up on a forge and had me straighten a horseshoe and then make it into a circle. I even forge welded the shoe to make it a true circle.

I went back last Tuesday and he handed me a farrier's rasp to play with, so I decided to make a knife. I've attached a pic of the finished knife. I think it turned out okay, but there are several issues, some I would consider critical. It may be a wall-hanger, but it's still my first knife. Sorry, for the long post and I welcome any feedback or questions.

JJ_BPK
07-02-2017, 05:15
I went back last Tuesday and he handed me a farrier's rasp to play with, so I decided to make a knife.

Not a spurt,, But I think you did good.

Nice lines, Like the handle w/lanyard hole, Good working blade length.

Congratulations.. :lifter

BuckiBill
07-02-2017, 10:37
Nice.

I want to do that someday also.

Bucket list item to pass to son.

Bill Harsey
07-03-2017, 08:04
Good looking first knife.
The most expensive part of making a knife is our time.
Yes you can make a knife from a file but if i had any advice to offer it would be don't screw around with found materials like old files.
Use good steels, homework may be required.

Now get back to work, I want to see what knife number 100 looks like.

TOMAHAWK9521
07-03-2017, 08:50
Good looking first knife.

Now get back to work, I want to see what knife number 100 looks like.

Dang! No slack from the master! :D:D

Team Sergeant
07-03-2017, 09:30
Dang! No slack from the master! :D:D

I think it was kind of "Master" to take the time to comment on said knife work......

And I agree, I want to see knife #100

(I think we've rubbed off on him!) ;)

TWITCHY
07-03-2017, 10:05
Thank you, all, for the feedback and taking the time to comment. It has been a fun learning experience and I look forward to learning more. 1 down 99 to go!

bblhead672
07-03-2017, 13:08
Looks like a lot of time and sweat....think I'll go the route of just buying one of Mr. Harsey's designs. :D

mcarey
07-06-2017, 07:15
Very nice for your first one. Put it away and bring it out when you get to that 100 and you will se your progress clearly! Keep at it!