PDA

View Full Version : Spartan Blades Wins Again @ Blade!

HaveBlue
06-04-2017, 15:52
2017 American Made Knife of the Year® – Spartan Blades Kranos!

JJ_BPK
06-04-2017, 17:24
Congratulation to Curtis and the gang at Spartan Blades..

:lifter:lifter:lifter:lifter

Agoge2
06-04-2017, 21:43
Congratulations for a job well-done!

The Reaper
06-05-2017, 08:17
Well done, Mark and Curtis!

Always great to see SF brothers doing well.

TR

DJ Urbanovsky
06-05-2017, 14:17
They earned it. And they're wonderful human beings, too.

Bill Harsey
06-07-2017, 09:10
Well done Spartan Blades!

the kids, they grow up so fast :lifter

mcarey
06-12-2017, 13:26
Thank You! We try hard and have been blessed!:o

mcarey
06-28-2017, 14:27
Some nice pics of a plain Ti with Carbon Fiber from Mr. Pittman.

PRB
06-28-2017, 20:18
Thank You! We try hard and have been blessed!:o

What do you guys think about Bainite L6 steel? I've a Katana made in that, and altho not traditional, appears to be an excellent cutter of hard materials and keeps a razor edge.

mcarey
07-06-2017, 08:12
What do you guys think about Bainite L6 steel? I've a Katana made in that, and altho not traditional, appears to be an excellent cutter of hard materials and keeps a razor edge.

Sorry but I am not familiar with the steel.

I looked up specs and it should is a tool steel (so not heavy on chrome (SS). Looks like great impact toughness, but I imagine from its specs it will not hold an edge for too long, but should resharpen easily. The heat treat band is very narrow, so that with proper quench will be critical. The temper and optional cryo treatment are key to getting the best performance from this steel by the specs. Be sure an keep is clean and lightly oiled when in storage.

JJ_BPK
07-06-2017, 08:56
Congratulation to Mark and Curtis.. :lifter:lifter

Local Knife Maker Named Best in the U.S. — Again,,
LAURA DOUGLASS, Jul 5, 2017 Updated 16 hrs ago

Named for the Greek word for helmet, the Kranos folder began building buzz immediately at the International Blade Show in Atlanta, Ga.

“We took 30 to the show and entered one for the awards,” said Curtis Iovito, cofounder of Spartan Blades, a small knife manufacturing business located in Southern Pines. “We sold everything and the last one was in Mark’s pocket. We sold that one too!”

Sponsored by Blade magazine, the annual knife show brings together industry professionals, small and large manufacturers, custom builders, and collectors to view the newest knives on the market. Last year Spartan Blades won the coveted American Made Knife of the Year award for its Spartan-Harsey folder, or SHF, a collaboration between iconic knife maker and designer, William W. Harsey, Jr. and Spartan Blades.

This year the company did it again: the Kranos was recognized as the best knife made in the United States, an award voted on by Spartan’s competitors and peers.

“We were looking to improve on what we did last year,” Iovito said.

link: (http://www.thepilot.com/business/local-knife-maker-named-best-in-the-u-s-again/article_247d463a-61c5-11e7-a48e-77b79d05e87a.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share)

Badger52
07-06-2017, 19:30
Awesome! :cool:

CSB
07-07-2017, 11:58
I realize the answer is "If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it"
but ...

PRB
07-07-2017, 15:50
Sorry but I am not familiar with the steel.

I looked up specs and it should is a tool steel (so not heavy on chrome (SS). Looks like great impact toughness, but I imagine from its specs it will not hold an edge for too long, but should resharpen easily. The heat treat band is very narrow, so that with proper quench will be critical. The temper and optional cryo treatment are key to getting the best performance from this steel by the specs. Be sure an keep is clean and lightly oiled when in storage.

Thanks....it holds a great edge, one of its key properties along with flexability/ability to absorb impact. There are 3 Rockwell properties in the blade and with the proper quenching a martensite cutting edge. The maker demonstrates his blade chopping a 2/4 in half and then immediately cutting a piece of paper slowly.
The issue is it is difficult to work to get the proper hardness etc. and is expensive for a large blade.
I like it's impact absorption due to the different materials one can practice cut...Ive only made about 35 cuts so far on rolled 6" tatami but the edge is still razor sharp.

Sorry for the mis direct and congrats on your continued success

tunanut
08-03-2017, 10:30
Congrats Mark, Curtis, and company, beautiful knife. Ya'll have come a long ways from the woodshed days. You probably don't remember our visit, I picked up a folder for my son who was just named to the NC Zone swim team and I wanted to get him something special for the work he had put in. Thanks for inspiring my son to continue to work hard and customising his blade into something special for him. You guys were an outstand voice in his ear. It's with him in Blacksburg now, training for ACC champs has already started for the VT swim team. Thanks again and congrats on the award.

mcarey
08-07-2017, 08:38
Congrats Mark, Curtis, and company, beautiful knife. Ya'll have come a long ways from the woodshed days. You probably don't remember our visit, I picked up a folder for my son who was just named to the NC Zone swim team and I wanted to get him something special for the work he had put in. Thanks for inspiring my son to continue to work hard and customising his blade into something special for him. You guys were an outstand voice in his ear. It's with him in Blacksburg now, training for ACC champs has already started for the VT swim team. Thanks again and congrats on the award.

Congrats and continued success to your son! I am sure he is a reflection of you and your wife's good parenting.