PDA

View Full Version : Army uniform board to consider bringing back iconic 'pinks and greens' uniform

Pete
05-15-2017, 06:16
Army uniform board to consider bringing back iconic 'pinks and greens' uniform

https://www.armytimes.com/articles/army-uniform-board-to-consider-bringing-back-iconic-pinks-and-greens-uniform

"What's old is new again as Sergeant Major of the Army Dan Dailey pushes ahead on bringing back a vintage uniform.

The Army's top enlisted soldier is heading to the next uniform board meeting, armed with the results of an exclusive Army Times survey, to make the case for bringing back an iconic, World War II era uniform for everyday business wear, he told Army Times in an interview this week.

"That was the uniform of the 'Greatest Generation.' There was a lot of prestige and honor associated with that. The American public identified with that uniform," he said. "We think that is more appropriate than trying to create something new." ..."

This will push the Blues back up to a dress uniform.

PRB
05-15-2017, 10:04
Please do this Mother Army....that Blues abomination is an...well, an abomination and the ugliest damn conglomeration of shit I've ever seen. Bar none.

Right up there with N Korea in uniform beauty.

JimP
05-15-2017, 13:09
Having spent a fair bit of time amongst the leaf-eaters, I'm not sure todays fat-bastige soldiers can fit in these.

Pete
05-15-2017, 14:46
Pink and Greens was an officer's uniform.

Enlisted wore the OD(brownish) pants, jacket and shirt. Due to variations in contractors the shades of the enlisted could vary a bit - but never enough to be confused with P&G's. This uniform transitioned into the dark green pants and jacket with the khaki poplin shirt and black tie.

JimP - the Ike Jacket is a whole different kettle of fish and did enjoy a period of favor and was kicked around the summer of 2015 as a uniform update.

abc_123
05-15-2017, 14:50
Having spent a fair bit of time amongst the leaf-eaters, I'm not sure todays fat-bastige soldiers can fit in these.

I don't think that they are talking the Ike jacket. There was a love-hate relationship with that even at the time ... as it would constantly ride up and need to be pulled down let alone not being very forgiving to any little change in body composition.

We need to get over this bad experiment and go back to what made sense. Class B's, Class A's (brown, or green....anything but what we have now) and then Dress and Mess blue uniforms. IF you are an NCO of whatever grade or below...no need to maintain a blue uniform wear A's with a bow tie as necessary. Officers and senior (read: Career) NCOs suck it up and buy the uniform and take a tax deduction...

Put the damn unit patch back on a new A uniform and get all the combat patch pins off the Dress Blues. Good lord... Black Jump Boots with Blue Pants with a yellow stripe tucked in with a white shirt and a Green Beret. What a disaster.

JJ_BPK
05-15-2017, 16:02
Pink and Greens was an officer's uniform.

Enlisted wore the OD(brownish) pants, jacket and shirt. Due to variations in contractors the shades of the enlisted could vary a bit - but never enough to be confused with P&G's. This uniform transitioned into the dark green pants and jacket with the khaki poplin shirt and black tie.

JimP - the Ike Jacket is a whole different kettle of fish and did enjoy a period of favor and was kicked around the summer of 2015 as a uniform update.

I did a little google fu. There was a multiplicity of P&G. Some had the cloth belt, others leather, some had the leather belt with the strap over the shoulder. If you look at the picture with Ike and several others, there is at least three or four different shades and a couple styles..

I think most O's and Sr NCO's had the uniforms tailored, so the material was "as available".

I liked the wash-n-waar poplin we had for summers in the 60't & 70t's. I think it would be THE material choice for a retro P&G,, maybe with a darker brown jacket.

There was also the tan uniform the Audie Murphy wore after the war,, but so did Ike and General Westmoreland into the early 60t's

The Reaper
05-15-2017, 20:52

Precisely.

None of those uniforms look good on people with extra weight.

What are they thinking this time?

TR

PRB
05-15-2017, 21:30
Precisely.

TR

He's not recommending the Ike jacket....just something similar to the old Greens, a full jacket, maybe with an integral belt. In a traditional Army brown or green.

