PDA

View Full Version : Languages?

MH60
06-16-2017, 17:58
I'm currently in the qualification course and would like to get some clarification on what languages Soldiers in 5th Special Forces group have.

Peregrino
06-16-2017, 20:37
Honestly that's not something you need to worry about. Assuming you haven't gotten far enough along to be assigned a language, it'll be whichever one we tell you you're getting. Primarily Arabic (if you have the aptitude). No - I'm not fucking with you. You don't get to pick your language. I know these things because the guys that figure out the language assignments work with me. They tell SWCS what the Regiment needs and SWCS produces it.

And whichever language you wind up with - do your best. It would really suck to deliberately flunk out of Arabic thinking they'll just recycle you into French and suddenly find yourself dropped with a NTR for a LOM and reassigned for the needs of the Army. LOM is a character flaw we can't afford to tolerate (and the standards are pretty rigid at the moment).

MH60
06-17-2017, 17:36
You are 100% right, thanks for the help.

Mack015x
02-28-2018, 20:03
At the risk of high-jacking your thread, I think the greater risk would be creating a redundant one.

I definitely understand the lack of choice on your language, but my question for anyone that knows, what if you already display a degree of proficiency? For example, someone testing in Arabic as a 2/2 on the DLPT and/or a 3 on the OPI. Is there still a chance SWC would assign them to 1st Group to study Korean? I've also heard a rumor that SWC Arabic students only take the OPI now and no longer the DLPT. I know the general advice given would be to wait until I get to that point, but depending on the answer, I want to shape my study habits sooner rather than later.

Thanks,

-Roger

Joker
02-28-2018, 21:30
At the risk of high-jacking your thread, I think the greater risk would be creating a redundant one.

I definitely understand the lack of choice on your language, but my question for anyone that knows, what if you already display a degree of proficiency? For example, someone testing in Arabic as a 2/2 on the DLPT and/or a 3 on the OPI. Is there still a chance SWC would assign them to 1st Group to study Korean? I've also heard a rumor that SWC Arabic students only take the OPI now and no longer the DLPT. I know the general advice given would be to wait until I get to that point, but depending on the answer, I want to shape my study habits sooner rather than later.

Thanks,

-Roger

See your statement above in bold lime. You are a long way (in some cases a career) away from worrying about language. Concentrate on the 3-meter target before the 5-meter target before you get dropped from worrying about the 1,000-meter target.

scooter
02-28-2018, 21:31

Thanks,

-Roger

I saw this happen several times when I went through, particularly to Spanish speakers. But I also saw a guy with a 3/3 in Mandarin get Tagalog.... This could vary greatly year to year, but it happens.

7624U
03-01-2018, 17:04
my question for anyone that knows, what if you already display a degree of proficiency? For example, someone testing in Arabic as a 2/2 on the DLPT and/or a 3 on the OPI. Is there still a chance SWC would assign them to 1st Group to study Korean? I've also heard a rumor that SWC Arabic students only take the OPI now and no longer the DLPT. I know the general advice given would be to wait until I get to that point, but depending on the answer, I want to shape my study habits sooner rather than later.

Thanks,

-Roger

You can make a formal request to skip the language portion of the Q-course with a minimum of a 2/2 in one of the following languages.

Arabic MSA
Arabic/Egyptian Dialect
Arabic/Levantine
Chinese
French
Korean
Indonesian
Russian
Persian/Farsi
Spanish
Portuguese
Tagalog

Still not a sure thing that the request will be granted, It's all based on needs of the force (MOS). Also the listed Languages are current as of today that does not mean they will be the same months from now again needs of the Force.

Mack015x
03-06-2018, 06:23
I appreciate the input!