PDA

View Full Version : 8 More State IDs Will No Longer Be Accepted at Bases

LarryW
06-03-2017, 10:19
Not a bad idea, but this mght make it hard to get to an Exchange or PX if you don't hold a Military ID Card. Not to mention getting to the dispensary or clinic on base. There's other problems, too. Just saying…

8 More State IDs Will No Longer Be Accepted at Bases

Driver's licenses and most other IDs issued by eight additional states will no longer be accepted as official identification for accessing U.S. military bases -- starting July 10 -- unless new extensions are granted by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Pentagon officials said this week.

All non-enhanced, state-issued IDs from Oregon, Alaska, Oklahoma, Kentucky, South Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Washington will join IDs from Montana, Minnesota, Missouri and Maine on the list of those that do not comply with federal identification standards and cannot be used to enter federal facilities, according to DHS.

At issue is a 2005 law known as the Real ID Act, which requires states to meet minimum security requirements for state-issued ID cards such as driver's licenses, according to DHS. Although the agency’s extension for the eight states expires June 6, Pentagon officials have granted extra time for DoD-operated locations.

"After a short grace period, we will begin enforcing the Real ID Act's prohibition on July 10th, 2017," said Navy Cmdr. Linda K. Rojas, a DoD spokesperson.

Lawmakers in South Carolina, Alaska, Washington, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Montana, Minnesota and Maine have passed legislation to bring their state IDs into compliance, according to news reports. However, simply passing a law does not automatically ensure an extension, a DHS official said. As of June 2, those states had not been granted extra time, Rojas said.

(more)
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/06/03/8-more-state-ids-will-no-longer-be-accepted-at-bases.html?ESRC=todayinmil.sm

echoes
06-03-2017, 12:07
Comply or die with the real ID act. No admittance to federal facilities, airports aircraft etc. You can however vote without a valid ID.

This is troublesome for sure....am contacting my airline to make sure, as I am flying to CO in mid -July for some R&R in Buena Vista.

Have been planning for months, and am going to be really sore if my ID is not accepted at the Airport in Tulsa.

Holly

CAARNG 68W
06-03-2017, 12:15
I'm surprised California is not on this list with Gov. Grey Davis's and Gov. Schwarzenegger's giving Driver's Licenses to Illegal-Fucking-Aliens

echoes
06-03-2017, 12:55
Southwest said it goes in to affect in 2018 for their flights with passengers holding Oklahoma I.D.:munchin

Also, they said to check the TSA website for all updates.

Holly