I hope like all hell he is successful....the Army looks like unkempt/color blind fools in that blue abomination.

Since when do you design anything in the military to assist fat people? Wrong way to think. No uniform looks good on fatties....maybe a full Burka.

Peregrino
05-16-2017, 07:39
As Pete points out, Pinks and Greens were for officers. The enlisted uniforms of the period weren't nearly as "flattering". If they want to bring back a "retro" uniform for Class B wear, my vote goes for TWs (en lieu of khakis).

doctom54
05-16-2017, 10:12
As Pete points out, Pinks and Greens were for officers. The enlisted uniforms of the period weren't nearly as "flattering". If they want to bring back a "retro" uniform for Class B wear, my vote goes for TWs (en lieu of khakis).

I agree the TWs were the best office work uniform ever.

Badger52
05-16-2017, 11:57
I agree the TWs were the best office work uniform ever.+2

Also on the list of those glad for never having to endure that current blue abomination, and being satisfied with basic OD utilities or jungle fatigues; on parade that blue thing it looks kind of like Salvation Army-Auxiliary (not meant disparagingly toward the SA but I've had to answer questions at holidays on main street to answer "now who are those guys...?").

glebo
05-16-2017, 17:08
Well, as stated, anything you have to tuck in...wouldn't work so well with some of the soldiers I've seen around. I'm talking khakis, I'm not familiar with "pinks and greens".. I came in in '78, we had khakis and green class A's.

I've been retired for 18yrs, and I am thinner that some of the soldiers I have seen..and I'm at 230#'s :eek:

Now, the wounded warriors, not their fault, but the rest...:rolleyes:

miclo18d
05-16-2017, 18:12
You fellas are going the wrong way here!

Daily uniform in the team room was either boots and utes or my favorite...

Ranger panties, team t-shirt (untucked), and an SF themed ball cap! Seriously, can you fight in pinks and greens? You can in Ranger panties!

Go Devil
05-16-2017, 20:18
Precisely.

TR

It's not what they are thinking, it's what the contractors are wanting.

glebo
05-17-2017, 03:34
It's not what they are thinking, it's what the contractors are wanting.

And retired GO's who have dibs in the companies...

PRB
05-17-2017, 15:52
And retired GO's who have dibs in the companies...

Could be but in this case I still support it....in the present uniform they do not look Army nor military and there is no tradition or heritage associated with it.
I don't buy into the Colonial Army colors crap.

Pete
05-17-2017, 17:21
.....I don't buy into the Colonial Army colors crap.

Dark Blue over Light Blue was pretty much the Service Uniform from pre Civil War until just after the SpanAm War.

Regular Army went to Cuba wearing dark blue shirts and jackets over light blue pants. The khaki leggings and 1883 campaign hat were a couple of nice touches.

That color combo lived on in the Dress and Mess Blues - until it became the abortion called the new service uniform.

PRB
05-17-2017, 17:35
Dark Blue over Light Blue was pretty much the Service Uniform from pre Civil War until just after the SpanAm War.

Regular Army went to Cuba wearing dark blue shirts and jackets over light blue pants. The khaki leggings and 1883 campaign hat were a couple of nice touches.

That color combo lived on in the Dress and Mess Blues - until it became the abortion called the new service uniform.

Yeah, I know, but I remember the GO/SMA initial selling of this present contraption and that's where they started the 'history' of the tradition.

The WW2 period of uniforms and later is the way to go...our world power uniform history.

bushmaster11
05-18-2017, 21:36
Peregrino is on target. Bring back TWs. That includes the coat that Murphy and Westmoreland are wearing. Not khakis, but TW. It is a uniform that actually is comfortable in any climate. But much better than khaki in the summer, it is lighter weight. The only downside is they need to be dry cleaned. It would create a hardship on the lower grades.

JR sends
DOL

JJ_BPK
05-19-2017, 06:47
Peregrino is on target. Bring back TWs. That includes the coat that Murphy and Westmoreland are wearing. Not khakis, but TW. It is a uniform that actually is comfortable in any climate. But much better than khaki in the summer, it is lighter weight. The only downside is they need to be dry cleaned. It would create a hardship on the lower grades.

