PDA

View Full Version : How much time in your unit before SF?

Grendel
01-18-2005, 15:22
Hello-

My name is Phil, and this is my first post, so I'll briefly introduce myself. I'm a 20 year old college student majoring in Mass Communications with a Concentration in Audio / Visual Broadcasting. I'm also minoring in History as well as Speech Commnuication (English & Arabic).

How long did you all serve in your units before applying to SF? I'm posting in this forum because I would one day like to be apart of the 5th SFG, my apologies if this question is in the wrong forum. Thanks in advance,

-Phil

Jack Moroney (RIP)
01-18-2005, 15:25
I applied the day after I arrived in my first unit.

Jack Moroney

The Reaper
01-18-2005, 15:51
Two years.

TR

QRQ 30
01-18-2005, 18:19
I was never non-SF. I applied in BAC.

Dan
01-18-2005, 19:18
After 6.5 years as a 12B...I quickly came to my senses after my first three months as a Platoon Sergeant. I enjoyed being a Squad Leader for the most part, but as a Platoon Sergeant I hated being cooped up doing administrative stuff.

Basenshukai
01-18-2005, 19:23
Three years before applying to SF.

NousDefionsDoc
01-18-2005, 21:07
3 years plus 20 months as a civilian to let the 82nd forget my name.

I applied the day after I arrived in my first unit.

Jack Moroney

LOL :lifter :lifter

Another one for quote of the year!

Team Sergeant
01-18-2005, 21:35
[QUOTE=NousDefionsDoc]3 years plus 20 months as a civilian to let the 82nd forget my name.

Ditto 3 years with the Jumping Junkies and 24 months as a sillyvilan.

brownapple
01-19-2005, 08:40
2 years in the 101st.

Eagle5US
01-19-2005, 13:19
5.5 years

PA

Airbornelawyer
01-19-2005, 15:21
Hello-

My name is Phil, and this is my first post, so I'll briefly introduce myself. I'm a 20 year old college student majoring in Mass Communications with a Concentration in Audio / Visual Broadcasting. I'm also minoring in History as well as Speech Commnuication (English & Arabic).

How long did you all serve in your units before applying to SF? I'm posting in this forum because I would one day like to be apart of the 5th SFG, my apologies if this question is in the wrong forum. Thanks in advance,

-PhilYou are talking about enlisting in the Army? You say you are in college; I assume you are not in ROTC or considering applying for OCS out of college? If you were an officer the course is pretty much set. You have to be a 1st Lieutenant promotable (1LT(P)) to apply for SFAS and have completed your branch's captain's career course before going to the Q course. So that's about three years there.

If, based on the Arabic study, you think you might enter the Army as a linguist or MI soldier, there is a chance you could get assigned to 5th Group in a support position right out of your initial entry training. That might help you decide whether it is the life for you. Based on your major, there is also psyop.

The Reaper
01-19-2005, 17:14
You have to be a 1st Lieutenant promotable (1LT(P)) to apply for SFAS and have completed your branch's captain's career course before going to the Q course.

Not exactly.

After SFAS, we now send all officers to the Infantry Captain's Career Course prior to attending Phase II, few if any attend their own CCC due to the time line involved.

TR

rudelsg2
01-22-2005, 09:14
5 years in the 82nd. Almost 4 years before I went to selection and then I had to wait almost another year before the Q.

That was the most enjoyable year of my life, I was taken off all the school rosters immediately upon return (to included BNCOC, so I couldn't get promoted) and my wonderful BN CSM tried to take my squad from me.

The Reaper
01-22-2005, 09:59
5 years in the 82nd. Almost 4 years before I went to selection and then I had to wait almost another year before the Q.

That was the most enjoyable year of my life, I was taken off all the school rosters immediately upon return (to included BNCOC, so I couldn't get promoted) and my wonderful BN CSM tried to take my squad from me.

Unfortunately, that happens a lot, especially with the 82nd.

Some Brigades are worse than others, but I suspect that it has always been that way, ever since COL Bank picked his first team.

TR

Martin
01-22-2005, 11:25
Is there any upside to having your squad taken over by somebody else in that last year?

Since I do not have the experience, this obviously is probably not how it works, but the thought I had was that the presence of the previous leader who shows respect and helps integrate into the group the new squad leader, could thus get the team homestead with the new leader faster and, perhaps, further motivate (by the presence of another one pushing ahead).

I understand that there can be other nasty happenings during the wait or application, but another thread was pretty thorough on that.

Please disregard this if it is a dumb question.

