PDA

View Full Version : Wreath Laying Memorials - Question

LarryW
05-21-2017, 23:11
Sirs:

My apologies for being inept at finding what is probably the easiest answer on Google, but I confess to being stumped.

As part of a Memorial Service next Sunday at my church a USA Vietnam Vet is hoping to include a wreath laying segment. He is under the impression that there are words or a standard dedication generally spoken at such a solemn occasion as a wreath laying, and I'm trying to help him find those words.

My friend is a life member of a local but very small and aged VFW Post, a vet who currently suffers from several disabilities from exposure to Agent Orange, and who will soon put all that agony behind him.

The Memorial Service set for next Sunday (5/28) is one he planned and organized on his own initiative. He went so far as to fabricate 31 large frames with individualized tributes recognizing the service of some of our local KIAs/MIAs and for some of our first responders, and he will be presenting them to family members during this service.

My friend is a slight of frame and very gentle person who loves his country and his community. He's a good man and a fine vet.

I am asking only for your help in finding the words spoken during a wreath laying event.

Please help if you can. I just need some rudder orders.

Thanks very much, sirs.

PSM
05-21-2017, 23:59
He is under the impression that there are words or a standard dedication generally spoken at such a solemn occasion as a wreath laying, and I'm trying to help him find those words.

Tell him to let his heart speak. Boilerplate words are not sincere. Salute!

Pat

LarryW
05-22-2017, 03:17
Tell him to let his heart speak. Boilerplate words are not sincere. Salute!

Pat

Good advice, Pat. Thanks.

JJ_BPK
05-22-2017, 05:06
Not a spurt, But I have never heard or seen Wreath ceremonies with either a format or set prayer list.

All have been short speeches by the presenter or a family member. They were personalized eulogies, similar to what is said at funerals.

NOW,, depending on your friends religious preferences,, many funerals use a "church" prayer list. Some are specifically set for fallen soldiers, while others are set for small children,, ect..

Example:

May 26, 2014

3 Prayers for Our Fallen Soldiers on Memorial Day

As we approach Memorial Day, our thoughts turn to the brave soldiers who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces enabling us to enjoy continued freedom. Spend some time during this holiday praying for fallen soldiers, their families, and the sweet redemption of our Lord.
Photo courtesy of: The U.S. Army

There can be no question that the price for our freedom in the United States is high. From our earliest roots as a country, battles and blood have been the currencies that paid for the precious freedom we have to live, worship, and speak as we see fit. Our parents, siblings, friends, sons and daughters have all given their lives, and while we never truly forget, Memorial Day is a special time for us to come together by praying for our fallen soldiers and remembering the price of our hard won freedoms.
There is No Greater Love

Soldiers are asked to make the ultimate sacrifice. It takes an incredible person to face the possibility of war and death, especially a death that will save the lives of people you have never even met. John 15:13 says, “Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.” Just as Jesus sacrificed his life so that we may be free, so too have many of our nation’s soldiers. On Memorial Day—and every other day—we can say a prayer of thanks for those brave souls willing to make such a sacrifice for our country, letting them know that the love they have for their country is being returned by its people.
Every Precious Soul

Psalm 116:15 comforts us with this verse: “Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints.” Losing a loved one is devastating, but we can take comfort in knowing that God holds those soldiers close who have been born again in Christ, and honors their dedication. Pray that their souls have found God and are at rest with Him. Spend time remembering those soldiers, both those who are lost and those who survived to come home to us. Many soldiers who come home face additional challenges, and perhaps knowing they are not forgotten on this holiday may be the comfort that heals any emotional or physical wounds they now carry.
Take Comfort in the Lord

“The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart,” offers another comforting passage found in Psalm 34:18. Remembering our lost loved ones can be painful, especially if the grief is still fresh. Pour your hurt out to the Lord and feel His comforting embrace upon you and your other loved ones who are grieving. If you can, use Memorial Day to visit a memorial or cemetery and say a prayer for the families of our fallen soldiers. Feel the peace of God’s love and hold close to your memories.

See link:

https://www.endtime.com/blog/3-prayers-fallen-soldiers-memorial-day/

BUT these were individual wreaths, not Memorial Day efforts.

I would suggest you contact Arlington National Cemetery (search their site) for generic and/or specific scriptures.

LarryW
05-22-2017, 08:50
Not a spurt, But I have never heard or seen Wreath ceremonies with either a format or set prayer list.

All have been short speeches by the presenter or a family member. They were personalized eulogies, similar to what is said at funerals.

NOW,, depending on your friends religious preferences,, many funerals use a "church" prayer list. Some are specifically set for fallen soldiers, while others are set for small children,, ect..

I would suggest you contact Arlington National Cemetery (search their site) for generic and/or specific scriptures.

Thanks, sir. Good advice.

The ceremony will be part of our church service. He and I will present the colors and another vet will place the wreath before the alter. Then my friend will read the dedication we finally come up with, but this is one of those times when the risk is putting too many wheels on a bicycle. The goal is to honor the fallen and those currently serving, as well as first responders. The dedication needs to be personal and simple as Pat suggested. I checked out the Arlington site, the Wreaths Across America site, and some veteran sites.

Thanks for the advice, sirs.

cbtengr
05-22-2017, 12:25
Place the wreath then present a solemn salute in honor of those the wreath is for, hold that salute for 21 seconds. Keep it simple just like we all learned in the military.