JR sends
DOL

I think today's technologies have that fixed. I have several fishing shirts from the likes of Columbia's PFG, that look, feel, wear like TW's, are iron free and wash-n-ware.. :munchin

link to: example (http://www.columbia.com/mens-pfg-tamiami-ii-short-sleeve-shirt-FM7266.html?cgid=activity-fishing&dwvar_FM7266_variationColor=909#prefn1=productClas s&amp%3Bprefv1=Shirts&mid=paidsearch&nid=COL%7CBrand%7CActivities%2B-%2BFishing%7CGoogle%7CPhrase%7CUS&oid=Fishing_Shirts_General&did=columbia+fishing+shirts&eid=Google%2BAdwords%2BUS&s_kwcid=AL!3937!3!190135479054!p!!g!!columbia+fish ing+shirts&gclid=CN23mt3_-9MCFZeLswodgXIONg&ef_id=WN5QGAAAAgNaCej5%3A20170519125141%3As&start=0)

PRB
05-19-2017, 10:53
I think today's technologies have that fixed. I have several fishing shirts from the likes of Columbia's PFG, that look, feel, wear like TW's, are iron free and wash-n-ware.. :munchin

link to: example (http://www.columbia.com/mens-pfg-tamiami-ii-short-sleeve-shirt-FM7266.html?cgid=activity-fishing&dwvar_FM7266_variationColor=909#prefn1=productClas s&amp%3Bprefv1=Shirts&mid=paidsearch&nid=COL%7CBrand%7CActivities%2B-%2BFishing%7CGoogle%7CPhrase%7CUS&oid=Fishing_Shirts_General&did=columbia+fishing+shirts&eid=Google%2BAdwords%2BUS&s_kwcid=AL!3937!3!190135479054!p!!g!!columbia+fish ing+shirts&gclid=CN23mt3_-9MCFZeLswodgXIONg&ef_id=WN5QGAAAAgNaCej5%3A20170519125141%3As&start=0)

TW's were great but I doubt they'll go that route as they are not Class A's and it would increase the uniform load.
Probably the class A pants with an appropriate shirt....if I were on the board that shirt would have full sized stripes.

Badger52
05-19-2017, 11:31
....if I were on the board that shirt would have full sized stripes.THANK You!

JJ_BPK
05-19-2017, 11:42
TW's were great but I doubt they'll go that route as they are not Class A's and it would increase the uniform load.
Probably the class A pants with an appropriate shirt....if I were on the board that shirt would have full sized stripes.

I was talking about the TW material technology advancements.

If it was applied to the WWII "pinks & greens" pattern of jackets & pants, it would be great as a mid-lite weight non-formal garrison uniform. take the jacket off for summer lights.

I also liked the tucked in tie.

AND make sure it was not like the USMC counterpart..

Team Sergeant
05-19-2017, 11:46
You guys are not thinking out of the box.........amateurs

This is a uniform!

PRB
05-19-2017, 14:05
You guys are not thinking out of the box.........amateurs

This is a uniform!

Chelsea Manning would go for that look....wait heshe already has!

miclo18d
05-19-2017, 17:59
I was in the final phase of the 18D course when Shitseki did the black beret thing and one of the civilian contractors (former 18d) put hthis pick up with a caption about new uniforms for the Army.

Badger52
05-19-2017, 20:41
I was in the final phase of the 18D course when Shitseki did the black beret thing and one of the civilian contractors (former 18d) put hthis pick up with a caption about new uniforms for the Army.Love it. Everybody gets 'issued' their feather duster.

PSM
05-19-2017, 21:46
No uniform looks good on fatties...

Saw this the other day at the dentist. With the tiny subdued rank insignias I couldn't tell his rank but he was from the Intel School. He looked like Hitchcock in cammo! :eek:

Pat

cbtengr
05-20-2017, 08:06
Love it. Everybody gets 'issued' their feather duster.

Not to mention the thinning effect those stripes would have on our more doughy soldiers!

JJ_BPK
06-06-2017, 07:59
Looks like Canada has been reading this thread??

New CANSOF Dress Uniform

At CANSEC, Logistik Unicorp unveiled the new dress uniform for CANSOF personnel.