TerribleTobyt
02-09-2005, 12:12
I had no such auspicious beginnings as other of my SF Brothers. 9 months as a Leg Spoon, followed by another year waiting for Jump School.

Whats that old saying, it takes a man to admit mistakes, it takes a Real Man to admit to mistakes before Millions!!!!! :D :rolleyes:

lurch
02-16-2005, 20:57
In 1969 there was an SF recruiter waiting at Fort Ord ( and other basic training post I presume) for those who had scored well on the basic entry tests. He (an SFC in Khakis with a chest full of decorations and wearing a Green Beret) came in front of the formation called out a few names of individuals to take a battery of tests to determine if they would be suited for SF Training. Therefore, my career path was Basic, AIT 12B, Parachute training and then to Phase 1 of the Q course. Completed Phase 3 in May of 70 and in August I was at CCN in Recon Co.

Of course I see now that things have changed and I admire those that are now becoming qualified as they really are "the best of the best of the best"

SFRADIOMAN
02-21-2005, 22:03
My brother was SF in 64 - 66 and as I enlisted in Jan 66, I enlisted strictly for SF. I had to do basic, AIT and then jump school all of which took 6 months and I reported to Bragg on my 20th birthday. Spent the next 2 1/2 years in SF.

Joe L.

TheCommoDude
05-22-2007, 13:18
I think this would be the appropriate place for me to post, I'm already introduced. There have been several factors that ultimately led me to the conclusion that I want to be a special forces soldier. For one, judging from the quality of new soldiers arriving at my unit as we're gearing up for deployment reinforces my thoughts that I want to be with the best people I can be when the shit hits the fan or period. Secondly, being of middle eastern decent, and having a basic grasp of Arabic (which I'm improving daily with Rosetta Stone) I think that I could be a valuable asset to whatever team I'm assigned to, not to mention that I have a burning desire to have an active part in rebuilding Iraq (i.e. helping to train their security forces.) I guess it's obvious that I want to go to 5th group...

Although it's a dream of mine (possibly a little bit of an obsession) to earn a green beret, I put the majority of my plans on hold to get ready for 15 months in Baghdad. For the time being I'm going to be lurking around the site, which I gotta say is awsome, and gleaning as much knowledge as I can.

blue02hd
05-22-2007, 16:32
4 years Rgr Bn in a rifle platoon, 1 year 101st as a SL in the same.

QRQ 30
05-22-2007, 16:42
ZERO "conventional time". SF ALL THE WAY for 15 years.

kgoerz
05-22-2007, 16:52
My first 14 months in the Army I didn't have a patch on my uniform. Basic, Jump School, Phase one and Two. Then a two point question I got wrong was mysteriously discovered. In a test I took months before. Finished Phase Two with 699 points. Was sent packing to the 82nd for two years. They didn't like privates back then
Returned to the Q-Course and passed. I wasn't the only one. All the privates that finished Phase Two with a little over the required 700 points. Had all their test reviewed. No test review for people a little under 700 points. About six of us were re-graded to put us under the 700 points. No recycles were given. Bad deal for a lot of guys back then
When I did go back one of the other privates in this group was in the same class as me, small world. We both passed the second time. We both returned for the same reason. To finish what we started years before.
Years later a medic with the same first and last name as him was in Somalia. Helped treat the crew members at the first crash sight. He fast roped in after the crash. Pretty sure it was the same guy. Not a common last name.

Hipshot
05-22-2007, 17:19
In 1969 there was an SF recruiter waiting at Fort Ord ( and other basic training post I presume) for those who had scored well on the basic entry tests. He (an SFC in Khakis with a chest full of decorations and wearing a Green Beret) came in front of the formation called out a few names of individuals to take a battery of tests to determine if they would be suited for SF Training. Therefore, my career path was Basic, AIT 12B, Parachute training and then to Phase 1 of the Q course. Completed Phase 3 in May of 70 and in August I was at CCN in Recon Co.

Of course I see now that things have changed and I admire those that are now becoming qualified as they really are "the best of the best of the best"

:D
Sounds like the same guy that recruited me in April, 1970. First day in the reception center at Ft Ord was spent taking tests. That night, the CQ runner came to four of us and were told to report to the SF recruiter the following morning. The line he used on us was that since SF had been withdrawn from VN (after a double agent was executed or so the story went), we would not be going to VN like the rest of our BCT class. Seems the needs of the service overrode enlistment contracts and everyone was going 11B (I was going to be a 95C). We were tested again, I volunteered, stayed at Ord for 11B AIT, and watched my AIT company head to Oakland for VN while I headed to Benning. Made it to VN in Dec 71 with the FANK program.

incommin
05-22-2007, 18:19
Enlisted for airborne medic. Was going to go submarines in the Navy but my uncle was a SGM in the 101st and after he called and asked if I really wanted to spend 6 months at a time under water with a bunch of men, I went Army!

