PDA

View Full Version : Muzzleloading Rifle Accuracy

Team Sergeant
06-26-2017, 09:51
OK you black powder buffs, how accurate are some of the "new" muzzleloaders on the market?

I have shot them, long ago, but not the new ones. Looking for an accurate muzzleloading rifle that can take an elk.

PRB
06-26-2017, 12:15
OK you black powder buffs, how accurate are some of the "new" muzzleloaders on the market?

I have shot them, long ago, but not the new ones. Looking for an accurate muzzleloading rifle that can take an elk.

Very accurate TS....my flintlocks that are made in the same manner they would have been in the 60's....1760's are damned accurate...they often buttonhole lead.
That is with round ball/patch. Within 100 yards I've outshot guys with modern iron site rifles.

What you need to do is work up your powder loads for accuracy at specific ranges.

Pete
06-26-2017, 12:57
....What you need to do is work up your powder loads for accuracy at specific ranges.

What he said

Consistency is the word in black powder shooting.

Patched round ball, concave base, slugs and sabot rounds are used in different BP rifles.

I assume TS is referring to the modern in line rifles.

Check the state regs for the area you plan to hunt elk in. Some may have a minimum cal. for elk.

Get the rifle and work up the loads and distance. Know the distance in the field and don't exceed it.

JJ_BPK
06-26-2017, 19:02
What he said

Consistency is the word in black powder shooting.

Patched round ball, concave base, slugs and sabot rounds are used in different BP rifles.

I assume TS is referring to the modern in line rifles.

Check the state regs for the area you plan to hunt elk in. Some may have a minimum cal. for elk.

Get the rifle and work up the loads and distance. Know the distance in the field and don't exceed it.

Along with a min caliber,, There were a couple states that took "primitive" to task.. They distinguished flint rifles from cap,, and some went so far as to block the new bolt action cap rifles as only for rifle season.

I have a 54 cal Renegade(35yrs old),, when I hunted on a regular basis I weighed each slug and only carried 5-6 slugs that were nearly the same wt.

As to cal,, I think the current idea is either a 45 or 50. The 54 is about dead.

Team Sergeant
06-27-2017, 18:32
From what I've read 100m is about it for any serious accuracy. I figure if I put in for bow, black powder and modern rifle I have a much better chance of bringing an elk home. Thanks for the insight.

PRB
06-27-2017, 21:14
You can push that out to 150 with a large caliber and accurate barrel....and some support.....follow thru too...even with a cap rifle....aim, squeeze and hold on target longer than you would with a smokeless....a good rifle has quick ignition but never quite as fast as a modern arm.
Actually, the paper patch muzzle loading crowd shoot out to 1200 yards with great accuracy and their match ranges are 1000, 1100 and 1200 yard shoots.

TOMAHAWK9521
06-28-2017, 09:25
From what I've read 100m is about it for any serious accuracy. I figure if I put in for bow, black powder and modern rifle I have a much better chance of bringing an elk home. Thanks for the insight.

That's pretty much the path I'm following. I'm getting back into traditional archery and have been looking for a quality traditional muzzle loader. As for caliber, an old outfitter friend always recommends the .54 instead of .50. He's the wise old man on the mountain and his advice has never been wrong. Just saying...

PRB
06-28-2017, 10:56
That's pretty much the path I'm following. I'm getting back into traditional archery and have been looking for a quality traditional muzzle loader. As for caliber, an old outfitter friend always recommends the .54 instead of .50. He's the wise old man on the mountain and his advice has never been wrong. Just saying...

All of my flintlocks are in .54 cal, I make my own rounds but there are numerous places to purchase them

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/
http://www.logcabinshop.com/
http://dixiegunworks.com/?ammoland

When working up loads for accuracy weigh each round/bullet for consistency and keep that practice.