Reminiscent of US WWII issue ‘Pinks and Greens’, the uniform honors CANSOF’s lineage back to the service with the joint Canada/US unit, the First Special Service Force. Like the famed Black Devils, unit members will wear bloused jump boots, as well as a more modern affectation, their distictive Tan beret.

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/06/05/new-cansof-dress-uniform/

PRB
06-06-2017, 13:53
Looks like Canada has been reading this thread??

Nice. Looks like a military uniform and not like our present circus outfit.

Oh, and when I'm recalled to active duty as the SMA (waiting by the phone as we speak)....I will decree certain decorations now null and void....glad to be in the Army ribbon, I went to NCO school ribbon, the Army Achievement Ribbon (replaced with a 3 day pass) etc....

Badger52
06-06-2017, 15:25
Oh, and when I'm recalled to active duty as the SMA (waiting by the phone as we speak)....I will decree certain decorations now null and void....glad to be in the Army ribbon, I went to NCO school ribbon, the Army Achievement Ribbon (replaced with a 3 day pass) etc....Hope you get the call Sergeant Major. Few years back as I was planning out a shadow box in prep for daughter's retirement I started researching some of these little pretties and it was quite the "holy shit, what IS this stuff?" experience.

PRB
06-06-2017, 16:38
What gets me is all the problems the military has now they worry about stupid shit and spend millions of dollars on new PT uniforms, new dress uniforms etc. I would like the find who it was implemented the PT belt and choke him out with one.

How about spending time and resources doing something like ohhh fuck I don't know, ammo for live fire training. Combat training. Marksmanship training.

I know I know weird ideas.

Rant off now.

Normally I would agree 100%...but I'd like to compromise and get rid of the present abomination and actually see soldiers in a military uniform...then leave it the fuck alone.

MR2
06-07-2017, 08:51
Normally I would agree 100%...but I'd like to compromise and get rid of the present abomination and actually see soldiers in a military uniform...then leave it the fuck alone.

Agreed. My implementation of a "dress" uniform would be a sash that all the attaboys would be attached to, easily donned, and rolled up for the next payday formation.

Airbornelawyer
06-07-2017, 16:49
Agreed. My implementation of a "dress" uniform would be a sash that all the attaboys would be attached to, easily donned, and rolled up for the next payday formation.

Kinda like this?

PRB
06-07-2017, 20:13

Ok, not a bad idea really...simple and sweet. I'd say a simple sam brown leather belt and miniature sized or full sized gongs for full dress mess.

OTOH, who made the freakin rule we needed a different uniform for formal events...we do not.

I'll say it again.

There is no need for a set of dress blues or a mess uniform...none. Class A's are totally appropriate and no stupid ass bow tie.

One very military uniform for all dress occasions....period. (still waiting on that phone call btw)....

JJ_BPK
10-09-2017, 16:59
No RFQ,, but RFI??

AUSA – Prototype Pinks and Greens

At AUSA PEO Soldier is demonstrating a prototype World War Two Pinks and Greens-style service dress uniform.

SGT Schacher and SFC Johnson wear prototypes of male and female versions of the uniform. This is only a prototype, intended to solicit feedback and there is currently no requirement for a new Service uniform. However, if this concept is adopted by the Army, the final uniforms will be different.

Here, SFC Johnson shows us the Class B Shirt. I’m very impressed by the work the uniform’s designers have done to research historical uniform items and adapt the styles to reflect modern tastes and materials.

What do you think?

This entry was posted on Monday, October 9th, 2017 at 18:50 and is filed under AUSA, Clothing, PEO-Soldier.

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

61 Responses to “AUSA – Prototype Pinks and Greens”

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/10/09/ausa-prototype-pinks-and-greens/

PRB
10-09-2017, 18:50
JJ ...yes.

PSM
10-09-2017, 19:03
My son still hasn't got his blues straight, yet, and he's only worn it once for pre-deployment inspection. ;)

Pat

Box
10-09-2017, 19:03
Hell, the starch isn't even dry from the last uniform change.