Finished basic at Ft Polk, got to AIT at Ft Sam and was called to talk to an SF recruiter the first week I was there. Left Ft Sam for Ft Bragg where I met some guys who taught me more than I realized for a long time!

Jim

FILO
05-24-2007, 10:38
My first 14 months in the Army I didn't have a patch on my uniform. Basic, Jump School, Phase one and Two. Then a two point question I got wrong was mysteriously discovered. In a test I took months before. Finished Phase Two with 699 points. Was sent packing

to Europe on levy ended with a Pathfinder unit, served there 3 years. ETSd to B/1/11, served on a team as a NQP but had to decide between returning to the Q or finish up my undergraduate degree and get married. I chose the latter, which to this day is about the only thing in life I regret.

Abu Jack
05-24-2007, 14:07
7 years. 2nd ID Korea, 9th ID, 25th ID. When I ran out of challenges in the conventional army, I went looking for them in SF.

Is there any upside to having your squad taken over by somebody else in that last year?

Since I do not have the experience, this obviously is probably not how it works, but the thought I had was that the presence of the previous leader who shows respect and helps integrate into the group the new squad leader, could thus get the team homestead with the new leader faster and, perhaps, further motivate (by the presence of another one pushing ahead).

I understand that there can be other nasty happenings during the wait or application, but another thread was pretty thorough on that. Please disregard this if it is a dumb question.

It is a dumb question but I'll answer it because you might learn something that will help you out in the future.

There is this principle in the military called "unity of command" It means one person in charge. The last thing a new leader wants is the last guy hanging around giving "advice". The new leader needs to get in, evaluate and take charge. Once you get replaced, butt the f*&k out and move on.

Abu Jack Out

Ret10Echo
05-25-2007, 04:48
6 1/2 years in the Signal Corp (Hey, I'm a Commo guy)...Korea, Ft Bragg, Berlin, Germany...
I was a section chief when I talked to the recruiter and started training for selection. My command thought is was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I was allowed maximum opportunities for PT (AM, Afternoon and evening sessions) as long as I checked on my troops and kept the weekly reports, etc on time and correct. Getting trained up on Berlin was a challenge but you do what you have to do in order to get the job done.

Heard stories, mostly from the combat-arms guys, about the dreaded "blacklist" once deciding to go to selection....

My .02, if your replacement shows up, he is just that. Show him where the bodies are buried and move out...

bost1751
05-25-2007, 05:16
A SF baby. No conventional time.

x SF med
05-25-2007, 09:33
4 yrs ROTC/SMP got released, Then enlisted with an SF Option. SMP was not considered Reserve time in the late 70's early 80's until you got your early commission or reserve commission. Glad I went the way I went, no matter if I dropped rank, I gained a lot more than rank in SF.

lksteve
05-25-2007, 17:38
not unlike NDD and others, i went to the 82nd, got out (spent time in the COARNG in an SF unit) and reentered the Army to serve in SF....after OCS, i spent 1 year in the 509th and transferred to 1/10 in Bad Toelz...

Tony G
09-07-2008, 09:43
SF from the start. 18X straight out of college.

Richard
09-07-2008, 09:59
I was drafted and after 5 days of testing, immunizations, and such, took the SF test. I was then discharged and re-enlisted as a volunteer for SF (12B changed to 91B after completing Phase 1). The BIG threat of not finishing SFTG was to be sent to the Eighty-Twice (11B), 20th Engineer Brigade (12B), the 44th Medical Brigade (91B), or the 50th Signal Battalion (05B). And if you REALLY pissed somebody off, you got sent to the Tilted Shithouse (1st Corps Support Command). :rolleyes:

Richard :munchin

SF_BHT
09-07-2008, 10:08
101st ABN then 82nd then on to the Q course and never looked back.....

skydoc60A5G
09-07-2008, 15:47
Guess you might as well hear the whole gamut......I was approached during MC Officer Basic in 1973...didn't volunteer until 9 years later after 4 years AD in Germany in Army Hospitals and some really interesting but militarily boring civilian time. Then finished the Reserve Q course starting with BAC at Ft. Benning in '83 with Phases I-III completion and full 5G qualification in '85...all of this as an active Reservist in the now deactivated 12th Special Forces Group...served 5 years in SF...best time in my military career.