So much time and effort expended on shit like this when there are so many gears in the machine that need maintenance. The whole reason they fiddle-fucked around with the blue was supposed to be the desire for a single dress uniform.

Notice how they still have gender-specific jackets and headgear.
...somebody should get a relief-for-cause for not making these things gender neutral.

Badger52
10-09-2017, 20:39
Looks nice and I like that they seem to have taken that stupid grommet out of the hat. I like it. Then again I haven't had to play these musical wardrobes, being of a certain vintage & all.

TWITCHY
10-09-2017, 21:30
I’m not and never have been a soldier, but I was in Company C-2 Texas Aggie Corps. We wore these, or similar, dress uniforms. They are called “Midnights”.

MR2
10-09-2017, 21:59
Notice how they still have pronoun-specific jackets and headgear.
...somebody should get a relief-for-cause for not making these things pronoun neutral.

Fixed it for you...

mojaveman
10-10-2017, 00:34
Kinda like this?

Maybe more like this. :D

bblhead672
10-10-2017, 07:11
Notice how they still have gender-specific jackets and headgear.
...somebody should get a relief-for-cause for not making these things gender neutral.

Just thinking the same thing.

There should not be separate uniforms for different genders. The human body formerly known as female demands equality with the human body formerly known as male, thus no difference in uniforms, hats, shoes, underwear or anything else that may cause confusion about the wearer's human body perceived or actual birth chromosomes.

Guy
10-10-2017, 08:55
Just thinking the same thing.

There should not be separate uniforms for different genders. The human body formerly known as female demands equality with the human body formerly known as male, thus no difference in uniforms, hats, shoes, underwear or anything else that may cause confusion about the wearer's human body perceived or actual birth chromosomes.I tried on my wife's thong for shits & grins and it was horribly uncomfortable; I'll just stick with the "commando" style briefs.:p

Gender neutral? I'm not even entertaining that idea or catchphrase.:lifter

cbtengr
10-10-2017, 12:10
I tried on my wife's thong for shits & grins and it was horribly uncomfortable; I'll just stick with the "commando" style briefs.:p

I am sure a male thong would be a lot more comfortable.

Guy
10-10-2017, 12:49
I am sure a male thong would be a lot more comfortable.I'd free-ball-it before ever wearing one of those things!:o

rsdengler
10-10-2017, 13:21
I am sure a male thong would be a lot more comfortable.

LOL...OK are you sure we are talking about "Uniforms" and not something a "Male Dancer" would wear?....Hummmm:D

I'd free-ball-it before ever wearing one of those things!:o

Waaaaaa HaaaaaHaaaaa......Nice....LOL:munchin

Box
10-10-2017, 13:36
How this topic evolved from the state of US Army dress uniform fashion and style into a discussion on the viability of a man thong as an acceptable undergarment has me quite unsettled.

The uninvited mental image of GMFJ in a thong is just too much for my stomach to handle. I think instead of eating spaghetti and meatballs for supper tonight, I am going to be having a plateful of Tums in a low calorie Pepto-Bismol sauce.

To paraphrase Mahatma Gandhi, "I know, to banish this thong image altogether from one's memory is a difficult task. It cannot be achieved through pure personal effort. It can be done only by God's grace."

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti...
...amen

JJ_BPK
10-10-2017, 14:14
The uninvited mental image of GMFJ in a thong is just too much for my stomach to handle. I think instead of eating spaghetti and meatballs for supper tonight, I am going to be having a plateful of Tums in a low calorie Pepto-Bismol sauce.

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti...
...amen

Well maybe.. :munchin

Team Sergeant
10-10-2017, 14:16
I tried on my wife's thong for shits & grins and it was horribly uncomfortable; I'll just stick with the "commando" style briefs.:p

I knew it....... and suspected it for the last 10-15 years.......... :rolleyes:

Badger52
10-10-2017, 14:18
Some things, once imagined, cannot be unimagined.

abc_123
10-10-2017, 15:03
Sorry, but I'm going to hijack the Male Thong thread and comment on the uniform issue.

l like them. I'm getting real short but would gladly buy this uniform simply because our current blue class B and A uniform looks that bad. Can't go back to the greens because that would be too much of a spotlight on the decision making process that led us to where we are now.

Class A - Unit patch back on the uniform shoulder. Combat patch on the shoulder. I'm assuming officer rank would be on the shoulders a la the greens. Not sure where the officer rank on the class B's would be? (epaulettes? collar?) Doesn't show. Stripes on the class B sleeves where they belong, IMO.

Return the blues to being a more formal uniform as it was pre-war (1940?) and then again post-war until the greens went away. Yes its a second uniform (and now shoes?) from the Class A, but I think that having a formal uniform isn't all bad. Or you just kill it and do without a Dress Blue uniform in between the A's and Mess Dress....but if that's the case then all that will mean is that Officers will end up all buying Mess uniforms and we'll be right back to the same place as before.

JJ_BPK
10-10-2017, 15:14
I'd like to see the current dress blues disappear, and go from the greens&pinks up to blue mess waistcoat.

PRB
10-10-2017, 16:27
I'd like to see the current dress blues disappear, and go from the greens&pinks up to blue mess waistcoat.

I'd like to see the greens/pinks/Khaki look too.....I think Blue Mess is fine for the Officer Corps....they like that shit.

I never met an enlisted guy that gave a shit about dress blues of any type....I'd have rather of worn my class A's to ANY event.

Enlisted E1 to E9 do not need a 'formal blues' uniform....waste of money.

abc_123
10-10-2017, 20:53
I'd like to see the greens/pinks/Khaki look too.....I think Blue Mess is fine for the Officer Corps....they like that shit.

I never met an enlisted guy that gave a shit about dress blues of any type....I'd have rather of worn my class A's to ANY event.

Enlisted E1 to E9 do not need a 'formal blues' uniform....waste of money.

SGM,

No issue with your opinion (we are talking CLOTHES), but regarding your experience...

Maybe you never met an Enlisted man who gave a shit about dress blues of any type, but if they didn't exist, why did we change? (open question to anyone) So much of the reason for eliminating the Greens and combining them with the Blues was to reduce the cost of having to purchase the blues, and/or sew on new unit patches when PCSing and to (in my words only) make the career Enlisted soldiers who did not purchase the Dress Blue uniform for wear at formal functions feel less like second class citizens... Even though Class A's with bow ties were ALWAYS acceptable (in my experience). Now I will admit, it did stigmatize senior career NCOs who decided not to make a one time purchase of Dress Blues in the same manner that it would/did stigmatize Junior Officers who also did not purchase Blues (even though all JO's were practically marched to the Marlow White dude at some point).

PRB
10-10-2017, 22:33
SGM,

No issue with your opinion (we are talking CLOTHES), but regarding your experience...

Maybe you never met an Enlisted man who gave a shit about dress blues of any type, but if they didn't exist, why did we change? (open question to anyone) So much of the reason for eliminating the Greens and combining them with the Blues was to reduce the cost of having to purchase the blues, and/or sew on new unit patches when PCSing and to (in my words only) make the career Enlisted soldiers who did not purchase the Dress Blue uniform for wear at formal functions feel less like second class citizens... Even though Class A's with bow ties were ALWAYS acceptable (in my experience). Now I will admit, it did stigmatize senior career NCOs who decided not to make a one time purchase of Dress Blues in the same manner that it would/did stigmatize Junior Officers who also did not purchase Blues (even though all JO's were practically marched to the Marlow White dude at some point).

The uniform changed because the powers that be felt like it...there was no valid reason. Look what we did.
If dress blues were not an enlisted uniform no one would be a second class citizen.
The uniform today looks like a clown suit...neither fish nor fowl...a conglomeration of class A and formal wear that translates to bad taste.
I think Doorman or Band member when I see it.

PSM
10-11-2017, 00:57
I think Doorman or Band member when I see it.

Sorry, Pat, I think of this:

JJ_BPK
10-11-2017, 04:30
Not a fan of the current dress blues,, BUT

There are small niche venues where "blues" are historically correct.

The 1st Cavalry Division Horse Cavalry Detachment wares a traditional two tone blue with yellow braces.

The ANC Honor Guard uses the less traditional but current blues.