Most of us got to SF as fast as we could...just took some of us longer than others...

GaretTrooper
09-07-2008, 16:44
My path was Basic, Inf AIT(where I volunteered) then 24 years in SF

ZonieDiver
09-07-2008, 18:44
I was drafted and after 5 days of testing, immunizations, and such, took the SF test. I was then discharged and re-enlisted as a volunteer for SF (12B changed to 91B after completing Phase 1). The BIG threat of not finishing SFTG was to be sent to the Eighty-Twice (11B), 20th Engineer Brigade (12B), the 44th Medical Brigade (91B), or the 50th Signal Battalion (05B). And if you REALLY pissed somebody off, you got sent to the Tilted Shithouse (1st Corps Support Command). :rolleyes:

I was a volunteer, not a draftee, but the SF recruiter got me in BCT at Ft. Lewis in Jan '70. AIT Inf at Ord, Airborne, and SF. We feared washing out and being sent not to the "Eighty-Twice," but to the "Almost Airborne"! (We had some other names for the 82nd, too.) My conventional infantry time came later, after deactivation of 8th SFGA.

Blitzzz (RIP)
09-08-2008, 07:03
Hey Guys, this ids it.
Joined the army out of High school 1967 (unknowingly as AIRBORNE unassigned)
SO they sent me to:
Basic at Ft Benning Ga.

AIT at Ft Gorden Ga. for MP school ( I declined a wavier for Jump School as that is why I came into the army and was sent to FT Benning for Jump School, INSTEAD of to the 716 MP Battalion in Siagon in Dec of 68 ) yes, I do believe in a God.

AT Jump School I heard that I was going to Ft Bragg to the 82 MPs, and started looking for some other line of work. Then the SF recruited walked through the class area letting all know that SF testing would be that weekend. I took the test and was sent to Bragg to SF school. Never spending a day as an MP>
Finished 12B and was ordered to 1st group on OKI ( Throw me in the Brier patch!).

In end of 1972 I was returned to Bragg where the SF slots were filled ( due to the returning of 5 th Group and the recent deactivations of the 3rd and 6th)

I was assigned in route to the 47th Eng BN (Cbt ABn) who redesignated to 27th Eng Bn Cbt Abn.

Returned to 7th Group in1976 (free at last, free at last)

1980 was spent atDLI for German
1981-1983 in Det A Berlin

Returned to Ft Knox one year, May to May in the 522nd Eng Co. Mech.(Arrghhh)
Special note: it was a fantastic learning experience for conventional Army.

I returned to 10 SFG at Devins as Team Sgt of 055 and then to Key West for three years and then to 5th group until I retired in'92. ( I was forced the retire as I had declined SGM Academy 3 times to stay a Team Sgt)

THE END. Dave Boltz (blitz)

greenberetTFS
09-08-2008, 13:56
It was about 18 months in the 82nd.....An opportunity came up to join the 77th and I jumped at it. Only problem was it lasted less than a year and I was on my way to the 11th Abn in Germany. There was a major cutback and we were the first to go......"Banks Babies" is how we were fondly referred as,by the vets in the 77th. :boohoo

GB TFS :D

Mike
09-09-2008, 15:15
Enlisted Airborne Infantry Nov. 66 to beat the draft.
That was all I could get by enlisting.
I tested and passed for Infantry OCS.
At Ft Puke BCT they told us there would be a 6 month holdover for OCS and we would be assistant drill instructors while waiting for a class.
I opted out and went to Ft Gordon for Airborne Infantry AIT.
3/4 of the way thru they pulled 3 of us out of a two company formation.
They told us we had to go take the Special Forces test.
Cool-no training that day.
I was later notified that pending graduation from BAC I was to report to JFKSWC and SFTG.
There I would be trained to help save the world from the encroaching red tide.
I went to 6th Gp after SFTG, 2 tours 5th Grp as an A Team Puke, 6 months with 7th Grp and out.
All in 47 months.
I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Dozer523
09-09-2008, 15:38
I'd been in about 6 years.

Infantry School, A tour in Germany another school, off to Korea then told I needed some TDA time. So they offered me IMA. I'd never heard of it but I'd been to the other choice. Imagine my surprise when I found out they wer SENDING me to the Special Warfare Center! Worked there for about a year and my CSM told me I ought to change the color of my beret. So off I went!