The 1st Cav will not change, and I don't think the ANC Cav should..

WarriorDiplomat
10-11-2017, 07:30
Seems like a bandaid over the damage done the last 8 years

I have no issue with this uniform I have an issue that with all of our current issues that need fixed this falls to the bottom on the priorities

Once again the troops.come first they.are really being considerate of the cost....the tactic of introducing more stressors to take our focus away from the real issues is nothing new.

JJ_BPK
10-17-2017, 07:25
Someone in the 5-sided outhouse must have a friend up North??

New special forces uniform a throwback to Second World War Devil’s Brigade

The new duds for Canada's top soldiers are part of a wider effort to assign unique dress to special forces and visibly identify the command’s 'distinct nature'

The top soldiers of Canada’s special forces have been issued new uniforms that harken back to those worn by the famed Devil’s Brigade of the Second World War.

The new duds, officially called the Distinctive Environmental Uniform or DEU, are part of a wider effort to assign unique dress to special forces and visibly identify the command’s “distinct nature” within the military, Maj. Alex Cadieux, a spokesman for the Canadian Special Operations Forces Command, noted in an email.

“The distinct uniform serves to identity Canadian Special Operations Forces Command as the fourth Canadian Armed Forces environment and strengthen organizational morale and cohesion across CANSOFCOM,” Cadieux said.

The uniforms will be issued to those who are considered “operators” within the command, meaning they have done unique special forces training and can take on front-line roles.

The uniforms would be worn at events such as ceremonial and routine parades, Remembrance Day, and for guards of honour.

The DEU uses existing Canadian military design patterns but has the same color scheme as those uniforms worn during the Second World War by the joint U.S.-Canadian First Special Service Force. That unit has been dubbed the Devil’s Brigade, and Canadian special forces say they trace their lineage back to those 1940s-era soldiers. First Special Service Force-style boots are also being worn by Canadian special forces.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/new-special-forces-uniform-a-throwback-to-second-world-war-devils-brigade

Badger52
12-18-2018, 16:32
POTUS at the Army-Navy game.
:cool:

PRB
12-19-2018, 22:57
I like it..... that Blues abomination looks like a cross between a waiter and a Libyan dictator.

Badger52
12-20-2018, 06:36
I like it..... that Blues abomination looks like a cross between a waiter and a Libyan dictator.Heh. Best definition of that POS uniform I've seen.

Utah Bob
12-20-2018, 09:21
I like it..... that Blues abomination looks like a cross between a waiter and a Libyan dictator.

And every time they come up with a new chrome plated qual badge for something it it gets worse.
I can’t think of anything more hideous looking than a green beret worn with blues.:rolleyes:

JJ_BPK
12-20-2018, 10:58
Notices that the badge seemed small on the crush cap. Looks like there were at least two sizes in the WWII timeframe. I suspect because uniforms were privately sourced, as opposed to today's mass bazillion dollar contracts.

Here is a reference vid on the topic. A bit long at 57+ minutes..

https://www.*******.com/watch?v=m-HCUjBq26I

sefryak
12-26-2018, 06:59
I think they look fantastic, better than either of their precursors. My only gripe would be the likely continued use of a name badge. They look awful imo, tacky and cheap.

Badger52
12-26-2018, 07:22
My only gripe would be the likely continued use of a name badge. They look awful imo, tacky and cheap.I remember thinking in West Berlin a long time ago how not wearing that name plate (was a Berlin thing) really cleaned up the Class A's of the time.

scooter
12-26-2018, 17:26
I think they look fantastic, better than either of their precursors. My only gripe would be the likely continued use of a name badge. They look awful imo, tacky and cheap.

May your wish be granted!

The new greens appear to be copying the Corps’ uniform - no name tags!

abc_123
12-26-2018, 19:59
I am close enough to retiring to be planning for it, but the new uniform has me considering an irrational expenditure to buy it.

The Army deserves a service dress uniform that looks respectable and displays the unit with which the Service Member is currently serving. We also deserve a distinctive semi-formal dress uniform that has it's own distinctive history and which is on par with our sister services.

In spite of it's failings, I still can't help but have some love for the Army.. even if she doesn't love me back.