Rattlerjake
10-23-2011, 12:27
Straight off the street. I was lucky, my brother-in-law was an SF SFC in the FL Reserves. When I went to the recruiter, he got them to put the BS aside and sign me straight up. Graduated SFQC 1 year to the day after signing into the reception station, and spent 22+ years with the greatest group of guys ever.

cant hardly
10-23-2011, 12:48

mark46th
10-26-2011, 13:00
Hipshot- Same deal here. At Ft Ord in July of 1970, SF SFC recruiter talked to us. Basic, Commo AIT at Ft Ord, Jan 71 Jump School at Ft Benning, Feb 71 to Ft Bragg for Phase I SFTG. I met some guy there named Richard....

greenberetTFS
10-26-2011, 14:44
I was a volunteer, not a draftee, but the SF recruiter got me in BCT at Ft. Lewis in Jan '70. AIT Inf at Ord, Airborne, and SF. We feared washing out and being sent not to the "Eighty-Twice," but to the "Almost Airborne"! (We had some other names for the 82nd, too.) My conventional infantry time came later, after deactivation of 8th SFGA.

It's Eighty Deuce guys!.........:rolleyes: I won't go into my story because I know you guys have read it already.........:lifter

Big Teddy :munchin

Snaquebite
10-26-2011, 14:53
Drafted...approached by a SF recruiter....took all the tests/passed...discharged and then enlisted for SF...stayed for 28 years with a 4 year stint in "another"unit....

fasteddie565
10-31-2011, 21:17
9th ID, 2nd Rgr Bn, talking to my assignment officer trying to get a follow on Abn Asignment after the Infantry Officer Advanced Course.

NO to 82nd
NO to Alaska
NO to Italy

My BN Cdr said from the corner of his mouth "Ask him if you can go SF. My Assignment Officer said "sure" and hung up. I had orders in two weeks to FT Benning follow on to Bragg and never looked back.

The best decision??? of my life.:confused:

Basenshukai
11-01-2011, 00:09
Answer to original question by the OP: 4 yrs.

SPEC4
11-01-2011, 16:08
Enlisted-Airborne unassigned-July 1968

Boot Camp- Fort Ord

Airborne Infantry at Fort Gordon- Nov. 1968 That's when I was pulled, with a few others to take the SF battery of tests. (any Camp Crockett survivors out there ?)

Jump school at Fort Benning January 1969

Phase one- Feb 1969

19th birthday July 1969

Completed 12B training in October 1969, off to 6th Group.

June 1971- 8th SFG, opportunity to reup with a guarantee that I would no longer be SF, no thanks discharged at 20 years old, couldn't vote or buy a drink.

The experience and training I received has been priceless throughout my life......just sayin':D

alright4u
11-01-2011, 19:06
9th ID, 2nd Rgr Bn, talking to my assignment officer trying to get a follow on Abn Asignment after the Infantry Officer Advanced Course.

NO to 82nd
NO to Alaska
NO to Italy

My BN Cdr said from the corner of his mouth "Ask him if you can go SF. My Assignment Officer said "sure" and hung up. I had orders in two weeks to FT Benning follow on to Bragg and never looked back.

The best decision??? of my life.:confused:

You were in that unit?

Last hard class
11-05-2011, 09:33
Drafted...approached by a SF recruiter....took all the tests/passed...discharged and then enlisted for SF...stayed for 28 years with a 4 year stint in "another"unit....

Just curious:

Why did you draft guys have to be discharged before you could enlist in SF? Apologies if I am misinterpreting the statement.

Thanks.

LHC

Richard
11-05-2011, 09:47
Why did you draft guys have to be discharged before you could enlist in SF?

SF was a wholly volunteer option with a minimum 3 year active duty commitment in the Regular Army (RA) vs an involuntary 2 year active duty commitment as a draftee (US).

To meet the commitments, we were allowed to be discharged and voluntarily re-enlist for the SF option.

One thing about that, we did not receive our signed official discharge certificates and orders until after we had re-enlisted. ;)

mark46th
11-07-2011, 09:05
Yup- I still have 2 DD214's...

Ambush Master
11-07-2011, 09:56
Yup- I still have 2 DD214's...

I've got 3!!

Pete
11-07-2011, 10:05
.....To meet the commitments, we were allowed to be discharged and voluntarily re-enlist for the SF option. .........

Was the same for other schools. I can't remember which one it was but I was outside the reenlistment window and the requirement was too long for an extension. So to meet TIS requirements I had to do the discharge/enlist route.

So that generated my first DD214 as a 12B2S (Maybe a 3S, I'd have to dig it out").